How to rent a house for two months ?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
RoadThunder

How to rent a house for two months ?

Post by RoadThunder »

Looking for any experience on best way to find short term home rentals. We’re considering trying out different retirement locations for two months at a time. Also have a cat and dog.
AlwaysLearningMore

Re: How to rent a house for two months ?

Post by AlwaysLearningMore »

Some Airbnb take pets. For trying out a new city, it might be an option.
Retirement is best when you have a lot to live on, and a lot to live for.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

My SIL has been a traveling nurse since April '20. They have moved their family (my brother, SIL, and 2 teenage daughters) about 10 times since then, moving whenever and wherever they need her to work. They've done it all through AirBnB.
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover »

We are doing the same thing, using AirBnBs. One bonus is in many places if you stay 30 days or more you get a big discount on the nightly rate and don't have to pay the occupancy tax. Stay 29 and you're hit with it. So cheaper overall to stay 30, 31, 32, 33 or even 34 days than 29 days.
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:49 pm My SIL has been a traveling nurse since April '20. They have moved their family (my brother, SIL, and 2 teenage daughters) about 10 times since then, moving whenever and wherever they need her to work. They've done it all through AirBnB.
How are your neices handling the frequent moves, with school, friendships and all?
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Airbnb and short term rentals via real estate agents. Some agents own their own rental properties or have a handle on available properties for rent.
nj123

Post by nj123 »

We travel full time and often ask no pets Airbnbs if they will take our 35lbs dog. 75% agree.

You need to stay 28+ days to get best Airbnb rate and 30+ days to avoid occupancy tax.

Book your Airbnb stays using Delta or British Airways portals to get miles.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

GeraniumLover wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:56 pm
stoptothink wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:49 pm My SIL has been a traveling nurse since April '20. They have moved their family (my brother, SIL, and 2 teenage daughters) about 10 times since then, moving whenever and wherever they need her to work. They've done it all through AirBnB.
How are your neices handling the frequent moves, with school, friendships and all?
Not good, to say the least. It is a sad situation, but we (my wife and I, and my parents) have vowed to stay out of it.

My brother was in oil & gas for over a decade until he was laid off April '20 (the reason SIL started to look at higher-paying traveling nurse gigs). He has not worked a day since. Before she started this, he had moved them probably a dozen times. My nieces have never had roots and never developed any real (in person) relationships - they don't know any different.