New Credit Card no longer have signature on the back

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gavinsiu

New Credit Card no longer have signature on the back

Post by gavinsiu »

I got a replacement credit card today and notice that it no longer has a place in the back where they add a signature. Is there a reason why this has gone away? Is it due to wide adoption of chip?
bob60014

Re: New Credit Card no longer have signature on the back

Post by bob60014 »

Yes, due to the chip. Even before, I never had anyone ask or look at it.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

bob60014 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:21 am Yes, due to the chip. Even before, I never had anyone ask or look at it.
I had a few cashier check in the past, but not recently.

In Canada, I have notice that that they ask for a PIN. I wish they do that in the US, it would cut down on the theft.
burgrat

Post by burgrat »

In the past 10 years, I have never had a cashier check for the signature on the back of the card. It's pointless at time I guess.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

burgrat wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:40 am In the past 10 years, I have never had a cashier check for the signature on the back of the card. It's pointless at time I guess.
Cashiers no longer handle the card. The customer inserts it into the card reader.
BobTexas

Post by BobTexas »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:42 am
burgrat wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:40 am In the past 10 years, I have never had a cashier check for the signature on the back of the card. It's pointless at time I guess.
Cashiers no longer handle the card. The customer inserts it into the card reader.
In the US it is still common to hand the card to a cashier or waiter. However, I cannot remember the last time anyone ever looked at the signature on the card
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Many places don't even have cashiers. Even our local/regional gas-mart has replaced all but one "cashier" with self checkout. There is one who will take the people who still use currency but that line is usually a very long wait at busy times.

Local Walmart is the same. One cashier.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

gavinsiu wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:38 am
bob60014 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:21 am Yes, due to the chip. Even before, I never had anyone ask or look at it.

In Canada, I have notice that that they ask for a PIN. I wish they do that in the US, it would cut down on the theft.
I use Apple Pay when it is available. I think that is even more secure than chip and PIN but I'm sure there are others who have more technical knowledge to confirm that. It is a bit quicker than jamming the card in and having the chip read.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

BobTexas wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:44 am
In the US it is still common to hand the card to a cashier or waiter. However, I cannot remember the last time anyone ever looked at the signature on the card
Maybe it is common in Texas, but not here in the northeast. Even in grocery stores and drug stores, the card reader stands apart from the cash register and faces the customer, not the cashier. Restaurants are a different story.
student

Post by student »

This has happened for a while now as signatures are no longer necessary.

https://www.mybanktracker.com/credit-ca ... ses-275769
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

I think most “signatures” at cash registers etc resemble a line with a few squiggles these days, so trying to “match” the signature to one on the card is a futile form of identity security. I imagine a PIN number would be better
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

I haven't signed the back of my credit cards in like forever.
dbr

Post by dbr »

There is a difference between PIN priority for validation and other validations. It is extremely difficult to find a PIN priority card from a US bank or credit union. Such methods are standard in some other countries.

Some information is here: https://docs.adyen.com/point-of-sale/ca ... on-methods

See also CVM List: https://www.openscdp.org/scripts/tutori ... ation.html
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

BobTexas wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:44 am
I haven't been to many restaurants since the pandemic (one, one time) and didn't know if that was still typical. It's surprising that the hand-the-card-over practice hasn't gone away.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

dbr wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:10 am

There is a difference between PIN priority for validation and other validations. It is extremely difficult to find a PIN priority card from a US bank or credit union. Such methods are standard in some other countries.

Some information is here: https://docs.adyen.com/point-of-sale/ca ... on-methods

See also CVM List: https://www.openscdp.org/scripts/tutori ... ation.html

Bummer I was hoping to use the pin on next trip to canada
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Only one restaurant I frequent never requires a signature on American Express cards. Every other place still requires it. I kind of think that in 200 years, those around will still be waiting for every place to use the chip and no signatures rather than swipe the card :) Or maybe everyone will be using ApplePay.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
vtMaps

Post by vtMaps »

muffins14 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:58 am I think most “signatures” at cash registers etc resemble a line with a few squiggles these days
I find it somewhat unsettling that the terminal says "Signature Approved" when I make my squiggle. --vtMaps
"Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" --Voltaire, as translated by Norman Lewis Torrey
dbr

Post by dbr »

vtMaps wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:25 pm
muffins14 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:58 am I think most “signatures” at cash registers etc resemble a line with a few squiggles these days
I find it somewhat unsettling that the terminal says "Signature Approved" when I make my squiggle. --vtMaps
I know a person who carefully developed a squiggle that they allege is in fact their legal signature. I will grant they are skilled at reproducing exactly that squiggle on demand. Then again it could be "X, his mark."
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

DH's signature has never looked like anything using any type of alphabet at all. I can sort of recognize it from two usual (but not always) big "swirls" embedded within, and that's it.

"Checking signatures" wasn't particularly useful even several decades ago.

Starting in late 60's/early 70's, I started printing in large caps in that place where one is supposed to sign,

"CHECK PHOTO ID" (and this was in a thick black ink).

Cashiers/clerks/etc., would frequently turn the card over and appear to look at the signature.
For many years, those "cashier" types always performed very well indeed when they turned the card over to "inspect and match" the signature to what I had just signed on the receipt.

It was approximately 20 or 30 years ago when ONE cashier finally (!) looked at that supposed sample signature when "comparing" my scribblings on the receipt with the back of the card and seemed surprised. She then looked at me and asked to see a photo ID.
Once. Ever.

Where was it that such careful security was finally followed? Nope, not a nice jewelry purchase or some other shopping spree...
It was as I was leaving an underground parking garage in Downtown Metro, and the charge was less than $10.

Of course, as others have pointed out, in recent years, it's pretty rare for a "cashier type" to ever touch the card at all.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Fclevz

Post by Fclevz »

gavinsiu wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:16 am I got a replacement credit card today and notice that it no longer has a place in the back where they add a signature. Is there a reason why this has gone away? Is it due to wide adoption of chip?
Not only no signature block, but I've got two cards which don't even have numbers on them, just my name. The numbers, if you need them, can be found in the corresponding app.
Last edited by Fclevz on Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

gavinsiu wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:16 am I got a replacement credit card today and notice that it no longer has a place in the back where they add a signature. Is there a reason why this has gone away? Is it due to wide adoption of chip?
Does your signature on a touch screen payment processing device match the signature on the back of the card closely enough that someone actually could use the signature on the back to distinguish you from a fraudster?
Last edited by Northern Flicker on Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
safari

Post by safari »

I haven't signed the back of the card for at least 10 years and nobody cared.
Haysnooze

Post by Haysnooze »

It was only a matter of time. Kids/young adults now a days don't even know how to sign their name. Only learned print.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

safari wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:38 pm I haven't signed the back of the card for at least 10 years and nobody cared.
Same, maybe longer.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

Fclevz wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:37 pm I've got two cards which don't even have numbers on them, just my name. The numbers, if you need them, can be found in the corresponding app.
I've got one such card, the Apple Card. What others are there?
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

In the US, maybe 1 out of 20 people bother to look at the signature.

If you use your card elsewhere, particularly in Europe, it's probably like 1 out of 2. So it does matter there.

Not sure about this new breed of cards - but ive received new issuances of US cards recently, and while they are chipped (have been for a long time), they still have signature field.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

The other joke is "signing" on the pad at the grocery. It makes no difference what you put there.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

snackdog wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:25 pm The other joke is "signing" on the pad at the grocery. It makes no difference what you put there.
I had a friend in high school and college who once showed me a printed receipt where in the signature box at the terminal he had sketched a drawing of a stick figure shooting a bird in a tree (he enjoyed dove hunting). Sale went through no problem.
zincTwo

Post by zincTwo »

I've had two cashiers check the signature. One had me sign a piece of paper, and they visually compared them. Unfortunately, it was 5 yrs ago, and I cant remember the vendor.
The other told me I had forgotten to sign it :? , and asked me to sign it right then.
celia

Post by celia »

You’re supposed to sign the back of a credit card?
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

celia wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:00 pm You’re supposed to sign the back of a credit card?
How do does a cashier check the signature on a smart phone when the buyer uses Apple or Samsung Pay?
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

zincTwo wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:34 pm I've had two cashiers check the signature. One had me sign a piece of paper, and they visually compared them. Unfortunately, it was 5 yrs ago, and I cant remember the vendor.
The other told me I had forgotten to sign it :? , and asked me to sign it right then.

Yeah, that's really helpful.
Your signature when you sign it again right after should then be a terrific match.
Good to see security at work! :annoyed

Would have been nice if they had asked to see your drivers license or such...

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
krafty81

Post by krafty81 »

I write "SEE ID" in the signature block. In last five years, I have been asked for it once.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

krafty81 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:47 pm I write "SEE ID" in the signature block. In last five years, I have been asked for it once.
My spouse does something similar, no one ever asks for ID...
Rex66

Post by Rex66 »

As mentioned people rarely compare. I don’t believe writing check ID is binding in any way for the store. I sign mine so in case I lose it, somebody can’t sign it and then use their hand writing as proof of my signature. As also mentioned this is all weak and eventually going away
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:34 pm

DH's signature has never looked like anything using any type of alphabet at all. I can sort of recognize it from two usual (but not always) big "swirls" embedded within, and that's it.

"Checking signatures" wasn't particularly useful even several decades ago.

Starting in late 60's/early 70's, I started printing in large caps in that place where one is supposed to sign,

"CHECK PHOTO ID" (and this was in a thick black ink).

Cashiers/clerks/etc., would frequently turn the card over and appear to look at the signature.
For many years, those "cashier" types always performed very well indeed when they turned the card over to "inspect and match" the signature to what I had just signed on the receipt.

It was approximately 20 or 30 years ago when ONE cashier finally (!) looked at that supposed sample signature when "comparing" my scribblings on the receipt with the back of the card and seemed surprised. She then looked at me and asked to see a photo ID.
Once. Ever.

Where was it that such careful security was finally followed? Nope, not a nice jewelry purchase or some other shopping spree...
It was as I was leaving an underground parking garage in Downtown Metro, and the charge was less than $10.

Of course, as others have pointed out, in recent years, it's pretty rare for a "cashier type" to ever touch the card at all.

RM
I also do this. I have, however, had much better luck with clerks actually asking for my ID when they swipe the card (perhaps 1 in 10).

I also make it a point to thank them when they do so.

Ralph
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

No Need To Sign On Dotted Line: Credit Cards Are Phasing Out Signatures
NPR (2018)

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwoway/ ... signatures
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Reading this thread reminded me of a notice I saw this week. I was looking for skinny margarita mix at a major supermarket w/o luck. I used my phone to tap and pay using google pay to pay for the rest of my order. I went next door to the same supermarket's liquor store and saw a sign that said they had stopped accepting several types of tap and pay cards (not all) and perhaps no apple pay at all. Sorry I don't recall the exact details since I wasn't affected.

I tried googling for an explanation without results. All I found is that Walmart will not accept ApplePay. My supermarket was not a Walmart.

Its a mystery.

As to the OP. I still sign my cards if they have a strip. I was stopped at a rental car counter for using a card with no signature just a couple or three years ago. I signed it in front of them, no problem. I always use my phone with google pay unless forced to use the actual card. If I have to sign, it's a short squiggle.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

heartwood wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:32 am I tried googling for an explanation without results. All I found is that Walmart will not accept ApplePay. My supermarket was not a Walmart.

Its a mystery.
Some merchants don’t take Apple Pay because it is anonymous. They REALLY want to track their customers.

Walmart, Home Depot, and Krogers are major merchants who don’t accept Apple Pay. They all have their own apps they want you to use instead.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Haysnooze wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:43 pm Kids/young adults now a days don't even know how to sign their name. Only learned print.
That will be the demise of our society.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)