Move to California?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
lstone19

Re: Move to California?

Post by lstone19 »

tesuzuki2002 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:18 pm
retired@50 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:37 am Any chance you could move to Reno, NV and still hold down this job?

Regards,
Do you live in Reno area? I'm really considering moving there. I'm current in So CAl... but from the Midwest originally.

It seems to me Reno is a great central location in the west with a lot of offerings.
My wife and I are moving to Reno before the end of the year (waiting on a new construction home in a 55+ community). We currently live in the Midwest but had met 30+ years ago in the SF Bay Area. In a perfect world, we'd move back to California but the cost advantages of Reno made it attractive - in many respects, it will be a NorCal lifestyle without the NorCal costs. And there is something to the "Biggest Little City in the World" slogan. We like that we will have city/suburban amenities yet be no more than about 20 minutes from any part of Reno (15 to airport and we will travel a lot), 25 minutes to a good ski area, 45 minutes to Lake Tahoe, and if we need something bigger, two hours to Sacramento. Where we are now, an evening out can involve an hour plus drive thanks to traffic.

Yes, winter weather in the mountain passes will be a problem at times. You pay attention to the weather forecast and modify plans if needed. In Reno itself, there will be some snow but it's usually gone in a few hours. All in all, we are very excited about our upcoming move.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Unlike the east coast, the area closer to the coast in California has much better weather. The OP mentions anything "north" of Sacramento, which technically includes anything from Santa Rosa to Crescent City. I would pick any number of towns in that stretch depending on the need for clientele in the immediate area. The heat will be oppressive in the summer anywhere inland in the middle of the state, such as in Redding, Red Bluff, or Chico. Both Redding and Chico have fabulous rivers but you have to be outside in the blistering sun to enjoy them. Fine if you're a college kid with a keg of beer, not so much for anyone with functioning nerve endings.

Northern California near the border of Nevada is also nice, in places like Susanville, with nearby Eagle Lake. If the OP is considering that I would suggest getting a good pair of snowshoes however.

If proximity to customers isn't an issue I would pick Eureka.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I work as technical support for sales, so have seen for many years what the sales people have to deal with. Sure, you'd move from 3 to 11 million dollars in the territory. But is your compensation based on goals like increases in sales in the territory? If it is and you see business slowing elsewhere, it's going to also slow in California. Yes, it's bigger, but when it drops everywhere 1.5% in a month, your share in California is more dollars and you could get significant pressure to bring the number up.

On the other side, chances are good that if it doesn't work out, you'll be able to find another job in Northern CA pretty easily. In my company as in most, we get notices in every Monday morning meeting that someone has retired and someone else has moved to another company. So of course, we've already filled the upper VP jobs but its been from someone already in the company, so their old job opens up. Always open jobs. We're not based in California but have facilities there from acquisitions and sales offices.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
Bigt3142

Post by Bigt3142 »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:30 pm Where is your territory, how much travel will you need to do, and how are you planning on getting there? If you’re driving, then anywhere along the I-5 corridor would probably work for you, but I’m guessing that most of your customers will be on the southern end of the territory, and you might want to live in that general direction.

If you’re flying, I dunno. Northern California is big, and not all that well served with airports. I might see if I could live in Sacramento.

Personally, I would probably pick Chico, because it’s a college town.
I'll be traveling weekly by car. Most of the customers are in the southern end of the territory. Redding would put me 2 1/2 hours away from the southern end. Being from a small town in Utah, Sacramento would be a big adjustment for us and is not something we're interested in. We like Redding because it is a lot like where we live now in Northern Utah. The city is about the same size with the same amenities.

My territory does include Reno but there isn't a lot of customers in that area. The main thing that concerns me is having to drive through the mountain during the winter.
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

Bigt3142 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:00 am ... The main thing that concerns me is having to drive through the mountain during the winter.
My advice...
4 Wheel Drive, good tires and keep a set of tire chains in the vehicle.

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

Bigt3142 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:00 am
quantAndHold wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:30 pm Where is your territory, how much travel will you need to do, and how are you planning on getting there? If you’re driving, then anywhere along the I-5 corridor would probably work for you, but I’m guessing that most of your customers will be on the southern end of the territory, and you might want to live in that general direction.
I'll be traveling weekly by car. Most of the customers are in the southern end of the territory. Redding would put me 2 1/2 hours away from the southern end. Being from a small town in Utah, Sacramento would be a big adjustment for us and is not something we're interested in. We like Redding because it is a lot like where we live now in Northern Utah. The city is about the same size with the same amenities.

My territory does include Reno but there isn't a lot of customers in that area. The main thing that concerns me is having to drive through the mountain during the winter.
Last year my wife and I moved from a Sierra town east of Sacramento to Oregon to be closer to family, so I drove that section from Redding to Sac quite a few times. I really hate that drive, as it gets seemingly random stop and go traffic from Yuba City to Sac when it should be traveling 70+ mph. Might want to monitor the traffic on an online map program to get a feel for the traffic flow, definitely don't assume you can always drive 75 mph through there.
Topic Author
Bigt3142

Post by Bigt3142 »

Caliscotsman wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:14 pm OP. If you give us some idea of the type of work and target markets it would be easier to make more precise recommendations as to suitable locations.
For example is there a reason it has to be North of Sacramento?
Do you have to go out in person?
Any need of a major airport?
Around Redding has been mentioned many times. Eureka is by the coast. (They grow a lot of 'stuff' in them parts.)
My personal recommendation would be Chico. Nice college town but yes very hot in summer. And still a significant drive to Sacramento.
My sales territory is from Sacramento North to the boarder of Northern California, it also includes western Nevada (Reno & Carson City). I can live anywhere in my territory so the location us 100% up to us.
I'll travel 2-3 days per week to meet with customers in their offices. 75% of my customers are in Sacramento area. The rest are spread out in the remainder of Norther California and Reno. Travel is 100% covered by my work.
I won't need to fly much, maybe 1 or two times per year.
We thought of Eureka until we found out it has the highest crime rate in California.
We'll travel out there before we make any decission to visit a few different areas including Chico, Redding, etc.
My wife really likes the coast. Any costal towns anyone would recommend?
lomarica01

Post by lomarica01 »

try looking at grass valley and nevada city area in the trees and much cooler than the hot hot valley you are above the fog and get snow just a couple times a year elevation is about 2300 feet

if you want more of a city feel look at auburn roseville and rocklin area

I would go for new job
good luck
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

If 75% of your customers are in Sacramento, you should really consider places closer to Sacramento. Is Davis in your territory? It’s a college town with a lot of amenities, a lot closer to Sacramento.

As far as living on the coast, the Northern California coast is beautiful. Also chilly. And probably impractical for you to get to your customers. Most of the roads go north/south.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

I had 2 senior executives from my work move to the Rocklin - Folsom region from the Bay Area after we instituted permanent WFH. It has access to water and is close to Sacramento.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
Tribonian

Post by Tribonian »

When you visit, I’d scout Folsom. Intel engineers demand good public schools. They are reputed to be excellent. Maybe also look at Placerville for a culture fit and second Grass Valley suggestion.
california_folks

Post by california_folks »

Another vote for Folsom, El Dorado-Hills, Granite Bay are nice cities to raise family.
Folsom ranked few times during the last couple decades on a list of the best places to raise a family in California:
https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/ ... nking%20No.
https://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneyma ... es/CA.html

A great location to access Lake Tahoe, Bay Area with much lower price for real estate, as well as being close to Sacramento.
Hope you find a great place to settle down :sharebeer
lostinjersey

Post by lostinjersey »

The nice Sacramento suburbs are where I’d be looking. El Dorado Hills, Folsom, Rocklin, etc as mentioned by pp’s.

Living coastal with that territory is a quick way to go crazy.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

lostinjersey wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:01 am The nice Sacramento suburbs are where I’d be looking. El Dorado Hills, Folsom, Rocklin, etc as mentioned by pp’s.

Just visit the coast on long weekends or on vacation. Definitely way less driving if most of your clients are in the Sac area.
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

Bigt3142 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:00 am

If you’re flying, I dunno. Northern California is big, and not all that well served with airports. I might see if I could live in Sacramento.

Personally, I would probably pick Chico, because it’s a college town.

I would give Sacramento a second look — especially the exurbs. Sacramento is kind of like a big town of sorts — and kind of like the “midwest” of California. I’m from the midwest (lived most of life in midwest and now CA) and wouldn’t want to live in any of California’s big cities — with the possible exception of Sacramento. It and its people really surprised me.
lostinjersey

Post by lostinjersey »

fareastwarriors wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:23 am
lostinjersey wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:01 am The nice Sacramento suburbs are where I’d be looking. El Dorado Hills, Folsom, Rocklin, etc as mentioned by pp’s.

Just visit the coast on long weekends or on vacation. Definitely way less driving if most of your clients are in the Sac area.
Exactly.
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

lostinjersey wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:39 am
fareastwarriors wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:23 am

Exactly.
Just fill your gas tank before you get to Mendocino. Current gasoline price is $9.66 / gallon.
Source: https://www.gasbuddy.com/gasprices/california/mendocino

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
Topic Author
Bigt3142

Post by Bigt3142 »

My wife does not want to move back to the suburbs. She lived in the suburbs of Phoenix for many years and does not miss it.
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

Check out Auburn. Foothills town east of Sacramento. I haven’t lived there but nice to visit. Old gold rush town. It’s its own town. Not a suburb.
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

Woodland might be viable. It is kind of a suburb but also the county seat of Yolo County and near the airport. Marysville and Yuba City look nice but have historically have had high poverty and drug use. Also Sierra foothill communities as mentioned before. Definitely avoid anything west of the coast range, the roads through there are not wide and either it will be too remote or too expensive.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Bigt3142 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:49 am I'll travel 2-3 days per week to meet with customers in their offices. 75% of my customers are in Sacramento area. The rest are spread out in the remainder of Norther California and Reno. Travel is 100% covered by my work.
Given this new information, and your desire for a smaller town feel rather than the big city in Sacramento, I'd second the recommendations for Chico, which is about the same size as Redding but much closer to Sacramento. The Redding to Sacramento commute will get very old, very quickly.

I've also lived for a bit in Grass Valley, but it's a much different vibe and much smaller town, although that was decades ago. And I lived for a bit in Woodland, where it seemed like to get anything other than basic amenities, you had to go to Sacramento. Even getting my broken leg treated while I lived in Woodland was a logistical and transportation hassle (since I drove a manual transmission car).
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

Bigt3142 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:49 am My sales territory is from Sacramento North to the boarder of Northern California, it also includes western Nevada (Reno & Carson City). I can live anywhere in my territory so the location us 100% up to us.
I'll travel 2-3 days per week to meet with customers in their offices. 75% of my customers are in Sacramento area. The rest are spread out in the remainder of Norther California and Reno. Travel is 100% covered by my work.
We thought of Eureka until we found out it has the highest crime rate in California.
We'll travel out there before we make any decission to visit a few different areas including Chico, Redding, etc.
Based on this information, it really is a no-brainer to me. I agree with the recommendations of Sacramento suburbs/exurbs. If your wife is willing to count Lake Tahoe as coast (mine certainly does, Lake Tahoe is absolutely beautiful and offers quite varied seasonal entertainment and nature), being on the East side of Sacramento is incredibly convenient. There's a prominent geological/topographical gradient between Sacramento and Tahoe in terms of altitude, mountains, weather, etc., so it's worth exploring to pinpoint exactly where you'd like to be along that spectrum. A few miles too close to Tahoe, and you might get more cold Winter weather and snow than you bargained for. A few miles too close to Sacramento, and you might get more heat than you wanted (although being from Utah, you're probably used to it). There's everything from fairly standard suburbs to outright rural areas around Sacramento, so you should be able to find something suitable to your tastes.

Being close to Sacramento means having access to big city services and amenities, but with your income, you can certainly afford decent housing in the region when compared to the Bay Area, LA, San Diego, etc. I would absolutely make the career move. The increased income more than justifies it. There are a lot of things I disliked about CA before coming here, but I just got over them with time. The fact that it's so big and there are so many people means you can kind seek out your niche. As an admittedly mild gun enthusiast myself, I hesitated to move to CA based on its gun laws, but despite living in the Bay Area, I have a sizable group of friends who go shooting together on a regular basis. The only thing I would say is pretty universally bad about the state is housing affordability, and ironically, it's gotten so bad that Californians spilling over into other states is spreading the problem elsewhere around the country, so leaving CA isn't even as much of an obvious escape from it as before. Making $350k helps alleviate that problem.
deikel

Post by deikel »

Bigt3142 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:49 am
Caliscotsman wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:14 pm OP. If you give us some idea of the type of work and target markets it would be easier to make more precise recommendations as to suitable locations.
For example is there a reason it has to be North of Sacramento?
Do you have to go out in person?
Any need of a major airport?
Around Redding has been mentioned many times. Eureka is by the coast. (They grow a lot of 'stuff' in them parts.)
My personal recommendation would be Chico. Nice college town but yes very hot in summer. And still a significant drive to Sacramento.
My sales territory is from Sacramento North to the boarder of Northern California, it also includes western Nevada (Reno & Carson City). I can live anywhere in my territory so the location us 100% up to us.
The logical choice would be somewhere 1h away from Sacramento - maybe even in the middle of Sac and Reno - which brings you to the very pretty area of Lake Tahoe

Start with looking for very good school districts in a semi circle 1 h north east of Sac - you can find pretty there.

Ocean is two hours away from Sac and an easy weekend drive, there is so much pretty things to find in northern CA. And if you need some city fix, SFO is nearby

Just be aware that the sale process may be a bit different to what you are used to now (I forgot where your current territory is), but CA IS more laid back. If you are a high pressure Boston/NY fast talker, you may be in for a surprise
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
evelynmanley

Post by evelynmanley »

The Tahoe area has experienced horrific fires, especially last year, which forced evacuations:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/08/31/ ... re-danger/
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ex ... a-n1277493
https://www.southtahoenow.com/story/03/ ... recreation

The evacuation routes were very problematic for many towns, with only one exit road.

Reno has had the same experience:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/reno-wildfir ... cy-sisolak
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

Bigt3142 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:09 pm

My wife does not want to move back to the suburbs. She lived in the suburbs of Phoenix for many years and does not miss it.
So what does that mean then ? She wants urban, big city living ? Small city living ? Rural ?
An important key to investing is having a well-calibrated sense of your future regret.
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

Firemenot wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:32 pm Check out Auburn. Foothills town east of Sacramento. I haven’t lived there but nice to visit. Old gold rush town. It’s its own town. Not a suburb.
+1 Either the foothill towns to the east or the very nicest suburbs of Sacramento. Your wife might like the suburb if it is the best of the best.
An important key to investing is having a well-calibrated sense of your future regret.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

You may want to join this forum:

www.city-data.com/forum
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 11 years 😀
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

Bigt3142 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:38 am I was approached by my Sales Manager on Friday with an opportunity to move to the best sales territory at my company. The salesman in this territory is retiring at the end of the year. His sales last year hit $25 million. This was the first year for me in my new territory and it set a record for sales of $6 million. So far this year I've sold $3 million and he is at $11 million. I see our sales dropping off significantly through the rest of this year because not much has sold in the last month and I can see that continuing in to next year. I feel like my territory specifically is in for a rough ride, with it already having low sales. If I took this new territory I would have to move to Northern California, anywhere North of Sacramento would be allowed. I've never been a big fan of California with their high taxes, traffic, and lets just say culture. The pay would end up being double to triple what I'm making now. From around $150,000 now to $350,000 plus.

My wife and kids are on board. We like the mountains, lakes, rivers and a smaller town feel. We are thinking Redding might not be to bad. Housing where I live now is expensive, so it would be pretty equal. Would you make this move?
Me, I would move and probably rent for at least a year to see how things flush out with the job and the residential areas.
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
Caliscotsman

Post by Caliscotsman »

Placerville.
Beautiful town center
maulermark

Post by maulermark »

I'm in Roseville which is about 20 minutes NE of Sacramento. We have our own city power plant and water supply so no PG&E and rolling blackouts. The utilities are very affordable compared to other locales who can pay upwards of $800 a month for electrical and $300 for water depending upon usage.

A lot of the Bay Area folks are moving here so it's probably a bit more city than you'd like but it is easy to find 5+ acre parcels nearby if you so choose. The further you go north along the highway 65/70/99 corridor (Chico is 90 miles from Sac), the less you have to deal with the population and you are still within reach of Sacramento.

The weather is outstanding as I wear shorts to work nearly year-round. Keep in mind that we do have our hot streaks (currently in a 5-day streak of over 100 degrees) so a pool comes in handy.
ccf

Post by ccf »

Bigt3142 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:38 am I feel like my territory specifically is in for a rough ride
you'd get this off your mind and the compensation is much better? sounds good.
maulermark

Post by maulermark »

BernardShakey wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:01 pm
Firemenot wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:32 pm Check out Auburn. Foothills town east of Sacramento. I haven’t lived there but nice to visit. Old gold rush town. It’s its own town. Not a suburb.
+1 Either the foothill towns to the east or the very nicest suburbs of Sacramento. Your wife might like the suburb if it is the best of the best.
I'd vote for Auburn too as it is at ~1000ft elevation and sits above the valley so they are few degrees cooler in the summer and sit above the fog in the central valley in winter. It's definitely a smaller town vibe and easy to get some bigger lots. It's still only 30-45 minutes to Sacramento.

Fire insurance is expensive though as it is heavily forested as you move up the Sierra.
Last edited by maulermark on Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:32 pm
asap wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:34 pm I've never been a big fan of California with their high taxes, traffic, and lets just say culture.

Easy. No.
Since this is a financial forum, I'll only address the part about taxes. It really does vary from case to case in terms of tax liability as California is not a high-tax state for everyone. Some specifics:

Sales tax exempts housing, groceries, services, utilities, insurance, travel, education, and items that are purchased used. For most people, these are the big items they spend money on in their budget.

Social security is not taxed.

Property taxes can get smaller and smaller over time, to the point of being negligible, if you can harness the system (Props 13 and 19) to your favor. My property value has increased 250% over the past 12 years (since I purchased my home) while my property taxes have increased just 10% over the same timeframe. My wife's grandmother pays $1k in property taxes on a house valued around $2m.

Home sales have a capital gains tax exclusion of $250k for single folks and $500k for married. There is a step-up in cost basis when one spouse passes away.

There are California rebates on purchase of certain electric cars.

The state provides additional subsidies toward health insurance on top of the federal one for those who purchase on the state health care exchange and qualify. Additionally, the subsidy cliff is replaced with a gradual slide and those with incomes up to 600% of the federal poverty level (as opposed to 400% in other states) can qualify for assistance. This can be a huge tax savings for some. In my family's case, we receive a state subsidy toward health insurance that brings down our share of the cost of premiums to $0 for an HSA Bronze Plan. Last year, we were paying $50/month for a gold plan.

There are programs available to provide discounts on rent and utility bills for those who meet requirements.

The cost of electricity can be moderate in some areas of the state. Instead of running air conditioning and heaters, using windows and fans can go a long way.

The state has been running substantial budget surpluses and has been issuing stimulus checks lately to most people. We received $1100 last year and expect to get something similar this year. Our income tax liability in California is a negative number.
"My property value has increased 250% over the past 12 years (since I purchased my home) while my property taxes have increased just 10% over the same timeframe."

"In my family's case, we receive a state subsidy toward health insurance that brings down our share of the cost of premiums to $0 for an HSA Bronze Plan..."

You're a millionaire (several times over?) that pays very little in property taxes and nothing for healthcare and received a state stimulus check last year. Your wife quit her job long ago and you work part of the year as a teacher.

From that perspective, California sounds like a dream come true.
frugalecon

Post by frugalecon »

Based on the info OP provided, Redding does sound logical. I have family in Redding, and have visited frequently over the last thirty years, most recently in April. It appears to be growing steadily, and amenities of all kinds are more apparent. (Microbreweries, attractions like the Sundial Bridge (definitely check it out if you visit!), and then the booming marijuana dispensary businesses). It is near many outdoor things that I love, like Lassen National Park (has some great volcanic features; Mt. Lassen erupted spectacularly in the early part of the 20th century), the Trinity Alps, and not to far from the coast (where there is a cool respite from the scorching summer). Redding’s airport also has much better service than it did 30 years ago, particularly via United to their hub in SFO and to LAX, and Alaska up to PDX, not sure about SEA. A low cost carrier (Avelo) started service to Redding from SoCal. I believe United was going to add a flight to DEN, but I’m not sure that happened with the shortage of pilots for the regional carriers. Because Sacramento is so close, I usually just fly in and out of SMF; it is about 2 hours and 10 minutes to my FIL’s house.

So Redding does have a lot going for it. But the poster who mentioned meth does have a point. There is a lot of that. Lots of relatively low-paying service jobs, so the income distribution is going to limit the sort of development that goes on. No university, so nothing like that to serve as a hub. Definitely HOT in the summer, which can be a bit punishing. With your salary, maybe you will splurge on a pool. Assuming there is water to fill it. The drought is really quite severe. When I visited in April, Lake Shasta was at 38% capacity, at the end of the rainy season. Will it still be able to generate hydro power at the end of the summer? Maybe, maybe not. My FIL has a water right for his little ranch, and his deliveries for this summer were suspended, so that the water could be diverted to…people. Unless there is a major change in climactic patterns, water conservation is going to be a big part of life in all of California. My guess is that it will affect agriculture more than townsfolk, since that is where most of the water goes, but there will be an impact. (Pretty much all of my FIL’s hobby rancher friends had no choice but to send their cattle off for slaughter.)

Overall, I could see this being a good decision, but I would advise OP to go visit before making a final decision.
anoop

Post by anoop »

The 2 big problems we have here are wildfires (which can impact air quality for weeks to months) and drought. Consider those carefully. But the bump in your compensation is huge! With the family on board, I’d have a hard time saying no, especially given the recent inflation. You didn’t say where you are now, I can’t say for sure if I’d do it.
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

I'd consider a 15 mile wide corridor along Hwy 49 from Placerville to Nevada City. The Sierra foothills are beautiful still even though they are now well developed in a lot of areas. Still close enough to get to Sacramento, Reno, or SFO airports if you need them and flights throughout the West and major hubs.

You might want to consider renting especially if you might not be there long term and if you want to live among large trees. Homeowners insurance in these areas is becoming very high cost.

Truckee and Tahoe are going to have a lot of Silicon Valley refugees in them (CA and NV sides) who can pay a lot for a house.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Maverick3320 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:51 pm "My property value has increased 250% over the past 12 years (since I purchased my home) while my property taxes have increased just 10% over the same timeframe."

"In my family's case, we receive a state subsidy toward health insurance that brings down our share of the cost of premiums to $0 for an HSA Bronze Plan..."

You're a millionaire (several times over?) that pays very little in property taxes and nothing for healthcare and received a state stimulus check last year. Your wife quit her job long ago and you work part of the year as a teacher.

Ron’s point is pretty much that there are a lot of people that love to hate on California because someone else told them it was bad. They usually don’t have a clue what they’re talking about. My experience in CA is similar to Ron’s. We pay very little in taxes, and even unsubsidized, my ACA plan is nearly the cheapest in the country. We live in a really, really nice place, near the ocean, with good weather, good neighbors, and a lot of things to do, as cheaply (or cheaper) than we could live anywhere else.

Most people’s experience is that it’s a nice place to live if you can afford the housing. Part of the reason the housing is so expensive is that people want to live here because it’s a nice place to live.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
JohnBDB

Post by JohnBDB »

I bought a short term rental on Hwy 49 Sierra foothills last year. It's beautiful and very forested. Fire insurance is high much more than Sacramento suburbs. I have California Fair Plan paying $3500 a year dwelling coverage 750K.
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

But for someone with a transient career, the costs of moving around are greater in California than in other states due to the lock in effect on property taxes and general attitudes regarding growth and development (both greenfield homes and higher/denser buildings in existing communities). Florida has a similar cap on property tax base value through Save our Homes (3% maximum growth or inflation, whichever is lower and property value portability) but Florida is generally pro-growth and you don't see the same attitudes regarding high rise condos or new subdivisions like California. This is changing and property values are going up above general inflation there.

The OP is at the income level and has the location preferences where they would do fine, but for others with different situations they need to decide whether to make the commitment to be Californians. Once you buy in you can live very inexpensively if you know how. But if you need to move around or move between states the transaction costs, taxes, and step up in basis will not be friendly.
AmateurBoulderer

Post by AmateurBoulderer »

I’d suggest you pass on this opportunity, because of the apparent cultural misfit.

You noted in your post that you hold strong opinions about “the culture”, and while the work might be fine, you’ll be living and raising a family in a culture that you’ve indicated makes you unhappy. This strikes me as a recipe for long-term dissatisfaction.

Perhaps a better path forward would be to perform a job search that would let you use some of your skills but keep you in an area where you’re more comfortable.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Maverick3320 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:51 pm
Ron Ronnerson wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:32 pm
asap wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:34 pm I've never been a big fan of California with their high taxes, traffic, and lets just say culture.

Easy. No.
Since this is a financial forum, I'll only address the part about taxes. It really does vary from case to case in terms of tax liability as California is not a high-tax state for everyone. Some specifics:

Sales tax exempts housing, groceries, services, utilities, insurance, travel, education, and items that are purchased used. For most people, these are the big items they spend money on in their budget.

Social security is not taxed.

Property taxes can get smaller and smaller over time, to the point of being negligible, if you can harness the system (Props 13 and 19) to your favor. My property value has increased 250% over the past 12 years (since I purchased my home) while my property taxes have increased just 10% over the same timeframe. My wife's grandmother pays $1k in property taxes on a house valued around $2m.

Home sales have a capital gains tax exclusion of $250k for single folks and $500k for married. There is a step-up in cost basis when one spouse passes away.

There are California rebates on purchase of certain electric cars.

The state provides additional subsidies toward health insurance on top of the federal one for those who purchase on the state health care exchange and qualify. Additionally, the subsidy cliff is replaced with a gradual slide and those with incomes up to 600% of the federal poverty level (as opposed to 400% in other states) can qualify for assistance. This can be a huge tax savings for some. In my family's case, we receive a state subsidy toward health insurance that brings down our share of the cost of premiums to $0 for an HSA Bronze Plan. Last year, we were paying $50/month for a gold plan.

There are programs available to provide discounts on rent and utility bills for those who meet requirements.

The cost of electricity can be moderate in some areas of the state. Instead of running air conditioning and heaters, using windows and fans can go a long way.

The state has been running substantial budget surpluses and has been issuing stimulus checks lately to most people. We received $1100 last year and expect to get something similar this year. Our income tax liability in California is a negative number.
"My property value has increased 250% over the past 12 years (since I purchased my home) while my property taxes have increased just 10% over the same timeframe."

I’m not sure I’d characterize it quite like you did but I would say that California has been good to us. Our net worth is around $1.7 million and property taxes are around $10,500 per year.

Our income taxes have been low in recent years due to the fact that I max out my retirement space. I contribute the full amount that I can to an HSA, 403b, 457b, two IRA accounts, and 10% of my salary goes toward a mandatory pension. This lowered our AGI to about $49k last year.

I received a stimulus check from California but I believe that most people in the state qualified for it. The governor’s website says two out of three Californians got the Golden State Stimulus. Here’s the link on that: https://www.gov.ca.gov/2022/05/12/gover ... f-package/

I have summers off because that’s a teacher’s schedule. My wife’s a stay-at-home parent but lots of families choose to have one parent stay at home when they have young kids at home. We live frugally to make things work.

By the way, my wife’s grandmother pays property taxes ten times less than ours despite living in a more expensive house. Her husband (my wife’s grandfather) recently passed away and her grandmother received a step-up in basis of $2 million on her home. Her social security checks are not taxed either. My point in posting earlier was that taxes can vary considerably based on specifics and people shouldn’t over-generalize. I stand by that.

EDIT: Fixed error of quoting the wrong poster in my response above. Sorry about that.
Last edited by Ron Ronnerson on Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

quantAndHold wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:12 pm
Maverick3320 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:51 pm "My property value has increased 250% over the past 12 years (since I purchased my home) while my property taxes have increased just 10% over the same timeframe."

Ron’s point is pretty much that there are a lot of people that love to hate on California because someone else told them it was bad. They usually don’t have a clue what they’re talking about. My experience in CA is similar to Ron’s. We pay very little in taxes, and even unsubsidized, my ACA plan is nearly the cheapest in the country. We live in a really, really nice place, near the ocean, with good weather, good neighbors, and a lot of things to do, as cheaply (or cheaper) than we could live anywhere else.

Most people’s experience is that it’s a nice place to live if you can afford the housing. Part of the reason the housing is so expensive is that people want to live here because it’s a nice place to live.
Yes, this exactly. Thank you.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:01 pm

I think the opposite is also true. I'm pretty certain there are more native Californians in my Utah neighborhood than there are native Utahans. None that I know would move back. Literally all my family and wife's family has moved out in the last ~15yrs and would never move back, and all of them like the California "culture" (but not some of the side effects of said "culture", as they were in LA and SF). But, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, California is not some homologous state and it's huge; if "culture" is the primary concern, your perspective may not be the majority but you can certainly find areas where you'll fit right in regardless of what "culture" means to you.

As a native Californian, I'd definitely consider it in OP's situation (although no chance wife and I would move back).
chassis

Post by chassis »

Look at Redding’s weather. It’s part of the hot Central Valley. Very hot.

I turned down a job offer in Northern California with a huge pay increase. I was told by the would-be employer “you will not be made whole on housing”. That killed the deal for me.

I defined being “made whole” as having a similar quality of living with regard to house size/quality/location and schools, while having the same or more disposable income. No way was that going to be possible. California housing prices are astronomical on an apples-for-apples basis compared with most of the rest of the country.

Having said that, I like California, at least as a tourist and business visitor. If your family is on board, and you can make the financial numbers work for you, go for it.
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

I would discard Redding and anything further than that as too much driving time.
Redding is 2 hours from the airport and the major medical centers, if you need to consider those things. I would!
Chico is a little closer to the towns your customers seem to be in. Maybe not enough.

I'd recommend these areas. Think gold country, foothills, forests, with good shops and restaurants but not crowded.

North of Sacramento - Auburn and Grass Valley / Nevada City
East of Sacramento - El Dorado Hills (the outer edge of Folsom) and Placerville (further out)
comfortable being all stock until age 40, now working towards 60-20-20 us-intl-bond
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:12 pm
Ron Ronnerson wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:01 pm

I think the opposite is also true. I'm pretty certain there are more native Californians in my Utah neighborhood than there are native Utahans. None that I know would move back. Literally all my family and wife's family has moved out in the last ~15yrs and would never move back, and all of them like the California "culture" (but not some of the side effects of said "culture", as they were in LA and SF). But, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, California is not some homologous state and it's huge; if "culture" is the primary concern, your perspective may not be the majority but you can certainly find areas where you'll fit right in regardless of what "culture" means to you.

As a native Californian, I'd definitely consider it in OP's situation (although no chance wife and I would move back).
I totally get that people vary in their preference of where to live. I was just focusing on the tax piece in this thread. Some people seem to assume that taxes are high in California. However, I think it's fairer to say that the tax structure is progressive and maybe even sort of quirky here rather than just label it as "high." I provided details on my situation as well as on my wife's grandmother to show that taxes aren't always so bad here for everyone. Over-generalizing can lead to seeing things differently from how they really are.
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

frugalecon wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:53 pm Based on the info OP provided, Redding does sound logical. I have family in Redding, and have visited frequently over the last thirty years, most recently in April. It appears to be growing steadily, and amenities of all kinds are more apparent. (Microbreweries, attractions like the Sundial Bridge (definitely check it out if you visit!), and then the booming marijuana dispensary businesses). It is near many outdoor things that I love, like Lassen National Park (has some great volcanic features; Mt. Lassen erupted spectacularly in the early part of the 20th century), the Trinity Alps, and not to far from the coast (where there is a cool respite from the scorching summer). Redding’s airport also has much better service than it did 30 years ago, particularly via United to their hub in SFO and to LAX, and Alaska up to PDX, not sure about SEA. A low cost carrier (Avelo) started service to Redding from SoCal. I believe United was going to add a flight to DEN, but I’m not sure that happened with the shortage of pilots for the regional carriers. Because Sacramento is so close, I usually just fly in and out of SMF; it is about 2 hours and 10 minutes to my FIL’s house.

So Redding does have a lot going for it. But the poster who mentioned meth does have a point. There is a lot of that. Lots of relatively low-paying service jobs, so the income distribution is going to limit the sort of development that goes on. No university, so nothing like that to serve as a hub. Definitely HOT in the summer, which can be a bit punishing. With your salary, maybe you will splurge on a pool. Assuming there is water to fill it. The drought is really quite severe. When I visited in April, Lake Shasta was at 38% capacity, at the end of the rainy season. Will it still be able to generate hydro power at the end of the summer? Maybe, maybe not. My FIL has a water right for his little ranch, and his deliveries for this summer were suspended, so that the water could be diverted to…people. Unless there is a major change in climactic patterns, water conservation is going to be a big part of life in all of California. My guess is that it will affect agriculture more than townsfolk, since that is where most of the water goes, but there will be an impact. (Pretty much all of my FIL’s hobby rancher friends had no choice but to send their cattle off for slaughter.)

Overall, I could see this being a good decision, but I would advise OP to go visit before making a final decision.
I think there are better places to live in No Cal than Redding. You named some of the drawbacks and they are significant.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Check out different towns. I’d look for wine country regions. There are some great towns North of Napa/Sonoma.

Don’t sell your current house for at least a year or two.

Good luck!
Death and taxes. Only one is under your control!
MJS

Post by MJS »

You can do a rough calculation of taxes at https://smartasset.com/taxes/california-tax-calculator
Note that your mortgage interest is deductible, and count your kids for the personal exemptions under Advanced.

The Sacramento California Temple is in Folsom, so there are lots of Utahans nearby. Culturally, it's not like LA.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F. Meditationes Sacrae.
Fat-Tailed Contagion

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion »

Make sure you take the security of you and your family seriously.

Many areas are exploding with crime.

Do your due diligence.
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor (75/25 - 50/50 - 25/75)