Vanguard Mutual Funds at Fidelity: Anyone Get a Fee Waiver?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Post Reply
Topic Author
Kookaburra
Posts: 1204
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:14 pm

Vanguard Mutual Funds at Fidelity: Anyone Get a Fee Waiver?

Post by Kookaburra »

I have a few Vanguard mutual funds that don’t have an ETF equivalent. If I were to transfer these funds to Fidelity, they would normally incur transaction fees. I would like a fee waiver that would allow me to hold, re-invest dividends, and eventually sell them without any transaction fees. Can anyone attest through personal experience whether Fidelity offers this, perhaps as an exception to the norm or on a case-by-case basis? I have a call into their customer service team to find out, but I wanted to find out here if others have been able to get this.
nalor511
Posts: 2725
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Vanguard Mutual Funds at Fidelity: Anyone Get a Fee Waiver?

Post by nalor511 »

You can reinvest dividends (automatically) of VG admiral funds at Fidelity with no fees. You can hold with no fee. You can sell with no fees. You cannot buy without $75 fee. No fee waivers.
starboi
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:33 am

Re: Vanguard Mutual Funds at Fidelity: Anyone Get a Fee Waiver?

Post by starboi »

Kookaburra wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:43 pm I have a few Vanguard mutual funds that don’t have an ETF equivalent. If I were to transfer these funds to Fidelity, they would normally incur transaction fees. I would like a fee waiver that would allow me to hold, re-invest dividends, and eventually sell them without any transaction fees. Can anyone attest through personal experience whether Fidelity offers this, perhaps as an exception to the norm or on a case-by-case basis? I have a call into their customer service team to find out, but I wanted to find out here if others have been able to get this.
Per Fidelity: You will only be charged a transaction fee when you buy a FundsNetwork TF fund, not when you sell one.
User avatar
anon_investor
Posts: 12367
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:43 pm

Re: Vanguard Mutual Funds at Fidelity: Anyone Get a Fee Waiver?

Post by anon_investor »

nalor511 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:45 pm You can reinvest dividends (automatically) of VG admiral funds at Fidelity with no fees. You can hold with no fee. You can sell with no fees. You cannot buy without $75 fee. No fee waivers.
+1. No fee waiver needed if not making new purchase, and no fees for automatic dividend reinvestment.
mkc
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: Vanguard Mutual Funds at Fidelity: Anyone Get a Fee Waiver?

Post by mkc »

anon_investor wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:38 pm
nalor511 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:45 pm You can reinvest dividends (automatically) of VG admiral funds at Fidelity with no fees. You can hold with no fee. You can sell with no fees. You cannot buy without $75 fee. No fee waivers.
+1. No fee waiver needed if not making new purchase, and no fees for automatic dividend reinvestment.
But OP should check with Fidelity to make sure the Admiral share class can be held there. We have a couple of funds in Admiral shares and did not see them when doing "mutual fund research" on the Fidelity website (Wellington, Wellesley). When I inquired, I was told that if the admiral fund ticker didn't show up in that search, it couldn't be held at Fidelity, even if transferred in. That was over a year ago, so it would be wise to get an up-to-date answer.
UpperNwGuy
Posts: 8195
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Re: Vanguard Mutual Funds at Fidelity: Anyone Get a Fee Waiver?

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Kookaburra wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:43 pm I have a few Vanguard mutual funds that don’t have an ETF equivalent. If I were to transfer these funds to Fidelity, they would normally incur transaction fees. I would like a fee waiver that would allow me to hold, re-invest dividends, and eventually sell them without any transaction fees. Can anyone attest through personal experience whether Fidelity offers this, perhaps as an exception to the norm or on a case-by-case basis? I have a call into their customer service team to find out, but I wanted to find out here if others have been able to get this.
I think you can do the activities you listed at Fidelity without fees, but you won't be able to buy additional shares without paying a fee. Fidelity won't grant fee waivers for purchases of new shares. Schwab, however, will often do that. YMMV.
Topic Author
Kookaburra
Posts: 1204
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:14 pm

Re: Vanguard Mutual Funds at Fidelity: Anyone Get a Fee Waiver?

Post by Kookaburra »

mkc wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:46 pm
anon_investor wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:38 pm
nalor511 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:45 pm You can reinvest dividends (automatically) of VG admiral funds at Fidelity with no fees. You can hold with no fee. You can sell with no fees. You cannot buy without $75 fee. No fee waivers.
+1. No fee waiver needed if not making new purchase, and no fees for automatic dividend reinvestment.
But OP should check with Fidelity to make sure the Admiral share class can be held there. We have a couple of funds in Admiral shares and did not see them when doing "mutual fund research" on the Fidelity website (Wellington, Wellesley). When I inquired, I was told that if the admiral fund ticker didn't show up in that search, it couldn't be held at Fidelity, even if transferred in. That was over a year ago, so it would be wise to get an up-to-date answer.
Thanks for the tip. Where exactly is the “mutual fund research” that you are referring to? Is it just the search bar on their website in which you can enter a ticker? If all of my admiral funds show up there, does it mean that they can be held at Fidelity?
PersonalFinanceJam
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:32 am

Re: Vanguard Mutual Funds at Fidelity: Anyone Get a Fee Waiver?

Post by PersonalFinanceJam »

Kookaburra wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:00 pm
mkc wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:46 pm
anon_investor wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:38 pm
nalor511 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:45 pm You can reinvest dividends (automatically) of VG admiral funds at Fidelity with no fees. You can hold with no fee. You can sell with no fees. You cannot buy without $75 fee. No fee waivers.
+1. No fee waiver needed if not making new purchase, and no fees for automatic dividend reinvestment.
But OP should check with Fidelity to make sure the Admiral share class can be held there. We have a couple of funds in Admiral shares and did not see them when doing "mutual fund research" on the Fidelity website (Wellington, Wellesley). When I inquired, I was told that if the admiral fund ticker didn't show up in that search, it couldn't be held at Fidelity, even if transferred in. That was over a year ago, so it would be wise to get an up-to-date answer.
Thanks for the tip. Where exactly is the “mutual fund research” that you are referring to? Is it just the search bar on their website in which you can enter a ticker? If all of my admiral funds show up there, does it mean that they can be held at Fidelity?
Yes. When you put in the ticker to the search, you should get a detailed page with information. Here is the page for the Vanguard Total Sock Market Admiral shares which can b held at Fidelity. I hold it at Fidelity currently but don't add to it.
https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutua ... /922908728

Contrast that with what you get with Wellington Admiral:
https://quotes.fidelity.com/webxpress/i ... =sq-NavBar

If you click research on that resulting page for Wellington, you get a message that the fund either doesn't exist or can't be used on Fidelity.com
User avatar
anon_investor
Posts: 12367
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:43 pm

Re: Vanguard Mutual Funds at Fidelity: Anyone Get a Fee Waiver?

Post by anon_investor »

Kookaburra wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:00 pm
mkc wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:46 pm
anon_investor wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:38 pm
nalor511 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:45 pm You can reinvest dividends (automatically) of VG admiral funds at Fidelity with no fees. You can hold with no fee. You can sell with no fees. You cannot buy without $75 fee. No fee waivers.
+1. No fee waiver needed if not making new purchase, and no fees for automatic dividend reinvestment.
But OP should check with Fidelity to make sure the Admiral share class can be held there. We have a couple of funds in Admiral shares and did not see them when doing "mutual fund research" on the Fidelity website (Wellington, Wellesley). When I inquired, I was told that if the admiral fund ticker didn't show up in that search, it couldn't be held at Fidelity, even if transferred in. That was over a year ago, so it would be wise to get an up-to-date answer.
Thanks for the tip. Where exactly is the “mutual fund research” that you are referring to? Is it just the search bar on their website in which you can enter a ticker? If all of my admiral funds show up there, does it mean that they can be held at Fidelity?
You should ask Fidelity about the specific funds.
jfave33
Posts: 3245
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Vanguard Mutual Funds at Fidelity: Anyone Get a Fee Waiver?

Post by jfave33 »

A little trick - you can buy using auto investment for $5 to avoid the $75 fee as well. Turn off the auto investment when you've bought what you want. Nice for the odd time or once a year.
User avatar
zincTwo
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:31 pm
Location: California

Re: Vanguard Mutual Funds at Fidelity: Anyone Get a Fee Waiver?

Post by zincTwo »

In my Fidelity 401k, with automatic investment of my payroll contributions (via BrokerageLink), I am not charged a fee for the recurring auto-invest purchases. I only got charged on the initial investment, and it was so small, I consider it noise in the overall portfolio allocation.
ee_guy
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:28 pm

Re: Vanguard Mutual Funds at Fidelity: Anyone Get a Fee Waiver?

Post by ee_guy »

PersonalFinanceJam wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:23 pm
Kookaburra wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:00 pm Thanks for the tip. Where exactly is the “mutual fund research” that you are referring to? Is it just the search bar on their website in which you can enter a ticker? If all of my admiral funds show up there, does it mean that they can be held at Fidelity?
Yes. When you put in the ticker to the search, you should get a detailed page with information. Here is the page for the Vanguard Total Sock Market Admiral shares which can b held at Fidelity. I hold it at Fidelity currently but don't add to it.
https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutua ... /922908728

Contrast that with what you get with Wellington Admiral:
https://quotes.fidelity.com/webxpress/i ... =sq-NavBar

If you click research on that resulting page for Wellington, you get a message that the fund either doesn't exist or can't be used on Fidelity.com
The links are live but it doesn't show what Vanguard funds Fidelity will accept. Both the Wellington Admiral and Wellesly Admiral shares can be transferred to Fidelity. Same for Primecap Admiral shares. I was at Fidelity and was shown the internal website that lists the acceptable funds.
mkc
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: Vanguard Mutual Funds at Fidelity: Anyone Get a Fee Waiver?

Post by mkc »

ee_guy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:00 pm
PersonalFinanceJam wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:23 pm
Kookaburra wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:00 pm Thanks for the tip. Where exactly is the “mutual fund research” that you are referring to? Is it just the search bar on their website in which you can enter a ticker? If all of my admiral funds show up there, does it mean that they can be held at Fidelity?
Yes. When you put in the ticker to the search, you should get a detailed page with information. Here is the page for the Vanguard Total Sock Market Admiral shares which can b held at Fidelity. I hold it at Fidelity currently but don't add to it.
https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutua ... /922908728

Contrast that with what you get with Wellington Admiral:
https://quotes.fidelity.com/webxpress/i ... =sq-NavBar

If you click research on that resulting page for Wellington, you get a message that the fund either doesn't exist or can't be used on Fidelity.com
The links are live but it doesn't show what Vanguard funds Fidelity will accept. Both the Wellington Admiral and Wellesly Admiral shares can be transferred to Fidelity. Same for Primecap Admiral shares. I was at Fidelity and was shown the internal website that lists the acceptable funds.
I was told by Fidelity within the past year that if a fund did not show up in the research tool (e.g. VWENX, VWIAX, and a T.Rowe Price fund I'd asked about), they could not be transferred in-kind or held to Fidelity. This was a specific inquiry about transferring assets to them.
ee_guy
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:28 pm

Re: Vanguard Mutual Funds at Fidelity: Anyone Get a Fee Waiver?

Post by ee_guy »

mkc wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:09 pm I was told by Fidelity within the past year that if a fund did not show up in the research tool (e.g. VWENX, VWIAX, and a T.Rowe Price fund I'd asked about), they could not be transferred in-kind or held to Fidelity. This was a specific inquiry about transferring assets to them.
I am sure you heard correctly. Either the policy was changed or the Fidelity rep gave an incorrect answer. At Fidelity, I also saw the transfer bonus being offered. It is basically $1000/million transferred.
Last edited by ee_guy on Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mkc
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: Vanguard Mutual Funds at Fidelity: Anyone Get a Fee Waiver?

Post by mkc »

ee_guy wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:53 am
mkc wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:09 pm I was told by Fidelity within the past year that if a fund did not show up in the research tool (e.g. VWENX, VWIAX, and a T.Rowe Price fund I'd asked about), they could not be transferred in-kind or held to Fidelity. This was a specific inquiry about transferring assets to them.
I as sure you heard correctly. Either the policy was changed or the Fidelity rep gave an incorrect answer. At Fidelity, I also saw the transfer bonus being offered. It is basically $1000/million transferred.
I asked the question on Fidelity's Reddit. Here is their official response:

"FidelityJason
MOD
Stickied comment
Community Care Representative

TRMCX, VWIAX and VWENX are generally not available for retail investors and are only available through certain business segments. If a fund is no longer available for retail investors on our platform, the research tool will not be available. If you have a relationship with Fidelity outside of strictly retail accounts, you may have access to purchase this security. In order to check your eligibility to trade these particular mutual funds, please contact us by phone."
iamblessed
Posts: 1692
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:52 am
Location: St. Louis

Re: Vanguard Mutual Funds at Fidelity: Anyone Get a Fee Waiver?

Post by iamblessed »

jfave33 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:19 am A little trick - you can buy using auto investment for $5 to avoid the $75 fee as well. Turn off the auto investment when you've bought what you want. Nice for the odd time or once a year.
Can it all be done online?
bondsr4me
Posts: 2058
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:08 am

Re: Vanguard Mutual Funds at Fidelity: Anyone Get a Fee Waiver?

Post by bondsr4me »

Kookaburra wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:43 pm I have a few Vanguard mutual funds that don’t have an ETF equivalent. If I were to transfer these funds to Fidelity, they would normally incur transaction fees. I would like a fee waiver that would allow me to hold, re-invest dividends, and eventually sell them without any transaction fees. Can anyone attest through personal experience whether Fidelity offers this, perhaps as an exception to the norm or on a case-by-case basis? I have a call into their customer service team to find out, but I wanted to find out here if others have been able to get this.
below is a 6/15/22 message response I received from Fidelity:

Fidelity can accept and hold the Vanguard Wellesley fund (VWINX) for you and there will be no fee to sell this fund; however, there is a transaction fee of $75 for regular purchases and a transaction fee of $5 for each dividend reinvestment.

Note…this is for Investor Class shares.
jfave33
Posts: 3245
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Vanguard Mutual Funds at Fidelity: Anyone Get a Fee Waiver?

Post by jfave33 »

iamblessed wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:44 am
jfave33 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:19 am A little trick - you can buy using auto investment for $5 to avoid the $75 fee as well. Turn off the auto investment when you've bought what you want. Nice for the odd time or once a year.
Can it all be done online?
yes
User avatar
jeffyscott
Posts: 11285
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:12 am

Re: Vanguard Mutual Funds at Fidelity: Anyone Get a Fee Waiver?

Post by jeffyscott »

mkc wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:24 am
ee_guy wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:53 am
mkc wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:09 pm I was told by Fidelity within the past year that if a fund did not show up in the research tool (e.g. VWENX, VWIAX, and a T.Rowe Price fund I'd asked about), they could not be transferred in-kind or held to Fidelity. This was a specific inquiry about transferring assets to them.
I as sure you heard correctly. Either the policy was changed or the Fidelity rep gave an incorrect answer. At Fidelity, I also saw the transfer bonus being offered. It is basically $1000/million transferred.
I asked the question on Fidelity's Reddit. Here is their official response:

"FidelityJason
MOD
Stickied comment
Community Care Representative

TRMCX, VWIAX and VWENX are generally not available for retail investors and are only available through certain business segments. If a fund is no longer available for retail investors on our platform, the research tool will not be available. If you have a relationship with Fidelity outside of strictly retail accounts, you may have access to purchase this security. In order to check your eligibility to trade these particular mutual funds, please contact us by phone."
That comment doesn't actually address transferring assets in. It is talking about eligibility to buy or trade. If "certain business segments" can trade these funds on Fidelity, then that would imply that they can be held there and if they can be held there, then most likely anyone can transfer in. Assuming they can be transferred in, selling shares would be possible but not buying more.

Your question there was, apparently:
I've noticed some funds which I used to be able to research/compare in the Mutual Fund tool at Fidelity are no longer coming up with results or entries...
not:
"Can I transfer ____ to Fidelity"
https://www.reddit.com/r/fidelityinvest ... evaluator/
The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions. ― John C. Bogle
mkc
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: Vanguard Mutual Funds at Fidelity: Anyone Get a Fee Waiver?

Post by mkc »

jeffyscott wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:00 am
mkc wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:24 am
ee_guy wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:53 am
mkc wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:09 pm I was told by Fidelity within the past year that if a fund did not show up in the research tool (e.g. VWENX, VWIAX, and a T.Rowe Price fund I'd asked about), they could not be transferred in-kind or held to Fidelity. This was a specific inquiry about transferring assets to them.
I as sure you heard correctly. Either the policy was changed or the Fidelity rep gave an incorrect answer. At Fidelity, I also saw the transfer bonus being offered. It is basically $1000/million transferred.
I asked the question on Fidelity's Reddit. Here is their official response:

"FidelityJason
MOD
Stickied comment
Community Care Representative

TRMCX, VWIAX and VWENX are generally not available for retail investors and are only available through certain business segments. If a fund is no longer available for retail investors on our platform, the research tool will not be available. If you have a relationship with Fidelity outside of strictly retail accounts, you may have access to purchase this security. In order to check your eligibility to trade these particular mutual funds, please contact us by phone."
That comment doesn't actually address transferring assets in. It is talking about eligibility to buy or trade. If "certain business segments" can trade these funds on Fidelity, then that would imply that they can be held there and if they can be held there, then most likely anyone can transfer in. Assuming they can be transferred in, selling shares would be possible but not buying more.
Around that same time I'd asked the specific question via our account messaging, but I couldn't find that response (which had said "no").

I just clarified via their Reddit and was pleasantly surprised to now be told (specifically asking about VWENX and VWIAX) that they can be transferred in.


[eta - fixed typo]
Last edited by mkc on Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
jeffyscott
Posts: 11285
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:12 am

Re: Vanguard Mutual Funds at Fidelity: Anyone Get a Fee Waiver?

Post by jeffyscott »

mkc wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:03 pm
jeffyscott wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:00 am
mkc wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:24 am
ee_guy wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:53 am
mkc wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:09 pm I was told by Fidelity within the past year that if a fund did not show up in the research tool (e.g. VWENX, VWIAX, and a T.Rowe Price fund I'd asked about), they could not be transferred in-kind or held to Fidelity. This was a specific inquiry about transferring assets to them.
I as sure you heard correctly. Either the policy was changed or the Fidelity rep gave an incorrect answer. At Fidelity, I also saw the transfer bonus being offered. It is basically $1000/million transferred.
I asked the question on Fidelity's Reddit. Here is their official response:

"FidelityJason
MOD
Stickied comment
Community Care Representative

TRMCX, VWIAX and VWENX are generally not available for retail investors and are only available through certain business segments. If a fund is no longer available for retail investors on our platform, the research tool will not be available. If you have a relationship with Fidelity outside of strictly retail accounts, you may have access to purchase this security. In order to check your eligibility to trade these particular mutual funds, please contact us by phone."
That comment doesn't actually address transferring assets in. It is talking about eligibility to buy or trade. If "certain business segments" can trade these funds on Fidelity, then that would imply that they can be held there and if they can be held there, then most likely anyone can transfer in. Assuming they can be transferred in, selling shares would be possible but not buying more.
Around that same time I'd asked the specific question via our account messaging, but I couldn't find that response (which had said "no").

I just clarified via their Reddit and was pleasantly surprised to now be told they (specifically asking about VWENX and VWIAX) that they can be transferred in.
:thumbsup

I actually happen to have just confirmed the same with Schwab for VWIAX and a couple other managed admiral funds. I wanted to be certain, since we're planning to transfer in soon.
The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions. ― John C. Bogle
Post Reply