Has Google flight tracker ever worked for you?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
coalcracker

Has Google flight tracker ever worked for you?

Post by coalcracker »

I'm looking at a flight near the end of October for which prices, according to Google (and my opinion), are currently high. As a reference, the same flights in mid-September are currently about 1/3 the price.

I added the October dates to tracked flights under my google account. I'm hopeful yet skeptical that I'll get a welcome alert in the next month or so.

Anyone had success using flight tracker to snag a lower fare?
bob60014

Re: Has Google flight tracker ever worked for you?

Post by bob60014 »

I've used it and it does work. But if you get a alert or see a low(er) fare jump on it immediately. Nowadays they're gone in a flash. Especially true for in demand locations.
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

Yes. I've had two occasions this year when the fare went lower. Given that most airlines are offering non-refundable flights to be 'refunded' with airline credit, I prefer to hedge my bets. For flights I'm going to take regardless, I go ahead and book at the current price. If the flight decreases, I cancel the old reservation and buy at the lower price. I've only done that once for a trip that was locked in regarding dates and I didn't want to chance the prices going even higher.
realclemsongrad

Post by realclemsongrad »

coalcracker wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:26 pm I'm looking at a flight near the end of October for which prices, according to Google (and my opinion), are currently high. As a reference, the same flights in mid-September are currently about 1/3 the price.

I added the October dates to tracked flights under my google account. I'm hopeful yet skeptical that I'll get a welcome alert in the next month or so.

Anyone had success using flight tracker to snag a lower fare?
It works really well. I have bunch of alerts, and you need to buy as soon as it comes out. On my recent international trip it saved me almost 700$ per ticket.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Yes it does work but primarily if you are searching many many months in advance. Also helps if you know the typical sale fare for the market.

For example, I know typical sale fare for Fall/Winter from NYC to Toronto should be $90-$120 one way. When I was looking for flights 3 months ago, the fare was $180 every single day from October to December. That tells me the $180 is not a sale fare and also that it was $180 not because the flights are full.

If flights were full then I should see different price points on certain dates between October to December; not $180 every single day during those months.

I set an alert and it detected when an airline put the market on sale (for 3 days). I was able to nab a fare for $105.

After I purchased, I continue to monitor in the event of further price drops.
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII »

Another option: buy a refundable fare as a ceiling and reprice OR cancel / repurchase (depending on airline's IT) as fares drop, assuming they drop some.

YMMV. I did this recently months out several times then bought a non refundable one week prior to trip once I was sure I needed the ticket.