Buying Secondary Treasury at Vanguard

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Mitchell777

Buying Secondary Treasury at Vanguard

Post by Mitchell777 »

Not sure if anyone brought this up. I purchased a Treasury on the secondary market this morning. When I got to the submit screen. I noticed it said Funds Available to Trade $100K. Adjusted Funds Available to Trade: $32K. I have no open orders so I did not understand this. I called Vanguard. The rep told me she ran into this last week and reported it but it is still showing like this at least for some people. She assured me I could make the purchase which was going to be ~ $98.2K, so below the $100K available. She also said if i were over the $100K they would cover it with my other funds but that will not be necessary.
Just an FYI ...
MrRE

Re: Buying Secondary Treasury at Vanguard

Post by MrRE »

Mitchell777 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:37 am Not sure if anyone brought this up. I purchased a Treasury on the secondary market this morning. When I got to the submit screen. I noticed it said Funds Available to Trade $100K. Adjusted Funds Available to Trade: $32K. I have no open orders so I did not understand this. I called Vanguard. The rep told me she ran into this last week and reported it but it is still showing like this at least for some people. She assured me I could make the purchase which was going to be ~ $98.2K, so below the $100K available. She also said if i were over the $100K they would cover it with my other funds but that will not be necessary.
Just an FYI ...
I also see an "Adjusted Funds Available to Trade" number that is lower than my "Funds Available to Trade".

In my case, Vanguard said it's because: 1) I'm buying a non-Vanguard fund, and 2) my recent rollover check has to wait 7 days. So right now, it's not available for buying anything non-Vanguard, hence the "adjustment". Vanguard said the adjustment doesn't apply if I want to buy a Vanguard fund. Just an FYI in case anyone has this situation.

This link also was helpful.
https://support.vanguard.com/triage/mmv ... ch+results