Treasury Direct OTP not being sent?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
HenryPorter

Treasury Direct OTP not being sent?

Post by HenryPorter »

As of last night, TD has not been sending me a one-time passcode when I try to log in. Great. I have been adding I bonds since last summer. Hope this is not a hassle like TD has been to others.
7eight9

Re: Treasury Direct OTP not being sent?

Post by 7eight9 »

HenryPorter wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:50 am As of last night, TD has not been sending me a one-time passcode when I try to log in. Great. I have been adding I bonds since last summer. Hope this is not a hassle like TD has been to others.
I bought I Bonds on Sunday with no problem. Maybe check your spam folder (if you haven't already).
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Topic Author
HenryPorter

Post by HenryPorter »

7eight9 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:51 am

I bought I Bonds on Sunday with no problem. Maybe check your spam folder (if you haven't already).
I checked that and the blocked sender list ( just in case). I have gotten the OTP many times before.

EDIT: This is weird. I looked at an OTP they sent the other day that has not expired yet. It worked letting me in to my account. I thought they generated a new OTP each time you try to log in. Anyway, I overlooked the box you can click that will keep your computer registered. I will click that.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

HenryPorter wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:05 am Anyway, I overlooked the box you can click that will keep your computer registered. I will click that.
Registering your device does not make a bit of difference. I have done that many times, but it sent me a code every time. I think their system has problems with “remembering.”

Just go with the flow if you want to invest in I bonds.
Gaston

Post by Gaston »

HenryPorter wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:05 am I looked at an OTP they sent the other day that has not expired yet. It worked letting me in to my account. I thought they generated a new OTP each time you try to log in.
You’ve just led me to downgrade my already low opinion of TD’s security protocols. Argh.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

Gaston wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:07 am
HenryPorter wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:05 am I looked at an OTP they sent the other day that has not expired yet. It worked letting me in to my account. I thought they generated a new OTP each time you try to log in.
You’ve just led me to downgrade my already low opinion of TD’s security protocols. Argh.
They're good for 24 hours. It says so right in the email, well indirectly, because it lists the expiration time, which is 24 hours after the send date.
kidney-doc

Post by kidney-doc »

We had the opposite issue!!
Last night, Wife and I were sent OTP by treasurydirect without us requesting it. I just logged in - no new activity on the account - but wondering if this was a system glitch or someone else tried to log in?
Anyone else had this happen?
JIMX7

Post by JIMX7 »

Have to use them for I Bonds.
Totally forgot I can buy all others on Vanguard, auction and secondary market. Now I have over $100,000 in Tbills and TIPS some of which do not mature for 5 years. Just will be a PIA to transfer them out. So now TD for I Bonds and Vanguard for all other. Lesson learned the hard way for sure
Also sometimes i am lazy putting in my password and have missed twice, then I will come back in a day because of the dreaded 3 strikes and a frigging nightmare.
Topic Author
HenryPorter

Post by HenryPorter »

kidney-doc wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:15 am We had the opposite issue!!
Last night, Wife and I were sent OTP by treasurydirect without us requesting it. I just logged in - no new activity on the account - but wondering if this was a system glitch or someone else tried to log in?
TD was down last night when I tried to log in. Some issues could be on my end on the other hand. I registered my computer with TD and it has let me log in with just my password. Last night I had to have an OTP sent. It did not send it, so I had to click on the resend button and then I got the OTP. The site is buggy and every time I log out I give it a POOR rating. I don't need bells and whistles as much as I need security and ease of use. I am chiefly buying I bonds on the site while the inflation rate(s) stay better than treasuries and money market. Have not gotten close to the $10,000 limit yet for 2022.
kidney-doc

Post by kidney-doc »

HenryPorter wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:04 pm
kidney-doc wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:15 am We had the opposite issue!!
TD was down last night when I tried to log in. Some issues could be on my end on the other hand. I registered my computer with TD and it has let me log in with just my password. Last night I had to have an OTP sent. It did not send it, so I had to click on the resend button and then I got the OTP. The site is buggy and every time I log out I give it a POOR rating. I don't need bells and whistles as much as I need security and ease of use. I am chiefly buying I bonds on the site while the inflation rate(s) stay better than treasuries and money market. Have not gotten close to the $10,000 limit yet for 2022.
I finally figured out what happened - Fidelity full view tried to connect to TD and generated those OTPs.