Anyone have any luck with new TSP login?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
TSR

Re: Anyone have any luck with new TSP login?

Post by TSR »

I'm dying guys. I needed to make a small change to my asset allocation in TSP and figured I'd give the new site a try. Everything seemed to go through just fine, but later I got an email with the following subject: "Invesment Change Election." I try not to be the typo police in my daily life, but they have a typo in the SUBJECT of an automated reply. It does not instill a lot of confidence. "Investment" was spelled correctly in the body of the email.

Sigh.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Maybe they should have waited until April 1 to open the new site...

:oops:
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
mokaThought

Post by mokaThought »

ossipago wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:06 pm I've never seen this on a site that uses SMS authentication before:

"Your organization has reached the limit of sms requests that can be sent within a 24 hour period."

This means I am locked out of my account (because I didn't want to install yet another authenticator).

What a useless redesign.
Did they install the trial version?? :annoyed
"October: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August and February."
MnD

Post by MnD »

Your payment from the Thrift Savings Plan completed as of June 15, 2022.

Your monies will be issued on June 21, 2022. Allow for standard mailing time for any portion of your payment that is scheduled to be mailed. Allow 1-2 business days for any portion that will be direct deposited into your account.

I think they need a proofreader.
I'm no English major but......

"Your payment from the TSP completed?"
"Your monies?"

Oh and the email notice, that they were going to hang onto my monies for a week was wrong.
It showed up in my account last night the 16th and was fully available this morning.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
junior

Post by junior »

MnD wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:37 am

"Your monies?"
The dictionary assures me that monies is an actual word. (Shrug).

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... age-monies
MnD

Post by MnD »

junior wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:46 am
MnD wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:37 am

"Your monies?"
The dictionary assures me that monies is an actual word. (Shrug).

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... age-monies
I agree but it's the plural of money.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
StewedCarrot

Post by StewedCarrot »

I finally received my OTP by mail and logged in. My goodness this new site is convoluted - many clicks to get to balances, Mutual fund window adverts, no past statements. I don’t understand why TSP leadership believed this was needed.

It’s unfortunate; I loved the simplicity of the TSP offerings and website from a decade ago.
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

It's almost like the guy who created the Treasury Direct website now works for the TSP.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

MikeWillRetire wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:19 pm It's almost like the guy who created the Treasury Direct website now works for the TSP.
😁😁
Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker »

I setup my new account and added beneficiaries without a problem. I'm glad I waited.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

I set up a monthly withdrawal and was happy that I didn't have to get a notarized signature, and my wife got an email from TSP that, with a few clicks, enabled her to e-sign the doc that waived the annuity option. This is a much improved experience. I also liked that you can change the fed tax withholding from the 20% default to a custom dollar amount or percent.

I did think it was a little odd that the TSP allows you to choose a starting date for the first payment but then in fine print says that all subsequent monthly payments are made on the 15th of the month (and may take a few days after that for deposits to be processed). Small gripe.

I do think the navigation on the new website is terrible. The old website looked old, but at least there was information density and the ability to find things without a lot of clicks. I hope they take feedback and keep improving.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

I logged into the new site without any problems. Took me a little while - maybe 30 seconds - to find the amount in each fund and performance of each. Got a couple notices from them in the mail today. One says "Thank you for claiming your account. If you didn't, contact us immediately." I'm thinking they call logging into the new site claiming the account. I'll probably call later to make sure. The other notice was one saying that I had changed my contact information. I think this is because I changed the phone number from my Google Voice number to my cell number. I did this because I was afraid the Google Voice number would put a wrench in the works. Seems like I read in here somewhere that certain phone services like Google Voice wouldn't work.

Regarding the Treasury Direct site, it's a little different, but hasn't caused me any major problems. Maybe it would be worse if I had a variety of government bond types. I don't know. I only have I-bonds. Logging in using the virtual keyboard is a little time consuming and annoying, but probably pretty secure. You have to remember not to use the back arrows on your browser. Click on "back" buttons on the site instead. But there are clearly visible reminders about that on the website. According to the survey data, most people rate the site either very good or excellent.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

Share price history and fund performance don't seem to be working right now.
USAFperio

Post by USAFperio »

I was able to successfully create my new account on the website a few weeks ago. However, for a few reasons, I need to change my login password due to an unrelated reason. My problem: I cannot find anywhere on the new TSP website where I’m able to change my password. This should be pretty basic and easy, but I am at a loss. I’ve clicked everywhere to no avail.

Has anyone successfully found how/where to change a their password on the new website?

Thank you kindly.
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

USAFperio wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:32 am I was able to successfully create my new account on the website a few weeks ago. However, for a few reasons, I need to change my login password due to an unrelated reason. My problem: I cannot find anywhere on the new TSP website where I’m able to change my password. This should be pretty basic and easy, but I am at a loss. I’ve clicked everywhere to no avail.

Has anyone successfully found how/where to change a their password on the new website?

Thank you kindly.
Go to https://login.tsp.gov/. There, you can change your password or change MFA options.

(I found this by entering "change password" into the automated chat bot on the main TSP account access site, then following its results.)
USAFperio

Post by USAFperio »

Ketawa, thanks so much. I tried searching the same verbiage "change password" in the search box to no avail. I'd have never thought to try searching it in the chat. BTW, this other site (login.tsp.gov) is clearly a different one than the new normal account site. The two don't seem to link together, for reasons I cannot even venture to guess.
USAFperio

Post by USAFperio »

Additionally, since TSP "upgraded" their site, my Personal Capital dashboard has never been able to receive my TSP account info. It (Personal Capital) continually asks for my username/password, but cannot fetch the data. I'm assuming others are in the same boat, although if anyone has cracked that nut successfully, I'm curious to hear how you succeeded. Thank you kindly.
deserat

Post by deserat »

TimeRunner wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:00 am I set up a monthly withdrawal and was happy that I didn't have to get a notarized signature, and my wife got an email from TSP that, with a few clicks, enabled her to e-sign the doc that waived the annuity option. This is a much improved experience. I also liked that you can change the fed tax withholding from the 20% default to a custom dollar amount or percent.

I did think it was a little odd that the TSP allows you to choose a starting date for the first payment but then in fine print says that all subsequent monthly payments are made on the 15th of the month (and may take a few days after that for deposits to be processed). Small gripe.

I do think the navigation on the new website is terrible. The old website looked old, but at least there was information density and the ability to find things without a lot of clicks. I hope they take feedback and keep improving.
Just got in to the new site - had to have them mail me a code (I live overseas).

I agree with you - the specific information on each fund amount is buried under three menu levels. The font and colors are nice, I guess, but then I don't care about pictograms much. I'm an engineer, and an older one at that, so lines of numbers don't confuse or scare me :-)
egri

Post by egri »

TSR wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:28 am I'm now having some login troubles using my new password. I've had to change it twice now, and I don't *think* I'm forgetting the new one. Then again, my mind could be slipping. Ah well.
Same here. I have to change my password every time I log in, and it doesn't take the answer to my security question at all.
tj

Post by tj »

USAFperio wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:00 pm Additionally, since TSP "upgraded" their site, my Personal Capital dashboard has never been able to receive my TSP account info. It (Personal Capital) continually asks for my username/password, but cannot fetch the data. I'm assuming others are in the same boat, although if anyone has cracked that nut successfully, I'm curious to hear how you succeeded. Thank you kindly.
My TSP stoped working with PC well before the upgrade.
TheMightyQuinn

Pre-Switchover Transactions?

Post by TheMightyQuinn »

Sorry if this has been asked before, but will transactions that occurred before the the switchover be available on the site? I can only see transactions after the switchover. I ask because I manually enter transactions in Quicken and am missing data for a couple months prior to the switchover.
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

I called the Thriftline this afternoon to ask them a question about why a direct rollover into the TSP is taking so long to credit to my account.

It told me the wait time to speak to a rep was 57 minutes. This was all caused by members needing assistance getting their accounts set up online.

Great… :oops:
MnD

Post by MnD »

USAFperio wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:00 pm Additionally, since TSP "upgraded" their site, my Personal Capital dashboard has never been able to receive my TSP account info. It (Personal Capital) continually asks for my username/password, but cannot fetch the data. I'm assuming others are in the same boat, although if anyone has cracked that nut successfully, I'm curious to hear how you succeeded. Thank you kindly.
I think it's still dead for everyone using PC to auto-update.
PC has a note dated 6/2/22 under support and said it was down and they will update the support note when things change.
No updates yet.
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

SquawkIdent wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:36 pm I called the Thriftline this afternoon to ask them a question about why a direct rollover into the TSP is taking so long to credit to my account.

It told me the wait time to speak to a rep was 57 minutes. This was all caused by members needing assistance getting their accounts set up online.

79 minute wait now.

Question…is the G Fund worth all of this? :oops:
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

SquawkIdent wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:36 pm
SquawkIdent wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:36 pm I called the Thriftline this afternoon to ask them a question about why a direct rollover into the TSP is taking so long to credit to my account.

79 minute wait now.

Question…is the G Fund worth all of this? :oops:
I moved to 100% G Fund before the change. I will wait until you all get the bugs squashed before trying to log in.
raizar29

Post by raizar29 »

I recently experienced something positive with the new TSP. This may have been possible before, but now I've been able to link my TSP account to Mint and now I finally have my whole net worth tracked in one place.
CharlieEvans

Post by CharlieEvans »

I could tell that trying to answer the questions to create a new login access would be annoying so I asked TSP to mail the code home. It came in a few days and, using it, was able to create the new login without too much difficulty.

I am old enough to be getting RMDs from TSP automatically calculated by them and deposited monthly into my checking account. The amount is identical each month for an entire year, then recalculates. Imagine my surprise when the 6/15 payment was for a different amount than it had been all year so far. After I successfully logged on I found that the new site just shows dollar amounts distributed, and I do not see shares sold and the price per share. The old site allowed one to toggle between dollars or shares for each transaction.

Does anybody have a workaround? My Quicken doesn't know what data to enter. And I'd like to avoid calling them and sitting on hold.
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

raizar29 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:32 am I recently experienced something positive with the new TSP. This may have been possible before, but now I've been able to link my TSP account to Mint and now I finally have my whole net worth tracked in one place.
I’m not sure about that as that’s above my pay grade.

I’m lucky if I can figure out how to use my cellphone. :shock:
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

On June 22, I posted upthread my hopefully successful request for a monthly withdrawal. It's a little unsettling that my request doesn't appear anywhere on the website, nor did I receive an email or web/postal document showing it. I'll know around the middle of July if it was successful since I'm not going to call.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
Poor Rod

Post by Poor Rod »

I finally got around to logging in to the new site, expecting to have to set up a new login password, but it turned out my old username/password worked.

I agree about the new site being really bad, and the one thing that is missing is the ability to find historical account balances on a specific date. I track my retirement account balances quarterly, but in my case I do it on the 22nd of March, June, September, and December. It's just a quirk of the day I created my tracking spreadsheet, but with the old site it wasn't hard to find historical end-of-day balances for a specific day, and I could do it for any day going back decades. Now, the new site shows only the end on month balances, and only for very recent months. I was traveling on 22 June this year and didn't log in a check my balance on that day, figuring I could always go back later and pull it up. Nope.

I imagine it's a functionality very few people use, but no more going back and finding out what my balance was on 17 May 2003.
SeaDog

Post by SeaDog »

I set up the new login 3 weeks ago. Was able to move around and see the horrific design of the website. The next day I tried to login and it kept telling me to open a new account, again. After trying everything else I set up a new account, again. After I got in it booted me out. Wouldn't let me reset my password or username. Waited on the phone for 90 minutes. The person said she could see the account was established. She said she would open a ticket. Told me to try it again 24 hours later. She said if it didn't work to call back. We briefly discussed the long wait on the phone. Boy I wouldn't want her job with this mess.

24 hours later I tried it and it worked!! This week it is making me reset the password at each log in. I have them written down so I know it is correct. I don't want to keep thinking up new passwords so I call the help line. Person picked up right away. Surprised, I explained the problem. She says "Let me transfer you to the team that handles that". She transfers me. Waited 65 minutes. The person tells me it is a known problem and they are working on it. I said "You have a list of known problems and this isn't on the list". She says "All of the known problems are not listed. But I assure you this is one we are working on. Do you want me to reset your password?" I said "no. I can reset it. I need to be able to use the same password more than once." She said "Well that is all I can do". I couldn't even get her to write a ticket. She pretty much said "good luck. have a nice day".

I'm not taking my frustration out on these people but... Holy Crap! Who wrote the contract for this fiasco? 30 years working for the DoD has lowered my expectations in many ways but even I am shocked at how bad this rollout and website is.
nickd3463

Post by nickd3463 »

TimeRunner wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:49 pm On June 22, I posted upthread my hopefully successful request for a monthly withdrawal. It's a little unsettling that my request doesn't appear anywhere on the website, nor did I receive an email or web/postal document showing it. I'll know around the middle of July if it was successful since I'm not going to call.
I applied for a loan on 8 June. Still no loan; spouse signed the form on 8 Jun. It just says "Pending" since 8 Jun. I called last week and waited 1 hour to talk to the first agent, who transferred me to a loan specialist, waited 2 hours and never got through (9pm EST). Called next day at 7am and talked to first agent, then transferred to loan after 2 hours, then the person I talked to opened a "case" for me to explain my situation to the loan department and required a call back to me from the loan department. Nothing has changed to date and I have not received a call back. Has anybody received any withdrawal transactions of any type (loan or no loan) since the new website? If someone has received a loan, please let me know how long it took to receive the money.
beck02

Post by beck02 »

I did a loan request. Had to wait the 7 days for the "new" banking information I added (where the money was going to go to). No spouse. General purpose loan. I did the loan request June 13th, money hit my bank June 15th (Wednesday).

Good luck to you....
nickd3463

Post by nickd3463 »

beck02 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:54 pm I did a loan request. Had to wait the 7 days for the "new" banking information I added (where the money was going to go to). No spouse. General purpose loan. I did the loan request June 13th, money hit my bank June 15th (Wednesday).

Good luck to you....
Thank you! I think I will cancel my loan request tomorrow morning and then do a new loan request tomorrow using my bank info. My bank info has been in there for 20 days already.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Yesterday I noticed that USPS informed delivery indicated I had mail from the TSP...so I went down and picked it up at the end of the day.

Turns out it was a partial quarter statement...which really annoyed me since I had elected, (years ago), to receive my statements and other info electronically via email, and confirmed both email and text messages on the new site.

The last thing I wanted is info with my name, account number and month and year of birth in my mailbox where anyone can get their hands on it.

Worse, you can't even send an email to TSP...it's either a phone call or snail mail. I'm not spending two hours on hold to tell someone with no authority that this is unacceptable.

This is very disappointing, to say the least. And a disgraceful lack of security for fully including this info on any notice or statement.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

One minor change that I've noticed is that changing the mix of funds for contributions takes place on the next trading day, regardless of when it is requested. This was confirmed when I updated my mix of funds for contributions yesterday morning, but it was not in effect when my monthly contribution hit my account yesterday. It used to take effect for close of the current trading day if it was requested before noon Eastern time.

This is a minor inconvenience; I used to update my contributions near the end of the month to assist in rebalancing, and I would take into account the AM trading activity to estimate updated prices for my mutual funds.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

For security reasons, I usually have security codes texted to my Goggle Voice (GV) number instead of my cell number. Then, I have to login to a Google email account enrolled in their extra security program to get to the security code. (One feature of the Google extra security program is that I have to use a security key to log into this email.) The GV text is changed into an email containing the code.

When establishing the new TSP login, has anybody listed their Google Voice number for the number security codes are to be texted to? I went thru the login process, and it went fine, but I used my regular cell phone number. I was afraid using my GV number might cause problems for me. Now I'm thinking about switching it to my GV number.
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:40 pm For security reasons, I usually have security codes texted to my Goggle Voice (GV) number instead of my cell number. Then, I have to login to a Google email account enrolled in their extra security program to get to the security code. (One feature of the Google extra security program is that I have to use a security key to log into this email.) The GV text is changed into an email containing the code.

When establishing the new TSP login, has anybody listed their Google Voice number for the number security codes are to be texted to? I went thru the login process, and it went fine, but I used my regular cell phone number. I was afraid using my GV number might cause problems for me. Now I'm thinking about switching it to my GV number.
You can probably test it yourself by adding additional MFA options at https://login.tsp.gov/, then changing your mobile number. Fall back to an alternate MFA option if it fails.
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

fyi: some help may be on the way:
"Lawmaker Requests Meeting with TSP to Discuss Ongoing Problems with New Online System"

https://www.myfederalretirement.com/tsp-problems/
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Ketawa wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:45 pm
OpenMinded1 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:40 pm For security reasons, I usually have security codes texted to my Goggle Voice (GV) number instead of my cell number. Then, I have to login to a Google email account enrolled in their extra security program to get to the security code. (One feature of the Google extra security program is that I have to use a security key to log into this email.) The GV text is changed into an email containing the code.

You can probably test it yourself by adding additional MFA options at https://login.tsp.gov/, then changing your mobile number. Fall back to an alternate MFA option if it fails.
Thanks. I'll have to check that out. For some reason I didn't think it offered multiple options, but I'm not sure.
leviathan

Post by leviathan »

I was able to switch cell phone # back to my GV # after establishing the new TSP login.
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

egri wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:36 pm
TSR wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:28 am I'm now having some login troubles using my new password. I've had to change it twice now, and I don't *think* I'm forgetting the new one. Then again, my mind could be slipping. Ah well.
Same here. I have to change my password every time I log in, and it doesn't take the answer to my security question at all.
Same here!
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I logged in successfully the first time but I’m taking a pass this month. Seems they have a lot of kinks to work out and my balances will be bad news anyway.

Update: just logged in and it was fine (except I’m down $5k YTD not including contributions).
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
egri

Post by egri »

The upside of losing all my data from before last month is I can't see how much I'm down this year anymore. :sharebeer
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

leviathan wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:38 pm

I was able to switch cell phone # back to my GV # after establishing the new TSP login.
Thanks for the info.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

I don't understand the TSP's advice regarding missing beneficiary information. TSP has said that your beneficiary information is still there, even if it's not displayed, so don't worry about it; but they also said to check to see if yours is displayed. Mine is not, so am I supposed to shrug and trust them that they actually still have it? Or do they expect me to re-submit it? I'm not sure I'd describe filling out the beneficiary form as a terribly onerous exercise, but I did it once, and it's their fault that it's no longer displayed, so I and the millions of others like me shouldn't have to bear the burden of doing it again. Particularly not when we're still in a pandemic, agencies like mine are still on maximum telework, and it's impractical to get witness signatures since I'm never in the same room as anyone who is not a beneficiary on my account.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

egri wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:02 pm The upside of losing all my data from before last month is I can't see how much I'm down this year anymore. :sharebeer
Yes I noticed I was “down only 1.4 percent YTD” for that reason. They shouldn’t display numbers that are inaccurate. Are they going to enter all our historical data?
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

FedGuy wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:06 am I don't understand the TSP's advice regarding missing beneficiary information. TSP has said that your beneficiary information is still there, even if it's not displayed, so don't worry about it; but they also said to check to see if yours is displayed. Mine is not, so am I supposed to shrug and trust them that they actually still have it? Or do they expect me to re-submit it? I'm not sure I'd describe filling out the beneficiary form as a terribly onerous exercise, but I did it once, and it's their fault that it's no longer displayed, so I and the millions of others like me shouldn't have to bear the burden of doing it again. Particularly not when we're still in a pandemic, agencies like mine are still on maximum telework, and it's impractical to get witness signatures since I'm never in the same room as anyone who is not a beneficiary on my account.
Just enter the beneficiaries online, then you can see them and change them whenever you want. No need to mail in the old form for most, although perhaps there's a special case you fall into?
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

quietseas wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:17 amJust enter the beneficiaries online, then you can see them and change them whenever you want. No need to mail in the old form for most, although perhaps there's a special case you fall into?
Last time I did it (only a few years ago), I was required to fill out a form online, print it, have witnesses sign it, and mail it in. I thought that was the requirement for all TSP participants; I am unaware of any special category I fall into.
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

FedGuy wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:24 am
quietseas wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:17 amJust enter the beneficiaries online, then you can see them and change them whenever you want. No need to mail in the old form for most, although perhaps there's a special case you fall into?
Last time I did it (only a few years ago), I was required to fill out a form online, print it, have witnesses sign it, and mail it in. I thought that was the requirement for all TSP participants; I am unaware of any special category I fall into.
Maybe try updating them online now and see if you still have to print out a form and get witnesses to sign it?