Don't pay full price for SiriusXM radio

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hudson

Re: Don't pay full price for SiriusXM radio

Post by hudson »

uaeebs86 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:46 pm I just renewed for one year for $72.25. Had to call in, for some reason chat wasn't available on the website the day/time I needed to renew.

Besides listening in the car, I use the streaming service at my desk at work as well and on the app on my phone when walking or with portable speakers at home. Music/sports/news/podcasts etc.

It's hard to beat for $6.02 a month.
That's hard to beat. How did the phone conversation go?
uaeebs86

Post by uaeebs86 »

hudson wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:38 am
uaeebs86 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:46 pm I just renewed for one year for $72.25. Had to call in, for some reason chat wasn't available on the website the day/time I needed to renew.

Besides listening in the car, I use the streaming service at my desk at work as well and on the app on my phone when walking or with portable speakers at home. Music/sports/news/podcasts etc.

It's hard to beat for $6.02 a month.
That's hard to beat. How did the phone conversation go?
It wasn't that bad and actually fairly quick (I'm pretty sure the call center is staffed overseas, but the rep I spoke to was pretty easy to understand). I said I wouldn't renew at the high default rate ($26.70), and then she offered 6 months at that monthly rate and then I asked if I could have the same price for a longer time and she offered a year. I would have preferred chat but like I said it was down that day. I once called in to cancel my son's subscription and that took like 20-30 minutes - they never want to accept a cancellation.

Like others up thread, I use a virtual card to pay for SiriusXM in case I forget to call in and renew at the end of my term. I have it set low enough the auto renew charge won't go through.
"Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out." ― John Wooden
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

I just did a chat to renew my subscription this week. Just told them that I wanted the same price I had before. However, I did cancel one car since we don't drive it very often, and it wasn't worth it anymore. Interestingly, I was offered a monthly $4.99 rate on that car, but still declined. Not sure how long that rate would have lasted had I accepted it, but I assume not more than a year.

At one point during the early days of Covid, I think that they had the automated chat system offering the cheap price, but obviously not anymore. I tried to get MLB included, but was told that package would be $8.99/mo. I declined.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

MisterBill wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:08 am I just did a chat to renew my subscription this week. Just told them that I wanted the same price I had before. However, I did cancel one car since we don't drive it very often, and it wasn't worth it anymore. Interestingly, I was offered a monthly $4.99 rate on that car, but still declined. Not sure how long that rate would have lasted had I accepted it, but I assume not more than a year.

At one point during the early days of Covid, I think that they had the automated chat system offering the cheap price, but obviously not anymore. I tried to get MLB included, but was told that package would be $8.99/mo. I declined.
When my wife got the $72 rate she was told that MLB would be removed from our package. It's now been over a month and we still have MLB so don't assume it's gone.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:45 am When my wife got the $72 rate she was told that MLB would be removed from our package. It's now been over a month and we still have MLB so don't assume it's gone.
I already didn't have it. There are one or two stations that I get, but not all the stations in the 130-ish range, nor do I get alerted when a new game starts for my favorite team.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

MisterBill wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:57 pm
FrugalInvestor wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:45 am When my wife got the $72 rate she was told that MLB would be removed from our package. It's now been over a month and we still have MLB so don't assume it's gone.
I already didn't have it. There are one or two stations that I get, but not all the stations in the 130-ish range, nor do I get alerted when a new game starts for my favorite team.
We'll just count our lucky stars. 8-)
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Striker

Post by Striker »

I gave up Sirius once I downloaded the free Radio Garden app. Too many subscriptions that aren’t
needed.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

Striker wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:00 pm I gave up Sirius once I downloaded the free Radio Garden app. Too many subscriptions that aren’t needed.
That's a valid point, but for many of us, $6 a month makes it worth it. I tried using SiriusXM streaming on my new car after the initial free trial ran out (I still had a subscription on a different car). I got tired of the stream stopping (and not automatically restarting) when I hit a dead zone, which there were a surprising number with Verizon.
Last edited by MisterBill on Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
codoriti

Post by codoriti »

I always go over to https://www.reddit.com/r/siriusxm when it's time to renew to see what deals are available. So far every time when I have said that the standard price is too much for me but am OK paying "for x offer you currently have", and they have given it to me. I'm also OK with canceling as a last resort. Within a month the $6/month type offers are available from what people have said.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

As a general rule, don't pay full price for anything if you can find a way around it!
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

codoriti wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:26 pm I always go over to https://www.reddit.com/r/siriusxm when it's time to renew to see what deals are available. So far every time when I have said that the standard price is too much for me but am OK paying "for x offer you currently have", and they have given it to me. I'm also OK with canceling as a last resort. Within a month the $6/month type offers are available from what people have said.
And is there anything mentioned there that isn't discussed here?
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

The current best deals are usually listed on reddit.

This past renewal, there was a good new subscriber deal. For the $72 annual cost, it included a free upgrade to platinum and a free Echo Dot 4th gen. So I canceled the service. I was able to sign up online myself the next day and get the new subscriber deal. It took about 10 seconds to refresh the signal and restart the service.
ThreeDB

Post by ThreeDB »

I just renewed my SiriusXM subscription, which was set to rise from $5/mo. + fees to $23/mo. + fees on August 2nd. My experience was very similar to last year.

First, I was presented with a web page asking if I wanted to change or cancel my subscription. When I clicked on cancel, I was presented with a multiple choice question that asked me why I wanted to cancel. Upon answering “too expensive,” I was given a $13/mo. + fees offer.

After clicking cancel a second time, I was directed to a live agent on the online chat. The live agent offered me $9/mo. + fees promotion rate on a Platinum Plan, which I also declined.

Finally, the agent offered me my old $5/mo. + fees rate for the music and entertainment package, and I accepted. The total out-the-door price was $71.44.

My twelve-month subscription started immediately, even though I had about a week left on my old subscription. The lesson l learned is that if you negotiate a renewal rate with SiriusXM, you shouldn’t do it too early. You should do it as close to your expiration date as practical.
hudson

Post by hudson »

ThreeDB wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:00 pm Finally, the agent offered me my old $5/mo. + fees rate for the music and entertainment package, and I accepted. The total out-the-door price was $71.44.
Useful info...thanks! I'm renewing on Aug. 1.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

ThreeDB wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:00 pm IMy twelve-month subscription started immediately, even though I had about a week left on my old subscription. The lesson l learned is that if you negotiate a renewal rate with SiriusXM, you shouldn’t do it too early. You should do it as close to your expiration date as practical.
You should have received a credit for the remaining portion of your old subscription. I got credit for one day on my recent renewal. I guess I got lucky in getting the rep to immediately offer me the $60+fees rate. I find that you just need to be direct and tell them that you want the same deal as you had the last time, or you'll cancel.
beyou

Post by beyou »

bob60014 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:08 pm
catdude wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:21 pm
Doing this online is much easier than dealing with them over the phone. No need to wait on hold while their rep pretends to check with his supervisor...
+1, this. It's a piece of cake. I cancelled, re-upped @ $5.99 and got the free Echo Dot to boot, all online.
So is the 5.99 for "Platinum" or "Music and Entertainment" or "Music Showcase" there 3 plans ?
https://www.siriusxm.com/plans

Also one thing I find difficult to ascertain is what exactly from Pandora is included in the 2nd level "Music and Entertainment".
It says "Personalized Pandora Stations" is included on the premium Platinum package but I am not sure if I am using this in my free trial.
I sometimes I play artist specific Pandora stations, but wondering if that goes away when downgrading to the 2nd package.
I certainly am not customizing anything like personal stations, I just search for an artist and sometimes it says "plan Pandora station" on the app.
Just not sure if that is part of top or 2nd tier plan.
Hitchcock_Fan

Post by Hitchcock_Fan »

[/quote]
Also one thing I find difficult to ascertain is what exactly from Pandora is included in the 2nd level "Music and Entertainment".
It says "Personalized Pandora Stations" is included on the premium Platinum package but I am not sure if I am using this in my free trial.
I sometimes I play artist specific Pandora stations, but wondering if that goes away when downgrading to the 2nd package.
I certainly am not customizing anything like personal stations, I just search for an artist and sometimes it says "plan Pandora station" on the app.
[/quote]

I think it's part of the top tier plan. I recently renewed from Platinum to the 2nd level plan at something like $72/year and lost Pandora. I had to adjust my subscription back to Platinum at $107/year to get the personalized Pandora stations.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Hitchcock_Fan wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:09 pm
[/quote]

I think it's part of the top tier plan. I recently renewed from Platinum to the 2nd level plan at something like $72/year and lost Pandora. I had to adjust my subscription back to Platinum at $107/year to get the personalized Pandora stations.
[/quote]

What exactly is a personalized pandora station ?
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

SiriusXM and I had our anniversary a couple days ago. We do this every year... not on a specific date, but it's always in August. :)

My monthly rate was set to jump to $27 a month, so I used the online chat to cancel my subscription and commence negotiations. I don't hold out for the $5 rate cuz (as I think I've said before) there's a show on SXM that I really enjoy. I wound up accepting an offer of $8.99 a month + $1.92 for fees = $10.91 per month total. Not the cheapest rate going but a heckuva lot better than $27.
catdude | | Blame somebody else and get on with your life.
beyou

Post by beyou »

catdude wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:38 pm SiriusXM and I had our anniversary a couple days ago. We do this every year... not on a specific date, but it's always in August. :)

My monthly rate was set to jump to $27 a month, so I used the online chat to cancel my subscription and commence negotiations. I don't hold out for the $5 rate cuz (as I think I've said before) there's a show on SXM that I really enjoy. I wound up accepting an offer of $8.99 a month + $1.92 for fees = $10.91 per month total. Not the cheapest rate going but a heckuva lot better than $27.
You are getting their top package if full price was $27 (which I do not see on their site). I do not think anyone gets $5 for the top package, but rather the 2nd tier package. Everyone quotes rates here but there are 6 rate tiers/packages.

List is 23/mo with a car, 11/mo without car, for top package. So if you have top package in a car, good deal, if no car or lower package maybe not so good a deal.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

beyou wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:55 pm
catdude wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:38 pm SiriusXM and I had our anniversary a couple days ago. We do this every year... not on a specific date, but it's always in August. :)

You are getting their top package if full price was $27 (which I do not see on their site). I do not think anyone gets $5 for the top package, but rather the 2nd tier package. Everyone quotes rates here but there are 6 rate tiers/packages.

List is 23/mo with a car, 11/mo without car, for top package. So if you have top package in a car, good deal, if no car or lower package maybe not so good a deal.
I paid $60 annual plus $12 in taxes and fees in June. It was for the 2nd tier package but with an free upgrade to platinum, so in reality, the highest plan. And I got a free Echo Dot 4th gen.

This was a new subscriber offer. I canceled my Sirius service. Waited 48 hours then linked through the new subscriber promo offer. I used the same name and login. My experience is that Sirius allows you to qualify for new subscriber deals almost right away after cancelling. It does take a few seconds to send a refresh signal to the vehicle radio to start the service again.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Katietsu wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:28 am

I paid $60 annual plus $12 in taxes and fees in June. It was for the 2nd tier package but with an free upgrade to platinum, so in reality, the highest plan. And I got a free Echo Dot 4th gen.

This was a new subscriber offer. I canceled my Sirius service. Waited 48 hours then linked through the new subscriber promo offer. I used the same name and login. My experience is that Sirius allows you to qualify for new subscriber deals almost right away after cancelling. It does take a few seconds to send a refresh signal to the vehicle radio to start the service again.
Wow, did not realize they do the free upgrades.

I just got 3 months free (after canceling a long time ago).
Then they offered another 3 months platinum tier for $2, so $2 for 6 total months. I need to call/go online at the end. May cancel and subscribe in a few months as my use is mainly seasonal. I do more travel outside winter, where I would use in car more, and if using internet only, already have other options. I do like their streaming channels, but can take a break every so often when not using the in car radio.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

beyou wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:56 am
Katietsu wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:28 am

Wow, did not realize they do the free upgrades.

I just got 3 months free (after canceling a long time ago).
Then they offered another 3 months platinum tier for $2, so $2 for 6 total months. I need to call/go online at the end. May cancel and subscribe in a few months as my use is mainly seasonal. I do more travel outside winter, where I would use in car more, and if using internet only, already have other options. I do like their streaming channels, but can take a break every so often when not using the in car radio.
I do not think this is available all the time. This was a particularly good offer. This is the third time though that I have been able to get the highest tier for $5 +. Each time I had to qualify as a new subscriber. Beginning of summer and around Black Friday seem to be good times of year. Otherwise, $5 a month for the 2nd tier is a good deal.

Reddit is a good place to check in on for SiriusXM offers.