How to say "No" for an extended warranty?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Beensabu

Re: How to say "No" for an extended warranty?

Post by Beensabu »

psteinx wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:42 pm
Beensabu wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:14 pm If you have that hard a time saying "no" over and over again, just tell the finance person that you've already maxed out your budget on the price. Then they'll leave you be and blame the sales person instead for screwing it up for them.
"No."

No reason. Just "No."

At most, "No thank you", or "No, I'm not interested."

When you give reasons, you're inviting a conversation. Who wants to have a conversation with a pushy salesman?
I do need to work on my "No".

Sounds like OP does too.

They can always cross their arms in a "X" like my kid used to. If they do it in front of their face, they don't even have to see the look. :twisted:

It won't be a "you're crazy to think you could overcome my objections to your objections, but let's move on" look.

It'll be a "you're crazy for acting like you're 5, but let's move on" look.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Teague

Post by Teague »

Also be ready for this one-

F&I person: But we do have to charge you for the undercoating, window VIN etching, paint coating, upholstery protectant, and anti-theft device, because they've already been installed on the vehicle!

You: Remove them. I don't want a car that has any of those things on it. I'll just sit here while you do that. Make it quick.
Semper Augustus
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I am upfront and tell them I am not interested. They will act like you are a little off if you pay cash as well, as if you are crazy not to finance at a low rate.

Bottom line is this is what the FI guy makes money on, so he will not be overjoyed with your decision to pass on financing or insurance.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"Maybe tell the salesman that you have no interest in meeting the finance guy.
Is that even possible?"

Don't think so. I learned years ago to enjoy buying new cars. The dealership does not scare me. I can say no and smile at the same time. I can smile and say no and walk out with the same amount of money I walked in with. Remember, the sales and finance people are not your friends. What's the old joke? If you want a friend, get a dog.
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

Teague wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:10 pm Also be ready for this one-

F&I person: But we do have to charge you for the undercoating, window VIN etching, paint coating, upholstery protectant, and anti-theft device, because they've already been installed on the vehicle!

You: Remove them. I don't want a car that has any of those things on it. I'll just sit here while you do that. Make it quick.
Meh, not really the way to approach this.

Rather, negotiate on OTD (out-the-door) price, rather than run the risk of this kind of junk hitting you in the finance office. If they've already pre-etched the glass or whatever, fine, but that's part of the OTD negotiation, and not some add-on that they can hit you with afterwards.

(To be clear, I regard glass etching as adding ~$0 in value to the vehicle. But by comparing OTD prices at dealer A with OTD prices at dealer B, you go with the lowest, regardless of who has this stuff. If you attach value to something dealer B does automatically, fine, factor that into your price comparison.)
antiqueman

Post by antiqueman »

I detest car dealerships.

I walked one time on a car where price was agreed to and paperwork for title prepared etc. I was paying cash. The finance guy wanted to sell me a warranty, undercoating, and a few more additions. I told him politely "no." He asked a second time. I got up and left the dealership and left the car. I received a number of phone calls throughout the remainder of the day. I answered the 2nd or 3rd one. They were apologetic and asked me to come back and compete the purchase. I told them no, because they did not respect my earlier no and that I did not want to do business with people who ignored what I told them.

I have also left appliance stores and other similar businesses when they insist on my buying an extended warranty. I know me leaving has absolutely no effect on their continued attempts to gouge the next person. But I dont care. I will walk.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Channeling Nancy "Just Say No" Reagan .

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

I bought one once.

Other times my responses were:

No, I can barely afford the car

No I don’t believe in warranties.

No Are you saying the car isn’t reliable?

No I am a high mileage driver so I wouldn’t even get the full warranty timeframe.
Mid-40’s
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

It is shocking to me that the Bogleheads community has "degraded" to such an extent that this post has received 108 replies (counting my wasted reply) when the very first response answered the OP's inquiry. :D
Last edited by Pacific on Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

+1 "I can't make that decision without discussing it with my spouse. But thanks, anyway." Or ""My spouse and I already decided we don't want that But thanks, anyway." This is one important use of a spouse. It's plausible and they sure can't argue that discussing it with your spouse and/or having their approval isn't appropriate.

Or;
"Can you please just give me a copy of the extended warranty contract now, so I can read it later? I'll get back to you if I have questions or I decide I want it." It's a plausible ask, but they may not want an unsigned copy going out the door. (Or, more likely, they may not believe they have the authority to allow one out the door. Either way, roadblocks to the pitch can be helpful.)

And

"No thanks. I never buy extended warranties on anything."

Once I asked what company sells the warranty. The sales guy could only say "it's a Toyota warranty." But it was with a third party. Oh. "Well gee, I need to check that company out online."

+1 Be polite. Ask at the start how their day is going. These people are just doing their job. It's not necessarily a great job to have, so when they deal with people who are respectful, but firm in a polite way, they often will go easy on the BS sales pitches.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

Pacific wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:47 am It is shocking to me that the Bogleheads community has "degraded" to such an extent that this post has received 108 replies (counting my wasted reply) when the very first response answered the OP's inquiry.
What? There are a lot of good ideas and perspectives here. After all, I supplied some, so I know.

It can be a matter of interest here. If you're interested, read on. If not, try another topic. Oh, and skimming through Bogleheads responses until your eyes glaze over isn't necessarily a bad thing. I mean, it beats television, hands down.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Pacific wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:47 am It is shocking to me that the Bogleheads community has "degraded" to such an extent that this post has received 108 replies (counting my wasted reply) when the very first response answered the OP's inquiry.
What did you think was going to happen once free fall was gone and all the US vs ex-US threads got shut down before page 2?

The first responder has been quite good about reiterating their response, so at least there's that.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

valleyrock wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:58 am
It can be a matter of interest here. If you're interested, read on. If not, try another topic. Oh, and skimming through Bogleheads responses until your eyes glaze over isn't necessarily a bad thing. I mean, it beats television, hands down.
It beats most television, hands down.
wander

Post by wander »

I would simply say "No". It's so easy in my case since I don't have to keep all the receipts/papers for warranty purpose.
557880yvi

Post by 557880yvi »

1. Would you reduce the price of the vehicle by $ (3x cost of warranty) ?
2. Best one we always use (and it is true) "We self-insure all warranties"
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

Everyone has an anecdote so I'll add mine. Years ago I was buying a F150 and during the final paperwork the salesman asked if I'd like the extended warranty. I knew this was coming so with my best confident tone of voice I said, "Naw, it's Ford tough!" He grinned (or maybe grimaced...) and moved on. This was during the big "Ford Tough" commercial push.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Step 1. Say “No, thank you.”
Step 2. Repeat Step 1 as needed.
Misenplace

Post by Misenplace »

This thread has run its course and is locked (topic exhausted). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.