Replacing Oakley lenses with 3rd party company?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
angelescrest

Replacing Oakley lenses with 3rd party company?

Post by angelescrest »

My casual set of Oakley sunglasses need replacement lenses. I contacted them about warranty, but I don't meet their criteria. I've had them replace a previous set on a long out of date warranty which I was amazed with, and they've given me good service. These lenses had some issues recently and need replacing. They are not sport sunglasses, but tortoise shell style.

I see on their website that they have replacement lenses, and if I go with a polarized version (the Prizm polarized, which I would prefer as the previous non-polarized lenses had a lot of glare), they cost $115-$125. I actually paid about $60 for the entire thing (including the frame) during a Christmas sale. I really like the sunglasses, as it's hard to find ones that fit me as well as suit what I wear and use them for.

However, I saw that there is another website (there may be more), selling replacement lenses (https://www.revantoptics.com/), and these are more like $60 if I get their best. Lens Direct does the same, but they don't have them for my model. Does anybody have any experience replacing Oakley lenses with a third party lens company, and would you recommend it?
anon_investor

Re: Replacing Oakley lenses with 3rd party company?

Post by anon_investor »

angelescrest wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:03 am My casual set of Oakley sunglasses need replacement lenses. I contacted them about warranty, but I don't meet their criteria. I've had them replace a previous set on a long out of date warranty which I was amazed with, and they've given me good service. These lenses had some issues recently and need replacing. They are not sport sunglasses, but tortoise shell style.

I see on their website that they have replacement lenses, and if I go with a polarized version (the Prizm polarized, which I would prefer as the previous non-polarized lenses had a lot of glare), they cost $115-$125. I actually paid about $60 for the entire thing (including the frame) during a Christmas sale. I really like the sunglasses, as it's hard to find ones that fit me as well as suit what I wear and use them for.

However, I saw that there is another website (there may be more), selling replacement lenses (https://www.revantoptics.com/), and these are more like $60 if I get their best. Lens Direct does the same, but they don't have them for my model. Does anybody have any experience replacing Oakley lenses with a third party lens company, and would you recommend it?
I bought from Revant Optics via Amazon before, but the lens were a poor fit for my Oakley frames, so I just returned them. I ended up buying a new pair of sun glasses on sale for only a little more than replacement lenses from Oakley's website.
Emptykeg

Post by Emptykeg »

I I bought from Revant optics as well for an older pair of Oakley sunglasses. I found the lenses OK but not the same quality as Oakley. I found a seller on eBay who had authentic Oakley replacement lenses which were perfect. They were about the same price as Revant.
pandersfishy

Post by pandersfishy »

I've replaced three sets of lenses in Wiley X frames with great results. (www.apexlenses.us) After cataract surgery I no longer needed my shooting glasses with corrected lenses, and converted them back to regular sunglasses. No problems at all.
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Thanks for the feedback on Revant. Optics are important to me, so if they are notably subpar, I think I'll avoid them. I love my Oakleys, but hard not to think of Luxxotica as a monopoly.
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

pandersfishy wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:24 am I've replaced three sets of lenses in Wiley X frames with great results. (www.apexlenses.us) After cataract surgery I no longer needed my shooting glasses with corrected lenses, and converted them back to regular sunglasses. No problems at all.
Do you feel they were close to being equivalent to the original lenses? Also would love to know if you tried the Polarized or Polarized Pro (the latter one is +$20 and includes anti-reflective coating it seems). I'm noticing they're saying their lenses at 1.5mm thick compared to 1.0, and I'm not sure how that's a good thing in terms of fit and installation.
pandersfishy

Post by pandersfishy »

Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been traveling all day.

I went with the polarized pro (+ $20). I like the mirror coating. They "feel" like good replacements...right from when I first put them in. Of course the alternative was $100 for Wiley X lenses, so I was up for the experiment. I had one set of original lenses that were not polarized, and wanted the polarize + mirrors, so I ordered a pair, and could compare the originals to the apex replacements. They seem(ed) fine to me. I've been wearing all three pairs for a year now, depending on which car I'm driving, or hiking outdoors, and I am very satisfied. (I have no relationship with apex...just a satisfied customer). By the way, when you order a pair, you get a coupon for a substantial discount off another pair (at least I did). Not sure that will help you, getting one pair, but since I eventually ordered three...

Hope this helps.
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Some really good input. I ended up going with Fuse Lenses, and getting their top mirrored, polarized lens. I don't think they look as nice, plus they have the branding on there which I don't care for, but the quality of the optics are good. I'm not qualified to comment how good, but what I read is that the mirrored (and polarized) reduce glare, which I didn't like about the older Oakley lenses. So in that sense, it's an improvement, and at just over 1/3rd of the cost. If they let me pay to remove the branding, I'd have done it.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

Thank you for posting up the various options. I have a pair of Maui Jim's that got a scratch on the left lens, near the center of the lens.

My optician tells me that I'd be required to replace BOTH lenses, and the cost is $600.

I like the MJ frames, but no way am I paying $600 to essentially replace one lens!

I'll take a look at Fuse Lenses, and see if I can get a set there; I have a progressive prescription, so I have been unwilling to go entirely online. Since CA requires that the optometrist give me my prescription, I can get the lenses done elsewhere. :sharebeer