E*trade delayed quotes?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
biscuit5

E*trade delayed quotes?

Post by biscuit5 »

Curious what others experiences with this have been?

I don't use the site a lot (which is why I didn't notice sooner) but today looked up a symbol or two and the share prices did not correlate with any other site or phone app.

Sounds like this has gone on for a few years (? via google) what is the deal? why would Joe Average use the site if they cannot even get accurate price data on a purchase of an ETF (or stock)?

You can click 'buy' and see the current price, but a hassle if looking up multiple items.

Now, you can pay $$$ to get real time quotes there (it is not 'free'), which seems silly as any of a zillion apps on Google Play will give you real time stock quotes, as will nearly any other site I use.

Curious what others experiences with this have been.

Also, it seems they have no secure messaging system anymore (no way to send them messages), what gives?
I don't want to 'call' and sit on hold for an hour for a simple, non-time sensitive question.

Thanks.
Broken Man 1999

Re: E*trade delayed quotes?

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Not unusual, Vanguard does the same:

Intraday prices are generally provided for stocks, ETFs, and options on a delayed basis during market hours. Prices are delayed at least 20 minutes. If an intraday price is not available, the price displayed will reflect the previous business day's close. For mutual funds and fixed income holdings, the prices displayed are generally the previous business day's closing price.

However, like etrade, you can get current price if you are in the screen to buy.

Broken Man 1999

ETA: Fidelity's quotes are delayed 15 minutes but you can sign up for real time quotes.
This quote was indeed delayed 15 minutes:

$280.88
FINY
-1.5935 (-0.56%)
As of Aug-04-202211:17:17AM ET
Quotes delayed at least 15 min.Sign up for real-time quotes.
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
starboi

Post by starboi »

what is the deal?
The deal is that real time quotes cost the broker money.

If you’re a serious trader then move somewhere that has real time quotes.

At IBKR they charge a data access fee. I think Fido and Schwab have free real time quotes but you have to enable it.
the_wiki

Post by the_wiki »

ON my account, I had to turn real time quotes on manually. It's under My Profile and Market Data Subscriptions. It is free for most types, they just don't enable it by default because it costs them money and most people don't need it. Most of us index investors shouldn't need it either! I only use it when I forget that I cannot market time and decide to lose money with short term trades.
Topic Author
biscuit5

Post by biscuit5 »

the_wiki wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:48 am ON my account, I had to turn real time quotes on manually. It's under My Profile and Market Data Subscriptions. It is free for most types, they just don't enable it by default because it costs them money and most people don't need it. Most of us index investors shouldn't need it either! I only use it when I forget that I cannot market time and decide to lose money with short term trades.
Thanks, did see that prior, though not free, its $123/month.

If one is buying/selling ETFs like VTI it can matter, or tax loss harvesting.
Topic Author
biscuit5

Post by biscuit5 »

starboi wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:40 am
what is the deal?
The deal is that real time quotes cost the broker money.

If you’re a serious trader then move somewhere that has real time quotes.

At IBKR they charge a data access fee. I think Fido and Schwab have free real time quotes but you have to enable it.
Thanks. Both Schwab and Fido offer it free, as does my 'free' phone app for funds/stocks/ETFs etc. If it does cost someone money, why not charge for it from the get-go and not nearly 20 years after you open your business.

Also, as stated above if one is tax loss harvesting or buying ETFs like VTI it comes into play. Thanks.
the_wiki

Post by the_wiki »

biscuit5 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:02 pm
the_wiki wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:48 am ON my account, I had to turn real time quotes on manually. It's under My Profile and Market Data Subscriptions. It is free for most types, they just don't enable it by default because it costs them money and most people don't need it. Most of us index investors shouldn't need it either! I only use it when I forget that I cannot market time and decide to lose money with short term trades.
Thanks, did see that prior, though not free, its $123/month.

If one is buying/selling ETFs like VTI it can matter, or tax loss harvesting.
That is really weird, it is free for me and I actually have under $1000 right now, so it can't be balance based.

Is yours a retirement account? Mine is regular taxable.
Topic Author
biscuit5

Post by biscuit5 »

the_wiki wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:13 pm That is really weird, it is free for me and I actually have under $1000 right now, so it can't be balance based.

Is yours a retirement account? Mine is regular taxable.
Thanks. Yes strange. Taxable here too.

I read if you have $1000 or more it is 'free' but when looking it was not for me, unsure why? This was one item I was going to send in a 'secure message' to them (as it isn't urgent) but of course they no longer have messaging :( , so, a phone call and long wait time are in my future to ask. :thumbsdown
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

https://www.tradingview.com/
is a pretty good site for real-time quotes/charts, watchlists.

I also like the heatmap:
https://www.tradingview.com/heatmap/sto ... _cap_basic

I wonder if some discount brokerages realize there are a ton of good free options so it's just a way to save some money on their end. I also use Excel for TLH since 365 gives you stock/mf data.
Topic Author
biscuit5

Post by biscuit5 »

runninginvestor wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:24 pm https://www.tradingview.com/
is a pretty good site for real-time quotes/charts, watchlists.

I also like the heatmap:
https://www.tradingview.com/heatmap/sto ... _cap_basic

I wonder if some discount brokerages realize there are a ton of good free options so it's just a way to save some money on their end. I also use Excel for TLH since 365 gives you stock/mf data.
Thanks. The heatmap is pretty cool.

I've had the ET account for some time...and never recall the quote restriction. Via the web, sounds like this started a few years ago but as I don't actively trade, I never really noticed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

biscuit5 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:45 am Also, it seems they have no secure messaging system anymore (no way to send them messages), what gives?
I don't want to 'call' and sit on hold for an hour for a simple, non-time sensitive question.
Huh, I clicked on "customer service" and selected "message center", but don't see a way to submit a message. There is an upload document section, at least.

I do have a representative that I can email with non-secure messages, though.
The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions. ― John C. Bogle
Topic Author
biscuit5

Post by biscuit5 »

jeffyscott wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:54 am
biscuit5 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:45 am Also, it seems they have no secure messaging system anymore (no way to send them messages), what gives?
Huh, I clicked on "customer service" and selected "message center", but don't see a way to submit a message. There is an upload document section, at least.

yes, no more messaging. Took me off guard. Navigating an 800 # system is frustrating at best, then the time to make calls and sit on hold etc. :thumbsdown
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

biscuit5 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:13 am

yes, no more messaging. Took me off guard. Navigating an 800 # system is frustrating at best, then the time to make calls and sit on hold etc. :thumbsdown
I'd rather they eliminate the ability to call and keep secure messaging. But can you not contact a local or other assigned representative directly? I don't have that much there but they assigned me to a representative, as I mentioned. He is at a location about 1500 miles away, there's no local office where I live.

I don't think there's chat either? Oh, except I do see something called "Screen share" and it says: Screen share makes it easy to get the real-time support you need.

I have one account there for a bonus, my plan has been to consolidate at Schwab. I didn't think E-trade would offer anything that would change that plan and they hadn't, but reduced modes of contact make it certain that I won't be staying.

Schwab seems to offer the most modes of contact, without making it a hassle to find and use any of them. Fidelity is close, but hides their chat and wants you to chat with a bot first.
The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions. ― John C. Bogle
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

biscuit5 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:13 am

Merrill Edge has done the same (although there may be secure messaging in their cellphone app - I haven't tried that). I always get real time quotes in Fido as long as I'm logged into my account. 20 minute delay otherwise.