[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dknightd

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by dknightd »

Watching for all mankind on Apple TV. Good stuff
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

AGT - world got talent!! Amazing season! A lot of awesome talents!
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
maxim81

Post by maxim81 »

lostdog wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:46 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:22 pm I forgot to mention that I'm watching The Sandman on Netflix in Ultra-high def (4K) TV. You need the premium plan ($19.99 / month), but I'd say it's worth it. The scenery and special effects are stunning. My 65" LG OLED TV happily kicks in Dolby Atmos for this show.
Rings of Power would look stunning with this setup.
if one has Atmos speakers, it's great. A 5.1.2 setup.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

maxim81 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:27 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:22 pm I forgot to mention that I'm watching The Sandman on Netflix in Ultra-high def (4K) TV. You need the premium plan ($19.99 / month), but I'd say it's worth it. The scenery and special effects are stunning. My 65" LG OLED TV happily kicks in Dolby Atmos for this show.
Although those aren’t my typical kinds of shows, I’m always fond of things that show well with my HT (a 5.2.4 setup) and will give them at least a watch.

Perhaps we could suggest that, when known, shows get a mention if the visual and auditory experience was noteworthy.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:52 am
Although those aren’t my typical kinds of shows, I’m always fond of things that show well with my HT (a 5.2.4 setup) and will give them at least a watch.

Perhaps we could suggest that, when known, shows get a mention if the visual and auditory experience was noteworthy.
Well I guess I won't mention that I'm watching "Mad Men" at something like 480p on archive.org.

Ooops, I mentioned it. :oops: :D :D

But seriously, it's okay on the equipment I'm watching it on.

I saw this series recommended early in the thread and jumped at the chance to watch it. I'm early in -- episode 3 -- so can't comment too much. But I loved the clever/cynical way that Don Draper figured out a way to market Lucky Strike cigarettes in an appealing way despite all the bad publicity about health risks.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

roamingzebra wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:29 pm

Well I guess I won't mention that I'm watching "Mad Men" at something like 480p on archive.org.

I saw this series recommended early in the thread and jumped at the chance to watch it. I'm early in -- episode 3 -- so can't comment too much. But I loved the clever/cynical way that Don Draper figured out a way to market Lucky Strike cigarettes in an appealing way despite all the bad publicity about health risks.
Roamingzebra, I enjoy and mostly agree with your reviews, so (projection alert, and not that kind of projection) I assumed that you also enjoyed good equipment. Perhaps your TV has a good upscaler :D
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Then I'll mention that I often watch really old stuff that is of low technical quality but eminently enjoyable none the less. A few examples (but there are more):

Peter Gunn (The Henry Mancini music is enough)
Perry Mason (Della Street, Paul Drake, Lt. Tragg, Hamilton Burger. I want them all to be my friends.)
Maverick (Bret and Bart: James Garner and Jack Kelly. I used to be disappointed when an episode focused on Bart, but recent re-watchings have made me a fan.)
Danger Man (Patrick McGoohan and Robert Shaw, AKA Quint from Jaws,)
The Saint (Roger Moore, in color!)

(Q.E.D.)
Last edited by bertilak on Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:41 pm
roamingzebra wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:29 pm Well I guess I won't mention that I'm watching "Mad Men" at something like 480p on archive.org.

Roamingzebra, I enjoy and mostly agree with your reviews, so (projection alert, and not that kind of projection) I assumed that you also enjoyed good equipment. Perhaps your TV has a good upscaler :D
Both TV and computer are good enough to appreciate good cinematography. But I do miss some details since most offerings seem to assume a humongous display. The biggest pitfall is when a phone screen is shown with text messages, which I can't read from where I'm sitting. So I'll either leap up and race to the screen (usually too late!) or I'll just let it go.

I can afford to go top line home-theater-wise, but I enjoy coaxing the max out of pre-existing equipment. I know, I'm weird. :)
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

roamingzebra wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:04 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:41 pm
roamingzebra wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:29 pm Well I guess I won't mention that I'm watching "Mad Men" at something like 480p on archive.org.

Both TV and computer are good enough to appreciate good cinematography. But I do miss some details since most offerings seem to assume a humongous display. The biggest pitfall is when a phone screen is shown with text messages, which I can't read from where I'm sitting. So I'll either leap up and race to the screen (usually too late!) or I'll just let it go.

I can afford to go top line home-theater-wise, but I enjoy coaxing the max out of pre-existing equipment. I know, I'm weird. :)
Some for me, I am good with my current arrangement.

If you enjoy the current setup, no reason to bother with a change.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I’ll be watching the state funeral live early tomorrow, starting 5:30 AM ET. Since I’m retired now I’ll watch the whole thing :beer

The U.S. and the Holocaust — A film by Ken Burns, Lynn Novick & Sarah Botstein,
on PBS. It premieres tonight.
Never send to know for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee. — John Donne
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Philadelphia Eagles 🦅 football 🏈

Best
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:23 pm I’ll be watching the state funeral live early tomorrow, starting 5:30 AM ET. Since I’m retired now I’ll watch the whole thing :beer

I watched the funeral earlier today. What a ceremony. Total class.

Best.
Tony
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

abuss368 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:46 pm
Nicolas wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:23 pm I’ll be watching the state funeral live early tomorrow, starting 5:30 AM ET. Since I’m retired now I’ll watch the whole thing :beer

I watched the funeral earlier today. What a ceremony. Total class.

Best.
Tony
Here it is from the BBC. Nine hours and nine minutes! It doesn’t get any better.
https://youtu.be/j8xwqi_9GDs <— Edit: bad link. This was the live feed, now “private”. See next post.

I love the pageantry. Before the internet and VCRs I used to set my alarm clock to get up early to watch these events. For example I watched Princess Anne’s wedding to Mark Phillips in 1973 live. Of course who knew that marriage was doomed.
And I watched Leonid Brezhnev’s funeral in 1982. The Soviets could put on a good show too.
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

That link says "Private Video" and can't be watched.

Here it is: The State Funeral of HM Queen Elizabeth II - BBC

I watched the funeral on YouTube from Sky TV, a UK broadcast service.

Be sure to configure the YouTube settings (gear icon) Quality --> 1080p HD for an absolutely stunning picture.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:07 am That link says "Private Video" and can't be watched.

Here it is: The State Funeral of HM Queen Elizabeth II - BBC

I watched the funeral on YouTube from Sky TV, a UK broadcast service.

Be sure to configure the YouTube settings (gear icon) Quality --> 1080p HD for an absolutely stunning picture.
Black and white clips of her 1953 coronation have been showing all week.

The contrast in audio-video quality between then and now is stunning (though not surprising as we all know of the advances in AV technology).

But as stark as the video contrast is, the audio is, well.... Back then, the music sounded straight out of a Laurel and Hardy flick or WWII newsreel and sounded fake. It was hard to get into the gravitas of the moment. Today, the audio is high fidelity and you get the full effect.
matti

Post by matti »

I've been rewatching old episodes of Ghost Hunters International.
Bandu79

Post by Bandu79 »

Station Eleven on HBO is brilliant
Blues

Post by Blues »

"Kleo" on Netflix. A German version of "Killing Eve" meets "The Americans". Entertaining, humorous, with a good plot.

(We have three episodes of the first season remaining.)
Retired 01/2004 @ 51 | "So I got that going for me...which is nice." - Carl Spackler
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Bandu79 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:53 pm Station Eleven on HBO is brilliant
Agree. Watch it while we got it. With the new management, you won't see this kind of show on HBO Max anymore. Instead, it will be GOT and GOT spinoffs, all day, all the time.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Blues wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:43 am "Kleo" on Netflix. A German version of "Killing Eve" meets "The Americans". Entertaining, humorous, with a good plot.

Yes, I liked it too. A good job getting the East German vibe.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Capsu78 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:24 am
Blues wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:43 am "Kleo" on Netflix. A German version of "Killing Eve" meets "The Americans". Entertaining, humorous, with a good plot.

Yes, I liked it too. A good job getting the East German vibe.
When I had only watched a few episodes, I said
There are plot gaps big enough to drive a truck through, but we are continuing to watch. It is eccentric and engaging.
The plot gaps continued, but it didn't matter: it's a fun show. My boyhood German helped, but my wife (who doesn't understand German) enjoyed it as much as I did.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Almost done with a binge of Castle on HULU. One more season to go. Finished season 7 last night. And I started SGU on Amazon Prime. I never got past the first season on original watch. Reminded me way too much of the reboot of BSG. I'm giving it another chance now. I also tried to watch the last season of Angel. I watched the first four on original watch. I tried season 5 again, and it's as bad as I remember.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I watched the 21st season of the rebooted Law and Order earlier this year. Jack was still there but with limited involvement; he's now the DA. There's a new prosecutor, Nolan Price, a new ADA (always a woman) Samantha Maroun, a new detective and new others. It was OK then. Maybe I needed more time to get to know the new characters.

Now the 22nd season just started. The Dick Wolfe produced stories are what I like to watch. Cosgrove, the new detective, is different than all the squeaky clean guys before him, and Bernard is back in a big way. It's on my must record list.

Then there are other new shows that despite glowing reviews in the NYT just don't click with me.

We tried s1e1 of Reboot on Hulu. Created by Stephan Levitan (Modern Family and other hits), it's about a reboot of an early 2000s family comedy into today. Not for me.

We tried s1e1 of Abbott Elementary on HBOMax. Just started its second season set in a Philadelphia school. Maybe it got better, but s1e1, not for me.

No glowing reviews unless you think it crashed and burned, watched s1e1 of the rebooted Quantum Leap series. Also not for me.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Watching “Bosch” Season 4 on Amazon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosch_(TV_series)

Enjoy it!
Tony
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Just finished "Dopesick" on Hulu. Can't say I enjoyed it because it is a very sad topic, but it was pretty well done overall.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Mad Man may be my favorite show. I could watch it over and over. I used to say the Wire, which is still great.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Tubes wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:54 am
Agree. Watch it while we got it. With the new management, you won't see this kind of show on HBO Max anymore. Instead, it will be GOT and GOT spinoffs, all day, all the time.
It is a really good show. The first episode I thought it seemed like it would be some artsy frou frou thing but when it started going back in time it became really interesting.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

twh wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:48 pm Just watched "Under the Banner of Heaven" on Hulu. Hard to not binge watch the limited series. Very well done and bat-xxxx-crazy.
This was very good. Just finished it. Wife liked it too.
mancich

Post by mancich »

Late to the party with this one, but just started watching The Crown on Netflix and think it is excellent..
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

JBTX wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:12 am
It is a really good show. The first episode I thought it seemed like it would be some artsy frou frou thing but when it started going back in time it became really interesting.
I almost quit on episode 2 which I felt was artsy frou frou. Glad I persisted. It is a unique story and presentation compared to the more typical dystopian stuff out there.

I'm 60 and rapidly feeling like I'm sunk because much of the product being produced is targeting the 15 to 25 age group.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

mancich wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:54 am Late to the party with this one, but just started watching The Crown on Netflix and think it is excellent..
It’s a great series. But it’s not strictly historically accurate. Some details are fictionalized for dramatic effect.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Rings of Power episode 5.

It's getting really good.
Brokerage: VTI+IXUS | IRA: VT
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

lostdog wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:34 am Rings of Power episode 5.

Good to hear! That is on my "to do" list this weekend.
“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” —Will Rogers
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Tubes wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:21 am
JBTX wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:12 am
I almost quit on episode 2 which I felt was artsy frou frou. Glad I persisted. It is a unique story and presentation compared to the more typical dystopian stuff out there.

I'm 60 and rapidly feeling like I'm sunk because much of the product being produced is targeting the 15 to 25 age group.
Yeah that was me. There is a lot of stuff on HBO that is targeted to a younger audience than me - I’m about your age. But when they started doing flashbacks and then it took a much darker turn it became much more interesting. I like shows that use non linear time sequencing when they do it well.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

jjunk wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:15 am ...Finally, I am a third through Extraordinary Attorney Woo. I never would have thought I'd be watching a Korean drama but it was recommended to me by friends in the autistic community (I'm autistic). I have to say, it's one of the best depictions of autism I've seen on a show or movie and I'm very happy to see the topic approached the way it is. I never really felt the need to have "representation" but seeing someone like myself on TV has been very enthralling for me. I've seen other depictions but I really feel like this one nails it. The show is definitely sappy and full of K-drama but it's grown on me. If you want to learn more about living with autism as an adult without getting the clinical definition, I would recommend it.
Extraordinary Attorney Woo on Netflix. I just watched the first episode and thought it was very entertaining. The show is getting high reviews on its own. Thanks for mentioning that this is a realistic perspective on autism.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:35 am
lostdog wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:34 am Rings of Power episode 5.

Good to hear! That is on my "to do" list this weekend.
The foundation was set in episodes 1-4. Episode 5 and things are in motion.
Brokerage: VTI+IXUS | IRA: VT
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:03 am
jjunk wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:15 am ...Finally, I am a third through Extraordinary Attorney Woo. I never would have thought I'd be watching a Korean drama but it was recommended to me by friends in the autistic community (I'm autistic). I have to say, it's one of the best depictions of autism I've seen on a show or movie and I'm very happy to see the topic approached the way it is. I never really felt the need to have "representation" but seeing someone like myself on TV has been very enthralling for me. I've seen other depictions but I really feel like this one nails it. The show is definitely sappy and full of K-drama but it's grown on me. If you want to learn more about living with autism as an adult without getting the clinical definition, I would recommend it.
Extraordinary Attorney Woo on Netflix. I just watched the first episode and thought it was very entertaining. The show is getting high reviews on its own. Thanks for mentioning that this is a realistic perspective on autism.
The best representation of my specific brand of ASD was the film "The Accountant" starring Ben Affleck. I agree that in general, ASD is terribly depicted in entertainment (ie. "Big Bang Theory" and "The Good Doctor" are IMO unwatchable), but it's not something I really care about.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

JBTX wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:08 am Mad Man may be my favorite show. I could watch it over and over. I used to say the Wire, which is still great.
I'm really enjoying it. Am now in Season 2.

I'd call it an engaging 1960's corporate time capsule which superficially is focused on what goes into an advertising campaign. Plus the rivalries and pecking orders of the account executives and among the secretarial pool. The 1960's mores concerning women are pretty eye-opening. A little more about people's personal lives than I would have expected. And while the show is overall light, the main character appears to have secrets in his past. These give the show depth and propel the story forward suspense-wise.

Oh, and gotta love the opening scene with the guy spiraling down off the skyscraper. Lots of good visual appeal.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Da5id wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:13 pm
lostdog wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:20 pm Rings of Power is getting reviewed bombed for two reasons.

1. Pure Tolkien fans are upset it doesn't follow the LOTR appendices exactly. Amazon does not have the right to the Silmarillion, just the LOTR appendices. They're a tough crowd to please.

2. I cannot say exactly on this forum. There is an agenda from a certain group. You can figure it out from the national articles recently released. They were planning to review bomb before it was released.

Just my two cents. For those people calling the acting "wooden", just know the elves are supposed to be like this. Very elegant, clean and Vulcan like. You can see this from Legolas in LOTR. The Harfoots and Dwarves are not "wooden".

Anyway, I love this show so far. Episode 2 is better than episode 1. Looking forward to episode 3.
I don't love it. Loved LOTR movies and books. Loved Hobbit book but not the movies. For The Rings of Power it felt like the first two episodes just weren't great, and in particular the first didn't have much going on. The actor playing Elrond didn't do it for me, and there weren't many likeable characters. I thought the third episode improved both the story and gave us some more likeable characters in Numenor. I'll keep watching, but at least so far despite being generally fonder of the LOTR I think House of Dragons feels better.
Same here. I'm watching it mostly because I loved the Tolkien books and the Peter Jackson movies (except the 2nd and 3rd Hobbit films... oh boy). The Rings of Power isn't nearly as good as the original movie trilogy, mostly because it changes many things about the Middle Earth universe in ways that seem arbitrary and contrived. I'm all for creative storytelling, but once a fictional fantasy world has been established (as in the Tolkien books and the original LOTR movies), further "in-world" adaptations (especially a prequel, like TROP) should not fundamentally rewrite the rules in ways that break the logical continuity and cohesiveness of the story universe.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

roamingzebra wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:35 pm
JBTX wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:08 am Mad Man may be my favorite show. I could watch it over and over. I used to say the Wire, which is still great.
I'm really enjoying it. Am now in Season 2.

I'd call it an engaging 1960's corporate time capsule which superficially is focused on what goes into an advertising campaign. Plus the rivalries and pecking orders of the account executives and among the secretarial pool. The 1960's mores concerning women are pretty eye-opening. A little more about people's personal lives than I would have expected. And while the show is overall light, the main character appears to have secrets in his past. These give the show depth and propel the story forward suspense-wise.

Oh, and gotta love the opening scene with the guy spiraling down off the skyscraper. Lots of good visual appeal.
Yes there are little moments here and there that you see behaviors that are shockingly inappropriate but pretty much par for the course 50+ years ago. Also the corporate antics. As the show progresses forward it gets more into Don Draper character development.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Watching a great episode of American Greed.

Always enjoy this show!

Tony
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:05 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:03 am
The best representation of my specific brand of ASD was the film "The Accountant" starring Ben Affleck. I agree that in general, ASD is terribly depicted in entertainment (ie. "Big Bang Theory" and "The Good Doctor" are IMO unwatchable), but it's not something I really care about.
I agree on The Accountant as well, its one of the few movies that also does a good job. I also never really cared about how ASD was done for the most part but Woo made me see things a little differently. I can't quite put my finger on why that is, just that it did.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ The Accountant is discussed in the movie thread: What Movie Have You Recently Watched? Feel free to continue the discussion in that thread.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Nyarlathotep wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:43 pm
Da5id wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:13 pm
lostdog wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:20 pm Rings of Power is getting reviewed bombed for two reasons.

1. Pure Tolkien fans are upset it doesn't follow the LOTR appendices exactly. Amazon does not have the right to the Silmarillion, just the LOTR appendices. They're a tough crowd to please.

2. I cannot say exactly on this forum. There is an agenda from a certain group. You can figure it out from the national articles recently released. They were planning to review bomb before it was released.

Just my two cents. For those people calling the acting "wooden", just know the elves are supposed to be like this. Very elegant, clean and Vulcan like. You can see this from Legolas in LOTR. The Harfoots and Dwarves are not "wooden".

Anyway, I love this show so far. Episode 2 is better than episode 1. Looking forward to episode 3.
I don't love it. Loved LOTR movies and books. Loved Hobbit book but not the movies. For The Rings of Power it felt like the first two episodes just weren't great, and in particular the first didn't have much going on. The actor playing Elrond didn't do it for me, and there weren't many likeable characters. I thought the third episode improved both the story and gave us some more likeable characters in Numenor. I'll keep watching, but at least so far despite being generally fonder of the LOTR I think House of Dragons feels better.
Same here. I'm watching it mostly because I loved the Tolkien books and the Peter Jackson movies (except the 2nd and 3rd Hobbit films... oh boy). The Rings of Power isn't nearly as good as the original movie trilogy, mostly because it changes many things about the Middle Earth universe in ways that seem arbitrary and contrived. I'm all for creative storytelling, but once a fictional fantasy world has been established (as in the Tolkien books and the original LOTR movies), further "in-world" adaptations (especially a prequel, like TROP) should not fundamentally rewrite the rules in ways that break the logical continuity and cohesiveness of the story universe.
While I don't like why things were changed about Tolkien's world, in general I'm not some purist who is really bothered by such things unless it alters the entertainment value (which I don't think it does in this case). But, the series is just IMO very mediocre. Galadriel is not likable, and I think it has more to do with the specific actress than anything. I do think it is getting better, but I probably would have stopped watching already if I wasn't a LOTR fans.
coryjoma

Post by coryjoma »

The Old Man in FX is really good. Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow star.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:45 amWhile I don't like why things were changed about Tolkien's world, in general I'm not some purist who is really bothered by such things unless it alters the entertainment value (which I don't think it does in this case). But, the series is just IMO very mediocre. Galadriel is not likable, and I think it has more to do with the specific actress than anything.
I hate what they've done with Galadriel (nothing against the actress, who seems quite good to me). In the books, she is supposed to be an ethereal, wise, almost mystical being, not some scowling, brooding, abrasive upstart ready for combat at a moment's notice. I'm hoping she will get better over time, but I'm not holding my breath. Lots of other details are irritating and bewildering to me, as well.
stoptothink wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:45 amI do think it is getting better, but I probably would have stopped watching already if I wasn't a LOTR fans.
+1
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Nyarlathotep wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:48 pm I hate what they've done with Galadriel (nothing against the actress, who seems quite good to me). In the books, she is supposed to be an ethereal, wise, almost mystical being, not some scowling, brooding, abrasive upstart ready for combat at a moment's notice. I'm hoping she will get better over time, but I'm not holding my breath.
The way I look at that is that she is much younger here than in the original trilogy, not matured into her final personage yet. Elrond is also more rambunctious.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

tooluser wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:10 pm
Nyarlathotep wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:48 pm I hate what they've done with Galadriel (nothing against the actress, who seems quite good to me). In the books, she is supposed to be an ethereal, wise, almost mystical being, not some scowling, brooding, abrasive upstart ready for combat at a moment's notice. I'm hoping she will get better over time, but I'm not holding my breath.
The way I look at that is that she is much younger here than in the original trilogy, not matured into her final personage yet. Elrond is also more rambunctious.
Not to mention that she was quite the strong-willed person when young, given she was one of the leaders of the Noldorin rebellion. I just finished Ep 5 and enjoyed it.