cash balance plan

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
onthepath

cash balance plan

Post by onthepath »

I am a 40 yo with a full time job and w2 income in 35 to 37% tax brackets. I live in a no income tax state and I am able to use my w2 earnings to max out the following
401k through Employer 20500
backdoor roth ira x2 ( spouse) 12000
hsa 7200
after tax brokerage contributions ~ 15k monthly

I do a variable amount of 1099 work on the side and in years past the income from this was in the 100k to 150k range yearly and this was used to contribute 20% to a solo 401k as an employer contribution and the rest was invested in taxable brokerage.

this year and likely moving forward 1099 side gig income will probably be in the 200k yearly range. I have read a little about cash balance plans and was wondering if this would be a good way to lower taxable income in my situation.

if a cash balance plan is recommended would a 50/50 stock/bond allocation seem reasonable (I am almost 100% in sp500 or similar otherwise) and who are the recommended plan administrators for this. also does using a cash balance plan affect my ability to use a solo401k?