Interest Rates are up - how much are you making on your cash?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Parkinglotracer

Interest Rates are up - how much are you making on your cash?

Post by Parkinglotracer »

As we know ... after years of interest rates being low, they are now where CDs and Treasuries are paying a return in the 3 to 4% range. I'd bet many people still have large amounts of money in checking, savings, and low interest paying accounts because they just haven't done anything to move their money. I have a good sum in my Vanguard MM fund paying 2% where with a little effort I could buy a 1 year treasury or Cd that pays twice that much. What moves could we all be making to maximize interest?

Of course I bonds are always a consideration too.

Current rates from Vanguard brokerage as of 19 Sep 2022

Term 6 Month 1 year 3 year 7 year

CDs 3.80% 4.00% 4.2% 4.3%

Treasuries 3.84% 4.02% 3.98% 3.77%
jebmke

Re: Interest Rates are up - how much are you making on your cash?

Post by jebmke »

The only cash I have is the amount set aside in my AMEX savings account to pay estimated taxes for 2022. I think it is ~ 1.5-2% but I really don't pay attention since the amount is low.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Parkinglotracer wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:11 am I have a good sum in my Vanguard MM fund paying 2%
2% is all it's paying when the 3-month t-bill is at 3.24%?
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

3% in the No Penalty CD from SaveBetter/Ponce Bank
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Our brick and mortar bank money market rate is up from .02% to .15% (I cannot explain this other than they don't have to pay any interest)

Most of our cash is in the Vanguard Federal Money Market (settlement). SEC Yield of 2.16% the last I looked.

That is good enough for now.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shess

Post by shess »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:22 am
Parkinglotracer wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:11 am I have a good sum in my Vanguard MM fund paying 2%
2% is all it's paying when the 3-month t-bill is at 3.24%?
That 3-month t-bill is paying 3.24% for the next three months. We don't know what VMFXX will be paying in 3 months, or even a more fair 45 days. The current 2.16% "7-day SEC yield" is kind of a lagging indicator, because it includes T-bills purchased 3 months ago ... just as your portfolio would if you had a rolling ladder of 3-month T-bills.

Hmm, I see that the average maturity is listed as 17 days. So maybe the comparable for VMFXX would be 4-week t-bills, currently at 2.53%, but they were 2.18% on 8/22.
Garco

Post by Garco »

Most of my noninvested cash is held at a federal credit union.

0.10% APY in a simple Savings account.
0.60% in an IMMA (subject to a minimum deposit).
1.12% to 1.75% in a Savings Builder (subject to a minimum deposited).
Last edited by Garco on Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
patrick

Post by patrick »

4.5% dollar-weighted average, not counting accounts opened only for signup bonuses. These are my preferred deposit accounts now:

6.17% at Digital Credit Union. $1,000 limit.

6% at H-E-B Debit. $2,000 limit. Requires some activity every 90 days to avoid fees, a $1 ACH push is sufficient.

5% at Varo Bank. $5,000 limit and direct deposit required.

2.18% at Enzo. No limit, and has very useful rewards. They pay 2% cashback on housing payments even if by ACH, though with a rather low limit. They pay 1% on general purchases which even includes paying off Citi credit cards through Citi's phone menu and paying US Bank credit cards through Paypal bill pay.
alluringreality

Post by alluringreality »

I started moving most of my cash into savings bonds a few years ago. The current variable I bond composite rate for the first 6 months is fairly decent, which is available between now and October. On a $10k investment, I think of the current rate as paying $480 over the first 6 months. The following rates are likely to be lower, since the current fixed rate is 0% real, meaning that payments are basically equal to inflation before taxes. One consideration with savings bonds is that they can't be redeemed in the first year, yet I bonds lack interest rate risk and duration risk like other cash alternatives.
30% Savings Bonds, 45% US Indexes, 25% Ex-US Indexes - Buy & Hold
ekid

Post by ekid »

My CR is paying ON THE JUMBOs only 0.08% (for 6 months)!

Its hard to find on their website- they obviously don't want to talk about it.

$25 minimum savings acct required. And I'm PO'd about that!
TheCaptain67

Post by TheCaptain67 »

Alliant "high-yield" savings account - 1.7%
VMFXX - Vanguard Federal Money Market - 2.17%
iBonds - mixed rates - as high as 9.62%
Munir

Post by Munir »

Vanguard US Treasury MM (VUSXX) is 2.32%.
GP813

Post by GP813 »

VMFXX has the bulk of my cash: 2.17%

My local Credit Union is paying basically nothing.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Making about -4% real in my best investment this year.
the_wiki

Post by the_wiki »

2% on Etrade Savings
2.3% on PCOXX money market fund.

Haven't tried very hard to do better, just took the easy road.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

homebuyer6426 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:37 pm Making about -4% real in my best investment this year.
But hey, at least your nominal is going to be more than in previous years so you'll get to pay a little more in taxes :beer
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Onlineid3089 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:08 pm
homebuyer6426 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:37 pm Making about -4% real in my best investment this year.
But hey, at least your nominal is going to be more than in previous years so you'll get to pay a little more in taxes :beer
It's okay, I switched to the $1 cereal.
Lawrence of Suburbia

Post by Lawrence of Suburbia »

Whatever my TIAA Traditional is paying (3.25%?) ...
Last edited by Lawrence of Suburbia on Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCHD 34% | VWIAX 32% | VTTVX 25% | DODBX 9% | ... and about 4 years' cash
Riprap

Post by Riprap »

USAA Savings Bank just paid me .23%

I have it for the FDIC insurance.

I admit I was really concerned about accessing cash to live on during the financial crisis, especially with money market funds possibly breaking the buck. It seemed like the financial system was on the brink of collapse.

Maybe I'm being overly cautious these days, but I guess I'm lucky that I can afford to be cautious.
mj11711

Post by mj11711 »

Ally bank Savings Account 2%
ekid

Post by ekid »

Riprap wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:48 pm USAA Savings Bank just paid me .23%

I admit I was really concerned about accessing cash to live on during the financial crisis, especially with money market funds possibly breaking the buck. It seemed like the financial system was on the brink of collapse.

Maybe I'm being overly cautious these days, but I guess I'm lucky that I can afford to be cautious.
Why does "FDIC insurance" impress you when the T-bill is backed by "The Full Faith and Credit"?
shess

Post by shess »

ekid wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:37 am

Why does "FDIC insurance" impress you when the T-bill is backed by "The Full Faith and Credit"?
If I have a T-bill maturing in 5 months, I am very certain I'll get my money back at the end of those 5 months. But I have no guarantee at all that I could sell the T-bill tomorrow to cover expenses I have next week.

The obvious solution is to plan well. But even that is harder to do if inflation is running at 10%.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

shess wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:46 am

If I have a T-bill maturing in 5 months, I am very certain I'll get my money back at the end of those 5 months. But I have no guarantee at all that I could sell the T-bill tomorrow to cover expenses I have next week.

The obvious solution is to plan well. But even that is harder to do if inflation is running at 10%.
Tips. The whole point of Tips is to protect from unexpected inflation. The headline inflation rate of 8% is historical and you can't go back and buy protection for the last year whether that protection is nominal or real instruments.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Nver2Late

Post by Nver2Late »

The cash portion of my Fixed Income allocation currently has an average yield of 2.86%. That will bump up slightly next month when my last lower yielding CD (0.75%) from my ladder matures and it transitioned to a Tbill at current rates.
student

Post by student »

I have moved essentially all my cash to various 3-month T-bills purchased at different times (averaging over 3%).
alluringreality

Post by alluringreality »

jebmke wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:51 am The headline inflation rate of 8% is historical and you can't go back and buy protection for the last year whether that protection is nominal or real instruments.
Over the first year, I bonds purchased before the end of October will pay based on the CPI-U change for this month and the previous 11 months, although there is a three month interest penalty that goes away after 5 years. Someone with trusts, or through gifting, could potentially arrange for more than the $10k yearly limit in series I savings bonds. The main appeal of I bonds at this time generally revolves around past inflation, since TIPS currently offer higher rates for investors considering longer timeframes. It's possible that the I bond fixed rate could increase above the current 0% real rate in November, yet the holding period would need to be fairly significant in order to overcome the $1.20 paid on each $25 invested over the first six months with current I bond purchases.
30% Savings Bonds, 45% US Indexes, 25% Ex-US Indexes - Buy & Hold
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

alluringreality wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:57 am
jebmke wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:51 am The headline inflation rate of 8% is historical and you can't go back and buy protection for the last year whether that protection is nominal or real instruments.
Over the first year, I bonds purchased before the end of October will pay based on the CPI-U change for this month and the previous 11 months, although there is a three month interest penalty that goes away after 5 years. Someone with trusts, or through gifting, could potentially arrange for more than the $10k yearly limit in series I savings bonds. The main appeal of I bonds at this time generally revolves around past inflation, since TIPS currently offer higher rates for investors considering longer timeframes. It's possible that the I bond fixed rate could increase above the current 0% real rate in November, yet the holding period would need to be fairly significant in order to overcome the $1.20 paid on each $25 invested over the first six months with current I bond purchases.
True; although I bonds don't have much scale. It would be hard to build a high six or seven figure position quickly.
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

I don’t keep much cash, beyond my emergency fund. I have about $20k in I-Bonds, and a little over $15k at Ally , paying 2%, and I expect it to go up a little soon (⅔ of that $15k is my next month budget and sinking fund so money that will be spent soon enough).
Doc7

Post by Doc7 »

My emergency fund is approx $36K.

$28K in I Bonds doing what I bonds do. Most of mine are just about starting the 9.62% annualized rate as of this month or trickling into it over the next 4 months.

$2K in the local bank at what I guess is probably still 0.10%.

$6,000 in my capital one 360 savings at 2%.

I think that $6K I m going to get a little spicy with it, for a few pennies and to try out a financial instrument I’ve never used before, and put $2K into 26 week treasuries, $2K into 13 week and $2K into 8 week, all on auto roll. More for fun than anything else, really, and I think I can get the Fidelity $100 bonus if I open a second brokerage account under my log in to name / distinguish my “Emergency fund”. (I’ve never used the bonus offer before). I’ll likely put the interest payments / leftover pennies into FHQFX
Fidelity® Series Treasury Bill Index Fund.
vas

Post by vas »

As of this post Vanguard has brokered CDs returning 4% (7 month CD).
“For every complex problem, there is a solution that is clear, simple, and wrong.” - H. L. Mencken
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

pasadena wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:44 pm I don’t keep much cash, beyond my emergency fund. I have about $20k in I-Bonds, and a little over $15k at Ally , paying 2%, and I expect it to go up a little soon (⅔ of that $15k is my next month budget and sinking fund so money that will be spent soon enough).
What do you hold instead? Cash is actually doing well here as the rates rise.
US & FM (5% seed) | 350K Cash
Topic Author
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

student wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:32 am I have moved essentially all my cash to various 3-month T-bills purchased at different times (averaging over 3%).
Smart move
squirrel1963

Post by squirrel1963 »

I keep some cash in Wells Fargo Money Market, I think current yield is about 2.3%, but most of it is in individual treasuries, I have a 3-5 year ladder.
| LMP | safe portfolio: TIPS ladder + I-bonds + Treasuries | risky portfolio: US stocks / US REIT / International stocks |
Riprap

Post by Riprap »

When was the last time you bought anything with a T Bill? I wasn't trading T Bills during the financial crises, so I don't know how easy it was to sell them and get cash.

How do you pay bills without going through a bank? (either cash, credit card, debit card) I've never seen anyone buy groceries and pay for them with T bills, especially when they only exist at your Treasury Direct Account.
edgarbritt

Post by edgarbritt »

Riprap wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:16 pm

When was the last time you bought anything with a T Bill? I wasn't trading T Bills during the financial crises, so I don't know how easy it was to sell them and get cash.

How do you pay bills without going through a bank? (either cash, credit card, debit card) I've never seen anyone buy groceries and pay for them with T bills, especially when they only exist at your Treasury Direct Account.
Purchase T Bills through Fidelity. You can sell them on the open market before maturity this way. Bonus points for having the Fidelity Cash Management Account which you can purchase the t bills within, sell them from, have them mature within and then use for bill pay.
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:04 pm
pasadena wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:44 pm I don’t keep much cash, beyond my emergency fund. I have about $20k in I-Bonds, and a little over $15k at Ally , paying 2%, and I expect it to go up a little soon (⅔ of that $15k is my next month budget and sinking fund so money that will be spent soon enough).
What do you hold instead? Cash is actually doing well here as the rates rise.
Intermediate Bonds in the form of index funds (FXNAX), but those are part of my portfolio (and AA). I don't consider cash part of the portfolio since it's only operational / short term money (next month's budget and sinking fund) and emergency fund. I don't hold cash or cash-like instruments in my portfolio (yet. Maybe I will, when I retire, but that's still like 10 years away).
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

pasadena wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:43 pm Intermediate Bonds in the form of index funds (FXNAX), but those are part of my portfolio (and AA). I don't consider cash part of the portfolio since it's only operational / short term money (next month's budget and sinking fund) and emergency fund. I don't hold cash or cash-like instruments in my portfolio (yet. Maybe I will, when I retire, but that's still like 10 years away).
I see, thanks for your explanation.
US & FM (5% seed) | 350K Cash
johnegonpdx

Post by johnegonpdx »

2.24% in MMF, 3.29% in a CD ladder. About to shift MMF dollars over the next few months into 1Y treasury ladders; expect to improve yield on that cash by 2% or more above whatever the MMF yield is at that time.
ekid

Post by ekid »

Riprap wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:16 pm

I hesitate to derail the thread- but according to other posts and headlines FDIC doesn't pay off quickly enough to avoid starvation either...but I believe nuclear war is the only thing possibly stopping T-bill payout on maturity.
andyhere

Post by andyhere »

2.71% in Bask Bank MMF. I use this account to pay estimated taxes, my mortgage payment, and my 2 Citi credit cards.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I’m making squat on my bank accounts. Got to fix this it’s been sitting there basically eroding. I have been shifting some to VTI and some to various treasuries but I need to do some CDs too. Such a hassle. I’ve been meaning to do some 2 or three year t notes but thought I had to wait until a particular entity is done doing that which it stated an intent to do.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

When rates were basically zero, I went through a period of zero cash other than bank bonuses. Then I added a 3.33% account on ~20k at ETFCU and kept on doing bank bonuses. Now that inflation and the Fed have gone wild, I've thrown some money into short-term TIPS with a real yield around 1.6%, I-bonds, and T-bills. The money needed to pay current credit card bills sits in a MMF at Fidelity.

Rewards checking is not worth the effort at this point. As for bank bonuses, I'm pretty much sticking to checking bonuses at this point. I also do credit card bonuses and brokerage transfer bonuses. It's amazing how much someone can earn from a company's marketing budget.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

CIBC Agility Savings 2.32%

I-bonds: Some at 11.72%. Some at 9.62%
Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB »

Credit union is now paying 1.80% for a basic savings account.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
Trance

Post by Trance »

My credit union returns 2.25% and has always been better than money market funds, but Fidelity's money market fund (SPRXX) just surpassed that at 2.27%. I'm debating moving my emergency fund to SPRXX since there has been no word from my credit union at increasing the APY with the rate hikes.
Munir

Post by Munir »

The Vanguard MM funds are now paying in the 2.4% - over 2.5 %range.
billaster

Post by billaster »

Munir wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:14 am The Vanguard MM funds are now paying in the 2.4% - over 2.5 %range.
Those mutual funds are paying closer to 2.9% now. You are looking at the past 7-day SEC yield so you don't see today's actual yield.

The funds have more than 60% in Federal Reserve repos which roll over every night. Those repos have been paying 3.05% since Wednesday that were paying only 2.3% on Tuesday. Even though you are earning those higher rates since Wednesday, they don't all show up on the past 7-day yield because of stale data. The reported SEC yield has been going up about 0.07% per day for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. They will go up about the same for Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday as stale yield data is updated to current yield. There will also be some actual delay in yield as other assets, short term Treasury bills, also roll up.
Munir

Post by Munir »

billaster wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:21 pm
Munir wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:14 am The Vanguard MM funds are now paying in the 2.4% - over 2.5 %range.
Those mutual funds are paying closer to 2.9% now. You are looking at the past 7-day SEC yield so you don't see today's actual yield.

The funds have more than 60% in Federal Reserve repos which roll over every night. Those repos have been paying 3.05% since Wednesday that were paying only 2.3% on Tuesday. Even though you are earning those higher rates since Wednesday, they don't all show up on the past 7-day yield because of stale data. The reported SEC yield has been going up about 0.07% per day for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. They will go up about the same for Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday as stale yield data is updated to current yield. There will also be some actual delay in yield as other assets, short term Treasury bills, also roll up.
Where can I find "today's actual yield"?
billaster

Post by billaster »

Munir wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:26 pm
billaster wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:21 pm

Where can I find "today's actual yield"?
The best you will find is the SEC 7-day yield. Under normal circumstances that is pretty good. But not when you have a 0.75% Federal Funds Rate increase for a money market fund that has a average maturity of only 17 days.

But it's nothing to worry about. Over the next week or two the SEC yield will catch up to the actual yield. Just keep in mind that the SEC yield will lag for a bit after a large Fed rate increase.