Master Bathroom Reno Advice

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
arf1410

Re: Master Bathroom Reno Advice

Post by arf1410 »

Our contractor said benches are "out" and would be considered dated at this point. Also said they didnt serve much purpose, other than a place to leave shampoo bottles. Unless one is elderly / disabled, who sits down in a shower?
LookingForward

Post by LookingForward »

Our mid-90s house didn't have vents or fans in our bathrooms. When we had them put in, our electrician put the fan motor in the attic, halfway along the vent ductwork. That makes the fan nearly silent except for the faint sound of the air moving through the fan cover. It annoys me now when I visit someone that has a fan motor right in the ceiling vent.
shess

Post by shess »

arf1410 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:31 pm Our contractor said benches are "out" and would be considered dated at this point. Also said they didnt serve much purpose, other than a place to leave shampoo bottles. Unless one is elderly / disabled, who sits down in a shower?
I'm about 95% convinced that even if you intended to accommodate elderly/disabled, almost nothing you do will actually be all that useful. The problem is that everyone will sit back and imagine what would be good ideas, but most likely nobody will make informed decisions with actual knowledge. For instance, we discussed putting in blocking in case we later wanted grab bars - but in deciding where to put the blocking, we mostly were "Well, this seems like a sensible place". The problem is that if/when we need the grab bars, we'd probably also need to revisit the entire design of the shower - the grab bars won't be useful if the user cannot even successfully enter the shower area. Likewise for a tub, it's really easy to imagine a tub layout where grab bars don't even begin to address the biggest user issues. A well-designed accessible bathroom isn't just a series of accidents made by random contractors.

I know that our bench most likely would be of little or no use to someone with a disability. Not because it's iconoclastic or something, but mostly because it's not that useful to me right now.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

shess wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:46 pm
arf1410 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:31 pm Our contractor said benches are "out" and would be considered dated at this point. Also said they didnt serve much purpose, other than a place to leave shampoo bottles. Unless one is elderly / disabled, who sits down in a shower?
I'm about 95% convinced that even if you intended to accommodate elderly/disabled, almost nothing you do will actually be all that useful. The problem is that everyone will sit back and imagine what would be good ideas, but most likely nobody will make informed decisions with actual knowledge. For instance, we discussed putting in blocking in case we later wanted grab bars - but in deciding where to put the blocking, we mostly were "Well, this seems like a sensible place". The problem is that if/when we need the grab bars, we'd probably also need to revisit the entire design of the shower - the grab bars won't be useful if the user cannot even successfully enter the shower area. Likewise for a tub, it's really easy to imagine a tub layout where grab bars don't even begin to address the biggest user issues. A well-designed accessible bathroom isn't just a series of accidents made by random contractors.

I know that our bench most likely would be of little or no use to someone with a disability. Not because it's iconoclastic or something, but mostly because it's not that useful to me right now.
We debated a bench seat but in the end DW didn't want one. I told her a built-in would be cold and slick, she worried about teak so for now no seat. When she does we will get one, fortunately the master bath has been remodeled and now is much larger. We also have two shower heads, which makes it very easy to utilize whatever seating DW wants. We have the shower niches for the shampoo/body wash/soap/whatever. We had all the grab bars installed as DW is 69, they will be needed sooner or later.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
rennale

Post by rennale »

tibbitts wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:42 am
rennale wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:13 pm - I wish I could have fitted a heated floor but it wasn't practical. But I've found that the new textured/leathered tiles feel much warmer than the original marble tiles. That came as a nice surprise.
I haven't heard of these tiles. What's considered the best combination of low-maintenance and comfort for bathroom flooring?
Oh, I probably used the wrong term. They're Italian tile with a textured, slightly rough/bumpy surface, rather than the shiny, smooth and somewhat cold marble that was there before. I suppose they conduct heat slightly differently. I didn't mean to oversell it - it's not a big thing!
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

I think a triangular corner bench can be convenient for several reasons. For example, women can prop their leg up on it to help shave.
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

putting shower controls right as you enter the shower is a must. i made the mistake of putting it at the other end , where now i have to reach in all the way into the shower to turn it on.

if you do overhead rainshower, get a 3 way mixer so you also have a handheld , and a tub spout.

i have a handrail along the length of the shower
rennale

Post by rennale »

arf1410 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:31 pm Unless one is elderly / disabled, who sits down in a shower?
Well, anyone who has backache. So, most people at some time or other.

I paid to have a fold down seat in my shower on the basis that it was the most reliable way to ensure that I never have back troubles again (ha! I wish). :-)
TJat

Post by TJat »

shess wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:18 pm
msj16 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:33 am About Benches: I was told they put in benches even in a 3 x 4 shower. I am considering ditching the bench which goes wall to wall and either putting in (a) triangular bench - approximately (12 by 12 by 17) or slightly bigger (15 x 15 by 21 1/4) or (b) skipping the bench entirely. I could purchase a Teak Bench. Thoughts?
WRT bench, we finished renovating two bathrooms earlier this year. We thought the bench was a good idea. In practice, it sucks. Part of this is because our design/build group are idiots. I think they sized the bench without considering the glass inset, so 53yo me can use it fine, but it is really too narrow for me to expect 70yo me to get any use out of it. Additionally, the bench is opposite the showerhead, which means the wall and glass around it are COLD. I 100% wish we had gone with a teak bench.

A bonus of omitting the bench is that we could have had the back wall rise higher to provide a ledge.
I’d echo this 100%. We have a beautiful tiled bench, but it’s cold and slimy to sit on. It’s okay to prop a foot and can store bottles, but not useful at all as a seat.
Topic Author
msj16

Post by msj16 »

Busy week. Thanks for the continued feedback.

MSJ - I love the idea of the pop-out outlet in the vanity.
artf1410 - Yes I have removed the bench.
LookingForward - I will ask about having the fan motor in the attic. Thanks.
shess - Yes thanks for the reality check about a well-designed accessible bathroom
Broken Man 1999 - Agree with no bench.
Kookaburra - We are getting a small (12 y 12 by 17) triangular corner "bench" - too small to sit on.
buglehead - The contractor was initially reluctant but I did insist on putting the shower control as you enter the shower. Thanks for the suggestion regarding the 3 way mixer.
rennale - Glad the fold down seat worked for you.
TJat - Agree about the bench. I would not sit on it.

My next decision is to choose granite or quartz for the countertop. I am leaning towards granite since I like a nice warm beige color which is hard to find in quartz. Any thoughts are appreciated. Otherwise thanks everyone!