PC Build Thread - 2020... and beyond!!!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lazydavid

Re: PC Build Thread - 2020... and beyond!!!

Post by lazydavid »

Marseille07 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:15 pm Any thoughts on hosting HDDs inside of a PC vs buying enclosures and connecting them via USB?

I've been doing the former for years, but thinking it might make sense to do the latter as HDDs are more portable sitting outside than inside. This also means my next PC doesn't have to be a tall tower.
How many drives are we talking? Unless you need a ton of them, it shouldn't dictate a full-tower case--and if you do need a ton of them, chances are you want them attached to a RAID controller, so they'd have to be internal unless you wanted to go really high-end. On the other extreme, earlier this year I built a server out of an Intel NUC. It has two drives (one M.2 and one 2.5") in an enclosure with a total volume of half a liter.
tortoise84

Post by tortoise84 »

Marseille07 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:15 pm Any thoughts on hosting HDDs inside of a PC vs buying enclosures and connecting them via USB?

I've been doing the former for years, but thinking it might make sense to do the latter as HDDs are more portable sitting outside than inside. This also means my next PC doesn't have to be a tall tower.

The downsides are USB connectivity might be less stable than SATA, can get unplugged while in use, more prone to damage etc etc?
There's a thing called USB Attached SCSI Protocol (UASP) incorporated in the USB 3.0 standard that allows USB HDDs to be used at pretty much full speed. Note that the Wikipedia page says there may be issues with UASP in some Linux distributions.

There are also power supply issues. Each 3.5" USB HDD enclosure will need its own power adapter. A single 2.5" USB HDD enclosure can be powered off the USB port, but for any more than that, you should really use external power adapters.

Have you considered just using network file sharing? That way, you can just leave your HDDs in your Linux PC case and setup Samba (SMB Protocol) on it to share the files with your Windows laptop. Then the HDD format (ext4, NTFS, etc) will not matter. A Wi-Fi network will work okay, but wired Ethernet will be much more stable and faster.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ That's what I'm doing. I have an external USB SSD connected to my Linux PC and share the drive with my Win 10 PC over samba. I also share the SDD with my Win 10 laptop.

I also agree that the HDD power should be supplied from a power adapter.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:24 am How many drives are we talking? Unless you need a ton of them, it shouldn't dictate a full-tower case--and if you do need a ton of them, chances are you want them attached to a RAID controller, so they'd have to be internal unless you wanted to go really high-end. On the other extreme, earlier this year I built a server out of an Intel NUC. It has two drives (one M.2 and one 2.5") in an enclosure with a total volume of half a liter.
Well, I used to have 4 HDDs in my tower; now I just have 3, one OS HDD and 2 data disks. In this context I'm talking about extracting the 2 data disks while leaving the OS disk inside the tower.

Thanks for Intel NUC, something like this is what I'm looking for my next computer.
US & FM (5% seed) | 300K Cash
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

tortoise84 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:05 am There's a thing called USB Attached SCSI Protocol (UASP) incorporated in the USB 3.0 standard that allows USB HDDs to be used at pretty much full speed. Note that the Wikipedia page says there may be issues with UASP in some Linux distributions.

There are also power supply issues. Each 3.5" USB HDD enclosure will need its own power adapter. A single 2.5" USB HDD enclosure can be powered off the USB port, but for any more than that, you should really use external power adapters.

Have you considered just using network file sharing? That way, you can just leave your HDDs in your Linux PC case and setup Samba (SMB Protocol) on it to share the files with your Windows laptop. Then the HDD format (ext4, NTFS, etc) will not matter. A Wi-Fi network will work okay, but wired Ethernet will be much more stable and faster.
Thank you. I hadn't thought of NAS but I see that it might be a very good option provided I can set up easily at a hotel or something like that.

I'm not exactly trying to share the data though. I just need my HDD be available on the machine I'm using at the moment, be it a Ubuntu PC or a Windows laptop.

As far as power, I ordered an enclosure and I believe it comes with an adapter. We'll see if this is true :-D
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:56 am Well, I used to have 4 HDDs in my tower; now I just have 3, one OS HDD and 2 data disks. In this context I'm talking about extracting the 2 data disks while leaving the OS disk inside the tower.
Here's a very small Mini ITX case that can take two 3.5" or three 2.5" HDDs. Then you can have 1-2 M.2 SSDs depending on your motherboard.
https://www.newegg.com/black-cooler-mas ... 6811119407

If you can get by with just one 3.5" and up to two 2.5" drives (plus the motherboard), here's the tiny version of my son's fantastic Torrent case:
https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-de ... 6811352153

Single 180mm fan up front (plus two optional 140mm on the bottom) makes it both cool and quiet.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:21 am
Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:56 am Well, I used to have 4 HDDs in my tower; now I just have 3, one OS HDD and 2 data disks. In this context I'm talking about extracting the 2 data disks while leaving the OS disk inside the tower.
Here's a very small Mini ITX case that can take two 3.5" or three 2.5" HDDs. Then you can have 1-2 M.2 SSDs depending on your motherboard.
https://www.newegg.com/black-cooler-mas ... 6811119407

If you can get by with just one 3.5" and up to two 2.5" drives (plus the motherboard), here's the tiny version of my son's fantastic Torrent case:
https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-de ... 6811352153

Single 180mm fan up front (plus two optional 140mm on the bottom) makes it both cool and quiet.
Thank you. Well, one HDD would be fine to just carry the OS (could be SSD too) if I use enclosures for my data disks. Or perhaps a NAS works too, if it is easy to set up at the hotel or AirBnB type situations in which I might not have full control of the network.

I could also do a hybrid approach where I use a NAS at home and an enclosure while traveling. An enclosure does have to account for different filesystem types though, such as ext4 vs NTFS. I run Ubuntu on PC but Windows 10 on laptop.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:29 am Thank you. Well, one HDD would be fine to just carry the OS (could be SSD too) if I use enclosures for my data disks. Or perhaps a NAS works too, if it is easy to set up at the hotel or AirBnB type situations in which I might not have full control of the network.
Again, you can put one or two SSDs directly on the motherboard, and use one of them for the OS. So you may not need as many "HDD cages" as you think.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:50 am
Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:29 am Thank you. Well, one HDD would be fine to just carry the OS (could be SSD too) if I use enclosures for my data disks. Or perhaps a NAS works too, if it is easy to set up at the hotel or AirBnB type situations in which I might not have full control of the network.
Again, you can put one or two SSDs directly on the motherboard, and use one of them for the OS. So you may not need as many "HDD cages" as you think.
I think we're on the same page. I don't have immediate plans to upgrade my PC, but that's what I'd do for my next computer.
tortoise84

Post by tortoise84 »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:03 am Thank you. I hadn't thought of NAS but I see that it might be a very good option provided I can set up easily at a hotel or something like that.

I'm not exactly trying to share the data though. I just need my HDD be available on the machine I'm using at the moment, be it a Ubuntu PC or a Windows laptop.

As far as power, I ordered an enclosure and I believe it comes with an adapter. We'll see if this is true :-D
Oh I wasn't talking about a NAS. I was just talking about sharing files over a network. A NAS wouldn't be good in your use case because it DOES require that you have control of the network setup, which would be hard or not recommended at a hotel for security reasons.

Yes, a USB enclosure would probably be your best bet so that you can plug it into different PCs and take it with you. I used to do that with a 2TB 2.5" USB HDD and a 1TB NVMe SSD USB enclosure, but later I just installed a 2TB 2.5" SATA SSD inside my laptop so that I wouldn't have to carry any more external devices. I posted about it here: viewtopic.php?p=6384856#p6384856
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

tortoise84 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:03 am Oh I wasn't talking about a NAS. I was just talking about sharing files over a network. A NAS wouldn't be good in your use case because it DOES require that you have control of the network setup, which would be hard or not recommended at a hotel for security reasons.

Yes, a USB enclosure would probably be your best bet so that you can plug it into different PCs and take it with you. I used to do that with a 2TB 2.5" USB HDD and a 1TB NVMe SSD USB enclosure, but later I just installed a 2TB 2.5" SATA SSD inside my laptop so that I wouldn't have to carry any more external devices. I posted about it here: viewtopic.php?p=6384856#p6384856
Thanks, hopefully the enclosure route works the best. It is arriving this weekend.

Installing a drive works if I primarily use my laptop; in my case though, I primarily use a PC running Ubuntu. I still have to solve the filesystem issue, my plan is to see how well Windows can mount ext4. If not well, I have to format my data disks as NTFS.
Topic Author
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

For my fellow Noctua fans (heh) with compact cases, they just released a more compact dual-tower cooler with a 145mm vertical clearance:

https://noctua.at/en/nh-d12l

As you might expect, reviews have been positive:

Elevated Systems Review
Machines & More Review

I just love all the little engineering and design touches Noctua puts into their products. They're absolutely worth the price premium in my opinion.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

tortoise84 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:05 am Have you considered just using network file sharing? That way, you can just leave your HDDs in your Linux PC case and setup Samba (SMB Protocol) on it to share the files with your Windows laptop. Then the HDD format (ext4, NTFS, etc) will not matter. A Wi-Fi network will work okay, but wired Ethernet will be much more stable and faster.
I think the HDD filesystem format still matters. If I set up Samba on Ubuntu, the filenames are still bound by ext4's filename conventions. If I connect to the Samba share from Windows and fetch files, invalid filenames can't be downloaded onto NTFS.

That said, I think I can live with most issues; two outstanding issues I have are:

a) I have a local wiki system running on Apache and back up the data files onto the data drive. If I format the data drive as NTFS and retrieve the wiki data from this drive, I lose the permission bits as everything becomes 777 or 700 (I do not know if this actually poses issues if I run Apache & wiki this way).

b) Rsyncing between 2 NTFS drives might not work as well as ext4 (not yet tested).
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

A thought - If those files aren't going to be used in an NTFS drive, i.e. the drive is only for storage, why not put everything into a single compressed file archive, e.g. gzip? I highly doubt the archive file internals will be touched by the change in OS.

Compress your files into a gzip archive. Copy that file to the NTFS drive. You don't care what the permissions of the gzip file itself are.

To restore, copy to gzip file back to Linux and extract as usual.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:42 pm
tortoise84 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:05 am Have you considered just using network file sharing? That way, you can just leave your HDDs in your Linux PC case and setup Samba (SMB Protocol) on it to share the files with your Windows laptop. Then the HDD format (ext4, NTFS, etc) will not matter. A Wi-Fi network will work okay, but wired Ethernet will be much more stable and faster.
I think the HDD filesystem format still matters. If I set up Samba on Ubuntu, the filenames are still bound by ext4's filename conventions. If I connect to the Samba share from Windows and fetch files, invalid filenames can't be downloaded onto NTFS.

That said, I think I can live with most issues; two outstanding issues I have are:

a) I have a local wiki system running on Apache and back up the data files onto the data drive. If I format the data drive as NTFS and retrieve the wiki data from this drive, I lose the permission bits as everything becomes 777 or 700 (I do not know if this actually poses issues if I run Apache & wiki this way).

b) Rsyncing between 2 NTFS drives might not work as well as ext4 (not yet tested).
What kind of invalid file name issues are you running into? Could be you just need to change some settings on your Samba server.

https://serverfault.com/questions/12461 ... -filenames
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

finite_difference wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:56 pm

What kind of invalid file name issues are you running into? Could be you just need to change some settings on your Samba server.

I'm talking about something like this, where ext4 allows : * ? in filenames whereas NTFS does not: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1150258 ... automatica

If I host these files on Samba + ext4 and try to download from Windows NTFS, I would imagine that'd fail when you fetch them.

I can format the data disk as NTFS and rename files, that part isn't that big of a deal. My concern is if I have a wiki data folder on NTFS with permissions gone, and restore from the backup location onto ext4 and run Apache.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:52 pm A thought - If those files aren't going to be used in an NTFS drive, i.e. the drive is only for storage, why not put everything into a single compressed file archive, e.g. gzip? I highly doubt the archive file internals will be touched by the change in OS.

Compress your files into a gzip archive. Copy that file to the NTFS drive. You don't care what the permissions of the gzip file itself are.

To restore, copy to gzip file back to Linux and extract as usual.
Thank you. This would solve my wiki data back up problem!

So the only issue outstanding is rsync between two NTFS formatted drives on Ubuntu.
finite_difference

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:06 pm
finite_difference wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:56 pm

I'm talking about something like this, where ext4 allows : * ? in filenames whereas NTFS does not: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1150258 ... automatica

If I host these files on Samba + ext4 and try to download from Windows NTFS, I would imagine that'd fail when you fetch them.

I can format the data disk as NTFS and rename files, that part isn't that big of a deal. My concern is if I have a wiki data folder on NTFS with permissions gone, and restore from the backup location onto ext4 and run Apache.
Although permitted, why on Earth would you use * and ? in your file names?
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

finite_difference wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:18 pm Although permitted, why on Earth would you use * and ? in your file names?
I have a PDF copy of this book, for example: https://www.amazon.com/Who-Ate-Cheese-J ... 143571220X

Also, when I was testing copying, I noticed some files were timestamped like HH:MM:SS by a screenshot-taking application.

It's not that I purposely name them, but these things creep in over time.
finite_difference

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:21 pm
finite_difference wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:18 pm Although permitted, why on Earth would you use * and ? in your file names?
I have a PDF copy of this book, for example: https://www.amazon.com/Who-Ate-Cheese-J ... 143571220X

Also, when I was testing copying, I noticed some files were timestamped like HH:MM:SS by a screenshot-taking application.

Okay better than a *. Samba should allow you to download those files. I think it just remaps them as needed. Have you tried it?
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

finite_difference wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:24 pm Okay better than a *. Samba should allow you to download those files. I think it just remaps them as needed. Have you tried it?
I have not. Samba would solve a different use case for me; my goal here is to be able to access my data drive, both from an Ubuntu PC and a Windows laptop, even when I'm out of town.

I've been restoring ext4 all day as I had two blockers to move forward with NTFS (wiki data backup and rsync); LadyGeek's solution would solve the wiki data situation, I will try rsync tonight.

And my enclosure just arrived, I can also try reading ext4 from my Windows laptop as well.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:21 pm

Why don't you run a script to remove / replace the illegal file characters? Make it part of your backup / restore scripts and you're all set. Google "remove invalid characters from filenames".

You could also urlencode / urldecode the filenames. For example:

Code: Select all

Who Ate My Cheese?
Becomes:

Who%20Ate%20My%20Cheese%3F
A good website: URL Encode and Decode - Online
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:43 pm Why don't you run a script to remove / replace the illegal file characters? Make it part of your backup / restore scripts and you're all set. Google "remove invalid characters from filenames".

You could also urlencode / urldecode the filenames. For example:

Who Ate My Cheese?
Becomes:

Who%20Ate%20My%20Cheese%3F
A good website: URL Encode and Decode - Online
I was doing that last night actually, using pax: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1150258 ... automatica. What's nice about this is that instead of skipping invalid filenames, it renames & copies.

Thanks again for the wiki back up solution, I think gzip would work just fine for this purpose.

EDIT: rsync seems to work just fine as far as I briefly tested locally between 2 NTFS partitions.

The only issue outstanding, though not a huge deal, is that my Python scripts & modules would get 700 permission. I know some library files should be 644 not 700 but I don't think this is the end of the world.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Turned out I didn't need to use the enclosure for testing, I could just use my USB stick.

I really hate this solution, but it is dawning on me that I need to use multiple partitions: one ext4 partition for 50GB of data (my homedir, wiki data and work related files), one NTFS partition for terabytes of remaining data.

Zipping up homedir is unrealistic because it is around 8GB and there are lots of cache files / dot directories; this is where I just want to rsync away. But I don't want to rsync my homedir to NTFS, lose all the permissions (including Python scripts) which would cause issues when I restore them from NTFS.

So yeah, as much as I dislike this, I think I need to have a tiny ext4 partition and the rest being NTFS. Worst comes worst, this tool provides read-only access to ext4 on Windows: https://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

I also spent some time playing with this, but turned out this requires some Windows Insider build: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandl ... and-wsl-2/. Although it does look like Windows will eventually support ext4 if you use WSL2.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

I'm exchanging my enclosure, as some sticky substance is on the power adapter (seems like the sticky side of velcro or something) and doesn't come off.

Since Windows WSL2 appears to *eventually* support ext4, I'm just going to shove "volatile" bits (my homedir, wiki data & work related files) in one directory and keep ext4. This way, it is easy to split off the volatile bits and format the rest of my disk as NTFS if necessary. But I'm banking on eventually being able to mount ext4 via WSL2.
Topic Author
Independent George

Gamers Nexus has a great, long video on power supplies and how they deal with transient power spikes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRyyCsuHFQ

This was posted in anticipation of the upcoming generation of Nvidia cards, which are reportedly overclocked like crazy and draw massive amounts of power. This is really good information for those planning to upgrade - I generally don't buy top-end, and planned to skip this generation, but if Nvidia really is trying to push the power envelope this much (and that's not confirmed yet), this might be enough to dissuade me.
leland

Post by leland »

Anyone here running a fanless / passively cooled build? It's been a while since I've built myself a new system, and I think this fall/winter is when I want to take the plunge. I'm thinking of trying for a 5700G/5600G and fanless in whatever the smallest footprint possible is to be my personal productivity machine, seeking some ideas and inspiration.
Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

leland wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:39 pm Anyone here running a fanless / passively cooled build?
My rig isn't fanless, but I'm a stickler for silence and run as few fans as I can as slowly as possible.

Case: Fractal Design Define 7 compact (extremely well-built and naturally sound insulated)
Case Fans: I replaced the stock fans with Noctuas. (2 in, 1 out. They move good air and are inaudible)
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Fanless 700 (truly fanless and crazy awesome for an efficient silent build)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S (I have a similar air cooler but plan to upgrade to this soon)
Hard drives: all SSDs with no moving parts

With that core setup, just plug in any motherboard without its own fan (like the B550 or new X570s), an efficient CPU to avoid excess heat (I'm partial to the Ryzen 5 5600X), and whatever GPU you can get your hands on that has a zero-RPM mode when temps are low. Your build will be blissfully silent. My dream GPU is the Asus Noctua-edition 3070 if I could ever find one.
leland

Post by leland »

Tyler9000 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:38 pm
leland wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:39 pm Anyone here running a fanless / passively cooled build?
My rig isn't fanless, but I'm a stickler for silence and run as few fans as I can as slowly as possible.
Thanks for the detailed build list. That's definitely an option for me. And the likely reality. Although I'm going to keep pressing for no fans at all if I can. Relatively bigger case with slow moving fans is probably the default plan. Probably a bit cheaper, too.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

leland wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:41 pm Thanks for the detailed build list. That's definitely an option for me. And the likely reality. Although I'm going to keep pressing for no fans at all if I can. Relatively bigger case with slow moving fans is probably the default plan. Probably a bit cheaper, too.
My son's Fractal Design Torrent is exceedingly quiet once we tuned the fan curve. It has two giant 180mm fans in the front, and three 140s in the floor. They can move a ton of air at very low RPM. They're noisy at full tilt, but there's never a need for that. He's running a 5800X with a Noctua U12A cooler, and a Seasonic PRIME 850w power supply that has a fan, but doesn't need to use it.
Topic Author
Independent George

leland wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:39 pm Anyone here running a fanless / passively cooled build? It's been a while since I've built myself a new system, and I think this fall/winter is when I want to take the plunge. I'm thinking of trying for a 5700G/5600G and fanless in whatever the smallest footprint possible is to be my personal productivity machine, seeking some ideas and inspiration.
Balancing passive cooling and a small footprint might be a problem The Noctua NH-P1 is the gold standard passive cooler, but in order to cool that much, it needs a lot of surface area. The NH-L9a is the go-to heatsink for small form factor builds, but a small heatsink means higher fans speeds are needed to cool it.

I run a custom loop watercooling rig, which is dead silent but is quite expensive and takes up a lot of space in an ATX mid-tower. You can build them smaller, especially if you skip the GPU and use integrated graphics only, but working in a SFF case is not for the faint of heart even without the GPU.