Are you having malfunctions with Vanguard's transaction history?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
spottedtiles

Are you having malfunctions with Vanguard's transaction history?

Post by spottedtiles »

Is anyone having problems when attempting to click on the "date" on Vanguard's transaction history in order to get more detail on a transaction? Do you either get a blank screen or does the transaction you had previously clicked on still show up when clicking on a new transaction? This seems to mainly involve buy and sell transactions compared to other type transactions such as interest or dividends.
retiredjg

Re: Are you having malfunctions with Vanguard's transaction history?

Post by retiredjg »

spottedtiles wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:39 am Is anyone having problems when attempting to click on the "date" on Vanguard's transaction history in order to get more detail on a transaction? Do you either get a blank screen or does the transaction you had previously clicked on still show up when clicking on a new transaction? This seems to mainly involve buy and sell transactions compared to other type transactions such as interest or dividends.
I've had a little trouble with it the last few days. Once I got a blank screen. Another time, it showed the previous transaction a couple of times.

It's not you.
mkc

Post by mkc »

spottedtiles wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:39 am Is anyone having problems when attempting to click on the "date" on Vanguard's transaction history in order to get more detail on a transaction? Do you either get a blank screen or does the transaction you had previously clicked on still show up when clicking on a new transaction?
Haven't tried that, but I do get a blank screen trying to compare funds.
Topic Author
spottedtiles

Post by spottedtiles »

Retiredjg: Thank you for your report. Has anyone else found this problem on the website? Anyone have no malfunctions or problems viewing their transaction history on Vanguard's website? Of note: not sure when this issue started, but this problem has been going on for days at least so it is not a simple 24 hour problem that will resolve itself overnight. Other reports would be useful to gauge how widespread this malfunction is.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

No trouble, but I usually don’t dig deeper than the first page.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

Works for me using buy, sell and exchange. This is on the brokerage platform.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I don't think people are understanding what spottedtiles is asking.

Once you get into transaction history, if you click on the date of the transaction,a popup shows a detailed description of that one transaction.

Sometimes it is coming up blank. Sometimes it is showing the last transaction you looked at, not the one you clicked on.

If I had not had the same exact thing happen this weekend, I probably would not have known what was being asked either.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

retiredjg wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:15 pm I don't think people are understanding what spottedtiles is asking.

Once you get into transaction history, if you click on the date of the transaction,a popup shows a detailed description of that one transaction.

Sometimes it is coming up blank. Sometimes it is showing the last transaction you looked at, not the one you clicked on.

If I had not had the same exact thing happen this weekend, I probably would not have known what was being asked either.
Works fine for me; I initially had some functionality issues when I started using Brave browser a couple of years ago but I turned off their built in script blocking for the VG site and since then, no issues.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

It works for me.

The key is to expand the views using the black arrows.

Hard to explain, but it is all there.

Play with the black arrows, hopefully you will see it.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Topic Author
spottedtiles

Post by spottedtiles »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:01 pm It works for me.

The key is to expand the views using the black arrows.

Hard to explain, but it is all there.

Play with the black arrows, hopefully you will see it.

Broken Man 1999
I don't understand what you are referring to. What black arrows? Perhaps my original post wasn't very clear. In looking up historical transactions on the website, a person might want to click on the date of the transaction to get more detail on that transaction. When clicking on it, especially with buy or sell transactions, the next screen is either blank or it just shows you a previous transaction that you looked at and not the current one you are looking for. Broken Man: you say it is hard to explain, but if you can try then perhaps this will help some of us out.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I looked again tonight. I got a blank screen the first time I clicked on a transaction date. Then I got a real transaction. But when I clicked on a different transaction date, it still just showed me the previous transaction. For example, if I clicked on a "buy" for $7k, it showed me a "sweep" for 86 cents.

Something's out of whack.

I don't think this has anything to do with playing with black arrows. But the black arrows suggestion may have been for a different problem.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

Well, I tried it and got something to display when I clicked on the date; it just wasn't always the details for the correct transaction.

Here are the steps I used:

* Logged on

* Clicked on my regular taxable account.

* Clicked on the VTIAX fund.

* The page has a small table of recent transactions. I clicked on a date associated with a buy transaction.

* A page displayed showing the details of the transaction. Note that it was NOT a popup.

* Clicked the back button which re-displayed the VTIAX fund information.

* Clicked on the "See transaction history for this holding" which is at the bottom of the table of recent transactions.

I was expecting to see the transactions for VTIAX from my taxable account. That is not what I saw.

I saw a page having:

* The recent transactions for all of my accounts (taxable, IRA, spouse IRA)

* A section for each of my accounts. Each section shows the transactions in the last month.

So I scrolled to my taxable account, and asked to see all the transactions for 2022.

I clicked on one of the dates for a buy of VTIAX on 6/27/2022. I saw the details for a completely different transaction from a different fund.

I tried a couple of other buy/sell and sometimes I saw the wrong trx, and other times I got the page with header/footer info but no transaction data.

Added:

I think i see what is happening.

When I clicked on a VTIAX transaction from the initial VTIAX page, and then went to "See transaction history for this holding", if I clicked on another VTIAX transaction, it worked.

If I click on a transaction that is not for VTIAX, I get a VTIAX transaction.

If I log on, go to the VTIAX summary, then click on "See transaction history for this holding", and then pick a VTIAX transaction, no transaction data displays.

It is clear that when you change the date range of the transactions to load, it pulls back the transaction overviews, but doesn't cache the transaction detail.

My assumption is that the design was clicking on "See transaction history for this holding" was to show a page of only VTIAX transactions (perhaps for only the VTIAX transactions for this account). So the desired data was not loaded into a server cache.
Topic Author
spottedtiles

Post by spottedtiles »

prd1982 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:31 pm Well, I tried it and got something to display when I clicked on the date; it just wasn't always the details for the correct transaction.

* Logged on

* Clicked on my regular taxable account.

* Clicked on the VTIAX fund.

* The page has a small table of recent transactions. I clicked on a date associated with a buy transaction.

* A page displayed showing the details of the transaction. Note that it was NOT a popup.

* Clicked the back button which re-displayed the VTIAX fund information.

* Clicked on the "See transaction history for this holding" which is at the bottom of the table of recent transactions.

I was expecting to see the transactions for VTIAX from my taxable account. That is not what I saw.

I saw a page having:

* The recent transactions for all of my accounts (taxable, IRA, spouse IRA)

* A section for each of my accounts. Each section shows the transactions in the last month.

So I scrolled to my taxable account, and asked to see all the transactions for 2022.

I clicked on one of the dates for a buy of VTIAX on 6/27/2022. I saw the details for a completely different transaction from a different fund.

I tried a couple of other buy/sell and sometimes I saw the wrong trx, and other times I got the page with header/footer info but no transaction data.

Added:

I think i see what is happening.

When I clicked on a VTIAX transaction from the initial VTIAX page, and then went to "See transaction history for this holding", if I clicked on another VTIAX transaction, it worked.

If I click on a transaction that is not for VTIAX, I get a VTIAX transaction.

If I log on, go to the VTIAX summary, then click on "See transaction history for this holding", and then pick a VTIAX transaction, no transaction data displays.

It is clear that when you change the date range of the transactions to load, it pulls back the transaction overviews, but doesn't cache the transaction detail.

My assumption is that the design was clicking on "See transaction history for this holding" was to show a page of only VTIAX transactions (perhaps for only the VTIAX transactions for this account). So the desired data was not loaded into a server cache.
Yes! That is the problem. The problem is also encountered when clicking on the "Activity" tab located next to the other tabs such as performance and portfolio watch on the main webpage and then subsequently clicking on a particular date of a specific historical transaction such as a buy or sell. Vanguard has been notified, but they claim that they can see everything normally on their end. Unfortunately, that does nothing to fix it on our end. It is still unclear how widespread this problem is since more bogleheads haven't posted their experience with this issue.
wbillvan

Post by wbillvan »

Yes, I have this issue. I have sent messages to Vanguard, but, their response is that it is on my end. It is not. I have used both Edge and Firefox. I get the same result. On the holdings screen, there is a section that shows transactions. It works there, but, when you want to further back it takes you to the transaction screen. I have compared the code of the screen where it works and where it does not work. Where it fails you get the following:

<div id="HistoryDetailForm:detailTableContainer" class="vgContainer t-unit"></div>
<span cid="comp-HistoryD
<input type="hidden" aria-hidden="true" name="ANTI_CSRF_TOKEN" value="de25d347-b8f0-46d2-a678-45d595e7c1e4

That ANTI_CSRF_TOKEN is the failure point. Its purpose is to prevent Cross-Site Request Forgery. Somehow, there is an error in the code that causes that token to prevent the display of the requested data.

I do not want to get into an argument with the people that respond to the messages because they are not trained in html and java issues. Hopefully, Vanguard will fix this issue.

Bill
cas

Post by cas »

prd1982 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:31 pm Here are the steps I used:
Yes, I also reproduce the problem using prd1982's steps, when the new big-red-border-at-top version of the website is being used.

I have one family member who gets the new big-red-border version of the web pages for their login. The problem can be reproduced there. In other words, the new version of the transaction history function has the bug.

I have another family member who still gets the older version (no border at top or thin-red-border at top, depending on page) of the web pages for their login. The problem is NOT reproduced there for the exact same transaction and series of steps. In other words, the older version of the transaction history function works fine.

Most recent version Chrome/Windows 10.
wbillvan

Post by wbillvan »

Update:

Further testing reveals this issue appears to affect only purchases. It does not affect the dividend or dividend reinvesting screens. I have gone back to last year and successfully viewed those screens. I did purchase yesterday and the purchase screen does not show.
NewbieBogle007

Post by NewbieBogle007 »

Which browser?
I once had trouble tax loss harvesting with Firefox.
Worked in Edge.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I had the problem mentioned in the original post using Safari. Have not tried it again.
wbillvan

Post by wbillvan »

I am using the latest version of Edge on Windows 10 fully updated. I have also tested it using latest version of Firefox and found the same problem.
beyou

Post by beyou »

:!:
wbillvan wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:21 pm Update:

Further testing reveals this issue appears to affect only purchases. It does not affect the dividend or dividend reinvesting screens. I have gone back to last year and successfully viewed those screens. I did purchase yesterday and the purchase screen does not show.
I could not see sales.
beyou

Post by beyou »

mkc wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:20 am
spottedtiles wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:39 am Is anyone having problems when attempting to click on the "date" on Vanguard's transaction history in order to get more detail on a transaction? Do you either get a blank screen or does the transaction you had previously clicked on still show up when clicking on a new transaction?
Haven't tried that, but I do get a blank screen trying to compare funds.
I reported this compare problem, and after a few days, they wanted a screen print to see error…..Of a blank page.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

spottedtiles wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:39 am Is anyone having problems when attempting to click on the "date" on Vanguard's transaction history in order to get more detail on a transaction? Do you either get a blank screen or does the transaction you had previously clicked on still show up when clicking on a new transaction? This seems to mainly involve buy and sell transactions compared to other type transactions such as interest or dividends.
Going back to this original question. I continue to have problems, both with the blank pages and with the wrong transaction showing up. I am using Safari.

Example. I sold Total International (let's call it $1,000) and Total Bond (let's call this $5,000) in my IRA to take my RMD.

The $1,000 was split into two things...$300 for tax withholding and $700 to go to my credit union.

The $5,000 was split into two things...$900 for tax withholding and $4,100 went to my taxable brokerage account.

When I click on the transaction for Total International - it is blank (the first time) or it shows me the wrong transaction (last transaction I looked at).

When I click on the transaction for Total Bond - it is also blank or shows me the wrong transaction.

Bottom line is this - there is nothing I can find that shows me what happened to the $1,000 from Total International unless I am able to piece together two other transactions on that day that add up to $1,000.

Same for the $5,000 from total bond - there is no way to show where that money went without piecing together two other transactions that add up to $5,000.

This is nuts. Is this how a brokerage account is supposed to work? That is not a sarcastic question - I've never used one before.
cas

Post by cas »

retiredjg wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:13 pm ...there is no way to show where that money went without piecing together two other transactions that add up to $5,000.

This is nuts. Is this how a brokerage account is supposed to work? That is not a sarcastic question - I've never used one before.
No, this seems to be a very annoying bug. (FWIW, it isn't the new platform brokerage acct that is the problem. It is the buggy new Transaction History tool that has been distributed to some people and not others. For accounts that have the new Transaction History tool, it happens when looking at transactions from old-platform mutual fund accounts too.) There probably just hasn't been much screaming about it yet either because not many people have been switched over to the new tool yet or because most people never look at the detailed transaction history pages.

Anyway ... as a work around ...

Click on My Accounts at the top of the landing page
Click on Transaction History
Then, instead of using the Transaction History, there is a series of tabs: Order Status / Pending activity / Transaction history / Confirmations / Statements / Historical documents
Click on Confirmations and use that to select a pdf of the transaction information from the list.

Does that work?

I'm offering advice a bit blind because my account login's user interface hasn't been converted over to the style that uses the new Transaction History tool. (A family member's has.) But I think that list of tabs that includes "Confirmations" is still listed at the top with either style. But I'm not sure.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Yes, it works, but does not show the information I'm looking for.

It tells me I sold $1k of Total International and $5k of Total Bond (which I already knew from looking at the transactions listed for the IRA).

There is no information about where the money went.

In order to reconstruct where the money went, I have to find 2 transactions in the account that add up to (respectively) $1k and $5k, click on them....and then I can see where the money went.

Thanks for trying to help though... :happy
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

prd1982 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:31 pm Well, I tried it and got something to display when I clicked on the date; it just wasn't always the details for the correct transaction.

Yes there are definitely some mislabeled/broken links.

Firefox on Widows 10. Following prd1982's steps, I observed these two abnormalities:

1. "See transaction history of this holding" takes me to a list of all transactions of all my 10 accounts, not just this holding of this account.
2. From the the smorgasbord of transactions, I click on any transaction, it takes me right back to the original fund screen instead of the transaction detail.

It looks their test team failed to do a thorough job.

In my previous life, these test plans were documented in details. With each new release/update, the test team must go down every path/link to make sure they are still working as designed and nothings broken. And, our system was no where near as important and far-reaching as Vanguard's.

The design (UI, look&feel, user friendliness, functionality) issues are subjective, but at least, all links should work properly.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Faith20879 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:43 pm 1. "See transaction history of this holding" takes me to a list of all transactions of all my 10 accounts, not just this holding of this account.
I had this one happen to me today as well. Makes no sense.

I did send a message to VG today - reporting the blank page and showing the wrong transaction glitches. We'll see what they say. :?
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Well, here's a new one to add to the list.

I did a Roth conversion yesterday. On my Roth IRA activity list, it shows an incoming conversion of 50 shares and $4,000 dollars (made up numbers). All of that is correct.

"Incoming conversion" is a link - so I clicked on it. That brings up a pop up box that says the incoming conversion is $50.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I sent them a message....
socaldude

Post by socaldude »

Yes... still happening trying to compare funds etc.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

rolliek has a question which I've moved into the relevant thread: Re: New fee for Vanguard mutual accounts
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.