Best examples of rock 'n roll music genre ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
stoptothink

Re: Best examples of rock 'n roll music genre ?

Post by stoptothink »

JupiterJones wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:24 pm
First of all, I"m kicking myself for not also thinking of Heart. Good call. Apart from Ronstadt, Joplin, and Grace Slick, my list was a bit too much of a dude-fest. And yes, "Crazy on You" would be the one to go with. "Barracuda" is a strong candidate, but it doesn't have that awesome acoustic intro.
Heart is one of my favorite bands ever. Ironically, "Crazy on You" and "Barracuda" are probably my two least favorite among their hits.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

shunkman wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:50 pm The Doors.
+1, gotta have Light My Fire or even The End.
The omission of The Doors would be unconscionable.
Topic Author
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

BernardShakey wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:02 pm I picked these 30 songs as a representation
[...]
Edits ??
First of all, I"m kicking myself for not also thinking of Heart. Good call. Apart from Ronstadt, Joplin, and Grace Slick, my list was a bit too much of a dude-fest. And yes, "Crazy on You" would be the one to go with. "Barracuda" is a strong candidate, but it doesn't have that awesome acoustic intro.

So, edits? Well, ignoring that you have waaaay too much Stones on there (JJ says, ducking to avoid the flying objects being hurled his way):
  • Needs Boston. Anything from the first album will do. Throw a dart.
  • I'd get rid of "American Pie". It's about rock-and-roll, but it is not itself an example of rock-and-roll.
  • For the Queen selection, FBG is not bad, but may I suggest "Keep Yourself Alive"? Although it might be interesting to go with "Crazy Little Thing Called Love", due to the early rock-and-roll influence, and despite the fact that it's not really representative of the band.
  • As much as I love "Immigrant Song", the obvious choice for Zep has got to be "Rock and Roll", eh? If not that, then tracks like "Black Dog", "Heartbreaker", and "Good Times, Bad Times" are arguably more rock-and-roll than "Immigrant". Heck, if you got rid of two of the Stones picks you'd have room for two more Led Zeppelins! :twisted:
  • Similarly, "Take it Easy" is a brilliant song, but it's a bit folky/pop. If you want rockin' Eagles, I'd favor "Already Gone", "One of These Nights", or "Life in the Fast Lane". Heck, you could even go with "Hotel California". Sure, it's more of a yacht-rock reggae kinda thing, but holy cow... those guitar solos!
Anyway, I love this thread. Thanks for starting it!
Yeah, I agree with your Zeppelin adds. For Queen, I like your suggestions, though I was leaning toward "Killer Queen" instead of FBG. I felt like the Eagles needed representation but Hotel California was so obvious and not my favorite. It's a challenge to pick 20-30 songs that really captures the genre. I'm curious to see how my kids react. I won't tell them that I'm observing their reactions.
An important key to investing is having a well-calibrated sense of your future regret.
Topic Author
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:44 pm
Heart is one of my favorite bands ever. Ironically, "Crazy on You" and "Barracuda" are probably my two least favorite among their hits.
Fair enough. But the Wilson sisters really rock no matter your favorites! I think Ann's voice might be the best female hard rock voice out there. Granted I'm not as familiar with the last couple decades.
An important key to investing is having a well-calibrated sense of your future regret.
Pixafari

Post by Pixafari »

BernardShakey wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:02 pm OP here. Thanks for all the examples. Lots of stuff reminded me to go back and listen again.

I picked these 30 songs as a representation, obviously leaning toward popular stuff. Will share with my kids this weekend when they're home (kind of play it in the background out in yard) and see what reaction I get:

Jailhouse Rock - Elvis Presley
Baba O’Reilly - The Who
Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen
I Can’t Get No Satisfaction - Rolling Stones
Crazy on You - Heart
Up on Cripple Creek - The Band
Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
Take Another Piece of My Heart - Janis Joplin
Southern Man - Neil Young
American Pie - Don McLean
Give Me One Reason - Tracy Chapman
Old Time Rock ’N Roll - Bob Seger
Burnin’ Down the House - Talking Heads
Rock the Casbah - The Clash
Ball and Chain - Social Distortion
Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry
Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones
Beast of Burden - Rolling Stones
All My Lovin’ - Beatles
I Wanna Hold Your Hand - Beatles
Rock You Like a Hurricane - Scorpions
Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix
Sweet Child O’ Mine - Guns N’ Roses
Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin
Sultan of Swing - Dire Straits
Fat-Bottomed Girls - Queen
Take It Easy - Eagles
I Love Rock N’ Roll - Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
Back in Black - AC/DC

Edits ??
Insert Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd after Southern Man - Neil Young to, of course, be fair and balanced. Also Free Bird is a must.
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

BernardShakey wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:17 pm
Fair enough. But the Wilson sisters really rock no matter your favorites! I think Ann's voice might be the best female hard rock voice out there. Granted I'm not as familiar with the last couple decades.

If you haven't heard/seen it, I highly recommend that you watch/listen to Heart's rendition of "Stairway to Heaven." It literally gave me shivers...
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Unfortunately, most of my favorite music is from the 70's, and I really can't count Paul Simon, Gordon Lightfoot, Harry Chapin, or Paul McCartney as "rock 'n' roll", but here are some of my favorites from that genre, in no particular order.

Sly & The Family Stone "Dance To The Music"
BTO "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet", "Takin' Care of Business"
Creedence Clearwater Revival "Travelin' Band"
Grand Funk Railroad "I'm Your Captain/Closer to Home", "Footstompin' Music", "Rock 'n' Roll Soul"
The Guess Who "American Woman"
Queen "We Will Rock You"
The Moody Blues "I'm Just a Singer in a Rock 'n' Roll Band", "Ride My See-Saw"
Lynyrd Skynyrd "Free Bird", "Sweet Home Alabama"
Deep Purple "Smoke on the Water"
Yes "Roundabout"
Led Zeppelin "Black Dog"
Edgar Winter Group "Frankenstein"
Billy Preston "Outa-Space"
Elton John "Pinball Wizard", "Saturday Night's All Right For Fighting"
The Rolling Stones "Jumping Jack Flash", "Honky Tonk Women"
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:44 pm Heart is one of my favorite bands ever. Ironically, "Crazy on You" and "Barracuda" are probably my two least favorite among their hits.
I think you're right, although Pat Benatar gives her a solid run for the money.

Which reminds me: Early Pat Benatar could easily go on any of these lists. "Heartbreaker", "Treat Me Right", etc.
"All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again."
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

Mystery Achievement - The Pretenders
notBobToo

Post by notBobToo »

Bklmt2000

Post by Bklmt2000 »

Motorhead, original lineup: Lemmy Kilmister, "Fast" Eddie Clark, and "Filthy Animal" Phil Taylor.

As the man Lemmy himself said, "We are Motorhead, and we play rock and roll."
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Colorado13 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:09 am

If you haven't heard/seen it, I highly recommend that you watch/listen to Heart's rendition of "Stairway to Heaven." It literally gave me shivers...
I love female rock leads that can belt, Ann Wilson may be the best ever. My wife and kids are so tired of me listening to their cover of "Stairway to Heaven" (definitely not one of my favorite Zeppelin songs) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFxOaDeJmXk 4:55 on is breathtaking.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

stoptothink wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:18 pm I love female rock leads that can belt, Ann Wilson may be the best ever. My wife and kids are so tired of me listening to their cover of "Stairway to Heaven" (definitely not one of my favorite Zeppelin songs) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFxOaDeJmXk 4:55 on is breathtaking.
I haven’t listened to much Heart, only their Top 40 hits way back when, perhaps I should. But in my book Joplin and Slick were the preeminent female rockers, they could really belt it out. Ronstadt rates up there too.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Since your kids like the Beatles, I suggest trying some Moody Blues on them. “Knights in White Satin” and “Tuesday Afternoon” to start, and gradually ascend to the entirety of the “In Search of the Lost Chord” album.

If your kids appreciate that, then they are keepers; no need to return them to the factory for repair.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
island

Post by island »

heywhoathere wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:30 pm Maybe a bit of a counter-opinion, but I'd recommend throwing in some examples that were actually released after your kids were born :)

I listen to a ton of rock/metal, and while I respect most of the artists posted in this thread, I would never intentionally seek out and listen to many of them due to how dated they sound. Some pretty 'common' recommendations for modern rock could include:

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard
Swans
The Strokes
Polyphia (Instrumentals)
Fun thread I've only had time to skim,but will return to.

Your post caught my eye though. interesting, and I would love to know what sounds dated to you and why? Thanks.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

I don't love or hate Heart, but have to agree Ann Wilson has a great voice.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

AerialWombat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:45 pm Since your kids like the Beatles, I suggest trying some Moody Blues on them. “Knights in White Satin” and “Tuesday Afternoon” to start, and gradually ascend to the entirety of the “In Search of the Lost Chord” album.

If your kids appreciate that, then they are keepers; no need to return them to the factory for repair.
I remember sticking the headphones on and listening to my older sister's Moody Blues albums while home from Junior High sick with the flu. I listened to In Search of the Lost Chord, A Question of Balance, and On the Threshold of a Dream non-stop. All are great. You can really go on a journey with those. About 20 years later I went to see them in concert, and then again a couple years after that. Their live performances sound just like their studio albums. Their sound engineering is great and their live performances aren't sloppy like what you sometimes get with some other famous rock bands.
heywhoathere

Post by heywhoathere »

island wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:03 pm
heywhoathere wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:30 pm Maybe a bit of a counter-opinion, but I'd recommend throwing in some examples that were actually released after your kids were born :)

I listen to a ton of rock/metal, and while I respect most of the artists posted in this thread, I would never intentionally seek out and listen to many of them due to how dated they sound. Some pretty 'common' recommendations for modern rock could include:

Swans
The Strokes
Polyphia (Instrumentals)

Your post caught my eye though. interesting, and I would love to know what sounds dated to you and why? Thanks.
So obviously music is mostly subjective and there's no way to "prove" that something sounds dated - but the foundational things like the song structure, instrumentation, production quality, lyrical content, and the overall "style" is dated to me. Listening to most artists posted, I'm acutely aware that I'm listening to something that's from the 60s or 70s. That doesn't mean any of it is bad by any means, just that it's been iterated upon so much over the decades.

I'm probably much younger than most people posting in this thread, and I think mamster said it best earlier:
mamster wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:08 pm My kid (18) is a big rock fan, but there's something I would keep in mind: To a kid born in the 90s, bands that emerged in the 60s may always sound like the way music from the 30s sounds to us.
There's definitely stuff that I think can hold up well to younger/modern listeners. Off the top of my head I can think of bands like Black Sabbath, King Crimson, and Judas Priest.

And now that I mention King Crimson, I scrolled through the rest of the thread and realized that they haven't been mentioned at all! In the Court of the Crimson King is required listening IMO
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

heywhoathere wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:09 pm
island wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:03 pm

Swans
The Strokes
Polyphia (Instrumentals)

So obviously music is mostly subjective and there's no way to "prove" that something sounds dated - but the foundational things like the song structure, instrumentation, production quality, lyrical content, and the overall "style" is dated to me. Listening to most artists posted, I'm acutely aware that I'm listening to something that's from the 60s or 70s. That doesn't mean any of it is bad by any means, just that it's been iterated upon so much over the decades.

I'm probably much younger than most people posting in this thread, and I think mamster said it best earlier:
mamster wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:08 pm My kid (18) is a big rock fan, but there's something I would keep in mind: To a kid born in the 90s, bands that emerged in the 60s may always sound like the way music from the 30s sounds to us.
There's definitely stuff that I think can hold up well to younger/modern listeners. Off the top of my head I can think of bands like Black Sabbath, King Crimson, and Judas Priest.

And now that I mention King Crimson, I scrolled through the rest of the thread and realized that they haven't been mentioned at all! In the Court of the Crimson King is required listening IMO
RE music from the 30s: one difference is that recordings didn't really become high fidelity until around the 1950s. If you listen to music recorded in the 30s, it still has scratches and pops and other artifacts from early recording. The stuff recorded in the 1950s can be indistinguishable from something recorded yesterday in terms of sound quality.

I was born in the 80s and was in a Led Zeppelin cover band in high school that played a couple times in high school events/battle of the bands, and the music was certainly considered "cool" (even though I personally wasn't :P ).
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:00 pm
AerialWombat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:45 pm Since your kids like the Beatles, I suggest trying some Moody Blues on them. “Knights in White Satin” and “Tuesday Afternoon” to start, and gradually ascend to the entirety of the “In Search of the Lost Chord” album.

I remember sticking the headphones on and listening to my older sister's Moody Blues albums while home from Junior High sick with the flu. I listened to In Search of the Lost Chord, A Question of Balance, and On the Threshold of a Dream non-stop. All are great. You can really go on a journey with those. About 20 years later I went to see them in concert, and then again a couple years after that. Their live performances sound just like their studio albums. Their sound engineering is great and their live performances aren't sloppy like what you sometimes get with some other famous rock bands.
Totally agree. I only got to see them once in person, and it was a great show. I will forever regret not being able to see them live at Red Rocks.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

AerialWombat wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:45 pm Since your kids like the Beatles, I suggest trying some Moody Blues on them.
Or, for that matter, how about ELO?

The band was strongly influenced by The Beatles, and also quite a bit by Roy Orbison and Chuck Berry. (No coincidence that one of their early hits was a cover of Roll Over Beethoven, and that Jeff Lynne eventually produced and played with both Orbison and George Harrison.)
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

BernardShakey wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:02 pm Jailhouse Rock - Elvis Presley
Baba O’Reilly - The Who
Crazy on You - Heart
All My Lovin’ - Beatles
Take It Easy - Eagles
Back in Black - AC/DC

Edits ??
You wouldn't want to miss the chance to let them hear the Everly Brothers. Absolutley amazing harmonies and huge influences - right up until today.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

BernardShakey wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:02 pm OP here. Thanks for all the examples. Lots of stuff reminded me to go back and listen again.

I picked these 30 songs as a representation, obviously leaning toward popular stuff. Will share with my kids this weekend when they're home (kind of play it in the background out in yard) and see what reaction I get:

Baba O’Reilly - The Who
Crazy on You - Heart
All My Lovin’ - Beatles
Take It Easy - Eagles
Back in Black - AC/DC

Edits ??
The Kinks You Really Got me has to be on there..the distorted guitar sound opened the door to heavy metal and punk actually.
Topic Author
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

theplayer11 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:28 pm

Baba O’Reilly - The Who
Crazy on You - Heart
All My Lovin’ - Beatles
Take It Easy - Eagles
Back in Black - AC/DC

Edits ??
The Kinks You Really Got me has to be on there..the distorted guitar sound opened the door to heavy metal and punk actually.
Totally agree. It was on there and dropped it when I whittled it down. Version 2 will include :beer
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Baba O’Reilly - The Who
Crazy on You - Heart
All My Lovin’ - Beatles
Take It Easy - Eagles
Back in Black - AC/DC

Edits ??
This seems like a good approach. Leave the blues and the roots of rock and roll for later when they appreciate the music. That’s the way that I got into the blues, led there by the influences of my favorite bands.
Hard to argue with almost all of these except Queen. Substitute Crossroads by Cream. Sub While My Guitar Gently Weeps and Back in the USSR for the Beatles songs. Sub You Really Got Me by the Kinks for AC/DC. Sub Come On for Purple Haze by Hendrix. Sub Gloria by Them for the Scorpions song. Sub I Fought the Law by the Clash for Rock the Casbah. Sub Linda Ronstadt When Will I Be Loved for American Pie. Sub Stevie Ray Vaughan Voodoo Child for Bob Seger. Add Somebody to Love by the Jefferson Airplane.
Just my 2 cents.
Oops, someone beat me to You Really Got Me.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Baba O’Reilly - The Who
Crazy on You - Heart
All My Lovin’ - Beatles
Take It Easy - Eagles
Back in Black - AC/DC

Edits ??
Great list!!

Add: iconic songs by CCR, Cream, Big Brother and the Holding Company, etc.

Comments I've heard from others who hear songs from your list from my car, shop, etc.

Fellow Seniors:
"I remember that one",
"cool song. . .what were you smoking when that came out?",
"Peace . . man!",
"Hey, that's "groovy". . . ". . .

From my kids:
"gosh. . .dad. . you're really old",
"hey, that's the music they play at Home Depot",
"I remember you playing that when we were little". . .
"Did you used to be a "hippy"?
. . .

Aloha for the list.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

Personally, I would start with more current stuff. It’s more accessible and relevant to current trends. The 80s->90s->00s evolution of rock->grunge->indie. I walked into a local bakery recently and the teens working there were listening to the first Nirvana album and it made me smile. I managed to refrain from making an old millennial comment.
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

campy2010 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:31 am Personally, I would start with more current stuff. It’s more accessible and relevant to current trends. The 80s->90s->00s evolution of rock->grunge->indie. ....
This is the approach that I would also take. While the list of songs compiled above seem solid, it is missing music from the 1980s to present,. This time period's music is likely much more recognizable to people in their early 20s. I recently attended a wedding of 25 year olds and they played quite a bit of music from the eighties and nineties but almost none from prior to that period.
cbs2002

Post by cbs2002 »

Based on your list:

Bo Diddley - take your pick of a song from the first record - Bo Diddley, I'm a Man, Bring It to Jerome, Who Do you Love, Pretty Thing, etc. Rock bands have basically xeroxed these songs for decades.

Bob Seger - Old Time Rock 'n' Roll is an unfortunate parody of Seger's first 10 years. The most popular track of this era was Ramblin Gamblin Man cause it was on the live record - try this instead. Or Night Moves for something later.

Something by Iggy Pop should be on your list. TV Eye would be a taste of a much more aggressive rock that was to come. It's still hard to believe this was happening in 1970.

And as Lemmy said "We are Motorhead and we play rock 'n' roll!" So include Ace of Spades which is always a crowd pleaser.
KneeReplacementTutor

Post by KneeReplacementTutor »

BernardShakey wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:27 am I'm trying to educate my kids (in their early 20's) a little bit about true rock 'n roll music....its origin / history, the mix of music types, different styles, etc. I think examples are the best teacher.

What are some of the very best examples of bands / songs that accurately represent the genre and can distinguish it from pop and others?
There's a great documentary (Titled: Runnin' Down a Dream) about Tom Petty on Netflix. It covers his influences, early days and all of the things he went through on his way to becoming a rock star, as well as his bitter battles with record labels. Looking back, I think his story is similar in many ways to lots of "rock" bands and their dedication/determination to make their mark. It, or something similar, might be part of a good education on rock and roll.
https://tubitv.com/movies/554179/tom-pe ... wn-a-dream
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

Lots of examples above essentially based on guitar and vocals. When questions about the greatest rock lead guitarists are posed, legendary guitarists like Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana, and many others roll off the tongue.

I think the two greatest rock drum solos are by Ginger Baker one of them in “Toad” by the Cream, and the other in “Do What you Like” on the Blind Faith album.

Greatest rock bass players from say pre-1980? I’m going to go with John Entwistle (of The Who), Paul McCartney, Chris Squire (of Yes), and Bootsy Collins (of the James Brown band).

Greatest rock keyboard players? Keith Emerson (of Emerson, Lake, & Palmer) and Rick Wakeman (of Yes).
My postings are my opinion, and never should be construed as a recommendation to buy, sell, or hold any particular investment.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Northern Flicker wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:49 pm Greatest rock keyboard players? Keith Emerson (of Emerson, Lake, & Palmer) and Rick Wakeman (of Yes).
I would add Ray Manzarek of The Doors.
Northern Flicker

No issue with including Ray Manzarek. If rock pianists are included I also would add Elton John and probably Billy Joel.
My postings are my opinion, and never should be construed as a recommendation to buy, sell, or hold any particular investment.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Northern Flicker wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:03 pm No issue with including Ray Manzarek. If rock pianists are included I also would add Elton John and probably Billy Joel.
If you include pianists Billy Preston and Nicky Hopkins should be on the list.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Northern Flicker wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:03 pm No issue with including Ray Manzarek. If rock pianists are included I also would add Elton John and probably Billy Joel.
Bill Payne of Little Feat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dhZCTvqxqo.
My avatar has a small cameo part.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Northern Flicker wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:49 pm I think the two greatest rock drum solos are by Ginger Baker one of them in “Toad” by the Cream, and the other in “Do What you Like” on the Blind Faith album.
NO list of great drum performances can exclude Keith Moon. Arguably “I Can See For Miles” or “A Quick One”.
Calhoon

Post by Calhoon »

For best keyboard, you'd have to add Jon Lord to the list.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

BernardShakey wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:27 am I'm trying to educate my kids (in their early 20's) a little bit about true rock 'n roll music....its origin / history, the mix of music types, different styles, etc. I think examples are the best teacher.

What are some of the very best examples of bands / songs that accurately represent the genre and can distinguish it from pop and others?
The roots of Rock & Roll are, as I understand it, in African music, translated into a non-African milieu via slaves in western colonial societies.

So. Blues. Jazz.

You then get into the music which could cross the color line in what was a highly segregated society in the 1950s-- black music by white folk. Thus people like Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley etc.

Soul music. Which in time became the version more widely commercial - Motown. Any list of Motown greatest hits. It's also the moment to see the exquisite Quentin Tarantino film (the only one I like), based on the Elmore Leonard book - Jackie Brown. And in particular the music of the Delphonics.

You also have the British revolution. The Rolling Stones & The Beatles. The Who. The Kinks (how could I have forgotten them?) -- Lola (1970) is the most current song I can imagine.

Rock & Roll goes several places from the 60s:

- psychedelic, with its associations with the anti-war movement. So Janis Joplin. Jimmy Hendrix. The Doors? The Mamas and the Papas.
- 70s Prog Rock - things like Credence Clearwater Revival, Alan Parsons Project
- British electronic music - Gary Numan, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Yes
- Pop - quintessentially ABBA--the most pop group of pop groups, Belinda Carlisle; (any top 40 hit list of the last 50 years)-- modern would be people like Taylor Swift (post her C&W phase). Might put Fleetwood Mac in there?
- Punk - American Punk in particular associated with the club CBGB in New York in my mind. Pop versions of same Blondie (Debbie Harry) in particular. Lou Reed & The Velvet Underground
- British punk - The S*x Pistols, The Clash - born out of industrial decline and high unemployment in late 1970s-mid 1980s Britain
- New Wave - early-mid 80s. in America The Talking Heads, in Britain groups like Roxy Music, David Bowie
- Grunge - emerges out of Seattle in the 1980s - Kurt Cobain & Nirvana

I'll stop there because my listening habits got more sporadic after that. 80% of my time is listening to classical music now (a subject which I know nothing about, but there are some amazing 20th century composers out there).

I'm not sure quite what you'd call it, but in the 1980s (but for 4 decades) American social realist? -- Bruce Springsteen. Nebraska or Born in the USA are just albums that have an eternal life of their own.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Calhoon wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:48 pm For best keyboard, you'd have to add Jon Lord to the list.
Agree 100%.

And if there's room left, I'd throw in Dennis DeYoung from Styx. Underrated, IMHO. Not as flashy as Emerson or Wakeman, but someone who consistently delivered excellent keyboard solos nonetheless. For example, the intros and solos on Fooling Yourself and Sing for the Day.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

tenkuky wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:50 pm
Northern Flicker wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:49 pm I think the two greatest rock drum solos are by Ginger Baker one of them in “Toad” by the Cream, and the other in “Do What you Like” on the Blind Faith album.
NO list of great drum performances can exclude Keith Moon. Arguably “I Can See For Miles” or “A Quick One”.
I agree 100% with Keith Moon but let’s not overlook Charlie Watts who should be on anyone’s short list of greatest rock drummers.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Valuethinker wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:46 pm
Rock & Roll goes several places from the 60s:

- psychedelic, with its associations with the anti-war movement. So Janis Joplin. Jimmy Hendrix. The Doors? The Mamas and the Papas.
- 70s Prog Rock - things like Credence Clearwater Revival, Alan Parsons Project
- British electronic music - Gary Numan, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Yes
- Pop - quintessentially ABBA--the most pop group of pop groups, Belinda Carlisle; (any top 40 hit list of the last 50 years)-- modern would be people like Taylor Swift (post her C&W phase). Might put Fleetwood Mac in there?
- Punk - American Punk in particular associated with the club CBGB in New York in my mind. Pop versions of same Blondie (Debbie Harry) in particular. Lou Reed & The Velvet Underground
- British punk - The S*x Pistols, The Clash - born out of industrial decline and high unemployment in late 1970s-mid 1980s Britain
- New Wave - early-mid 80s. in America The Talking Heads, in Britain groups like Roxy Music, David Bowie
- Grunge - emerges out of Seattle in the 1980s - Kurt Cobain & Nirvana
CNN has been running a series about music in the various decades - 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, etc. It sort of puts things into context, which is often an action-reaction. They cover many of the artists listed above. But it also includes pop phenoms like Madonna, Michael Jackson, the Go Gos, Carole King, etc.

One highlight for me was Nancy Wilson of Heart commenting on Nirvana and grunge, being that they were from the same area -- the Pacific Northwest. Wilson was kind of wincing reflecting on how Heart's tunes were so painstakingly musical, then you have grunge come along and well. :) She's cool and pretty much rolls with whatever trend comes along, but her reaction at the time was pretty understandable.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Baba O’Reilly - The Who
Crazy on You - Heart
All My Lovin’ - Beatles
Take It Easy - Eagles
Back in Black - AC/DC

Edits ??
I would consider The Animals "House of the Rising Sun" or "We gotta get out of this Place".
An eclectic choice, but have to acknowledge one of the greatest albums ever (VU and Nico), "I'm Waiting for the Man" by The Velvet Underground. That beat :sharebeer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99og_g7rXnA
Northern Flicker

There is nothing Jon Lord or for that matter any other well known rock keyboardist ever did on well known albums that can match the level of musicianship exemplified by Rick Wakeman arranging the 3rd movement of Brahms Symphony #4 for synthesizer (Cans and Brahms).
OhBoyUhoh

Post by OhBoyUhoh »

Baba O’Reilly - The Who
Crazy on You - Heart
All My Lovin’ - Beatles
Take It Easy - Eagles
Back in Black - AC/DC

Edits ??
Interesting thread and admittedly not a huge music aficionado so would be curious to hear opinions for and against Rush and also Elvis Costello.

Cheers!
I had money, and I had none. I had money, and I had none. But I never been so broke that I couldn't leave town. (Jim, Ray, Robby, John)
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

They might find this interesting. A kid bloviating on his theory that rock music died in 2010 as a popular form of music, and may now have the freedom to become more progressive, like jazz when it left the popular sphere. Backed with graphs and such. A fun watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAm1UWQSriI
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:51 pm
I like Light My Fire but is it rock 'n roll?? At least I would not pick it to represent the genre.
US & FM (5% seed) | 300K Cash
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

protagonist wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:50 am They might find this interesting. A kid bloviating on his theory that rock music died in 2010 as a popular form of music, and may now have the freedom to become more progressive, like jazz when it left the popular sphere. Backed with graphs and such. A fun watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAm1UWQSriI
I do think rock has had a pretty steady decline over the last 20 years in terms of being the default popular music. As recently as the early 00s, you could walk into any shopping mall and hear bands like Blink 182, Nirvana or Radiohead playing in the background. I can’t think of the last time a public place played rock music that wasn’t 20+ years old. It’s been replaced by pop and poppy-oriented hip hop.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Marseille07 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:50 am
I like Light My Fire but is it rock 'n roll?? At least I would not pick it to represent the genre.
Good point. I guess it’s really progressive rock. It was a big part of my rock ‘n roll experience.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:55 am Good point. I guess it’s really progressive rock. It was a big part of my rock ‘n roll experience.
I'm not an expert in differentiating rock 'n roll vs progressive rock. I thought Yes - Roundabout is progressive rock, but someone mentioned it on this thread.
US & FM (5% seed) | 300K Cash
Northern Flicker

Nicolas wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:55 am
Marseille07 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:50 am
Good point. I guess it’s really progressive rock. It was a big part of my rock ‘n roll experience.
I would not call it progressive rock. It is classic garage band rock in structure. The original recording was recorded as a complete take with no parts to be mixed and played by just 4 musicians. Ray Manzarek played the organ part with his right hand on a Vox Continental, and played bass with his left hand on a Fender Rhodes electric piano.

But it does get categorized as psychedelic rock, which seems as much a cultural context as a musical structure. In general, I think rock categories and labels are not well defined.