Any Boglehead musicians out there?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
GibsonL6s

Re: Any Boglehead musicians out there?

Post by GibsonL6s »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:41 pm
investingdad wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:16 pm This thread would be improved with photos of BH musicians’ instruments…
Ok.
Here's a few.

Gibson Les Paul (use mostly for jazz, setup for that plus Thomastik Flatwound strings.)

Aloha
j :D
Beautiful instrument!!
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

A440 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:24 am Yes.30 years teaching it to middle school students and a few years teaching it to high school students at the start of my career. By my count, that makes at least 64 concerts presented to family members and the school community.
This and your ministry sounds like a wonderful career full of music.
During Covid lockdown I learned how to play "Slack-key" on the Uke. Sandtrap should be able to tell you more about this style unique to the islands.
He is a very serious musician!
My hope is to return to Kauai someday and serenade my wife on the beach.
I can't think of many better musical goals. Make sure you do!
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
trueson1

Post by trueson1 »

Picked up the guitar in college.

Still have the acoustic guitar that my wife gave me for my 21st birthday and I still play it on occassion.

Also picked up a strat along the way.

Just retired at the end of 2021 and plan to get back to it.

Thanks for the reminder - I definitely need to do this. It brings back lots of happy memories jamming with friends in college. :sharebeer
dougger5

Post by dougger5 »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:39 am More pics for a fun and informative (consumer item) thread n post.

Here's a Fender Strat. It's the most comfortable and somewhat easiest (least hand strain) to play, so I use it for a lot of fingerboard practice (scales, modes, etc, vs an acoustic.)

A basic quality pedal board setup can be used for electric, acoustic guitar, ukulele, etc, with good effect. Great to practice various genres, types and styles of play and sound/music. This one can tweak sounds from "George Benson's" Breezin (jazz) to Santana's "Samba Pati", to clean but rich, with the right guitars.

Tips on guitar boxes: not always, but usually, you get what you pay for. Cheaper units are noisy, hum, and the effects can be more "sledge hammer" than subtle. For clean jazz and other "clean" styles, the idea is to add back the richness of pure acoustic that the sound system strips out, and so forth. MXR is a great brand. Thank goodness for Amazon.com's great return policy. The website ads can be really hyped up, and YouTube Vid reviews. The only way to really know if these things fits one's "ears and feels, etc" is just to try them. And, another tip, just changing the order changes the sound.

These types of things make practice fun and keeps things new and fresh.
j :D :D
Nice guitar and pedal rig! For the last 15 or so years all my FX have been "in the box," while tracking parts for my contribution to group recordings. VSTs by AmpliTube and Scuffham. Recently I got hold of a TC Electronic Ditto looping pedal, and have been using it along with an MXR Berzerker Overdrive for dirty-ish leads over the clean loops. After so many years of hearing myself through headphones, it's been nice to just plug in an play :happy
"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now." -Buckaroo Banzai
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

trueson1 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:54 pm Picked up the guitar in college. Still have the acoustic guitar that my wife gave me for my 21st birthday and I still play it on occasion. Also picked up a strat along the way.

Thanks for the reminder--I definitely need to do this. It brings back lots of happy memories jamming with friends in college.
Congratulations on your recent retirement! Now definitely is the time do this. You won't regret it.
Design a plan. That usually works best.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

A440 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:24 am Yes. 30 years teaching it to middle school students and a few years teaching it to high school students at the start of my career. By my count, that makes at least 64 concerts presented to family members and the school community.
Even more rewarding was my call to music ministry for the same period of time as organist, choir director and praise team leader. Better benefits, less pay.
The end is in sight (early retirement) for my teaching career, but I hope to keep playing for my other profession for as long as my brain and fingers keep working.
During Covid lockdown, I learned how to play "Slack-key" on the Uke. Sandtrap should be able to tell you more about this style unique to the islands. My hope is to return to Kauai someday and serenade my wife on the beach. :happy
Story:
Hawaii got guitars from the Spanish Vaquero's (cowboys) that were brought in to teach cattle ranching and horsemanship back when there were vast cattle ranches (Parker Ranch is still very large at over 300k acres). They brought guitars. So, that's why there's a bit of that latin, cowboy, country western sound in some Hawaiian music.
Story:
Well, the locals found out that if they tuned the guitar down lower in pitch the strings would last longer, and there would be easier open tunings in G, etc, chord, and also, it matched the sound and bass rhythm or pulse of the Hawaiian chants from which much early music is rooted. (Hawaiian history is verbal in chants, stories, etc, so . . in songs of places and so forth).

Note:
Here's a link to a good pdf file written on "slack key tunings" also known as "alternate tunings" amongst the rest of the guitar world.
For example: open G is DADGAD.is called "Taro Patch" in Hawaiian "local" pidgin.
https://www.georgewinston.com/userfiles ... KBook3.pdf

Stuff: I learned a bunch of "slack key" alternate guitar, uke, etc, tunings but they just "locally anyway" have names like, "Taro Patch" (edible taro luau leaves grow in a taro patch), "Wahine (lady) Slack", etc.

Traditionally:
At least in Hawaii locally in the old days: Learning "slack key" and the Hawaiian songs that went with them was handed down by a "kumu" or "generational family" music, heritage thing. My teacher at the time had to call his elder teacher to get permission to teach me what was handed down to him in turn. I'm part Hawaiian and had been taking lessons from that particular teacher for about 4 years (every week), so I guess it was okay and I got the go ahead.

As for the Ukulele: (which is translated as, I think, "jumping flea", that was brought over by the Portuguese of which there were a lot on sailing ships way back when for shipping and so forth. The Portuguese brought the "uke" and the rest is history.

The "bass" uke is tuned like the top 4 strings on a guitar DGBE. The other ukes are regular GCEA but sized from tiny to concert to tenor to super tenor to custom super tenor, etc, etc. And all sizes and shapes after that. The lst string can be "Low G" or "High G". Usually, if it is a high G string then the uke is mostly for strumming. If the G is a low G string then it's used like the bass strings on a guitar and for more picking instead of strumming.

Okay:
So, about that singing to one's loved one on the beach while playing the uke: :D :D

Here's the set list for you:

"I'll Remember You" (a must, and very easy, sing it softly. . .you know. . . )
"A Maile Lei For Your Hair".
"Hanalei Moon"
"Blue Hawaii"
(and, if you can play it fingerstyle, arpeggio is okay)
"White Sandy Beach"
and. . .finish that with a song that you wrote yourself. . .

Me Ke Aloha
j mango :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

trueson1 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:54 pm Picked up the guitar in college.

Still have the acoustic guitar that my wife gave me for my 21st birthday and I still play it on occassion.

Also picked up a strat along the way.

Thanks for the reminder - I definitely need to do this. It brings back lots of happy memories jamming with friends in college. :sharebeer
Great stories!

Happy Retirement
:sharebeer

Sabot

Post by Sabot »

I play guitar and drums 8-)
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Sabot wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:05 pm I play guitar and drums 8-)
Very cool.

How did you first learn to play drums?

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

GibsonL6s wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:40 pm Amateur here. I played in a garage band in high school (late 70s). The other members of the band tried to have musical career with varying success until getting real jobs. In my 50s I started guitar lessons again and wanted to try to learn theory and to read music and maybe play some jazz. I ended up not having the patience to learn to read as was always an ear player and also realized I did not really like much jazz. The lessons did help me get better at the styles of music I do like which is blues and rock. I ultimately stopped the lessons as I really don't want to be in a Dad rock band, but still play one to four hours a week for fun. I view music as one of the hobbies we can can to later in life. My dad played clarinet into his 80s.

Great thread, thanks
Great stories.

Being grounded more in theory and lessons, I've always been short on the "ear player" side of things and envy those who have "ears", either solo or in a band. My current music coaching in retirement is trying to make up for that with "ear training".

Agreed. Music and musicianship is definitely a later in life that benefits health and fun and rewards, yet one doesn't have to adjust a portfolio allocation to afford it.

thanks!
RRJeff

Post by RRJeff »

investingdad wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:16 pm This thread would be improved with photos of BH musicians’ instruments…
Ok.
Here's a few.

Gibson Les Paul (use mostly for jazz, setup for that plus Thomastik Flatwound strings.)

Aloha
Amateur guitar player here…drooling over your gorgeous Les Paul! Got any amp photos to share? :sharebeer
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

I can’t seem to embed the image, but here is a link to my violin:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YgQLlE ... p=drivesdk

French workshop, late 1800s (possibly very early 1900s), and just sounds amazing. I paid enough that I needed to trial it for two months while I convinced my wife that I should spend what I did. The open, non-played strings respond beautifully to the one being bowed…very important for colorful tones.

Larsen Virtuoso G, D, and A strings with a Thomastik Infeld Dominant E….mostly because the Dominant doesn’t whistle like the Virtuoso E does.
davedci1

Post by davedci1 »

Yup! Musician here. I'm late 30's grinding it out here in LA since college. I play a variety of instruments professionally. Half my work is playing and the other half is orchestrating and arranging. Glad to hear that there are other musicians on the forum. This forum has been extremely helpful to navigate my finances in this unconventional profession. Thanks to you all!

Keep the music going Bogleheads!
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

investingdad wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:26 am https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YgQLlE ... p=drivesdk

French workshop, late 1800s (possibly very early 1900s), and just sounds amazing. I paid enough that I needed to trial it for two months while I convinced my wife that I should spend what I did.
Beautiful instrument! Glad your wife got on board.

What I most appreciate about your ongoing violin threads is your regular practice and improvement, and the obvious joy that playing gives you. Doors open, and you walk through them!
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

davedci1 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:08 am Yup! Musician here. I'm late 30's grinding it out here in LA since college. I play a variety of instruments professionally. Half my work is playing and the other half is orchestrating and arranging. Glad to hear that there are other musicians on the forum.
This forum has been extremely helpful to navigate my finances in this unconventional profession.
My experience is that just about any question someone has, there's a Boglehead expert who can help.
Thanks to you all! Keep the music going Bogleheads!
And thanks to you for being part of the Boglehead Musician community!
kinless

Post by kinless »

Cranberry44 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:22 pm
kinless wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:19 pm
I have my grandfather's tenor and alto saxophones from his days playing in 1940s big bands
What make and model?!
They're both Buescher True Tone. From the serial numbers, tenor is 1922 and alto 1923.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

RRJeff wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:27 am
Ok.
Here's a few.

<snip>
Aloha
Amateur guitar player here…drooling over your gorgeous Les Paul! Got any amp photos to share? :sharebeer
I only have smaller amps and practice amps, acoustic, bass, etc, now.
Sold or passed on all of my stage stuff and big systems when I moved and retired. No longer play for the masses so not much volume needed.
Thinking of a really nice smaller tube blues amp for the warm "benson" type sound but my pedal board seems to make most tones with any amp. Still . . . . .

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Here's another pic.
Not my exact uke but pretty close.
A Super Tenor with slothead. By the Island uke maker, "Kanile'a" which was located down the street from where I lived in "Kaneohe" on the Windward side of Oahu for 40 years.
I had them install the best Fishman pickup system that they could get. Sound is great with the "red strings".
Also, my Super Tenor is a "long neck" 19 inch scale. Different a bit than the one in the pick which is a 17 inch scale.

The Super Tenor has a fat lower body so the sound is not as shallow as the regular tenor uke size. Much deeper and fuller with the right strings.

investingdad

Post by investingdad »

How important are strings on your electric instruments?

I did a lot of trial and error until I found what complements my violin. And I learned what a horrid sound the wrong type of strings results in.

My instrument has a naturally warm, very slightly dark tone. It responds best to brighter strings.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

investingdad wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:06 pm How important are strings on your electric instruments?

I did a lot of trial and error until I found what complements my violin. And I learned what a horrid sound the wrong type of strings results in.

My instrument has a naturally warm, very slightly dark tone. It responds best to brighter strings.
In my experience with classical guitar (nylon string), acoustic steel guitar (from 10's to 12's and up), nylon hybrid (high tension nylon strings), electric (from slinky/bendies to 12 and up on jazz archtop's etc, to flatwounds), to bass (wound to jazz flatwound), to ukulele's (many), every instrument has it's own tone, even identical models, and there's a great sound and vibrance and tension for each that brings out the best of that unique instrument acoustically (unplugged) and then when "amped" depending on the pickups and electronics.

On top of that, there's a sound that fits best in a band mix, style of music and playing style and technique (huge here), and to one's tastes and ears.

I'm able to compare most of my acoustic instruments, most of what I own, because they all have pickup systems installed.
For example: A custom GK flamenco guitar that sounds great acoustically but "incredible" when "plugged in".
Another example: A mid level tenor ukulele that sounds ok to nice acoustically and terrible when plugged in, no matter the strings.

And, some instruments seem to be string responsive. Other's just sound pretty much the same over a wider range of strings.
And, some strings last a long time, others. . . .have a short period of sounding great, then . .fizzle out.
And, different tension strings should be matched to the instrument. IE: a vintage violin might age better with lower tension strings, etc.

So, it's fun, though sometimes pricey, experimenting with strings on stringed instruments.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Another "instrument" picture:
The venerable and iconic. Shure SM58.

Vocalists take their "instrument" everywhere. No case needed. No check in bag. No carry on.

Many vocalists/musicians, singer/instrumentalists, bring their own mic.

Any stage singers and vocalists here?

j :D :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
A440

Post by A440 »

My instrument is a 1988 Kawai KG-2E baby grand piano. I still play it everyday :happy
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
Cranberry44

Post by Cranberry44 »

davedci1 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:08 am Yup! Musician here. I'm late 30's grinding it out here in LA since college. I play a variety of instruments professionally. Half my work is playing and the other half is orchestrating and arranging. Glad to hear that there are other musicians on the forum. This forum has been extremely helpful to navigate my finances in this unconventional profession. Thanks to you all!

Keep the music going Bogleheads!
Awesome! What do you orchestrate/arrange? I have three degrees in music performance :shock:. If I had to do it all over again I'd focus more on composition and arranging (and even the academic/philosophy side).
Cranberry44

Post by Cranberry44 »

kinless wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:38 pm
Cranberry44 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:22 pm
kinless wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:19 pm
I have my grandfather's tenor and alto saxophones from his days playing in 1940s big bands
What make and model?!
They're both Buescher True Tone. From the serial numbers, tenor is 1922 and alto 1923.
So cool -- 100 years old! Those old saxes have amazing robust tones. Later on saxophone tones became more focused and cutting, but I really love the fuzzy edges that vintage saxes have.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

So in the opinion of the real musicians on here, does the same instrument sound different when played by different people?
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

investingdad wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:20 am So in the opinion of the real musicians on here, does the same instrument sound different when played by different people?
Absolutely yes.

whenever "real" musicians have played my instruments....
i realize that ....
i'm not a "real" musician.....

j🌺
kinless

Post by kinless »

A440 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:03 am My instrument is a 1988 Kawai KG-2E baby grand piano. I still play it everyday :happy
We’re not too far off! I have a 1985 Kawai KG-2D that mom bought for me when I was 8. Still have it, although it doesn’t get as much use as yours but comes in handy when prepping for gigs.

I wonder the differences between 2D and 2E…
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Can't post the pictures, but here is a link to some pics and crazy values of the Les Paul Custom Fretless Wonder that I had. Weighed a ton, so I'd play at a club with it one night and then the next night I'd use my Fender Stratocaster which felt light as a feather after the Les Paul.

https://reverb.com/p/gibson-les-paul-custom-1953-1957
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:31 pm Can't post the pictures, but here is a link to some pics and crazy values of the Les Paul Custom Fretless Wonder that I had. Weighed a ton, so I'd play at a club with it one night and then the next night I'd use my Fender Stratocaster which felt light as a feather after the Les Paul.

yikes!!
Was your treasure related to "Christine"? (BB King)

yes the strat is truly comfortable.

do you still play?

thanks for the link
j🌺🌺
dougger5

Post by dougger5 »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:31 pm Can't post the pictures, but here is a link to some pics and crazy values of the Les Paul Custom Fretless Wonder that I had. Weighed a ton, so I'd play at a club with it one night and then the next night I'd use my Fender Stratocaster which felt light as a feather after the Les Paul.

$85 for shipping is just insane.

:wink:
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

dougger5 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:58 pm

That's cheap. Scroll down and look at the cost of shipping on some of the others like mine. The shipping charges on some of them are enough to buy yourself a cheaper guitar! :moneybag
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
dougger5

Post by dougger5 »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:11 pm
dougger5 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:58 pm

That's cheap. Scroll down and look at the cost of shipping on some of the others like mine. The shipping charges on some of them are enough to buy yourself a cheaper guitar! :moneybag
:moneybag Indeed! Actually after paying that much for an instrument I'd be a bit squirrely about having it shipped. Some of those prices are comparable to round-trip airfare! Of course then you still have to worry about treatment in bagging handling. So perhaps...road trip!

Regarding weight, I had a guitar made for me with walnut selected for the body - a rather dense wood. Feels fine sitting down, but not so much standing. A couple years later I had the same luthier make me another one, and after researching wood density a bit more, I opted for ash. Much more comfy.
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

investingdad wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:20 am So in the opinion of the real musicians on here, does the same instrument sound different when played by different people?
Absolutely!

I once knew and took a few lessons with a world-class sax player (he recorded on Bill Evans' last few recordings).

He asked to borrow one of my saxes for a New Year's gig, and I told him I was using my tenor but could loan him my Yamaha student alto; he said fine, and played the hell out of it on the gig. He sounded like himself, not my crappy horn.

I've read that no matter what Charlie Parker played on, he always sound like Charlie Parker. Same with Bill Watrous on trombone.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Absolutely so.

In Hawaii, music and dance (hula) is such an integrated part of Island Culture that it seems everyone and their family and relatives plays music and sings and dances. It's very common to see impromptu music "jams" in garages and back yards, family gatherings, etc, weekends. . all the time.

Commonly asked: "you play music?"
Common answer: "A little bit, 'small kine'. . ." ("kine" means "little") . . this means either a pro or blazing. . as humility is so valued.

Fun Examples:
You're taking ukulele lessons and bought a new uke, the other person plays it like Jake Shimabukuro. . and is 12 years old. . . or younger. .
You bought a new Martin guitar. . . . your little nephew picks it up and plays it like a pro. . . . .
etc.

So. . . generally nobody offers to let anyone play thier instrument without expecting to learn a few things and be amazed.
And. . . it's usually impolite to ask to play someone's instrument. . so one treads carefully unless the person is a friend or such. :D :D

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Musicians
Pros, amateurs, aspirers, dreamers. . .

Set lists?

I had set lists for solo instrumental guitar, etc, Hawaiian Trio, and for types of audiences and venues.
Also request folders. We had a small carry on luggage case that I carted everywhere for this. Now, I think folks just use an IPad?

Anyone care to give sample set lists?

Aloha
kcannon1

Post by kcannon1 »

I was probably 5, and thought what Buck and Roy were doing on Heehaw was cool. Mom bought me a terrible guitar and took me to the local music store for lessons. Those fellas promptly got her to buy a Yamaha acoustic that I still have. Lessons didn't take, too much work for me then. Got to be late 30's and 40's and I started playing electric and building my own amps. Splitting time over both probably ensured I wasn't great at either but I was at least a functional player. Around 55 or so and going to jams I got to know a songwriter/singer who was trying to get something going for herself and she asked me if I was interested in playing guitar in her band. The deal was that the guitar parts were recorded already and the player was her hubby, he is extremely good but was going through some medical things that messed up his guitar playing. There were more than a few times I thought I would never get the parts down but with practice, lots of that, and sometimes even meeting with him or asking questions, I got them where I was proud of them. Cool thing was that she never told me to re-create the recording and I appreciate her for that, it was just so challenging I wanted to do that. It really advanced my playing doing that. You have to push yourself IOW.

After retiring last year been pretty busy with life but I have bought a bass guitar and someday I am going to do more than noodle with it. I also have begun to get my music theory stronger with youtube vids, so still learning and hoping to keep the brain supple. The theory is more enjoyable to me now. Funny how those things evolve.
kcannon1

Post by kcannon1 »

After having a few craigslist transactions completed on my front porch, without a doubt there are differences. My wife, who was always inside the house would sometimes say " I am surprised you sold that guitar, it sounded great" Sometimes it was me, sometimes it was the buyer.
GibsonL6s

Post by GibsonL6s »

Yes, lots of stories of people playing through Eddie Van Halen or another iconic guitarist's rig and realizing they sound like themselves. The musicians hands are a huge part of the sound.
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

kcannon1 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:56 am ...with practice...I got them where I was proud of them.
Yeah, sometimes that's all it takes--hours and hours and hours!
After retiring last year been pretty busy with life but I have bought a bass guitar and someday I am going to do more than noodle with it. I also have begun to get my music theory stronger with youtube vids, so still learning and hoping to keep the brain supple...
I believe retirement may be the best time to pursue our musical goals.
LinearRange

Post by LinearRange »

I play in a bluegrass band. We've been together over 10 years; playing about a dozen gigs a year - farmers markets, restaurants, pubs, parties & the occasional local bluegrass festivals. I've got work, family and other things going on in my life, but the band is a big part of my life.

I never took music lessons as a child. I picked up acoustic then electric guitar in my college and post-college years. I was mostly a bedroom player. I took guitar lessons and some jazz oriented classes at a music school early on.

In my 40's I went to an acoustic music camp that was life changing. Hanging out with other amateurs who were really into music and seeing what was possible really inspired me. After that I started getting together with others, played open mics as a duo/trio, got involved in a couple of groups in various genres (bluegrass, swing, 20s/30s pop, Hawaiian) and eventually ended up in the band I'm in now.

I'm not an especially outgoing person, so for me performing is a bit of a stretch. The beauty and intricacy of music is what has always appealed to me. Now days the social aspect of making music with others is hugely important.

During COVID when I couldn't get together with others I got into composing - both instrumental pieces and songwriting - and recording using MuseScore and Logic Pro. I enjoy composing and recording since it's almost a pure intellectual activity. It's a joy arranging horns & string sections or playing organ or guitar parts that I could never execute in real time.

I've messed with a bunch of different instruments over the years - piano, dobro, lap steel, slide guitar, uke, banjo, mando, fiddle, drums, etc. I sold off my banjo and fiddle about 5 years ago because I'm in my 60s and I don't think I have enough time left to get proficient at those instruments. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems true to me.

It's been an interesting journey. I'm pretty happy with where I am although I wish I had gotten more serious & organized about it when I was younger.
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

LinearRange wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:47 pm I play in a bluegrass band. We've been together over 10 years; playing about a dozen gigs a year...

In my 40's I went to an acoustic music camp that was life changing. Hanging out with other amateurs who were really into music and seeing what was possible really inspired me.

The beauty and intricacy of music is what has always appealed to me. Now days the social aspect of making music with others is hugely important.
Some musicians are content playing alone by themselves, but music is really a social activity and always has been.
...I enjoy composing and recording since it's almost a pure intellectual activity. It's a joy arranging horns & string sections or playing organ or guitar parts that I could never execute in real time.
And the more you do it, the better you get!
It's been an interesting journey. I'm pretty happy with where I am although I wish I had gotten more serious & organized about it when I was younger.
The journey is not over yet!
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

kcannon1 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:56 am I was probably 5, and thought what Buck and Roy were doing on Heehaw was cool. Mom bought me a terrible guitar and took me to the local music store for lessons. Those fellas promptly got her to buy a Yamaha acoustic that I still have. Lessons didn't take, too much work for me then. Got to be late 30's and 40's and I started playing electric and building my own amps. Splitting time over both probably ensured I wasn't great at either but I was at least a functional player. Around 55 or so and going to jams I got to know a songwriter/singer who was trying to get something going for herself and she asked me if I was interested in playing guitar in her band. The deal was that the guitar parts were recorded already and the player was her hubby, he is extremely good but was going through some medical things that messed up his guitar playing. There were more than a few times I thought I would never get the parts down but with practice, lots of that, and sometimes even meeting with him or asking questions, I got them where I was proud of them. Cool thing was that she never told me to re-create the recording and I appreciate her for that, it was just so challenging I wanted to do that. It really advanced my playing doing that. You have to push yourself IOW.

After retiring last year been pretty busy with life but I have bought a bass guitar and someday I am going to do more than noodle with it. I also have begun to get my music theory stronger with youtube vids, so still learning and hoping to keep the brain supple. The theory is more enjoyable to me now. Funny how those things evolve.
Thanks for sharing your music evolution. . . :D :D

What kind of Bass Guitar did you get?
What kind of amplifier for it?

Music theory seems to come and go as other parts of my grasp and understanding and practical application of musicianship, etc, develop (or decline?).
Maybe, it's a foundation that needs to be built up and expanded as we learn or attempt to play beyond our abilities (or stuck in the same groove forever).
OTOH I've met so many awesome "by ear" pro musicians who don't know much music theory, can't read notes or tab or even a basic chord only lead sheet, and barely know the names of the chords they play.
So, I don't know what role music theory might have with a musician? :confused

I know a lot of folks that "noodle" for 40 years, still playing a poor version of "Stairway to Heaven", "Classical Gas", and other bits and pieces. Then strumming the same 3 or 4 open chord songs on a guitar. And, have a great time, with no desire to learn more or grow. Which is great, for them.

Here's a cool tip to challenge your "bass guitar playing".

What I do for bass guitar fun (and homework):
(not in order)
Plug in or Blue Tooth my Iphone (5000+ songs) into my sound system and turn the bass down on the sound system.
Play along your bass guitar with various genres of music or songs with basic beginner bass patters (doo wop, oldies, country, etc),
Print out the sheet music from online if you want to ground your bass lines in the chord changes,
Listen with a pair of really good ear muff headphones to hear what the bass is doing.
Etc.

There can be a lot of more obvious "theory" in bass guitar, knowing the notes up to the 7th fret really really well, able to do 12 bar blues patterns by feel and sound (if westernized music, rock, blues, etc), hearing how the 1,3,5's run in a song, scales (from blues to etc).

The above fun homework, jamming with recorded songs you like, really helps get locked into the drums, song rhythm, etc, as well.

"Real" bass players (not me at all) here will have better input than my basics. Hope they chime in. :D :D

Great stuff!

Bass players rock! :D :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
kcannon1

Post by kcannon1 »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:27 am
kcannon1 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:56 am I was probably 5, and thought what Buck and Roy were doing on Heehaw was cool. Mom bought me a terrible guitar and took me to the local music store for lessons. Those fellas promptly got her to buy a Yamaha acoustic that I still have. Lessons didn't take, too much work for me then. Got to be late 30's and 40's and I started playing electric and building my own amps. Splitting time over both probably ensured I wasn't great at either but I was at least a functional player. Around 55 or so and going to jams I got to know a songwriter/singer who was trying to get something going for herself and she asked me if I was interested in playing guitar in her band. The deal was that the guitar parts were recorded already and the player was her hubby, he is extremely good but was going through some medical things that messed up his guitar playing. There were more than a few times I thought I would never get the parts down but with practice, lots of that, and sometimes even meeting with him or asking questions, I got them where I was proud of them. Cool thing was that she never told me to re-create the recording and I appreciate her for that, it was just so challenging I wanted to do that. It really advanced my playing doing that. You have to push yourself IOW.

Thanks for sharing your music evolution. . . :D :D

What kind of Bass Guitar did you get?
What kind of amplifier for it?

Music theory seems to come and go as other parts of my grasp and understanding and practical application of musicianship, etc, develop (or decline?).
Maybe, it's a foundation that needs to be built up and expanded as we learn or attempt to play beyond our abilities (or stuck in the same groove forever).
OTOH I've met so many awesome "by ear" pro musicians who don't know much music theory, can't read notes or tab or even a basic chord only lead sheet, and barely know the names of the chords they play.

I know a lot of folks that "noodle" for 40 years, still playing a poor version of "Stairway to Heaven", "Classical Gas", and other bits and pieces. Then strumming the same 3 or 4 open chord songs on a guitar. And, have a great time, with no desire to learn more or grow. Which is great, for them.

Here's a cool tip to challenge your "bass guitar playing".

What I do for bass guitar fun (and homework):
(not in order)
Plug in or Blue Tooth my Iphone (5000+ songs) into my sound system and turn the bass down on the sound system.
Play along your bass guitar with various genres of music or songs with basic beginner bass patters (doo wop, oldies, country, etc),
Print out the sheet music from online if you want to ground your bass lines in the chord changes,
Listen with a pair of really good ear muff headphones to hear what the bass is doing.
Etc.

There can be a lot of more obvious "theory" in bass guitar, knowing the notes up to the 7th fret really really well, able to do 12 bar blues patterns by feel and sound (if westernized music, rock, blues, etc), hearing how the 1,3,5's run in a song, scales (from blues to etc).

The above fun homework, jamming with recorded songs you like, really helps get locked into the drums, song rhythm, etc, as well.

Great stuff!

Sandtrap,

A bass playing buddy of mine passed away last year. His Dad, who lived a few houses down from me then, was liquidating his son's music gear. Most stuff was higher dollar Steinberger's or Fender basses but he did have a few Bohemian Oil Can basses and his Dad was down to the last one and asked me if I wanted it. I had helped the Dad get some of my buddies gear back in desirable shape, nothing big just some scratchy pots etc. I wasn't looking for a bass but could tell the gear purging was getting a little long in the tooth for the guy so I said sure man, I'll be happy to buy it. He didn't want anything near what they go for, he just wanted it to be over. I got a new Fender Rumble 40 for it, lightest amp I own. They must use balsa cause the cab alone should weigh more than what it does. Another bass buddy has sent me some easy bass songs and I know enough guitar to entertain myself with simple blues bass stuff now but haven't learned any songs, yet.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

kcannon1 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:04 am
Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:27 am . . .
. . <snip>
. . . .
Great stuff!

Sandtrap,

A bass playing buddy of mine passed away last year. His Dad, who lived a few houses down from me then, was liquidating his son's music gear. Most stuff was higher dollar Steinberger's or Fender basses but he did have a few Bohemian Oil Can basses and his Dad was down to the last one and asked me if I wanted it. I had helped the Dad get some of my buddies gear back in desirable shape, nothing big just some scratchy pots etc. I wasn't looking for a bass but could tell the gear purging was getting a little long in the tooth for the guy so I said sure man, I'll be happy to buy it. He didn't want anything near what they go for, he just wanted it to be over. I got a new Fender Rumble 40 for it, lightest amp I own. They must use balsa cause the cab alone should weigh more than what it does. Another bass buddy has sent me some easy bass songs and I know enough guitar to entertain myself with simple blues bass stuff now but haven't learned any songs, yet.
Great story!

I use a Fender Ruble 40 as well. It's very light. Maybe balsa wood. Dunno.
Enough for home practice. I doubt it would cut through the noise/racket of an outdoor small gathering or even an amped up trio with "plugged in" guitars. But, the sound is solid for an affordable bass amp.
The best thing is, it's light, easy on the spine. :D :D
I used to have a heavy bass amp, but . . . it was seldom used. Too heavy.

I have a short scale bass guitar with flatwound jazz strings. Sort of the bass guitar for guitar people in a way. It works for having fun. :D :D

Great stuff!
Have fun!!!! :D :D :D :D

Aloha
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Bass players
and sound techs....

Question:

Does a bass guitar with a "passive" pickup system need to be plugged into a preamp before the bass amp?

Will it increase volume?

J🌺
camontgo

Post by camontgo »

Enjoying this thread...I played violin for about 10 yrs as a kid. My daughter plays now, so I still dust off my old violin to attempt a duet now and then.

These days, I'm mostly interested in building instruments. My latest is a tenor uke made from walnut, cherry, and reclaimed cedar.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George E. P Box
dougger5

Post by dougger5 »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:11 am Bass players
and sound techs....

Question:

Does a bass guitar with a "passive" pickup system need to be plugged into a preamp before the bass amp?

Will it increase volume?

J🌺
A bass amp generally already has a preamp - that's where all the tone controls and such come into play. The voltages coming out of the output jack are comparable to what they would be with active pickups - it's all "instrument level."

ETA: That being said, there is a myriad of pedals that will provide a certain boost effect as might be required/desired in live performance.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Jazztonight wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:16 am
kcannon1 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:56 am ...with practice...I got them where I was proud of them.
Yeah, sometimes that's all it takes--hours and hours and hours!
After retiring last year been pretty busy with life but I have bought a bass guitar and someday I am going to do more than noodle with it. I also have begun to get my music theory stronger with youtube vids, so still learning and hoping to keep the brain supple...
I believe retirement may be the best time to pursue our musical goals.
I started when I retired at age 55 in 2008. Best decision I ever made. It took a while to get to the point where I was any good (it takes more effort when you learn later in life), but it was definitely worth it!
Topic Author
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

camontgo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:29 am Enjoying this thread...I played violin for about 10 yrs as a kid. My daughter plays now, so I still dust off my old violin to attempt a duet now and then.
Great that you can do that, and I hope she has fun playing with you.
These days, I'm mostly interested in building instruments. My latest is a tenor uke made from walnut, cherry, and reclaimed cedar.
That's a beautiful instrument!
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:27 am OTOH I've met so many awesome "by ear" pro musicians who don't know much music theory, can't read notes or tab or even a basic chord only lead sheet, and barely know the names of the chords they play.
I recommend music theory highly. That said, I've always felt that even the most staunch "by ear" player still has developed some kind of "theory" about the music they play--that is, some sort of intellectual framework or heuristics that helps them understand and organize their own musical concepts, see and apply musical patterns, etc. Obviously, it's not the standard formal music theory, but it's a music theory nonetheless.

As a kid I could barely read music and knew little formal theory. But even then I figured out what chords where and how to make them, and noticed patterns about how certain chords and notes seemed to often "go together" in songs. That was a perfectly valid "theory of music" right there, homegrown though it might've been.

(Important to stress here that music doesn't come from theory... music existed first, and theory was just a framework we built over it to try to make sense of things.)

So I don't think a musician needs formal theory any more than a foreign language learner needs to understand formal grammar. You'll still develop a helpful mental framework eventually--it almost can't be stopped.

The advantage to studying and learning formal/standard music theory (or formal grammar for that matter), is that you'll get that framework a whole lot faster, without missteps and wrong turns, and it will be a shared framework that will allow for discussion with and inspiration from other people.
"All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again."