Kindergarten with Before/After Care - DCFSA & 529

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
ShadowRegent

Kindergarten with Before/After Care - DCFSA & 529

Post by ShadowRegent »

We are sending my daughter to a Kindergarten program offered by her daycare this year since she doesn't meet the age cutoff for public Kindergarten and we'd need to send her to daycare anyway. I know that K doesn't qualify as Dependent Care, but is eligible for a 529. What's not clear to me is how a K program with before/after care is treated. We're going to be charged a single fee from the center and not a separate fee for the 2 programs.

My best guess is that the full amount is 529 eligible and none is dependent care eligible, but I wanted to see if anyone had better information or experience with this situation.

Thanks!
Flyer24

Re: Kindergarten with Before/After Care - DCFSA & 529

Post by Flyer24 »

I would not even use any of it since the day care does not split it into a tuition fee. I do not see the expense being 529 eligible since it is built into the day care program. It needs to be a tuition expense.
Topic Author
ShadowRegent

Post by ShadowRegent »

Interesting. It's a state accredited K program and all I know at this point is that they aren't splitting the charges out. When I asked about it, they more or less presented it as before/after care being included with Kindergarten tuition, but I also haven't gotten a bill yet to see exactly how they present it.

It would be disappointing, but not a big loss since I'd mostly be running it through a 529 to pick up a state tax deduction. The bigger loss is not being able to claim a portion as dependent care, but I expected that to be the case.
CAsage

Post by CAsage »

Really ignorant question - if the child is underage for the regular kindergarten, will she be too young for 1st grade next year? What do you foresee her age/maturity/focus/sports participation relative to her peers? Maybe just do daycare for another year if she's way too young or ????
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.
Topic Author
ShadowRegent

Post by ShadowRegent »

CAsage wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:00 pm Really ignorant question - if the child is underage for the regular kindergarten, will she be too young for 1st grade next year? What do you foresee her age/maturity/focus/sports participation relative to her peers? Maybe just do daycare for another year if she's way too young or ????
She’s a few days from the cutoff. She could attend 1st grade next year if she does this program. We planned to see how she did this year and make a choice. The Kindergarten program is at the same center and is slightly cheaper than their pre-K program, so we didn’t see much harm. Worst case she repeats Kindergarten in the public school.