Is now a good time to buy VTSMX?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
mj11711

Is now a good time to buy VTSMX?

Post by mj11711 »

What are your thoughts? I know dollar cost averaging rules but its pretty low right now and thinking of dumping my cash here... but that was my strategy early this year and I got royally screwed so really not sure. Looking for input/opinions.
nolesrule

Re: Is now a good time to buy VTSMX?

Post by nolesrule »

Is the money you put into it earlier this year needed soon? If so, why did you invest in a stock fund? If not, why does it matter what the current price is?
jadedfalcons

Post by jadedfalcons »

It's always a good time. I just made my biweekly purchase of VTSAX an hour ago.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

If you plan on investing for 20 years or more, chances are very high that now is a great time to buy and hold the total stock market.
Topic Author
mj11711

Post by mj11711 »

nolesrule wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:09 pm Is the money you put into it earlier this year needed soon? If so, why did you invest in a stock fund? If not, why does it matter what the current price is?
No I dont need this money for 10 years or so but want my money to grow... so far ive been losing majorly.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

VTSMX is actually pretty hard to buy nowadays because the only available share class for retail investors is VTSAX.

VTSMX is primarily used by other Vanguard funds (like LifeStrategy funds) or maybe a 401k account.

So, no -- now is not a good time to VTSMX :)
Misenplace

Post by Misenplace »

mj11711, you know that old Yogi Berra quote, "it's tough to make predictions, especially about the future."
You might get better guidance and a better feel for your overall portfolio if you do a Portfolio Review request, using this template:

Subject: Asking Portfolio Questions
the_wiki

Post by the_wiki »

If you need the money next month, probably not. If you need it in 10+ years, probably yes.
Lawrence of Suburbia

Post by Lawrence of Suburbia »

mj11711 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:22 pm
nolesrule wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:09 pm Is the money you put into it earlier this year needed soon? If so, why did you invest in a stock fund? If not, why does it matter what the current price is?
No I dont need this money for 10 years or so but want my money to grow... so far ive been losing majorly.
How old are you? What's this money for? Do you have other types of investments in your portfolio? What percentage? Are you aware of how the stock market works (short-term vs. long-term)? Have you worked out what your risk tolerance is?
SCHD 34% | VWIAX 32% | VTTVX 25% | DODBX 9% | ... and about 4 years' cash
nolesrule

Post by nolesrule »

mj11711 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:22 pm
Stocks go up, stocks go down. They mostly go up otherwise people wouldn't invest in them. But from time to time they go down. This seems to be one of those times. It'll go up again sooner or later.