Productivity/career for DW

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
alwaysonit

Productivity/career for DW

Post by alwaysonit »

Her net worth is about 100k, mine 1.9m.

She has a strong work ethic (does not want to live off me) and is smart, but no specific qualifications that direct her towards what to do.

With a family potentially on the way, I wonder is there something relatively obvious that I could invest in, that would
1. Increase my expected returns
2. Require 10-40 hours work weekly?
Strayshot

Re: Productivity/career for DW

Post by Strayshot »

alwaysonit wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:24 am Her net worth is about 100k, mine 1.9m.

She has a strong work ethic (does not want to live off me) and is smart, but no specific qualifications that direct her towards what to do.

With a family potentially on the way, I wonder is there something relatively obvious that I could invest in, that would
How do you have different net worth if you are married? DW is “dear wife” right?

Reading this post makes me think the first and best investment you need to make is in some relationship counseling, so that gets my vote.

If your question is “my wife and I have a net worth of $2M and are looking at options she can pursue for work or education that can better our position prior to having a family” you might get more responses……..
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

She has to find out what she is interested in which is also profitable.

An analysis of her personality can shed a lot of light on that. There are occupational psychologists who know a lot about where different types of people work best. Many books on the subject too.
Topic Author
alwaysonit

Post by alwaysonit »

We are not married, I thought DW was the terminology used here for any serious parter.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

I’m not super clear on your question,

Do you want to invest in some “business” that employs her for 10-40 hours a week that also yields higher returns for your capital than some benchmark (like the S&P 500?)?
35% VTI, 25% AVUV, 15% IXUS, 15% AVDV, 10% VWO
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

alwaysonit wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:35 am We are not married, I thought DW was the terminology used here for any serious parter.
That would be SO, short for “Serious Other” I believe.

What ages are you guys?

A lot of people do very well by “just working hard” for long periods of time and living beneath their means

With no other to go on, I’d recommend they look to be an office assistant.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

alwaysonit wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:24 am Her net worth is about 100k, mine 1.9m.

I don't think I understand how the last paragraph is related to the first two. Perhaps you are imagining something that your significant other could do with her hours?
If so, any part time or full time job will meet your requirements.
This is gonna be my time. Time to taste the fruits and let the juices drip down my chin. I proclaim this: The Summer of George!
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

You need to edit this post.
Watty

Post by Watty »

alwaysonit wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:35 am We are not married, I thought DW was the terminology used here for any serious parter.
DW stands for Dear Wife which would mean that you are married.

Looking at your prior posts suggests that you might not be in the US so you may get better responses responses if you mention what part of the world you are in. It is great to have people posting from all over the world so please don't be put off by how focused on US investing this board is at times.

If English is not your first language then it might be best to avoid abbreviations and idioms when possible since those can be really hard to use. They can even be different between British English and American English.

About your question on what to invest in there is a getting started wiki if you have not seen it.
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started

If you are in the US and you are planning to have kids without getting married then I would highly suggest that have lawyers draw up a pre-maritial agreement to set up how your finances will be handled.

I don't know about other countries but in the US if you are going to have kids or be in a life long relationship since there are usually a lot of tax advantages for getting married like that you can qualify for benefits with your spouse's Social Security and have better inheritance options. It is not meant to be a moral judgement but in the US from a practical standpoint if you are not in a committed enough relationship to get married then I would be cautious about intentionally having kids together.

There is really no way to suggest what sort of career your partner should have without knowing a lot more about her.
Last edited by Watty on Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

Maybe I read this wrong, is it indeed you that is looking for a new job for 10-40 hours job for *yourself*, because currently you are living off your portfolio, but you want more income to support a family with a potentially stay-at-home spouse?
Last edited by muffins14 on Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Topic moved to Personal Finance. Let’s also avoid discussion of relationship issues or give advice towards counseling. Stay focused on finance topics.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

Strayshot wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:33 am

How do you have different net worth if you are married? DW is “dear wife” right?

Reading this post makes me think the first and best investment you need to make is in some relationship counseling, so that gets my vote.

If your question is “my wife and I have a net worth of $2M and are looking at options she can pursue for work or education that can better our position prior to having a family” you might get more responses……..
I dont really agree with this midset. The 1.9 M is money OP has made individually. Yes that money should go towards their house and expenses, but it is not automatically 50% hers due to her being the wife. At least that is not the mentality that should be touted. Its his money which will go towards the household that they have agreed to build togather. Funny how I.also dont see too.many posts where the husband is worth 100k and the wife is 1.9 M. Anyway, a 1.8 million difference in net worth cannot be ignored doesnt matter which side the differnece leans towards.
Topic Author
alwaysonit

Post by alwaysonit »

We are both European, not based in the US.

I also have active income (as well as passive from my ETF/bond portfolio) and do not have much free time.
She on the other hand does.

The standard wage she can earn here is just over $10/hour.
I was hoping I combine some of my capital with her free time, so that she can earn more than $10/hour.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

alwaysonit wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:17 am We are both European, not based in the US.

I also have active income (as well as passive from my ETF/bond portfolio) and do not have much free time.

I was hoping I combine some of my capital with her free time, so that she can earn more than $10/hour.
So it sounds like you want to start a business of one kind or another, and she will be your employee, or instead that you will be an investor in a company she runs?

What kind of company or business would she like to run or work for?
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

alwaysonit wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:17 am We are both European, not based in the US.

Spend on her education in a field that she is interested in and is profitable, then she can earn more than $10 an hour. Research the job market in your country, which jobs earn the most money and have the best growth outlook for the next 10-20 years. Then do some analysis on her personality and interests to determine which would be a good fit for her.

The decision I made to become a computer programmer was based on this. High growth potential of the field compared to other sectors, high salary, and my own interest in computers from a young age and a general analytic problem-solving personality type. Being more interested in "things" like machines and systems than interpersonal communication.
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

I second an education. It's the give a person a fish scenario.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

The problem with suggesting education is that if someone wanted more they would have already pursued that by this stage of life. And the problem with a business is that typically people have experience in a business, even if that experience comes while earning $10/hr. We don't know what the employment situation where the OP lives is like, but in many places in the U.S. the $10 is now closer to $15, and there are still quite a few jobs available, although situations might be changing in the near future. Overall this thread is sounding more like one of the several we've had recently for kids who haven't figured out what they want to do yet than for a significant other.
uglymcmuffin

Post by uglymcmuffin »

My favorite thing to tell people is that my best investment has been in my wife. She gives the best returns and she encouraged me to retire early so she could continue to work. When i stopped working I was probably making 5x her salary, now she is pretty close to earning my old salary. Investment in a person is more than just throwing money at them. You have to encourage them, set them up for success, help them debug their problems at work, help them navigate the corporate ladders, make them feel good about changing industries, encourage career growth.

I always disagree with people who think that because one person earns significantly more than the other the lesser person should reduce their career, and just because you have a high net worth or earn significantly more doesn’t mean you can’t give it up to do something else. The reason why you are married is to support each other.
er999

Post by er999 »

Not doing real estate investing myself, but I’ve read that if one member of a couple can qualify for real estate professional status you can get substantial tax benefits if you want to do investment properties. I think the rules are something like at least 750 hours per year in a real estate field and no other job that takes up > 50% of working hours.

Edit: you aren’t us based so this probably doesn’t apply.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

SO = Significant Other, and that's an acceptable term.

I agree that the real estate business is reality-based. Depending on where you live, and if the SO is motivated to do it, OP could purchase a duplex or triplex and the SO could manage it, find renters, take care of financial issues, make sure everyone is happy, etc. She would not need any formal education if she's motivated to do this. The working relationship and her compensation would have to be worked out to her satisfaction and yours.

If she's not motivated to do this and you feel strongly about the difference in her equity and yours and her inability to earn more, perhaps this requires a lot more thought and consideration than this Forum can provide.

It never bothered me that my DW earned more than I did, even when she was my SO prior to her DW status. We worked everything out to our mutual satisfaction. (In retirement she still earns more than I do.)
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
Strayshot

Post by Strayshot »

Keenobserver wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:19 am
Strayshot wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:33 am

I dont really agree with this midset. The 1.9 M is money OP has made individually. Yes that money should go towards their house and expenses, but it is not automatically 50% hers due to her being the wife. At least that is not the mentality that should be touted. Its his money which will go towards the household that they have agreed to build togather. Funny how I.also dont see too.many posts where the husband is worth 100k and the wife is 1.9 M. Anyway, a 1.8 million difference in net worth cannot be ignored doesnt matter which side the differnece leans towards.
Since my post we have found that OP is both 1) in Europe and 2) not actually married so I wouldn’t say my comment relates anymore.

In the US, your statement about money “not automatically being hers” outside of a solid prenuptial agreement is not in alignment with the perspective of US law, family lawyers, and judges that will be utilized through divorce mediation. What “mentality” would you propose instead? From a financial perspective, optimization should happen across the relationship unit and since money is all fungible it should be used for the best purpose regardless of initial source.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

Im fully aware of the prospective " legal" implications of marriage in the US. I dont think there is anyone over the age of 13 who does not. The point is, it is not automatically " her" money but the money that he has agreed to bring into their relationship so they can make a home togather. This point is not to be brushed under the rug. This is exactly the kind of toxic mentality I am protecting my daughters from. They are not to assume their husband's money becomes their's by some birth right, but money that both sides made individually and have agreed as adults to put togather. This establishes a level of respect and independence between the spouses, vs women just assuming that 1.9Million and the 100k are equal contributions towards the household. I definately dont want my daughters to claim automatic ownership of their future husbands because well " im his wife". Such mindset is the reason for a majority of divorces, and also why young people, expecially men are now refusing to get married.
CaptainT

Post by CaptainT »

Do not try and create a buisness or job for your girlfriend. This could open you up to lots of buisness and legal issues if you break up.
100k is a decent net worth when young. If she wants to come post. Here about how to get a better job or start a buisness she should.
I would advise her not to start a family with someone who views her as lesser as she comes into it with less money.