Anyone have any luck with new TSP login?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
SquawkIdent

Re: Anyone have any luck with new TSP login?

Post by SquawkIdent »

petulant wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:01 am
SquawkIdent wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:48 am
petulant wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:40 am
SquawkIdent wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:36 pm I called the Thriftline this afternoon to ask them a question about why a direct rollover into the TSP is taking so long to credit to my account.

It told me the wait time to speak to a rep was 57 minutes. This was all caused by members needing assistance getting their accounts set up online.

Great… :oops:
Did you ever figure it out? I am a bit concerned with how long my recent rollover in has taken.
I’m still trying.

They claimed they never got the first check and paperwork.

So, I placed a stop payment on the first check and started all over again. I’m now in the process of trying to find out what the status of the second attempt is. When you call the TSP, they can only give you very generic info. Yesterday however, they claimed they have received the second attempt and it’ll be credited to my account shortly.

1 1/2 months and still trying to get this done. This is ridiculous. Prior to the “upgrade” I had done this process twice and each time it was 2-3 weeks from start to finish.
That's terrifying. I did get a delivery confirmation on mine, so hopefully that means it won't get "lost."
Delivery confirmation is a great idea.

My rollover is a direct one from my previous custodian. I asked them to do the delivery confirmation and they balked at it. Maybe I should have pressed more but I’m doing a procedure to move money away from them, so I can only push so far… :sharebeer

Good luck with yours.
petulant

Post by petulant »

SquawkIdent wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:13 am
SquawkIdent wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:36 pm I called the Thriftline this afternoon to ask them a question about why a direct rollover into the TSP is taking so long to credit to my account.

It told me the wait time to speak to a rep was 57 minutes. This was all caused by members needing assistance getting their accounts set up online.

Did you ever figure it out? I am a bit concerned with how long my recent rollover in has taken.
I’m still trying.

So, I placed a stop payment on the first check and started all over again. I’m now in the process of trying to find out what the status of the second attempt is. When you call the TSP, they can only give you very generic info. Yesterday however, they claimed they have received the second attempt and it’ll be credited to my account shortly.

1 1/2 months and still trying to get this done. This is ridiculous. Prior to the “upgrade” I had done this process twice and each time it was 2-3 weeks from start to finish.
That's terrifying. I did get a delivery confirmation on mine, so hopefully that means it won't get "lost."

My rollover is a direct one from my previous custodian. I asked them to do the delivery confirmation and they balked at it. Maybe I should have pressed more but I’m doing a procedure to move money away from them, so I can only push so far… :sharebeer

Good luck with yours.
Thanks. I got a check made out to TSP fbo me from old employer so I controlled the TSP-60 and mailing. Still frustrated.
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

petulant wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:03 am

I’m still trying.

Good luck with yours.
Thanks. I got a check made out to TSP fbo me from old employer so I controlled the TSP-60 and mailing. Still frustrated.
That will be taken into consideration the next time I do this.
petulant

Post by petulant »

SquawkIdent wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:29 am
petulant wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:03 am

I’m still trying.

Good luck with yours.
That will be taken into consideration the next time I do this.
Except I'm out of the market and will lose thousands of dollars once the trip is complete.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Regarding logging into TSP, has anybody tried using a Google Voice number for 2FA? With several other financial accounts, I specify that the security code be sent as a text message to my GV number. It then gets sent to my gmail account set up under Google's Advanced Protection Program where it is turned into an email. Currently able to log in to TSP, but I'm using SMS (to my cell phone) for 2FA. I feel like it would be more secure using GV, but I'm afraid it will put a wrench in the works, and I'll get locked out or something.

I used the lockdown feature to help prevent money from being stolen from the account. That's a nice feature for someone like me that won't be taking any money out of TSP for a few years yet.
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

I’m still trying.

I am still trying to decide whether to transfer an old 401k from Fidelity to TSP. This kind of problem worries me. I think I am going to wait a while longer in hopes things improve (or at least, the wait times on the phone go down).
"Well, she was just seventeen, You Know What I Mean, and the way she looked... was way beyond compare."
nifty-thrifty

Post by nifty-thrifty »

You Know What I Mean wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:56 pm

I’m still trying.

I am still trying to decide whether to transfer an old 401k from Fidelity to TSP. This kind of problem worries me. I think I am going to wait a while longer in hopes things improve (or at least, the wait times on the phone go down).

I just tried to login got error message "access denied". I already went through the vetting process several weeks ago and everything was ok. Anyone else having issues ?
OrderAndChaos

Post by OrderAndChaos »

StewedCarrot wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:59 pm
OrderAndChaos wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:17 pm
OrderAndChaos wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:55 am I just sat on hold for 2 hours 15 minutes. :annoyed In hopes that my pain can lead to some good...

For those looking for previous account statements, you can request them by calling the Thriftline 800-number. After account verification, they will submit a request to have them mailed or sent to your account electronically...whichever your preference is set to.

You can also submit the request via email, via the Thriftline email address.

I'll report back if/when they are delivered.
After another three calls and well over an hour on the phone with TSP, the answer is pretty much "Nope. We don't care."

The agent in the "Form Statement Department" that I was finally transferred to today took my information and said she would submit a request to have the statements added to my account. She then asked me why I needed them, as the agents are being asked to document the reason. I (perhaps slightly unprofessionally) said that because I expected a financial institution with hundreds of billions of dollars under management to be able to provide quarterly statements detailing the transactions within my retirement account.

She said that she couldn't give me an estimate as to when I would receive a response. I then mentioned I had made the same request on 5 July. She looked at that entry in their system and said that it had been closed out on 12 July with a note that said something to the effect of "participant statements prior to May 26 2022 are not available." Despite this request being closed for over two weeks, I was not notified.

Having spent 26 years in government service, I should have known that rule #1 of a system "upgrade" is to backup all your data yourself.

:annoyed
I asked the CSR about past statements as well and was told they will only be provided to support "legal proceedings".

Wonder if divorcing from the TSP is a legal proceeding...
I suppose I'm just masochistic at this point. I called back and asked for a status on the request I had submitted a week ago. The note on that now-closed request was this: "Alight Operations does not have access to statements dated before the conversion (May 26 2022)."

I was then told that statements weren't available "yet". I asked her if I was understanding her correctly...that the statements would be made available at some point. She said they would be, but couldn't give me an answer as to when.

She further stated that she could view my statements, but couldn't send them out. I asked her to humor me and open my Jan-Mar 2022 quarterly statement and give me the traditional and Roth balances on 1 January and 31 March. They matched what I have been able to piece together, so I trust that the statements have been preserved, but are (for some technical reason beyond my comprehension) not easily able to be sent out or loaded into individual accounts.

So, while I feel a bit more confident that my data wasn't erased, and that it is somewhere, I am still less than optimistic that I will ever see it.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

I recently received paper statements from TSP. One covered 4/1-5/26 and was in the prior format. The other covered 5/26-6/30 and was in a different format.

The ending balances from the former matches beginning balance from the latter. The number of shares went from 4 decimal places to 3 decimal places.

I found some of these record keeping issues when the record keeper for our 529 changed. Hard to get old records from the new record keeper, since the old record keeper had little incentive to help.
tj

Post by tj »

rkhusky wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:57 pm I recently received paper statements from TSP. One covered 4/1-5/26 and was in the prior format. The other covered 5/26-6/30 and was in a different format.

The ending balances from the former matches beginning balance from the latter. The number of shares went from 4 decimal places to 3 decimal places.

I found some of these record keeping issues when the record keeper for our 529 changed. Hard to get old records from the new record keeper, since the old record keeper had little incentive to help.
The old recordkeeper is the government. Their incentive is pleasing Congress/constituents.
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

I’m still trying.

Trust me, this has been a nightmare. “Upgrade” you’ve got to be joking.

My only hope is there will be a congressional investigation in all of this.
Bammerman

Post by Bammerman »

workingfornow wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:03 pm Has anyone tried to fill out the beneficiary form on-line?
My beneficiary information also did not transfer over. I was able to re-enter the information online quite easily and my neighbor "witnessed" this via email in a matter of moments. That was yesterday; today the new beneficiary information is confirmed. BUT, this was a simple matter with spouse/children, not with trusts, etc.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Bammerman wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:18 pmMy beneficiary information also did not transfer over. I was able to re-enter the information online quite easily and my neighbor "witnessed" this via email in a matter of moments. That was yesterday; today the new beneficiary information is confirmed. BUT, this was a simple matter with spouse/children, not with trusts, etc.
My beneficiary shows up (spouse) but contingent ones aren't shown. Does this mean I have to re-enter all those?

EDIT: Answer is that supposedly they still have the paper form somewhere, but who knows if they would be able to successfully dredge it out of the vault if the account holder dies. If I update it on the website, then the witness gets a docusign email, after which they get a copy of the form they supposedly witnessed you sign. The witness can't be a beneficiary. Can you imagine if you submitted a paper tax return and the IRS told you that all they had was the 1040 form in their system and you needed you get on their website and type in all the Schedules or you could just hope that when they go to process the 1040 form they would stop and find the rest of your return? :(
Last edited by TimeRunner on Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
sketchy9

Post by sketchy9 »

SquawkIdent wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:29 pm

I’m still trying.

Trust me, this has been a nightmare. “Upgrade” you’ve got to be joking.

My only hope is there will be a congressional investigation in all of this.
I find it ridiculous that literally no transactions prior to May 26th are available, either via a web view or downloadable statements. Thank god I keep track on my own. I know that government IT is often maligned but the old TSP worked. It may not have looked pretty but it had it where it counts (to paraphrase Han Solo). This new site is a disaster. Someone, or several someones, really should lose their job over this.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

I posted above that my beneficiary information disappeared during the changeover. Today I received an email from the TSP that reads, in part:

"You’re receiving this notice because we are unable to display your beneficiary information in the new My Account section of the TSP website. We want to reassure you that we still have any Designation of Beneficiary form that you submitted in the past....If you would like to see your beneficiary information in the new My Account section of the TSP website, you will need to resubmit your beneficiary designation."

So...they have it, they can't show it to me, and if I want to see it I have to send it again? What kind of nonsense is that?
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

FedGuy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:21 pm I posted above that my beneficiary information disappeared during the changeover. Today I received an email from the TSP that reads, in part:

"You’re receiving this notice because we are unable to display your beneficiary information in the new My Account section of the TSP website. We want to reassure you that we still have any Designation of Beneficiary form that you submitted in the past....If you would like to see your beneficiary information in the new My Account section of the TSP website, you will need to resubmit your beneficiary designation."

So...they have it, they can't show it to me, and if I want to see it I have to send it again? What kind of nonsense is that?
They are one more strike away from me moving the whole thing to Vanguard. G Fund or not…this nonsense is not worth the aggravation.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

sketchy9 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:23 pm Someone, or several someones, really should lose their job over this.
I doubt any government employees will lose their jobs. And the government can't fire contractor employees. But I wonder if Accenture got or will get their 3-year option contract. https://www.frtib.gov/pdf/reading-room/ ... _FINAL.pdf

It must be interesting sitting in on the government-contractor meetings, since all the government employees involved can see firsthand how the new TSP is working.

It will also be interesting to see the June meeting minutes from the FRTIB, which was the first after the switchover:
https://www.frtib.gov/meeting-minutes/
OrderAndChaos

Post by OrderAndChaos »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:17 pm Regarding logging into TSP, has anybody tried using a Google Voice number for 2FA? With several other financial accounts, I specify that the security code be sent as a text message to my GV number. It then gets sent to my gmail account set up under Google's Advanced Protection Program where it is turned into an email. Currently able to log in to TSP, but I'm using SMS (to my cell phone) for 2FA. I feel like it would be more secure using GV, but I'm afraid it will put a wrench in the works, and I'll get locked out or something.

I used the lockdown feature to help prevent money from being stolen from the account. That's a nice feature for someone like me that won't be taking any money out of TSP for a few years yet.
I use a GV number for my 2FA and haven't had any issues...with that, at least.
SeaDog

Post by SeaDog »

The Government can terminate the contract for convenience or for default. It mostly depends upon whose fault this fiasco is. What is certain is that whoever wrote this contract had never bought this type of product before. How this updated platform ever went live defies any reasonable explanation. They should have hired Amazon or Google, someone that has successfully developed a large scale software interface before. But that isn't how Federal source selection works.
OrderAndChaos

Post by OrderAndChaos »

rkhusky wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:40 am
sketchy9 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:23 pm Someone, or several someones, really should lose their job over this.
I doubt any government employees will lose their jobs. And the government can't fire contractor employees. But I wonder if Accenture got or will get their 3-year option contract. https://www.frtib.gov/pdf/reading-room/ ... _FINAL.pdf

It must be interesting sitting in on the government-contractor meetings, since all the government employees involved can see firsthand how the new TSP is working.

It will also be interesting to see the June meeting minutes from the FRTIB, which was the first after the switchover:
https://www.frtib.gov/meeting-minutes/
I had the same thoughts about Accenture.

Thanks for the minutes link. I agree that they will be interesting to see. The May 24th minutes are the most recent to be posted (signed on July 20th). It is interesting to read minutes from a meeting just before the debacle with lines like "Member Jasien and Acting Chairperson Jones
congratulated the [transition] team on its success."

The minutes page does note that "Board meetings, which can be observed by the public, are generally held the 4th Tuesday of each month" Can I just stroll up to their office in DC on August 23rd and sit in the back row?
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

OrderAndChaos wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:16 am The minutes page does note that "Board meetings, which can be observed by the public, are generally held the 4th Tuesday of each month" Can I just stroll up to their office in DC on August 23rd and sit in the back row?
Probably remotely:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ThriftSavingsP ... _schedule/

There is a Boglehead poster (MichDad) that regularly listens in.
See also: viewtopic.php?p=6700629#p6700629
USAFperio

Post by USAFperio »

I'm not sure about everyone else, but my TSP has been updating successfully in Personal Capital for about a week now. Looks like the TSP-to-PC issue is repaired for now.
petulant

Post by petulant »

I’m still trying.

Hi You Know What I Mean! An update. Previously I mailed my rollover check made out to TSP fbo me with all correct forms and overnight delivery on July 27. The funds finally appeared in my account today. I count 12 business days since delivery. During that time period, the S&P 500 increased by over 5%. TSP couldn't even follow my instructions to deposit the money in the C Fund; they put it in the G Fund instead. The only suggestion I would make is that if you do it, you could target bond holdings for being in limbo during the rollover--i.e., if you have a 50/50 allocation and 25% of your money is in the old 401(k), count the 401(k) rollover as part of your bond holdings and put stocks elsewhere first. Missing 3-4% interest for a few weeks probably wouldn't hurt as much.
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

petulant wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:13 am

I’m still trying.

Hi You Know What I Mean! An update. Previously I mailed my rollover check made out to TSP fbo me with all correct forms and overnight delivery on July 27. The funds finally appeared in my account today. I count 12 business days since delivery. During that time period, the S&P 500 increased by over 5%. TSP couldn't even follow my instructions to deposit the money in the C Fund; they put it in the G Fund instead. The only suggestion I would make is that if you do it, you could target bond holdings for being in limbo during the rollover--i.e., if you have a 50/50 allocation and 25% of your money is in the old 401(k), count the 401(k) rollover as part of your bond holdings and put stocks elsewhere first. Missing 3-4% interest for a few weeks probably wouldn't hurt as much.
Hi, Petulant. Great to hear from you! Thanks for the good advice. As it happens, my direct transfer will be fixed income only: from the Stable-Value Fund in the 401k to the G Fund in the TSP. (We have a relatively large "Cash & Stable-Value" allocation in our long-term portfolio.)

So, my transition period will have relatively minor impact, as you indicated. I'm sorry to hear that the delay in your transfer happened the way it did. I've always been concerned about things like that in the few times I've transferred between accounts. I don't like to be out of the market.

Coincidentally, just yesterday I started the process. For anyone who's interested, here are a few details so far. I started to do the transfer form online, but got an error message that said, "Some information that usually appears here is currently unavailable."

So, I called TSP. After going through the long menu process, I was quickly transferred to someone in the rollover section. He sounded new, but was helpful. He put me on brief holds several times while getting answers to my questions. When I asked the quickest way to do the transfer, his answer was that he would email a form to me to fill out and email back.

That wasn't quite what happened. His email didn't include an actual form. It was just a notice that there was an important message in my secure mailbox at TSP. That secure message included the (10-page) form. I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to fill out that form and scan it, etc., or try the online form again. Either way, I need to get a check from the 401k custodian, Fidelity Netbenefits.

I then called Fidelity. As expected, they were familiar with the process and quickly responded to my request. Good service. I asked for the check to sent to me by regular mail (rather than paying for two-day delivery). Since that call took place shortly after the markets closed yesterday, the check amount will be based on yesterday's close (just a few dollars in interest per day) and probably mailed today. I expect the check sometime next week.

After I receive the check, I will probably upload a scanned copy and the other required documentation (rather than mailing it). I asked the TSP rep how long it would take for the funds to appear in my account after they received the check. He said two or three business days. We'll see.

Good luck to all! I try not to sound too negative, though I repeat my disappointment with the bad new TSP website.
"Well, she was just seventeen, You Know What I Mean, and the way she looked... was way beyond compare."