[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
Blues
Posts: 2102
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Blues »

I can find nothing positive to say about "Yellowstone" the show. My wife and I both found it unbearable.

It cannot remotely be put into the category of "The Godfather" imho.

I say this as one who has traveled, climbed, and backpacked extensively in WY, MT and environs...and grew up among and investigating the mob in years past.

YMMV, obviously.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
doobiedoo
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:10 pm
Location: Southern CA

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by doobiedoo »

I saw a terrific TCM interview of Michael Douglas by Ben Mankiewicz on TCM (cable TV).

Michael Douglas was SO ARTICULATE and eloquent! Remember, this is an interview. It is UNSCRIPTED! Granted, he is telling stories about his life that he has probably told dozens of times. But still, the majority of actors would not be this interesting. Some are self-deprecating or shy, e.g. Robert DeNiro and Ryan Gosling. And many cannot organize their thoughts into coherent speech and stories without learning lines.

Douglas was 72 at the time of the interview. He was very sharp and showed no signs of the fumbling for words/names/places that is common with older people. Douglas had just the right amount of matter-of-fact truthfulness without being boastful. He could easily have excelled in many other professions. College professor and politician come to mind.

Topics included his famous father Kirk Douglas, his parents' divorce, being on movie sets with his father, UCSB, "The Streets of San Francisco" with Karl Malden, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", Jack Nicholson, "China Syndrome" and Three Mile Island, "Romancing the Stone" and "Jewel of the Nile", Kathleen Turner, "Fatal Attraction", "Wall Street" and producing movies.

You are left wanting to know more, especially about the topics that did not get covered -- his wife Catherine Zeta-Jones, his divorce from his first wife, Basic Instinct, American President, The Game, Starman, etc.
Last edited by doobiedoo on Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Barkingsparrow
Posts: 458
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:09 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Barkingsparrow »

We decided to run through a Acorn TV binge. We started out with "My Life is Murder" with the still very lovely Lucy Lawless (although I admit that I was always more of a Gabrielle fan.........) as a retired detective. Two seasons so far, season one filmed in Melbourne and the second in Auckland. Breezy, inconsequential, but pleasant fun, a nice break from heavier viewing. Especially the 2nd season, nice to see some shots around the beautiful city of Auckland. A 3rd season is in production.

Now we are watching Shetland. We are into the first season. Polar opposite in tone from "My Life is Murder", but still we are enjoying it. The big problem is that it's always so dark and gloomy it seems as though we are always leaning forward and squinting at the TV. I'm not sure the sun has come out once so far. And it's not yet even winter.
Bayliss
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:02 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Bayliss »

I've watched Yellowstone from the start. And the problem with it is Beth/John/Rip have so much plot armor that literally nothing can be done to them that will cause them true harm. And unfortunately what makes shows believable and imo good is when there is vulnerability to the main characters. And add into it that Jaime is the show's whipping boy, and it gets tiresome. It has been compared to The Godfather but it is more apt to Sons of Anarch... another show that Taylor Sheridan did.

1883 was much better. I think partly because there was an end to it and Taylor Sheridan knew how to wrap it up. I wasn't sure if Tim McGraw could actually perform well but he did okay.

I haven't started Mayor of Kingstown yet, but Sheridan also has the Tulsa show and 1923 show coming out soon. The 1923 show is a prequel/sequel to Yellowstone a la 1883 so I'm hoping it will be good. The Tulsa show will have Sylvester Stallone, and he has his moments with drama so we shall see.
JBTX
Posts: 9415
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by JBTX »

I watched the 4th season of Borgen on Netflix. I found it a step up from the first 3. The first 3 which I recently binged were well done and very intelligent overall, but by the end of 3 seasons there’s only so much fascination of a dozen or so politicians and their jockeying for power in a country of 6 million. The 4th season which was made many years after the first 3 certainly had those elements, but also had a much heavier component of worldwide geopolitical events, and the interaction between Denmark and Greenland, which I find fascinating. Also think the main character embarks on a more interesting personal journey of balancing values and influence/power. About the only thing I have slightly negative is the way it was wrapped up artificially neatly at the very end.
JBTX
Posts: 9415
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by JBTX »

Found a couple of good ones on Apple TV. For all man kind is a fictional account if the space race history took a different path. Overall it was thoughtful, entertaining and suspenseful. Very good cast. I think the third season has just started.

Tehran is very entertaining spy thriller, although sometimes a bit over the top and implausible. in the spirit of Homeland. If you can get past the occasional implausibility it is fast paced and suspenseful and very bingeable.
stoptothink
Posts: 11758
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by stoptothink »

Bayliss wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:27 pm I've watched Yellowstone from the start. And the problem with it is Beth/John/Rip have so much plot armor that literally nothing can be done to them that will cause them true harm. And unfortunately what makes shows believable and imo good is when there is vulnerability to the main characters. And add into it that Jaime is the show's whipping boy, and it gets tiresome. It has been compared to The Godfather but it is more apt to Sons of Anarch... another show that Taylor Sheridan did.
The comparison to Sons of Anarchy is exactly why I have yet to give Yellowstone a shot. We struggled through 4 seasons of SOA because so many told us how amazing it was - easily the worst show I've ever watched for more than a single season. I had similar criticisms of SOA; the plot lines were so unbelievable and some of the corniest dialogue ever on TV.
sunsetting101
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:34 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by sunsetting101 »

I watched Arcane on Netflix. I liked it.
Capsu78
Posts: 573
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 10:30 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Capsu78 »

JBTX wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:12 pm I watched the 4th season of Borgen on Netflix. I found it a step up from the first 3. The first 3 which I recently binged were well done and very intelligent overall, but by the end of 3 seasons there’s only so much fascination of a dozen or so politicians and their jockeying for power in a country of 6 million. The 4th season which was made many years after the first 3 certainly had those elements, but also had a much heavier component of worldwide geopolitical events, and the interaction between Denmark and Greenland, which I find fascinating. Also think the main character embarks on a more interesting personal journey of balancing values and influence/power. About the only thing I have slightly negative is the way it was wrapped up artificially neatly at the very end.
+1
I'm halfway through S4 and do believe this storyline is one of the best. I've mentioned it before but it is worth noting this series has some really well developed and challenging roles for women...American TV could take a fer pointers from it.
(PS- My pronoun is Dude)
User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 9370
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by bertilak »

Mr & Mrs Murder (2013) Acorn TV streaming
A silly detective show. Yes, it is silly but it is fun and pleasant to watch.

The Mr. and Mrs. run a service for cleaning up crime scenes. Naturally, they are the ones to solve the crime, usually a step ahead of the police -- who don't seem to mind. Some witty banter between the leads and the police detective who is the one responsible for solving the crime. The star/creator of the show is Shaun Micallef. He has all the best lines and has an engaging personality you can't help but like. The Mrs. is also very chroming add likeable.

Overall, a pleasant way to spend some TV time.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
JBTX
Posts: 9415
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by JBTX »

Capsu78 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:42 pm
JBTX wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:12 pm I watched the 4th season of Borgen on Netflix. I found it a step up from the first 3. The first 3 which I recently binged were well done and very intelligent overall, but by the end of 3 seasons there’s only so much fascination of a dozen or so politicians and their jockeying for power in a country of 6 million. The 4th season which was made many years after the first 3 certainly had those elements, but also had a much heavier component of worldwide geopolitical events, and the interaction between Denmark and Greenland, which I find fascinating. Also think the main character embarks on a more interesting personal journey of balancing values and influence/power. About the only thing I have slightly negative is the way it was wrapped up artificially neatly at the very end.
+1
I'm halfway through S4 and do believe this storyline is one of the best. I've mentioned it before but it is worth noting this series has some really well developed and challenging roles for women...American TV could take a fer pointers from it.
(PS- My pronoun is Dude)
It’s been a while but “The Good Wife” was an intelligent series with some strong female roles. It’s spin-off “The Good fight” was overly political and at times off the rails.
User avatar
heartwood
Posts: 2151
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by heartwood »

JBTX wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:05 am

...

It’s been a while but “The Good Wife” was an intelligent series with some strong female roles. It’s spin-off “The Good fight” was overly political and at times off the rails.
Curious that you mention The Good Wife. We've been bingeing it on Paramount+ for the last week or more. All good so far. It had some great characters and actors, both as leads and less so. Always enjoyed Alan Cummings as Eli Gold.
User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 14118
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by TomatoTomahto »

A couple of episodes into The Responder on Britbox.
Urgent response officer Chris Carson has been tasked with working a series of night shifts on his beat in Liverpool. It's a high pressure, relentless night-time world where his survival now depends on the rookie partner he's been forced to take on. Chris has more than the job to worry about, as his personal life has been hit by crisis, and he is morally compromised in his work. As he struggles to keep a grip on his mental health, a path to redemption appears in the form of a young heroin addict.
Enjoying it so far. I needed to have subtitles on, but my wife maintains she could make out the accents. Fwiw, she lived in London for 2 years 😁
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
sleepwell
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by sleepwell »

Someone mentioned Acorn TV. I've been enjoying Murdoch Mysteries, set in-turn-of-the-century Toronto. The plots are decent, nothing very violent, the characters are interesting. I believe there are now 17 seasons, which speaks to the on-going popularity of the show.

On Amazon Prime, I have been watching Grantchester, which was originally a show on PBS as part of Masterpiece Mystery some years ago.

And coming soon on Hulu is the second season of Only Murders in the Building. I remember a few folks here had mentioned they watched the first season.

Happy viewing! Stay cool in this summer heat!

Sleepwell
User avatar
AnnetteLouisan
Posts: 4043
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:16 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I saw my first snippet of The Crown today on YouTube! Can’t wait to see more.

Prince Philip: I’ve always been loyal to you.

Queen Liz: (in a precious accent) If onleh.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
IowaFarmWife
Posts: 390
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by IowaFarmWife »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:38 pm I saw my first snippet of The Crown today on YouTube! Cant wait to see more.

Prince Philip: I’ve always been loyal to you.

Queen Liz: (in a precious accent) If onleh.
I agree, that show is fantastic! If you like The Crown, you will probably like Victoria, too. It is the story of Queen Victoria's reign, and I didn't realize until I was watched both of them how much both of their lives paralleled each other.
“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” —Will Rogers
User avatar
AnnetteLouisan
Posts: 4043
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:16 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:14 am
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:38 pm I saw my first snippet of The Crown today on YouTube! Cant wait to see more.

Prince Philip: I’ve always been loyal to you.

Queen Liz: (in a precious accent) If onleh.
I agree, that show is fantastic! If you like The Crown, you will probably like Victoria, too. It is the story of Queen Victoria's reign, and I didn't realize until I was watched both of them how much both of their lives paralleled each other.
Glad I didn’t cancel my Netflix subscription! Thanks for the suggestion. I also liked Downton, Gosford Park and Home Fires. Home Fires is about the WW2 home front and stars some of the Downton actresses.
IowaFarmWife
Posts: 390
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by IowaFarmWife »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:23 am
IowaFarmWife wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:14 am
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:38 pm I saw my first snippet of The Crown today on YouTube! Cant wait to see more.

Prince Philip: I’ve always been loyal to you.

Queen Liz: (in a precious accent) If onleh.
I agree, that show is fantastic! If you like The Crown, you will probably like Victoria, too. It is the story of Queen Victoria's reign, and I didn't realize until I was watched both of them how much both of their lives paralleled each other.
Glad I didn’t cancel my Netflix subscription! Thanks for the suggestion. I also liked Downton, Gosford Park and Home Fires. Home Fires is about the WW2 home front and stars some of the Downton actresses.
Thank you for the recommendations! :)
“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” —Will Rogers
MDfan
Posts: 747
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:32 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by MDfan »

Circe wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:27 am I spent a couple of weeks during the summer in Montana and Wyoming pre-covid and really loved the wide open space and the animals and the sagebrush. So I started watching Yellowstone for the scenery. I stopped because of the gratuitous violence but then was impressed by the horses in season 4. There are some really outstanding horses (both breeding and training) that most westerns simply don't have.

I watched westerns as a kid but there wasn't a whole lot else on at the time; I always loved horses anyhow and started riding then. I got pretty involved for a while but haven't ridden in years.

Someone described Yellowstone as The Godfather on horseback. It's an apt description. Oddly, The Godfather was on last night after Yellowstone, but too late for me!

I only saw a few minutes of an episode of 1883 and it was super violent, so I turned it off. From what I've seen, they seem to be well-made and beautifully filmed. It's good that you found something that you could relate to.

Yellowstone jumped the shark after Season 2. I enjoyed the first two seasons but the last couple have not been great. You're doing a huge disservice to The Godfather by even mentioning the two in the same sentence. Those two things are not even in the same universe.
MDfan
Posts: 747
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:32 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by MDfan »

Bayliss wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:27 pm I've watched Yellowstone from the start. And the problem with it is Beth/John/Rip have so much plot armor that literally nothing can be done to them that will cause them true harm. And unfortunately what makes shows believable and imo good is when there is vulnerability to the main characters. And add into it that Jaime is the show's whipping boy, and it gets tiresome. It has been compared to The Godfather but it is more apt to Sons of Anarch... another show that Taylor Sheridan did.

1883 was much better. I think partly because there was an end to it and Taylor Sheridan knew how to wrap it up. I wasn't sure if Tim McGraw could actually perform well but he did okay.

I haven't started Mayor of Kingstown yet, but Sheridan also has the Tulsa show and 1923 show coming out soon. The 1923 show is a prequel/sequel to Yellowstone a la 1883 so I'm hoping it will be good. The Tulsa show will have Sylvester Stallone, and he has his moments with drama so we shall see.
SOA is a much better comparison than The Godfather. SOA was a really good show also for about 3-4 seasons.
ncbill
Posts: 1436
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:03 pm
Location: Western NC

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by ncbill »

"Dark Winds" on AMC.

Love it.
User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 9370
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by bertilak »

Reacher

So far, I've only seen the very first episode. Hokey and fun. I like hokey when it's done well. Hokey and fun is good. Hokey and serious is not good. I guess "hokey and fun" results in lightheartedness. I expect I'll be watching more.

I see a passing resemblance to my favorite show, Midsomer Murders. On the surface they are quite different, but both take a normally serious genre and have fun with it. They are not the same genres, and I would not characterize Midsomer as hokey but it is lighthearted. I doubt they can stretch Reacher to 20-plus seasons!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
User avatar
Elsebet
Posts: 1329
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:28 pm
Location: Erie, PA

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Elsebet »

Countdown: Inspiration 4: Mission to Space, streaming on Netflix.

I can't get enough space stuff so this was a fun and inspiring watch. Now I have to try and keep myself healthy and wealthy enough to someday afford and be capable of a trip to space!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Wildcat23
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:48 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Wildcat23 »

heartwood wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:00 am I started The Old Man with Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow on FX (and coming to Hulu), because of the two leads and a good review someplace. I lasted less than a half hour of e1. Unremitting gloom!

Today's NYT had an interview with Bridges and Lithgow that I read.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/16/arts ... thgow.html

I plan to try the show again. I now know it's based on the Thomas Perry novel of the same name. I enjoyed that book. I also read that it picks up speed!

The beginning of the first episode has Bridges experiencing old man's ailments. We learn that he worked many years ago for the CIA, but not the Ciampino Airport (CIA) in Rome.
bailing on Jeff Bridges after 30 minutes? - stay with it the show is good, worth it alone to watch Bridges and Lithgow
User avatar
Chip Munk
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:01 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Chip Munk »

sleepwell wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:33 pm On Amazon Prime, I have been watching Grantchester, which was originally a show on PBS as part of Masterpiece Mystery some years ago.
Grantchester is still on PBS. The latest season is Season 7. It begins airing in the USA in two weeks (July 10, 2022). Season 7 already aired in the UK earlier this year. I wish we didn't have to wait so long for new seasons to be shown over here, not just for Grantchester but for all of the BBC/ITV programs. It's not just the wait but having to avoid seeing spoilers if you happen to search for information about the show online during that time when they've already seen it in the UK but we have not.
Last edited by Chip Munk on Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
jjunk
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:52 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by jjunk »

We just started The Old Man, mentioned previously, and we're really enjoying it.

Also just started a new show, Loot, on AppleTV+ and the first three episodes were hilarious.
Capsu78
Posts: 573
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 10:30 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Capsu78 »

I saw and liked a documentary “Germans and Jews” on Prime that discusses the perceptions of both Germans with no Jewish links and modern Jews who chose to live in Germany. I consider myself pretty well versed in WW II history and have visited both Germany and Israel. This documentary puts together the timeline of how the last 2 generations from both Tribes have processed their internal wariness and eventual acceptance of the historical differences their Grandparents experiences.
Flyer24
Moderator
Posts: 4933
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:21 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Flyer24 »

An off-topic comment and response was deleted.
User avatar
heartwood
Posts: 2151
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by heartwood »

Wildcat23 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:08 am
heartwood wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:00 am I started The Old Man with Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow on FX (and coming to Hulu), because of the two leads and a good review someplace. I lasted less than a half hour of e1. Unremitting gloom!

Today's NYT had an interview with Bridges and Lithgow that I read.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/16/arts ... thgow.html

I plan to try the show again. I now know it's based on the Thomas Perry novel of the same name. I enjoyed that book. I also read that it picks up speed!

The beginning of the first episode has Bridges experiencing old man's ailments. We learn that he worked many years ago for the CIA, but not the Ciampino Airport (CIA) in Rome.
bailing on Jeff Bridges after 30 minutes? - stay with it the show is good, worth it alone to watch Bridges and Lithgow
We did continue watching, saw e3 last night. Have been watching on FX where it started, but will switch to our Hulu subscription to avoid the commercials now that its available there. I wish they dropped all the episodes at once rather than having to wait week to week. Bridges is good as is Lithgow.
User avatar
heartwood
Posts: 2151
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by heartwood »

bertilak wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:49 am Reacher

So far, I've only seen the very first episode. Hokey and fun. I like hokey when it's done well. Hokey and fun is good. Hokey and serious is not good. I guess "hokey and fun" results in lightheartedness. I expect I'll be watching more.

I see a passing resemblance to my favorite show, Midsomer Murders. On the surface they are quite different, but both take a normally serious genre and have fun with it. They are not the same genres, and I would not characterize Midsomer as hokey but it is lighthearted. I doubt they can stretch Reacher to 20-plus seasons!
I'm so confused. We have Amazon Prime access through our daughter's account as an added member and get much of the video offerings. But Reacher is not included? They say I have to have a personal Prime account at $7.49 for the first 3 months then $14.99 thereafter.
User avatar
Elsebet
Posts: 1329
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:28 pm
Location: Erie, PA

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Elsebet »

"Closed for Storm" streaming on Amazon Prime - a documentary about the former Jazzland/Six Flags Louisiana amusement park that was abandoned after Hurricane Katrina. Very sad tale, but a well produced documentary. I was left a little confused by how this was allowed to happen and will have to research a bit to figure it out.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
stoptothink
Posts: 11758
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by stoptothink »

Elsebet wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:13 pm "Closed for Storm" streaming on Amazon Prime - a documentary about the former Jazzland/Six Flags Louisiana amusement park that was abandoned after Hurricane Katrina. Very sad tale, but a well produced documentary. I was left a little confused by how this was allowed to happen and will have to research a bit to figure it out.
I watched this a few months ago. How it was allowed to happen?...it's New Orleans.
User avatar
Elsebet
Posts: 1329
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:28 pm
Location: Erie, PA

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Elsebet »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:32 pm
Elsebet wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:13 pm "Closed for Storm" streaming on Amazon Prime - a documentary about the former Jazzland/Six Flags Louisiana amusement park that was abandoned after Hurricane Katrina. Very sad tale, but a well produced documentary. I was left a little confused by how this was allowed to happen and will have to research a bit to figure it out.
I watched this a few months ago. How it was allowed to happen?...it's New Orleans.
I think my comment was a bit vague and probably led to this misunderstanding. I didn't mean I was confused by how the storm occurred, I was a little confused by how Six Flags was permitted to just leave the park abandoned and not have a plan to clean/salvage it after they ended their lease. I would think that should have been part of the contract but I would need to research how these things work as I'm ignorant of theme park contract law.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
stoptothink
Posts: 11758
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by stoptothink »

Elsebet wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:36 am
stoptothink wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:32 pm
Elsebet wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:13 pm "Closed for Storm" streaming on Amazon Prime - a documentary about the former Jazzland/Six Flags Louisiana amusement park that was abandoned after Hurricane Katrina. Very sad tale, but a well produced documentary. I was left a little confused by how this was allowed to happen and will have to research a bit to figure it out.
I watched this a few months ago. How it was allowed to happen?...it's New Orleans.
I think my comment was a bit vague and probably led to this misunderstanding. I didn't mean I was confused by how the storm occurred, I was a little confused by how Six Flags was permitted to just leave the park abandoned and not have a plan to clean/salvage it after they ended their lease. I would think that should have been part of the contract but I would need to research how these things work as I'm ignorant of theme park contract law.
I catch your drift. Again, how it was "allowed to happen" is (IMO) because it's New Orleans. If I remember correctly, they discuss all the back-handed deals that went into building the park in the first place; this type of stuff is par for the course in New Orleans.
User avatar
Elsebet
Posts: 1329
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:28 pm
Location: Erie, PA

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Elsebet »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:04 am I catch your drift. Again, how it was "allowed to happen" is (IMO) because it's New Orleans. If I remember correctly, they discuss all the back-handed deals that went into building the park in the first place; this type of stuff is par for the course in New Orleans.
I see now, thank you. I always assume some average level of shady/questionable behavior in big deals like this (similar to sports stadiums in most big cities) but did not realize New Orleans was above average in this area.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
User avatar
wabbott
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:55 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by wabbott »

The Andy Griffith Show. Every day, almost.
IowaFarmWife
Posts: 390
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by IowaFarmWife »

wabbott wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:38 pm The Andy Griffith Show. Every day, almost.
I like that show, too.
“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” —Will Rogers
User avatar
4nursebee
Posts: 2041
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:56 am
Location: US

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by 4nursebee »

Apple TV: Severance. Might have been mentioned already. A bit sci fi, loved it. Apple TV is new to us, need to search just this forum for good things to watch.
Pale Blue Dot
JBTX
Posts: 9415
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by JBTX »

4nursebee wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:12 pm Apple TV: Severance. Might have been mentioned already. A bit sci fi, loved it. Apple TV is new to us, need to search just this forum for good things to watch.
As to Apple TV, I never finished the first season of severance. It just didn’t click for me. The concept was interesting but seemed to heavy on the “quirky” element. Maybe I’ll try again later.

I have enjoyed “For all mankind” and “Tehran”.

The one season of Foundation was Ok, a bit weird but kind of intriguing. I didn’t finish the season of “Invasion”.
User avatar
tooluser
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by tooluser »

tooluser wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:44 pm I have only watched the "sneak peek preview", but Westworld season 4 premiers in two weeks on 26 June.

I like it, even though it has gotten a little worse with every season. It explores some very interesting ideas about consciousness, and base- to high-level humanity, and I would really like to understand the Ed Harris character.
The first episode of Westworld season 4 is an introduction or re-introduction to characters, and what has happened to the world since season 3. Some action, a few mysteries, and new goals for some of the characters. Probably about all they could do in an hour out the gate. Enjoyable but not spectacular. Ed Harris is back and seemingly central to the story.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
User avatar
AnnetteLouisan
Posts: 4043
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:16 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Cspan:

Interview with J.A. Johnson, author of, Fugitive Financier Martin Frankel.

On YouTube.
young danny
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:44 am
Location: Houston

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by young danny »

Second season of Only Murders in the Building, on Hulu, you thus far is fab. A new episode every Tuesday.
JBTX
Posts: 9415
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by JBTX »

Going through Peaky Blinders, (Netflix) the entire series again, ahead of new season six. I’m finding it more enjoyable second time through. I also really like the music - its grittiness matches up well with the show.
MDfan
Posts: 747
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:32 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by MDfan »

tooluser wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:24 pm
tooluser wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:44 pm I have only watched the "sneak peek preview", but Westworld season 4 premiers in two weeks on 26 June.

I like it, even though it has gotten a little worse with every season. It explores some very interesting ideas about consciousness, and base- to high-level humanity, and I would really like to understand the Ed Harris character.
The first episode of Westworld season 4 is an introduction or re-introduction to characters, and what has happened to the world since season 3. Some action, a few mysteries, and new goals for some of the characters. Probably about all they could do in an hour out the gate. Enjoyable but not spectacular. Ed Harris is back and seemingly central to the story.
Season 3 was just so bad I can’t go back.
User avatar
CardinalRule
Posts: 857
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 am
Location: United States

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by CardinalRule »

Yes, I've lost interest in Westworld, too. I didn't like the third season at all.

Yellowstone reminds me more of Succession, but the HBO show is a much better one, IMO.

Apple TV+ has been something of an odd duck for our household. For a long time there seemed to be not much to watch. Recently, my wife and I have been binging For All Mankind, and we like it a lot so far. I tried but could not get into Severance and Shining Girls, with Elizabeth Moss. Severance has some of my favorite actors, and perhaps I'll give it another try.
Kagord
Posts: 1144
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:28 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Kagord »

sunsetting101 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:56 am I watched Arcane on Netflix. I liked it.
I had dismissed this as I thought it could only be incredibly bad, looked it up, what, Tomotometer 100%, going to check it out, thanks. I main Fiora, FYI.
Ricola
Posts: 795
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:38 am

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Ricola »

Hotel Portofino and Season 8 Endeavor on PBS
rockstar
Posts: 3305
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:51 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by rockstar »

Finished Slow Horses and Season 4 of Stranger Things. Now, I resume my Castle and Psyche binge watches. More than half way through both.
User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 9370
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by bertilak »

Just finished season one of Reacher.

I guess I'd classify it as a guilty pleasure.

It is predictable. There are fight scenes where Reacher "takes a licking and keeps on ticking." He wins every fight, or at least recovers fast enough to get quickly to the next. He always outsmarts the bad guys. He has old friends from his past who will look up classified information for him, and they never take too long getting it. He wins over those who initially mistrust him and develops a following who eventually help him or even fall in love with him. The choreographed fight scenes are exciting, if not very suspenseful (since he's so good). Reacher is usually up against at least 5 bad guys, or perhaps a single really effective bad guy. There are car chases, fires, explosions, and high-elevation fights.

All that makes it easy to watch.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
kiwisun
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:25 pm

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by kiwisun »

Lost in space (2018 to 2021), Netflix production. Way better than I had anticipated. Hard to stop watching - some characters are very funny, story is quite well made, the technology advancements represented in the series and the possibilities it brings to the family in the story are very imaginative.
Post Reply