shocked at the price of buying checks!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bob60014

Re: shocked at the price of buying checks!

Post by bob60014 »

What's a check? ;)
yules

Post by yules »

ekid wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:55 am Deluxe printers- bought thru bank.

$40 for 100 checks- that's too many, it should last for the rest of my life. I may cancel but not sure it's possible.

Checks not used much anymore but can a person get thru life without any at all?
You are angry enough about this, and angry enough to have posted about it, for essentially a one-time $40 expense since these will last the rest of your life?

Yules
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Five years ago, we got a box from Costco. I doubt we’ll ever use them up.
sport

Post by sport »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:04 pm Can't believe that on this forum, no one has mentioned that checks are free from Vanguard and can be used on your transaction account or other account that you designate.
For a Vanguard mutual fund account, the checks will be for a specific money market or bond fund. They are also imprinted "not valid for less than $250.00".
masteraleph

Post by masteraleph »

Last time we bought we bought through Costco. Significantly cheaper than what you're saying, and should last pretty much indefinitely, given that we'll use about 60 more checks to get our youngest through daycare and then probably no more than one every other month following that.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

I make my own checks. Just print a piece of paper with account/routing number. I am not sure if hand made is accepted anymore.
celia

Post by celia »

We recently ordered 400 checks for $40 through Bradford Exchange. They were having a “Pay for 200, Get 200 free” sale at the time and I chose them for a particular check background.

Looking at the receipt, technically the checks were $13.98, but then 10.95 was added for secure shipping (instead of free shipping), another 11.80 for Service & Handling, then they added tax on the whole price. They must really make their profit from all the add-ons.

Not only will these last till the end of our life, but they’ll probably last for our next life too. 8-)
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

As others have said, there are lots of options:

Many banks with no minimum balance, no monthly fee checking accounts offer free standard check orders, including:

USAA
Schwab Bank
E*TRADE Bank
Fidelity
Ally Bank
Navy Federal Credit Union
Capital One 360 (only first order of checks is free)
Discover Bank

And if you like your current bank and are prepared to pay for checks, then there are a number of online options for check printing. As many others have recommended, I'd suggest Walmart, one hundred fifty (150) standard checks for $7.96 shipped free. https://www.walmartchecks.com/c/persona ... /x?add=n21

So if you are that upset, cancel your check order and order from Walmart. Or switch banks to one that offers free printed checks.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Discussions of dishonest behavior or bypassing the law is totally unacceptable. I removed a suggestion to misrepresent your situation in order to convince a bank teller to give you free Counter Checks.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
riverant

Post by riverant »

Yarlonkol12 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:09 am

$40 for 100 checks- that's too many, it should last for the rest of my life. I may cancel but not sure it's possible.

I don't use them, I haven't written a check in years. I won't even pay service people with checks, I make sure they accept CC (fees are fine, usually less than my reward anyway). To much of a security issue imo, especially now in the age of mobile deposit your checks could technically remain in a persons hands forever, in the past checks had to be deposited at a physical bank and the bank would take it, not the case anymore
The security issue is what gets me. Given how easy it is to set up EFT draws, it’s absolutely puzzling to me how millions of people give total strangers little slips of paper with their account and routing numbers on them.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Walmart or Costco will beat that by a mile. They will be from the same printer as the bank. Also, you will find a difference between Walmart and Costco from the same printer.

Tim
Jablean

Post by Jablean »

meebers wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:37 pm I can go to my credit union and have them print me out 3 or 4 sheets (4 checks per sheet) for free. This lasts me a couple of years.
I have one CU that will print for free (they also do 2 free boxes of checks a year if I want) and another that charged me a dollar a sheet.
Kingghoti wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:46 pm Sometimes it’s a case of using checks not because I have to but because I want to.

I’d rather gift my children with a check in a birthday card and not an ACH transaction. Cool to see them touch and read the check. Before they whip out their phone to mobile deposit it. :-)

Takes away the sentiment if I have to tell them “Check your text messages.”

Just another point of view.

Best!
I try to give my kid checks for somewhat the same reason - money he just puts in his hidden stash - a check he has to do something like remember how to get into his banking account.
TJat wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:48 am The security issue is what gets me. Given how easy it is to set up EFT draws, it’s absolutely puzzling to me how millions of people give total strangers little slips of paper with their account and routing numbers on them.
Since I'm at a CU I can make different accounts almost to my heart's content. My checking account only has enough in it to pay for one month. An autotransfer moves money into it each month. If someone wants money from my checking account by using the routing numbers they won't empty my other accounts.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (purchasing checks).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

sport wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:28 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:04 pm Can't believe that on this forum, no one has mentioned that checks are free from Vanguard and can be used on your transaction account or other account that you designate.
For a Vanguard mutual fund account, the checks will be for a specific money market or bond fund. They are also imprinted "not valid for less than $250.00".
I don't think that they enforce that suggested limit, though. I've never heard anyone say that their check for less than $250 wasn't honored.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

I was on the IT banking business for a few years. DDA - Checks are a serious security risk for the user. My advice is to try hard npt to use checks. And never take a blank checkbook out of the house where it could be lost or stolen.

Sadly many people make their living by executing multiple and varied types of check fraud, some of it directly against the banks, other types where you are the victim.

A very common check fraud is check washing - removing and altering the payable and amount lines to pay themselves or a fake business. In most cases you can get your money back but it can take significant time, and you have to prove you were not negligent in the "care-taking" of the check.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Kingghoti wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:46 pm I’d rather gift my children with a check in a birthday card and not an ACH transaction. Cool to see them touch and read the check. Before they whip out their phone to mobile deposit it. :-)
:D :D
bagle

Post by bagle »

bob60014 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:51 pm What's a check? ;)
+1. Moved to Europe and have paid with cell phone or contactless credit card for the past decade.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

bagle wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:50 am
+1. Moved to Europe and have paid with cell phone or contactless credit card for the past decade.
Most things that used to be paid by check for us have migrated to Venmo. We now only write maybe 1-3 checks a year. We have an Ally checking account, so unlimited free checks.
Topic Author
ekid

Post by ekid »

yules wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:13 pm

You are angry enough about this, and angry enough to have posted about it, for essentially a one-time $40 expense since these will last the rest of your life?

Yules
Yes I have suspicion a financial entity that will rip me off for a little, will rip me off for a lot, given the opportunity.
I trusted them to treat me with dignity, and be competitive with the industry.

I do have a credit union that might be more in line with the going rate. Considering whether I need the account at all, now.
Been with this bank for decades.
changingtimes

Post by changingtimes »

How do we feel about checks that have an old address on them? (But thanks for the Walmart recommendation in case I need to buy new ones!)
vaylie

Post by vaylie »

Has anyone had experience ordering business checks from any of these websites? I don't want to use Deluxe, that Chase redirects me to.

The cheapest option on walmartchecks seems to be either 2-to-a-page or 3-to-a-page business checks, but I've never had experience using something like that before. Is it the same if I order a manual check or a laser check? I want to make sure the checks won't bounce or cause issues.
island

Post by island »

Ours are free at BOA
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

vaylie wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:52 pm Has anyone had experience ordering business checks from any of these websites? I don't want to use Deluxe, that Chase redirects me to.

The cheapest option on walmartchecks seems to be either 2-to-a-page or 3-to-a-page business checks, but I've never had experience using something like that before. Is it the same if I order a manual check or a laser check? I want to make sure the checks won't bounce or cause issues.
I use the 3 to a page business checks. I get them from a different vendor than Walmart, but the principle is the same. I can either print them on my computer or write them by hand. My bank accepts them either way.

I run a small business and both receive and write many more checks every month than most people on this thread do in a year or longer.

If I write one by hand, I take a picture of it with my phone and then enter the amount into my check writing program at home.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
SR II

Post by SR II »

Once or twice a year I find myself writing a check. A few months ago I ordered checks from the bank (also from Deluxe) and was also shocked when I saw a "box" of duplicate checks was $41. But figured, like you, they'd last forever. Then, it took weeks to finally get them in the mail. I expected the normal box, with 100 checks. No, it was a plastic envelope with only 75 duplicate checks. That was only three packs of checks. Unbelievable!
tunafish

Post by tunafish »

currentchecks.com 100 pretty chose the design checks for $14. Did you not look at the price before you ordered the $40 ones?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Checks are still free from our bank WellsFargo. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

The only check I use is for my rent, and that is because they have some egregious charges for online payment (like 5%). So I need 12 checks a year. I haven't ordered checks in several years but last time I did I think it was under $15.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

livesoft wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:04 am Checks are still free from our bank WellsFargo. :)
Even for the accounts you didn't open? :D
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

livesoft wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:04 am Checks are still free from our bank WellsFargo. :)
+1
trevorshhh

Post by trevorshhh »

I'm jealous of the folks who don't need checks anymore! We live in the suburbs in one of the top 10 largest metro areas in the US and most of the contractors/tradespeople we find to do work at our house only take cash or check. Since I don't like keeping around hundreds of dollars of cash for these checks are the easy solution.

Several of my bank accounts give free checks on request so I just get them from there. My local CU does not, but Discover does for example.
All in VTI, VXUS, BND and equivalents.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

This is why I love banking with Schwab (or I'm sure other online banks are the same). Free checks (we write a very small number each year) and no foreign ATM fees.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

They're these little pieces of paper you scribble on in order to purchase things like buggy whips and spats, and to pay the guy who brings ice around for your icebox.

But seriously folks, I haven't reduced my need for checks to zero, but it's certainly small enough that a pack of checks will last ages for me. So while I love a bargain, personally, if it costs $40 or $20, I'm ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ either way. It's all chump change when amortized over their useful life.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
twh

Post by twh »

order checks though Costco
illumination

Post by illumination »

My bank (Wells Fargo) tried to charge me something like $500 for my small business account to get some checks, I about had a meltdown. That was the smallest order, it was like one book of checks. They were able to figure out a way around it for like $25 where they got personal checks and put my business name on it, but they acted like they did me some huge favor. I've been banking there for like 20+ years and have a decent sized account. Member of the "Private Bank", etc.

Banks are going to be "Amazoned" in the near future. 99% of what I need done, I shouldn't even need physical checks or to got a branch at all, but they are so antiquated, I still have to.
Topic Author
ekid

Post by ekid »

tunafish wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:55 am

currentchecks.com 100 pretty chose the design checks for $14. Did you not look at the price before you ordered the $40 ones?
No, I only looked while driving out the exit. Lucky I didn't crash.
But I did cancel, and re-ordered elsewhere.
(sigh)
didn't save much money. $12-14.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

ekid wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:01 pm
tunafish wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:55 am

No, I only looked while driving out the exit. Lucky I didn't crash.
But I did cancel, and re-ordered elsewhere.
(sigh)
didn't save much money. $12-14.
If you are complaining about only saving $12-$14, then that's on you. Many posters provided suggestions that would have resulted in savings of over $30.00. :moneybag
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

JoeRetire wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:08 am

(shrug)
I use my bank's BillPay feature for pretty much everything.
I write very few paper checks.

Search "order checks" to find dozens of vendors who will sell you small quantities of inexpensive checks.
This. Although I need new ones since change of address has occurred.
Base Hit

Post by Base Hit »

jabberwockOG wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:26 pm I was on the IT banking business for a few years. DDA - Checks are a serious security risk for the user. My advice is to try hard npt to use checks. And never take a blank checkbook out of the house where it could be lost or stolen.

Sadly many people make their living by executing multiple and varied types of check fraud, some of it directly against the banks, other types where you are the victim.

A very common check fraud is check washing - removing and altering the payable and amount lines to pay themselves or a fake business. In most cases you can get your money back but it can take significant time, and you have to prove you were not negligent in the "care-taking" of the check.
Thieves with mailbox keys are stealing mail and altering checks, just as you said. Hopefully, high security checks can prevent this.
sport

Post by sport »

Base Hit wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:44 pm
jabberwockOG wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:26 pm I was on the IT banking business for a few years. DDA - Checks are a serious security risk for the user. My advice is to try hard npt to use checks. And never take a blank checkbook out of the house where it could be lost or stolen.

Thieves with mailbox keys are stealing mail and altering checks, just as you said. Hopefully, high security checks can prevent this.
I write an occasional check, but I never mail one. If I need to mail a check I use the bank bill-pay system. Those checks do not have my account number on them. So, they pose no risk of check washing to me. The bank even pays the postage. :mrgreen:
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

I buy checks through Costco or Sams Club. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than the bank and at the rate I write check, this may be my last order.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

trevorshhh wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:23 am I'm jealous of the folks who don't need checks anymore! We live in the suburbs in one of the top 10 largest metro areas in the US and most of the contractors/tradespeople we find to do work at our house only take cash or check.
That's one of the few situations where I use checks still. But many will take a card for an acceptable fee. I bought my new furnace and they added 2%, which was more than offset by rewards and the extended warranty benefit of the card I used.
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

I'd be irked at paying $40 for 100 checks and definitely would look around as there are many places that offer free checks or low cost checks, including the ads in Sunday newspapers. Personally, I like checks that have free duplicates, which are often free as well. Still if you rarely buy and have already purchased, I'd not get all worked up over it.
VanGar+Goyle

Post by VanGar+Goyle »

ekid wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:55 am $40 for 100 checks- that's too many, it should last for the rest of my life. I may cancel but not sure it's possible.

My annual use of physical checks is decaying from 10 a month, down to 2 a year or less,
now that most governments are upgraded to handle Credit Cards, Direct Debit.
I write checks about as often as I use a USPS stamp.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Does anyone laserprint their checks? What forms and software do you use?
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.