What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Capsu78
Posts: 586
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 10:30 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Capsu78 »

Watched "Hustle" yesterday afternoon while my wife was at work... Really, really liked it but full disclaimer I grew up in Upper Bucks county in the 70's, so a natural favorable bias toward all things Philly, even though I haven't lived in the same time zone in 45 years. Characters I not only liked, but loved.
Re watched with CA born DW last night who is neither tethered to Philly, nor a fan of basketball and she even teared up a couple of times. Ready to accept Adam Sandler as more than an SNL actor turned movie character. Sure, they remade a number of Rocky/Creed storyline moments but I don't think I have ever greatly enjoyed 2 viewings of the same movie on the same day before.
I will add this to my Rocky/ Hoosiers / Rudy / Blind Side / We Are Marshal genre file.
DurangoWino
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by DurangoWino »

Saw “Where the Crawdads Sing” this afternoon in local theater and it was very good. Had started the book and put it down, glad that I did and saw the movie first without knowing what was going to happen.
User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 3658
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am
Location: 2120 S. Michigan Ave. Chicago, IL

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Nicolas »

Capsu78 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:16 pm Rented "Pee Wees Big Adventure" and watched "Pee Wees Big Holiday" in my ongoing project to show my Grandsons, age 4 and 9, what humor looked like when their parents were their age. 9 did a lot of eye rolling but was engrossed at the end of Big Adventure when they tie together all of the random characters. 4 had belly laughs at a number of random parts and now gets to belly laugh when I force him to do the Tequilla dance.
Recommended for Social Security recipients with the maturity of a 13 year old...I know you are but what am I?
Fun forgotten Fact- Big adventure is a Tim Burton production...
Another FF - Big Adventure released this day in 1985.

Tell them Large Marge sent you.
“PeeWee’s Big Adventure” is a great film. I’ve seen it a few times but not in recent decades. My kids loved it too, back then. Subsequently I rented “Big Top PeeWee” from Blockbuster and tried to watch it. I could not, it was so bad. I returned it to Blockbuster half-watched. Yes, I did rewind.
bonniem
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:51 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by bonniem »

Just saw "The Outfit" on Peacock Plus . Really enjoyed it, especially the opening scenes with the tailor, Mark Rylance, and his assistant. They were lovely.

It turns up to be a clever mystery, all taking place in one location, the tailor's shop.
User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Posts: 47214
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by nisiprius »

The Small Back Room, 1949 movie based on the Nigel Balchin novel of the same name. I watched it because I'd just read the book. Fairly good, and very interesting in illustrating the atmosphere and cultural details, but they "fixed" the ending to make it a happy ending--when the book ending was more or less of a downer.

There is a really great scene in which the poohbah minister, who knows absolutely nothing about science, is shown what the research unit is doing and fixates on the rotary calculator, a standard scientific tool of the day, which fascinates him and is the only thing he pays attention to. He thinks the research unit must be great because they have this impressive calculator.

The high point of the book and movie is an extended sequence about disarming a bomb. Oddly enough, the sequence is much more intense and suspenseful in the book than it is in the movie.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Zeno
Posts: 769
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:44 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Zeno »

Since we have some geology on the site tonight, I recommend "Magical Andes" on Netflix. Nature, geology, philosophy and life, all wrapped up in one.
User avatar
tooluser
Posts: 1276
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by tooluser »

Capsu78 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:16 pm Rented "Pee Wees Big Adventure" and watched "Pee Wees Big Holiday" in my ongoing project to show my Grandsons, age 4 and 9, what humor looked like when their parents were their age. 9 did a lot of eye rolling but was engrossed at the end of Big Adventure when they tie together all of the random characters. 4 had belly laughs at a number of random parts and now gets to belly laugh when I force him to do the Tequilla dance.
Recommended for Social Security recipients with the maturity of a 13 year old...I know you are but what am I?
Fun forgotten Fact- Big adventure is a Tim Burton production...
Another FF - Big Adventure released this day in 1985.

Tell them Large Marge sent you.
It is odd to think back to some of the movies I watched on TV in the 1970s as a child (mostly black & white comedies, horror, and sci-fi). Most were less than 30 years old, and seemed old then, a way to pass the time with little choice in what to view, and yet now they are 80 years old, and are classics, and I still love them. Good times.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
MDfan
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:32 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by MDfan »

DurangoWino wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:54 pm Saw “Where the Crawdads Sing” this afternoon in local theater and it was very good. Had started the book and put it down, glad that I did and saw the movie first without knowing what was going to happen.
We saw it, too. My wife said the book was much better. I thought the movie was just ok but it felt like a Lifetime Channel movie to me. Pretty cheesy in parts.
sunsetting101
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:34 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by sunsetting101 »

squirrel1963 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:05 pm
sunsetting101 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:06 am
abuss368 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:19 am ‘Saving Private Ryan”. Sad but always enjoy the film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saving_Private_Ryan

Tony
There is a scene that really haunts me after learning more about it. See the history starting at 12:45 in the link (https://youtu.be/h1aGH6NbbyE?t=748).

Just think about what was done. You've been watching and seeing all the difficulties and horrors the soldiers had to battle to get onto the beaches. When they finally start to take control of the beaches, you're rooting for them. And then that scene happens. Who did you just root for? Awe man. That's twisted. I guess that was the point to show how easy that can happen.
These scenes are super tough to watch and it's really hard to figure out who to root for.
Germany (like Japan) were the invading countries, so that puts them automatically on the evil side, and a lot of Nazis and Japanese were without a doubt evil. But at the same time by and large the German army was made of professional soldiers and not fanatics. In this case they were poor conscripts. Presumably these GIS didn't know foreign languages and I imagine in the heat of the battle with bullets flying everywhere you don't care which nationality they are anyway.

My take is that unfortunately war is the business of killing and in the "fog of war" morality becomes loose real fast. I'm still rooting for the GIS all in all in this case.

Have you watched Band of Brothers? The moral dilemmas and the killing of soldiers who surrendered is even more dramatic.
I was thinking more along the lines of too bad they didn't clarify that miscommunication as the GIs shot "friedlies". I didn't mean to imply I would have rooted for those "fiendliess" over the GIs. What I saw was some frustrated GIs wanting to extract to pay back to the enemy but they took it out on "friendlies". But I guess they did have the enemy uniform on and that makes them officially under that organization. I would imagine they had a tough choice to make as I guess they had to choose between being shot or put on those uniforms.

Band of Brothers was a great movie.
User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 23601
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ruralavalon »

The Mysterious Island, on TCM network.

This movie is based on a novel of the same name by Jules Verne. Inmates of a civil war prison camp escape by stealing an observation balloon, and crash on an uncharted island which is the secret base of Capitan Nemo and his submarine, the Nautilus.

I am a fan of Jules Vern, but was disappointed by a poorly done movie. Not recommended.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
User avatar
Youngblood
Posts: 648
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:18 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Youngblood »

Barefoot on Netflix.

A feel good drama/commedy that we both enjoyed.

Stars: Scott Speedman, Evan Rachel Wood, Treat Williams and JK Simmons.

Son of a wealthy family meets a psychiatric patient whom he takes home to his brother's wedding.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch
MaskelyneW
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:12 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by MaskelyneW »

The Last Detail (1973) with Jack Nicholson - Loved it!
User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 3658
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am
Location: 2120 S. Michigan Ave. Chicago, IL

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Nicolas »

MaskelyneW wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:49 am The Last Detail (1973) with Jack Nicholson - Loved it!
I enjoyed that film too.
Serie1926
Posts: 159
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:00 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Serie1926 »

While not one I've watched yet, thought worth mentioning coming soon hopefully.

https://youtu.be/u2RVq7Oz-ro
jlawrence01
Posts: 1773
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:34 am
Location: Southern AZ

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by jlawrence01 »

Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris (2022)

The story of a war widow housekeeper to achieve her life's dream - to own a Christian Dior couture gown. It is a quite enjoyable Hungarian film that is quite well done.
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 83946
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by LadyGeek »

Elsebet wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:41 am Red Rocket, on Netflix blu-ray. Fair warning, this film is rated R. (Graphic Nudity|Drug Use|Pervasive Language|Strong Sexual Content). I liked it, good acting and the story was interesting. Part of the appeal for me was that this character's life is so wild and unsafe compared to mine that it's almost uncomfortable at times. This movie really put me out of my comfort zone similar to the movie Uncut Gems and makes me wonder at how some people can thrive in these frenetic and chaotic lifestyles and others (like me) yearn for safety and peace.
Red Rocket on Amazon Prime ($4.99 rental), rated R, 2021, comedy / drama. A washed up movie star goes back home to hustle a few bucks. This movie is a parody on a slice of small-town Americana. Based on my experience, I don't feel uncomfortable about it at all. A few scenes were humorous if you understand the culture.

The TV ads played in the background were a nice touch which I think is part of the parody. Just when you think the movie is winding down, there's a sudden and interesting twist which keeps you interested through to the end.

The production had good audio - subtle, but accurate, and is a sign the movie is well produced. This movie won a bunch of awards. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Capsu78
Posts: 586
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 10:30 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Capsu78 »

Youngblood wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:43 am Barefoot on Netflix.

A feel good drama/commedy that we both enjoyed.

Stars: Scott Speedman, Evan Rachel Wood, Treat Williams and JK Simmons.

Son of a wealthy family meets a psychiatric patient whom he takes home to his brother's wedding.
Thanks for the recommendation! DW and I agreed that this was a good choice for a stay at home Sat night.
User avatar
tooluser
Posts: 1276
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by tooluser »

ruralavalon wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:21 am
wilson08 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:42 pm The Apartment
1960, Starring Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine
Nice guy C.C. Baxter (Lemmon) tries to please everyone in his gargantuan
office complex hoping it will advance his career. He allows philandering
work associates access to his apartment for their illicit rendezvous at great
inconvenience to himself.
He falls for elevator operator Fran Kubelik (MacLaine) and a bittersweet
story with a gem of an ending develops.
Great classic. Recommended.
Viewed on Amazon Prime
An outstanding classic.
I recently recorded this from TCM and watched it. It's quite good. I am neither a Jack Lemmon nor a Shirley MacLaine fan, but they were both excellent, and if this had been the first time I saw them I would likely have formed a different opinion. Fun to see the fatherly nutty professor Fred MacMurray playing a cruel jerk. One weakness: the movie treats the topic of suicide rather casually, which I don't think would fly well today. Would be a good double feature with How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
User avatar
Topic Author
abuss368
Posts: 26443
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by abuss368 »

“A Beautiful Mind” on Hulu.

Never saw this before and really liked it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Beautiful_Mind_(film)

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
doobiedoo
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:10 pm
Location: Southern CA

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by doobiedoo »

abuss368 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:48 am “A Beautiful Mind” on Hulu.

Never saw this before and really liked it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Beautiful_Mind_(film)

Best.
Tony
Yes, I liked "A Beautiful Mind" too.

So much that I read the book after I saw the movie. While the movie was much more entertaining than the book, I was fascinated by the sources for the book, many of which were my professors at MIT!
Arthur Mattuck, Gian-Carlo Rota, Henry Kendall as I recall.
User avatar
Topic Author
abuss368
Posts: 26443
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by abuss368 »

doobiedoo wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:04 am
abuss368 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:48 am “A Beautiful Mind” on Hulu.

Never saw this before and really liked it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Beautiful_Mind_(film)

Best.
Tony
Yes, I liked "A Beautiful Mind" too.

So much that I read the book after I saw the movie. While the movie was much more entertaining than the book, I was fascinated by the sources for the book, many of which were my professors at MIT!
Arthur Mattuck, Gian-Carlo Rota, Henry Kendall as I recall.
I had not idea this was based on a true story!

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
User avatar
House Blend
Posts: 4847
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by House Blend »

Heavenly Creatures (1994).

This is one of the first movies directed by Peter (Lord of the Rings) Jackson. Also the film debut of Kate Winslett.

Based on a true story. Set in New Zealand in the early 1950s, it concerns two schoolgirls that develop an intense relationship. When the parents intervene, tragedy results.

I rate it 4 stars out of 5. It had the feel of a 1950s-era Hitchcock movie. (Not top-drawer Hitchcock like Vertigo or Rear Window, but the next level down is still pretty damn good.)

I saw it on disk-by-mail from Netflix. I have no idea if any streaming services might have it.
User avatar
Topic Author
abuss368
Posts: 26443
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by abuss368 »

“Jaws The Revenge” on Tubi. I have now watched all 4 films for the first time. They are all on Tubi for free.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaws:_The_Revenge

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
User avatar
bengal22
Posts: 2083
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by bengal22 »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:02 am
Capsu78 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:16 pm Rented "Pee Wees Big Adventure" and watched "Pee Wees Big Holiday" in my ongoing project to show my Grandsons, age 4 and 9, what humor looked like when their parents were their age. 9 did a lot of eye rolling but was engrossed at the end of Big Adventure when they tie together all of the random characters. 4 had belly laughs at a number of random parts and now gets to belly laugh when I force him to do the Tequilla dance.
Recommended for Social Security recipients with the maturity of a 13 year old...I know you are but what am I?
Fun forgotten Fact- Big adventure is a Tim Burton production...
Another FF - Big Adventure released this day in 1985.

Tell them Large Marge sent you.
“PeeWee’s Big Adventure” is a great film. I’ve seen it a few times but not in recent decades. My kids loved it too, back then. Subsequently I rented “Big Top PeeWee” from Blockbuster and tried to watch it. I could not, it was so bad. I returned it to Blockbuster half-watched. Yes, I did rewind.
Per Wee's Big Adventure was an allegory based on the Odyssey which I found to be much too dark for children under 12. While the acting was superb, I really felt the hidden messages were too thickly veiled to be much use for the common man.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 9486
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by bertilak »

bengal22 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:42 am Per Wee's Big Adventure was an allegory based on the Odyssey ...
I did not know that. I might have to take a look.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
User avatar
Artful Dodger
Posts: 1574
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Artful Dodger »

ruralavalon wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:15 am The Mysterious Island, on TCM network.

This movie is based on a novel of the same name by Jules Verne. Inmates of a civil war prison camp escape by stealing an observation balloon, and crash on an uncharted island which is the secret base of Capitan Nemo and his submarine, the Nautilus.

I am a fan of Jules Vern, but was disappointed by a poorly done movie. Not recommended.
Which version? I think there are a few. I fondly remember the 1961 movie. It was great seeing it as a kid: had those awesome Ray Harryhausen stop motion creatures.
tvubpwcisla
Posts: 982
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:09 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by tvubpwcisla »

The Transporter
User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 9486
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by bertilak »

ruralavalon wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:15 am The Mysterious Island, on TCM network.

This movie is based on a novel of the same name by Jules Verne. Inmates of a civil war prison camp escape by stealing an observation balloon, and crash on an uncharted island which is the secret base of Capitan Nemo and his submarine, the Nautilus.

I am a fan of Jules Vern, but was disappointed by a poorly done movie. Not recommended.
I liked the 1959 version of Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth with James Mason and Pat Boone. It's a pretty lavish production. There is danger, humor and romance. Mason adds some class as does Bernard Herrmann's music. Hermann's music can also be heard in Citizen Kane and Psycho (among 9 Hitchcock movies), so he is no slouch!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
User avatar
Tubes
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:33 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Tubes »

House Blend wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:46 pm Heavenly Creatures (1994).

This is one of the first movies directed by Peter (Lord of the Rings) Jackson. Also the film debut of Kate Winslett.

Based on a true story. Set in New Zealand in the early 1950s, it concerns two schoolgirls that develop an intense relationship. When the parents intervene, tragedy results.

I rate it 4 stars out of 5. It had the feel of a 1950s-era Hitchcock movie. (Not top-drawer Hitchcock like Vertigo or Rear Window, but the next level down is still pretty damn good.)

I saw it on disk-by-mail from Netflix. I have no idea if any streaming services might have it.
It is worth it. I saw this years ago before Kate Winslet became a huge A-list star. I forgot the name of the other actress, but I know she has had good success too. Very good.
User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 3658
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am
Location: 2120 S. Michigan Ave. Chicago, IL

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Nicolas »

bertilak wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:31 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:15 am The Mysterious Island, on TCM network.

This movie is based on a novel of the same name by Jules Verne. Inmates of a civil war prison camp escape by stealing an observation balloon, and crash on an uncharted island which is the secret base of Capitan Nemo and his submarine, the Nautilus.

I am a fan of Jules Vern, but was disappointed by a poorly done movie. Not recommended.
I liked the 1959 version of Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth with James Mason and Pat Boone. It's a pretty lavish production. There is danger, humor and romance. Mason adds some class as does Bernard Herrmann's music. Hermann's music can also be heard in Citizen Kane and Psycho (among 9 Hitchcock movies), so he is no slouch!
I too liked the 1959 Journey to the Center of the Earth. That and the 1960 The Time Machine are the most memorable films of my childhood. I was entranced.

We watched the 1954 Disney production of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea with James Mason, Kirk Douglas, and Peter Lorre recently on Disney +. I hadn’t seen it in a very long time. It’s quite good. The submarine is a steam-punk classic and could be considered one of the major characters in itself. I always enjoy seeing James Mason and Peter Lorre.
User avatar
Tubes
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:33 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Tubes »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:52 am
bertilak wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:31 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:15 am The Mysterious Island, on TCM network.

This movie is based on a novel of the same name by Jules Verne. Inmates of a civil war prison camp escape by stealing an observation balloon, and crash on an uncharted island which is the secret base of Capitan Nemo and his submarine, the Nautilus.

I am a fan of Jules Vern, but was disappointed by a poorly done movie. Not recommended.
I liked the 1959 version of Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth with James Mason and Pat Boone. It's a pretty lavish production. There is danger, humor and romance. Mason adds some class as does Bernard Herrmann's music. Hermann's music can also be heard in Citizen Kane and Psycho (among 9 Hitchcock movies), so he is no slouch!
I too liked the 1959 Journey to the Center of the Earth. That and the 1960 The Time Machine are the most memorable films of my childhood. I was entranced.

We watched the 1954 Disney production of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea with James Mason, Kirk Douglas, and Peter Lorre recently on Disney +. I hadn’t seen it in a very long time. It’s quite good. The submarine is a steam-punk classic and could be considered one of the major characters in itself. I always enjoy seeing James Mason and Peter Lorre.
Me too.

And I'm going to bet you watched them on Frazier Thomas's "Family Classics". What a great program. A simpler time, but they sure knew how to pick out the gems.

As a young boy, "The Time Machine" had everything I ever wanted. Cool Sci Fi and beautiful people. Weena may have been my first crush. I found the concept of time and physical displacement fascinating, and frankly, it was one of the many influences that got me into technology.
evelynmanley
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:13 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by evelynmanley »

Fire Will Come

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Will-Come-A ... B091G3FCXH

This is one of the most unique and beautiful films I've seen. I live in Northern California, so the threat of destruction by fire is close to home. This film is so lovely and poignant, so gorgeously filmed.

<<Amador Coro has been condemned for having provoked a fire. Nobody is waiting for him when he's released from prison, and he returns to his hometown, a small village hidden in the mountains of rural Galicia, to live with his mother, Benedicta, and their three cows. Life goes by slowly, following the rhythm of nature-until one night a fire starts devastating the region.<<

Directors
Oliver Laxe

Starring
Amador Arias, Benedicta Sánchez

Genres
Arthouse, Drama

Subtitles
English [CC]

Audio languages
Español
User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 3658
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am
Location: 2120 S. Michigan Ave. Chicago, IL

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Nicolas »

Tubes wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:08 pm
Nicolas wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:52 am
bertilak wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:31 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:15 am The Mysterious Island, on TCM network.

This movie is based on a novel of the same name by Jules Verne. Inmates of a civil war prison camp escape by stealing an observation balloon, and crash on an uncharted island which is the secret base of Capitan Nemo and his submarine, the Nautilus.

I am a fan of Jules Vern, but was disappointed by a poorly done movie. Not recommended.
I liked the 1959 version of Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth with James Mason and Pat Boone. It's a pretty lavish production. There is danger, humor and romance. Mason adds some class as does Bernard Herrmann's music. Hermann's music can also be heard in Citizen Kane and Psycho (among 9 Hitchcock movies), so he is no slouch!
I too liked the 1959 Journey to the Center of the Earth. That and the 1960 The Time Machine are the most memorable films of my childhood. I was entranced.

We watched the 1954 Disney production of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea with James Mason, Kirk Douglas, and Peter Lorre recently on Disney +. I hadn’t seen it in a very long time. It’s quite good. The submarine is a steam-punk classic and could be considered one of the major characters in itself. I always enjoy seeing James Mason and Peter Lorre.
Me too.

And I'm going to bet you watched them on Frazier Thomas's "Family Classics". What a great program. A simpler time, but they sure knew how to pick out the gems.

As a young boy, "The Time Machine" had everything I ever wanted. Cool Sci Fi and beautiful people. Weena may have been my first crush. I found the concept of time and physical displacement fascinating, and frankly, it was one of the many influences that got me into technology.
No, I watched them first-run at my local cinema in 1959 and 1960.

I share your sentiments vis-a-vis The Time Machine. My young self found it fascinating.
Capsu78
Posts: 586
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 10:30 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Capsu78 »

"Purple Hearts" on Netflix. I kind of waffled back and forth on if I was liking what I was watching but in the end it won me over.
I have a feeling the "gals" will like this more than the "guys".
tenkuky
Posts: 2139
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by tenkuky »

Moonfall (2022)
Free DVD from public library.
2 hours of absurd plot, weak CGI and contrived performances.
Avoid :annoyed
jginseattle
Posts: 986
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by jginseattle »

Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris. Lesley Manville is very good, but I found the movie to be too pat and overly cute. The sentimental music doesn't help.

In theaters now.
tenkuky
Posts: 2139
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by tenkuky »

The Lost City (2022)
Free DVD from public library.
Rollicking story of a fantasy novelist caught in a treasure hunt.
Sandra Bullock's comedic timing is impeccable. :beer
User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 23601
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ruralavalon »

King Kong, on Amazon Prime.

This was the original 1933 version starring Fay Wray. A film crew goes to a tropical island for an exotic location shoot and discovers a colossal ape who takes a shine to their female blonde star.

Trailer
Last edited by ruralavalon on Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
homebuyer6426
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:08 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Dodes'ka-den, 1970 by Akira Kurosawa. Underrated film of his, his first in color. About a bunch of people who live on a landfill.
User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 3658
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am
Location: 2120 S. Michigan Ave. Chicago, IL

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Nicolas »

homebuyer6426 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:05 am Dodes'ka-den, 1970 by Akira Kurosawa. Underrated film of his, his first in color. About a bunch of people who live on a landfill.
That was a strange one. I’ve made it one of my life’s goals to see all of his films and I’ve partly succeeded.
User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 23601
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ruralavalon »

Journey to the Center of the Earth, on Amazon Prime.

This was the 1959 movie version of Jules Verne's novel starring James Mason, Arlene Dahl and Pat Boone. An Edinburgh geology professor and companions descend an Icelandic volcano.

Trailer
Last edited by ruralavalon on Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Malum Prohibitum
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:08 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Malum Prohibitum »

sunsetting101 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:06 am
abuss368 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:19 am ‘Saving Private Ryan”. Sad but always enjoy the film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saving_Private_Ryan

Tony
There is a scene that really haunts me after learning more about it. See the history starting at 12:45 in the link (https://youtu.be/h1aGH6NbbyE?t=748).

Just think about what was done. You've been watching and seeing all the difficulties and horrors the soldiers had to battle to get onto the beaches. When they finally start to take control of the beaches, you're rooting for them. And then that scene happens. Who did you just root for? Awe man. That's twisted. I guess that was the point to show how easy that can happen.
Wow, I just wanted to say thanks for sharing that! I would never have picked up on that detail. Maybe there should have been subtitles.
Malum Prohibitum
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:08 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Malum Prohibitum »

Dog.

A former Army Ranger on a road trip with a troublesome Belgian Malinois to his former handler's funeral. Funny and heartwarming at the same time.
MariaT
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:34 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by MariaT »

Just watched Thirteen Lives on Amazon Prime, about the rescue of the Thai soccer kids and their coach in a Thai cave during a monsoon storm.
Starring Virgo Mortensen, Colin Farrell and John Edgerton as the rescue divers. An excellent movie and based on a true story. It dramatized the almost impossible mission to save the kids and their coach.
User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 14297
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ResearchMed »

MariaT wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:17 am Just watched Thirteen Lives on Amazon Prime, about the rescue of the Thai soccer kids and their coach in a Thai cave during a monsoon storm.
Starring Virgo Mortensen, Colin Farrell and John Edgerton as the rescue divers. An excellent movie and based on a true story. It dramatized the almost impossible mission to save the kids and their coach.

Oh!
Having lived through the waiting and watching in real time. I don't think I want to "do that" again. My fingernails finally grew back...
It was an amazing effort, with incredible success. (Not including any spoiler for anyone who happened to miss the real event.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
scguy613
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:42 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by scguy613 »

The Rookie. This is a good baseball movie based on a true story about a high school coach who didn’t make it in the minor leagues because of an injury. His team asked him to tryout again and he said he would if the team wins the district title. They win it and he tries out and makes it to the major league. It’s a true story based on pitcher Jim Morris and stars Dennis Quaid. Really good movie.
User avatar
Elsebet
Posts: 1358
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:28 pm
Location: Erie, PA

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Elsebet »

"Drive my car" on blu-ray from Netflix. Very beautiful and well produced movie. Personally I found the characters a bit stiff but that might be a cultural thing. There was one scene where (spoilers) the actors were complaining a little about having to read the script over and over in monotone and I found that to be refreshing, as if for just a moment they let their guards down.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Parkinglotracer
Posts: 1374
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:49 am
Location: Upstate NY

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Parkinglotracer »

MariaT wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:17 am Just watched Thirteen Lives on Amazon Prime, about the rescue of the Thai soccer kids and their coach in a Thai cave during a monsoon storm.
Starring Virgo Mortensen, Colin Farrell and John Edgerton as the rescue divers. An excellent movie and based on a true story. It dramatized the almost impossible mission to save the kids and their coach.
Great flick … we enjoyed it. Appropriate for kids I’d say. We saw it was produced by Ron Howard. Could have been releases at theaters I’d think. Better plot line than topgun 2, Er l mean topgun maverick.
MDfan
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:32 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by MDfan »

Parkinglotracer wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:58 am
MariaT wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:17 am Just watched Thirteen Lives on Amazon Prime, about the rescue of the Thai soccer kids and their coach in a Thai cave during a monsoon storm.
Starring Virgo Mortensen, Colin Farrell and John Edgerton as the rescue divers. An excellent movie and based on a true story. It dramatized the almost impossible mission to save the kids and their coach.
Great flick … we enjoyed it. Appropriate for kids I’d say. We saw it was produced by Ron Howard. Could have been releases at theaters I’d think. Better plot line than topgun 2, Er l mean topgun maverick.
Maybe because it's a true story? If you're dissecting the plot of TOP Gun Maverick - which was a really fun, entertaining, popcorn movie - you're doing it wrong.
Parkinglotracer
Posts: 1374
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:49 am
Location: Upstate NY

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Parkinglotracer »

MDfan wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:50 am
Parkinglotracer wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:58 am
MariaT wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:17 am Just watched Thirteen Lives on Amazon Prime, about the rescue of the Thai soccer kids and their coach in a Thai cave during a monsoon storm.
Starring Virgo Mortensen, Colin Farrell and John Edgerton as the rescue divers. An excellent movie and based on a true story. It dramatized the almost impossible mission to save the kids and their coach.
Great flick … we enjoyed it. Appropriate for kids I’d say. We saw it was produced by Ron Howard. Could have been releases at theaters I’d think. Better plot line than topgun 2, Er l mean topgun maverick.
Maybe because it's a true story? If you're dissecting the plot of TOP Gun Maverick - which was a really fun, entertaining, popcorn movie - you're doing it wrong.
Good flying video (as an ex military flyer) - but it could have had some worthwhile realistic plot other than I’m Tom cruise at 60 - hear me roar.
Post Reply