Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
Topic Author
z91
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:19 pm

Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by z91 »

I have a 2010 Toyota my wife and I love to drive. It seems to drive fine but we took it in for brakes and found the ABS has issues (1k part + 800 labor, ouch!) then they confirmed we had some issues with some axles that need replacing and a few other misc things I wouldn't argue about. Altogether the bill is 3k, for a car that's currently worth 3k in trade-in. I'm certain the work needs to be done (consensus with 3 mechanics, and I know a bit about cars, just don't have a garage nor the time to do this myself).

Obviously it's hard to get a replacement car now at a decent price, and we'd probably be spending 35k+ easily for a like car. This work is being done at an indy shop and I was quoted 5k for the same work at the dealer :shock:

The car has a timing chain and other wear parts were taken care of not long ago (spark plugs, valve cover gasket, spark plug gaskets, intake air sensor, new tires, new brakes), so I'm hoping the repairs would last another year at least? The car has 150k miles on it and otherwise drives well.

Should we save the 3k for a new car now, or spend the money and repair? I am not sure what to do :confused Please help..how do you decide? It's a pretty big bill and while I can afford a new car, I don't want to unnecessarily buy one. Covid and supply chain issues have really made this decision difficult. If this were pre-covid we'd probably just be at the dealership or looking at some lightly used cars to replace it with.
User avatar
rob
Posts: 4035
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:49 pm
Location: Here

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by rob »

How long is the car likely to last IF you did the fixes you describe? If the 3K gets you another decade - easy right... If the 3K gets you another 10 months?? 1 year??
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
bloom2708
Posts: 9099
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by bloom2708 »

150k is my line in the sand for "it is time for something new or newer".

From 100k to 150k you can buy lower cost miles. After that it is a coin flip.

If you know the car/SUV you want, go to the dealer, see what is coming in and put your name on the one you want. In my area, used car prices are starting to come down. Trade in values are starting to drop.

If you are true "car shopping" and don't know what you want, then it is not a very fun time to shop.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Kagord
Posts: 1144
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:28 pm

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by Kagord »

Was this a surprise, or was there an ABS light on the dash, did the light illuminate after the brake job? Carelessness on a brake job could lead to a broken wheel speed sensor wire.

I'd suggest to get a 2nd opinion in any event from a local Toyota independent shop.

As others say, need more details, car model...etc. I consider my 26 year old Toyota Camry the most reliable car I own.
Last edited by Kagord on Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
z91
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:19 pm

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by z91 »

:oops: posted in personal finance but should probably be consumer issues, my apologies.
rob wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:41 pm How long is the car likely to last IF you did the fixes you describe? If the 3K gets you another decade - easy right... If the 3K gets you another 10 months?? 1 year??
That's the conundrum. I still see these cars all over town (even some 5-7 years older than ours) so I'd hope it lasts a little while longer? Who knows when the car ever decides to give up the ghost though.

We've spent ~20k OTD on this car and at 150k miles, that takes us to around 13c/mile. If we spend 35k on a new car and expect it to also last 150k miles, that's 23c/mile. So the 3k should last us another ~13k miles for us to break even from buying a new car (obviously this is a mathematical way of looking at it and doesn't take into consideration things like creature comforts or safety improvements of a new car..).
Kagord wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:44 pm Was this a surprise, or was there an ABS light on the dash, did the light illuminate after the brake job? Carelessness on a brake job could lead to a broken wheel speed sensor wire.

I'd suggest to get a 2nd opinion in any event from a local Toyota independent shop.
We've had 3 opinions now, all of them pointing to the ABS module, the car is currently at an indy shop :D

The brakes have been intermittently spongy lately. They checked the sensors and they are all fine, the mechanics all pointed to the ABS.
Kagord
Posts: 1144
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:28 pm

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by Kagord »

z91 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:49 pm :oops: posted in personal finance but should probably be consumer issues, my apologies.
rob wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:41 pm How long is the car likely to last IF you did the fixes you describe? If the 3K gets you another decade - easy right... If the 3K gets you another 10 months?? 1 year??
That's the conundrum. I still see these cars all over town (even some 5-7 years older than ours) so I'd hope it lasts a little while longer? Who knows when the car ever decides to give up the ghost though.

We've spent ~20k OTD on this car and at 150k miles, that takes us to around 13c/mile. If we spend 35k on a new car and expect it to also last 150k miles, that's 23c/mile. So the 3k should last us another ~13k miles for us to break even from buying a new car (obviously this is a mathematical way of looking at it and doesn't take into consideration things like creature comforts or safety improvements of a new car..).
Kagord wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:44 pm Was this a surprise, or was there an ABS light on the dash, did the light illuminate after the brake job? Carelessness on a brake job could lead to a broken wheel speed sensor wire.

I'd suggest to get a 2nd opinion in any event from a local Toyota independent shop.
We've had 3 opinions now, all of them pointing to the ABS module, the car is currently at an indy shop :D

The brakes have been intermittently spongy lately. They checked the sensors and they are all fine, the mechanics all pointed to the ABS.
Have you had your brakes bled recently? My guess is they already tried and retried that, but asking.
THY4373
Posts: 1910
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by THY4373 »

If the car is otherwise reliable and in decent shape I'd repair it. I currently drive a 2010 car with 150k and have a 2008 SUV with about 128k (son's car, secondary car while he is at college) and I'd put $3000 into either of them. Also you might be surprised by your current car's value. Both of mine are up about $1k this year per the valuation for my personal property tax and that is usually a bit lower than market. Both are worth around $4500 +/- now vs $3500 last year.
User avatar
mrmass
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: MA

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by mrmass »

FWIW, I paid about $2200 for an ABS module thingy on my 2006 CRV. That's about the only thing that's needed to be fixed on it. I hated paying but the CRV will last me a few more years.
UpperNwGuy
Posts: 8081
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I just spent $4000 on repairs (brakes, tires, ball joint, and a few other things) to my 2002 Volkswagen Golf. I'm thinking this will keep it running for another year or more.

I had planned to buy a new car in the spring of 2020, but then the pandemic hit. Now I'm waiting for the parts shortages to end and the prices to come back down.
runner23
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:45 am

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by runner23 »

Just spent $3k myself on a 2002 car with 165k miles. Should last me another few years. It’s also a Toyota. 4runner 💪. I would say repair. No way I’m buying a new or used car right now even though I could easily.
Cautionary Tale
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:56 pm

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by Cautionary Tale »

I’m in the same conundrum. 2006 Honda Civic with 182k. Needs $1400 in repairs. I’m just gonna fix it. Can’t bring myself to make a huge purchase under such lousy conditions.
User avatar
Lee_WSP
Posts: 7526
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:15 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by Lee_WSP »

In depreciation alone, a new Rav4 (unsure of exact model you're referring to or age) will cost you $8,681 over 5 years, or $1700 a year. If you keep it ten years, the depreciation hit is actually greater at $2k a year oddly enough.

https://caredge.com/toyota/rav4/depreci ... =5&m=19500

As such, if the repairs will last you 3 years or longer before needing another costly repair, I'd say that repairing the car will be cheaper. If you think a major repair will occur again in the next year, then a new car may actually be financially superior on a depreciation alone basis. I think the expected maintenance costs bumps up that $2k figure to $2.5k a year.
exodusNH
Posts: 4311
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:21 pm

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by exodusNH »

z91 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:33 pm I have a 2010 Toyota my wife and I love to drive. It seems to drive fine but we took it in for brakes and found the ABS has issues (1k part + 800 labor, ouch!) then they confirmed we had some issues with some axles that need replacing and a few other misc things I wouldn't argue about. Altogether the bill is 3k, for a car that's currently worth 3k in trade-in. I'm certain the work needs to be done (consensus with 3 mechanics, and I know a bit about cars, just don't have a garage nor the time to do this myself).

Obviously it's hard to get a replacement car now at a decent price, and we'd probably be spending 35k+ easily for a like car. This work is being done at an indy shop and I was quoted 5k for the same work at the dealer :shock:

The car has a timing chain and other wear parts were taken care of not long ago (spark plugs, valve cover gasket, spark plug gaskets, intake air sensor, new tires, new brakes), so I'm hoping the repairs would last another year at least? The car has 150k miles on it and otherwise drives well.

Should we save the 3k for a new car now, or spend the money and repair? I am not sure what to do :confused Please help..how do you decide? It's a pretty big bill and while I can afford a new car, I don't want to unnecessarily buy one. Covid and supply chain issues have really made this decision difficult. If this were pre-covid we'd probably just be at the dealership or looking at some lightly used cars to replace it with.
If you've been changing the oil regularly and don't drive it like a maniac, you should be able to get to 200k no problem.
sk2101
Posts: 571
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:54 pm

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by sk2101 »

You can buy an used ABS module on ebay for about $200, that will cut in the total repair almost in half. No much gain in putting a brand new part when the rest of the car has 150k miles.
Jack FFR1846
Posts: 15076
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am
Location: 26 miles, 385 yards west of Copley Square

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I look at the car and what is expected for near term needed repairs or replacements. And like you, I spent $3500 on a 2013 Subaru Crosstrek that Car Max last quoted me $2800 for them to buy. The car had 150k miles when the repairs were done.

The car had the engine replaced under warranty at 100k miles.
The car had the transmission replaced under warranty at 53k miles.
The brakes are fine and I do them myself and because I have Auto Zone lifetime pads, doing pads costs me time and $0.
The CVT trans fluid, filters and the infamous solenoid control part was done at this 150k service
Also done were the CV axles and a ball joint and a wheel bearing.
I had the other 3 wheel bearings done at about 100k miles.
At just over 150k miles, we got new tires.
The car today has 170k miles on it and one of my sons drives it.

I have looked for a replacement car. I looked for a 2 year newer one with 100k miles and with a manual transmission to avoid CVT problems. I'm looking at near $10k at a dealer. $8k on Craigslist. Here's the problem: What if I do this swap and then need 4 wheel bearings and a couple ball joints? Ok, so now I'm another $2500 into the hole. A new one would sell right around MSRP at about $25k. To me, the current car is pretty reliable and up to date with all needed services and replacements and expected things to break.

What is the condition, maintenance history and repair history of your car? If you're confident that they're all good, then keep the car. If you paid $3500, can you even get a new car for say that amount for a year? Of course with replacements, don't forget sales tax, higher property tax, registration costs.

I think a lot more people are keeping their cars if they're in good shape. Even old or high miles. I have thought ahead and if for some reason, something completely failed on this car where it really needs replacement, fortunately we have extra cars in our family, so I could let my son drive one of those and for the very few miles I drive, I can drive around in my Wrangler while I decide what to do which could mean I do an engine swap or something.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
seychellois_lib
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:05 am

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by seychellois_lib »

I feel old. 2005 toy Corolla 210k miles. In my experience toy is annoyingly reliable. At this rate I will never get to shop for that new car smell.

We have done all routine maint pretty much on sched over the years. Never had a major problem. Worst was AC where I had to replace compressor.

I won't even think about replacement until the chip short ends and used gets back to normal pricing. Two or three years?

Had a Chevy spark ev leased for commute prior to retirement. Loved the speedy little devil but hated always thinking about range.
Base Hit
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:53 pm

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by Base Hit »

Safety, reliability and aggravation says it's time.
Valuethinker
Posts: 44955
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by Valuethinker »

z91 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:33 pm I have a 2010 Toyota my wife and I love to drive. It seems to drive fine but we took it in for brakes and found the ABS has issues (1k part + 800 labor, ouch!) then they confirmed we had some issues with some axles that need replacing and a few other misc things I wouldn't argue about. Altogether the bill is 3k, for a car that's currently worth 3k in trade-in. I'm certain the work needs to be done (consensus with 3 mechanics, and I know a bit about cars, just don't have a garage nor the time to do this myself).

Obviously it's hard to get a replacement car now at a decent price, and we'd probably be spending 35k+ easily for a like car. This work is being done at an indy shop and I was quoted 5k for the same work at the dealer :shock:

The car has a timing chain and other wear parts were taken care of not long ago (spark plugs, valve cover gasket, spark plug gaskets, intake air sensor, new tires, new brakes), so I'm hoping the repairs would last another year at least? The car has 150k miles on it and otherwise drives well.

Should we save the 3k for a new car now, or spend the money and repair? I am not sure what to do :confused Please help..how do you decide? It's a pretty big bill and while I can afford a new car, I don't want to unnecessarily buy one. Covid and supply chain issues have really made this decision difficult. If this were pre-covid we'd probably just be at the dealership or looking at some lightly used cars to replace it with.
In normal circumstances it would surely be time to replace the car. North American cars last on average 12-13 years, but right now due to shortages of new cars, that has probably stretched out.

There is a global shortage of new cars. If you can possibly replace, you should. But it's a terrible time to be buying a car.

So I would say repair, cross your fingers, and look to buy in 2023 or as car shortages ease (if they do).
Mr. Rumples
Posts: 2061
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:16 am

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by Mr. Rumples »

For myself, this would be on the cusp. My rule of thumb prior to the pandemic was if a repair was going to cost more than a year's worth of payments - if the vehicle was financed - I'd replace. With the increase in prices, $3,000 is below that marker. The other issue is getting the vehicle one wants now and what about replacement parts? Thus, I'd repair, and figure if it lasts 6 to 10 months, the repair has paid for itself if a new vehicle is needed.

My vehicle is 21 years old. I also like not having to worry about scratches and dings, though like me, she cleans up pretty well for her age.
“To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one’s Mother’s side, is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Country, and a Benediction from Above.”—Anonymous
Chip
Posts: 3848
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:57 am

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by Chip »

Given the circumstances you describe I would definitely repair it.

1. You've been averaging 12k miles per year. Toyotas routinely run over 200k miles (though no guarantees, of course). So you'd likely get 4 more years out of it.

2. You just took care of lots of maintenance items that should make getting to 200k more likely.

3. If you don't fix the ABS your trade-in value will be appropriately reduced.

4. It's a lousy time to buy a new or used car.

5. You like the car.

FWIW our last Toyota went 243k before another driver hit it and totaled it. By that time we were pretty tired of it so it was a convenient, if somewhat harrowing, way to dispose of it.
Valuethinker
Posts: 44955
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by Valuethinker »

Chip wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:45 am Given the circumstances you describe I would definitely repair it.

1. You've been averaging 12k miles per year. Toyotas routinely run over 200k miles (though no guarantees, of course). So you'd likely get 4 more years out of it.

2. You just took care of lots of maintenance items that should make getting to 200k more likely.

3. If you don't fix the ABS your trade-in value will be appropriately reduced.

4. It's a lousy time to buy a new or used car.

5. You like the car.

FWIW our last Toyota went 243k before another driver hit it and totaled it. By that time we were pretty tired of it so it was a convenient, if somewhat harrowing, way to dispose of it.
I misread this in the original post.

By all means one should repair the ABS. I don't imagine this is optional? I would not want to drive a car without ABS, and I wouldn't want to cause someone else to drive a car without ABS (is this even legal? Would it not expose one to the risk of liability if future owner of car had a bad accident?).
backpacker61
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 6:36 am

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by backpacker61 »

Answers to this are going to be all over the map.

My car is 20 years old, just rolled over 250K, and it's a marque considered a lot less reliable than a Toyota. I just have come to expect cars will have an expensive repair every two or three years (struts, transmission, A/C, etc).

If the body is in good condition, and you and your family enjoy driving it, I would just fix it and move on. It's a terrible time to be in the market for a vehicle.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
exodusNH
Posts: 4311
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:21 pm

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by exodusNH »

Valuethinker wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:47 am
Chip wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:45 am Given the circumstances you describe I would definitely repair it.

1. You've been averaging 12k miles per year. Toyotas routinely run over 200k miles (though no guarantees, of course). So you'd likely get 4 more years out of it.

2. You just took care of lots of maintenance items that should make getting to 200k more likely.

3. If you don't fix the ABS your trade-in value will be appropriately reduced.

4. It's a lousy time to buy a new or used car.

5. You like the car.

FWIW our last Toyota went 243k before another driver hit it and totaled it. By that time we were pretty tired of it so it was a convenient, if somewhat harrowing, way to dispose of it.
I misread this in the original post.

By all means one should repair the ABS. I don't imagine this is optional? I would not want to drive a car without ABS, and I wouldn't want to cause someone else to drive a car without ABS (is this even legal? Would it not expose one to the risk of liability if future owner of car had a bad accident?).
ABS failure should mean that the car reverts to standard braking. If OP grew up without ABS, the whole "pump the brakes" SOP might be a latent muscle memory.

In the US, cars can be sold "as is". Unless the OP deactivated the idiot light showing the failure, they'd be fine.

My SO's Mazda was part of the fuel pump recall. It could fail at highway speeds. (Obviously very dangerous.) In January, she traded it in for a new model. The dealer said that they were sending her used one to CarMax. Replacement parts wouldn't be available until at least July. They were legally able to sell the vehicle to the public as long as they got the customer to sign a waiver, but the dealer wasn't willing to do that. (4th generation family business.)
deltaneutral83
Posts: 2168
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:25 pm

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by deltaneutral83 »

I don't know much about cars but a $35k new car today will be worth $30k once you put 1,000 miles on it in the first 3-5 weeks. I assume the worst of the auto supply chain issues are baked into the prices of cars. A 2010 Toyota with 150k miles will most likely get you another year (and hopefully 3+ years) in which case you'd be way ahead. Now there is some value in driving a new car vs a 2010, but is it worth it, you're break even on the dollars is a very short amount of time. The only way this doesn't work out monetarily to do the repairs is if the transmission falls out within 2-3 months of the work done. It is also noteworthy that the $3k trade in mentioned in OP is trade in, not private sell. If it were running fine that car is easily worth $5k in my zip code(s). If repairs are done and this car goes 3 more years vs buying $35k new, the money saved will be significant proportionally, probably to the tune of $15-$18k all in (depreciation/insurance/taxes).
wander
Posts: 4168
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by wander »

I like to drive an old cars. Our oldest car is an almost 30-year old V8. But I do all the maintenance/repair stuffs so far, so it doesn't cost much while maintaining that cars at top performance. Actually, I am just doing what I like to do in any environment. Some people can tolerate old cars without air conditioner. Well, not with me, I will fix it.
Point
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:33 pm

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by Point »

You've done all the right homework and comparisons. I would go for the repair as its very likely you'll get more than 13K of usage. In the interim, start preparing yourself financially for the eventual replacement. And, you'll extend yourself into a likely better auto purchase market than todays.
z91 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:49 pm :oops: posted in personal finance but should probably be consumer issues, my apologies.
rob wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:41 pm How long is the car likely to last IF you did the fixes you describe? If the 3K gets you another decade - easy right... If the 3K gets you another 10 months?? 1 year??
That's the conundrum. I still see these cars all over town (even some 5-7 years older than ours) so I'd hope it lasts a little while longer? Who knows when the car ever decides to give up the ghost though.

We've spent ~20k OTD on this car and at 150k miles, that takes us to around 13c/mile. If we spend 35k on a new car and expect it to also last 150k miles, that's 23c/mile. So the 3k should last us another ~13k miles for us to break even from buying a new car (obviously this is a mathematical way of looking at it and doesn't take into consideration things like creature comforts or safety improvements of a new car..).
Kagord wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:44 pm Was this a surprise, or was there an ABS light on the dash, did the light illuminate after the brake job? Carelessness on a brake job could lead to a broken wheel speed sensor wire.

I'd suggest to get a 2nd opinion in any event from a local Toyota independent shop.
We've had 3 opinions now, all of them pointing to the ABS module, the car is currently at an indy shop :D

The brakes have been intermittently spongy lately. They checked the sensors and they are all fine, the mechanics all pointed to the ABS.
wolf359
Posts: 2824
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:47 am

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by wolf359 »

bloom2708 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:43 pm 150k is my line in the sand for "it is time for something new or newer".

From 100k to 150k you can buy lower cost miles. After that it is a coin flip.

If you know the car/SUV you want, go to the dealer, see what is coming in and put your name on the one you want. In my area, used car prices are starting to come down. Trade in values are starting to drop.

If you are true "car shopping" and don't know what you want, then it is not a very fun time to shop.
If you a true "car shopping" and are not locked into a particular car model, then you may be able to be flexible, and target the less popular models and brands. Those dealers are more likely to bargain with you.

For example, during the peak demand this year, Honda and Toyota dealers demanded a higher markup above MSRP than Hyundai dealers did.
CletusCaddy
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:23 am

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by CletusCaddy »

z91 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:49 pm We've spent ~20k OTD on this car and at 150k miles, that takes us to around 13c/mile.
You are not counting the maintenance you’ve had to put into the car in that number. You’re also not counting the $3k of equity that you can get back by selling it.
CletusCaddy
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:23 am

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by CletusCaddy »

deltaneutral83 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:59 am I don't know much about cars but a $35k new car today will be worth $30k once you put 1,000 miles on it in the first 3-5 weeks.
Not true
bloom2708
Posts: 9099
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by bloom2708 »

wolf359 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:10 am
bloom2708 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:43 pm 150k is my line in the sand for "it is time for something new or newer".

From 100k to 150k you can buy lower cost miles. After that it is a coin flip.

If you know the car/SUV you want, go to the dealer, see what is coming in and put your name on the one you want. In my area, used car prices are starting to come down. Trade in values are starting to drop.

If you are true "car shopping" and don't know what you want, then it is not a very fun time to shop.
If you a true "car shopping" and are not locked into a particular car model, then you may be able to be flexible, and target the less popular models and brands. Those dealers are more likely to bargain with you.

For example, during the peak demand this year, Honda and Toyota dealers demanded a higher markup above MSRP than Hyundai dealers did.
Yes, but actually driving one of the cars you might like or want to buy is not an option.

Say I want to test drive a Rav4 Hybrid, a CX-5 and an HRV. I'm not sure which one I'd like more. Well, there are none available to sit in or drive.

If you just know you want a CX-5, you can put your name on one arriving in a month or 2 and buy it when it comes in.

I just meant that "I'm not sure what car I like" is harder. We are not in a big metropolis area, so that likely adds to the issues. In a big urban area you might have 5 Honda dealers and one might have a car to test drive.

Car buying is easier than car shopping.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
delamer
Posts: 14264
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by delamer »

You didn’t say how urgently you need a working vehicle.*

We know a few people that have bought new cars at decent prices during the pandemic. So if you have the time to spend a few days shopping for a new car, then what do you have to lose?

If you have a CarMax nearby, they can be a good way to investigate a few used models just to get a general feel for different options/brands. And there’s the possibility that you’ll find nearly-new used car that you like.

*One of our adult children’s car has been in the shop for 2 weeks waiting for a part.

Good luck.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
Valuethinker
Posts: 44955
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by Valuethinker »

exodusNH wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:57 am
Valuethinker wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:47 am
Chip wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:45 am Given the circumstances you describe I would definitely repair it.

1. You've been averaging 12k miles per year. Toyotas routinely run over 200k miles (though no guarantees, of course). So you'd likely get 4 more years out of it.

2. You just took care of lots of maintenance items that should make getting to 200k more likely.

3. If you don't fix the ABS your trade-in value will be appropriately reduced.

4. It's a lousy time to buy a new or used car.

5. You like the car.

FWIW our last Toyota went 243k before another driver hit it and totaled it. By that time we were pretty tired of it so it was a convenient, if somewhat harrowing, way to dispose of it.
I misread this in the original post.

By all means one should repair the ABS. I don't imagine this is optional? I would not want to drive a car without ABS, and I wouldn't want to cause someone else to drive a car without ABS (is this even legal? Would it not expose one to the risk of liability if future owner of car had a bad accident?).
ABS failure should mean that the car reverts to standard braking. If OP grew up without ABS, the whole "pump the brakes" SOP might be a latent muscle memory.

In the US, cars can be sold "as is". Unless the OP deactivated the idiot light showing the failure, they'd be fine.

My SO's Mazda was part of the fuel pump recall. It could fail at highway speeds. (Obviously very dangerous.) In January, she traded it in for a new model. The dealer said that they were sending her used one to CarMax. Replacement parts wouldn't be available until at least July. They were legally able to sell the vehicle to the public as long as they got the customer to sign a waiver, but the dealer wasn't willing to do that. (4th generation family business.)
Thank you that is interesting.

I am not actually sure the legal position across the border. It might be "as is" as well.
Valuethinker
Posts: 44955
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by Valuethinker »

Valuethinker wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:11 am
z91 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:33 pm I have a 2010 Toyota my wife and I love to drive. It seems to drive fine but we took it in for brakes and found the ABS has issues (1k part + 800 labor, ouch!) then they confirmed we had some issues with some axles that need replacing and a few other misc things I wouldn't argue about. Altogether the bill is 3k, for a car that's currently worth 3k in trade-in. I'm certain the work needs to be done (consensus with 3 mechanics, and I know a bit about cars, just don't have a garage nor the time to do this myself).

Obviously it's hard to get a replacement car now at a decent price, and we'd probably be spending 35k+ easily for a like car. This work is being done at an indy shop and I was quoted 5k for the same work at the dealer :shock:

The car has a timing chain and other wear parts were taken care of not long ago (spark plugs, valve cover gasket, spark plug gaskets, intake air sensor, new tires, new brakes), so I'm hoping the repairs would last another year at least? The car has 150k miles on it and otherwise drives well.

Should we save the 3k for a new car now, or spend the money and repair? I am not sure what to do :confused Please help..how do you decide? It's a pretty big bill and while I can afford a new car, I don't want to unnecessarily buy one. Covid and supply chain issues have really made this decision difficult. If this were pre-covid we'd probably just be at the dealership or looking at some lightly used cars to replace it with.
In normal circumstances it would surely be time to replace the car. North American cars last on average 12-13 years, but right now due to shortages of new cars, that has probably stretched out.

There is a global shortage of new cars. If you can possibly replace, you should. But it's a terrible time to be buying a car.

So I would say repair, cross your fingers, and look to buy in 2023 or as car shortages ease (if they do).
I should add that if you are considering replacing then the outlay to keep the car would seem very small? Not material to your savings plans?

It's just not the year to be buying a new car. Both choice of model and cost.

As other posters note, even test driving one is not generally possible - to compare makes & models.

Repair & wait.
User avatar
Watty
Posts: 25240
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by Watty »

z91 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:33 pm Altogether the bill is 3k, for a car that's currently worth 3k in trade-in.
....
Obviously it's hard to get a replacement car now at a decent price, and we'd probably be spending 35k+ easily for a like car.
What car model?

What you do with a Corolla might be a lot different than with a more expensive SUV.

Many new cars are selling for a crazy price if you find one on a dealers lot but if you are willing to order one and wait a few months for deliverly then it sounds like there are many cars which are available for MSRP.

There are endless threads about replacing cars to get the latest safety features and there is no consensus but if you have ample resources and can can get one for near MSRP then a good case can be made for getting a new car with better safety features.
Tundrama
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:26 am

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by Tundrama »

z91 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:33 pm I have a 2010 Toyota my wife and I love to drive. It seems to drive fine but we took it in for brakes and found the ABS has issues (1k part + 800 labor, ouch!) then they confirmed we had some issues with some axles that need replacing and a few other misc things I wouldn't argue about. Altogether the bill is 3k, for a car that's currently worth 3k in trade-in. I'm certain the work needs to be done (consensus with 3 mechanics, and I know a bit about cars, just don't have a garage nor the time to do this myself).

Obviously it's hard to get a replacement car now at a decent price, and we'd probably be spending 35k+ easily for a like car. This work is being done at an indy shop and I was quoted 5k for the same work at the dealer :shock:

The car has a timing chain and other wear parts were taken care of not long ago (spark plugs, valve cover gasket, spark plug gaskets, intake air sensor, new tires, new brakes), so I'm hoping the repairs would last another year at least? The car has 150k miles on it and otherwise drives well.

Should we save the 3k for a new car now, or spend the money and repair? I am not sure what to do :confused Please help..how do you decide? It's a pretty big bill and while I can afford a new car, I don't want to unnecessarily buy one. Covid and supply chain issues have really made this decision difficult. If this were pre-covid we'd probably just be at the dealership or looking at some lightly used cars to replace it with.
#1. It’s a Toyota! That’s great news. Excellent life span.
#2. I assume your insurance will go up on a new car? How much???
#3. Not exactly a good time to buy a new car.
#4. You like your current vehicle.
#5. Its only 3k. How long will that last monthly payment wise or full cash new vehicle purchase?

Easy…I’d keep it. If it dies it’s only 3k. The 3k on a new vehicle isn’t a dent overall.

Doing your own brake work is easy. A pot of coffee, some basic tools you’ll own forever, and a few minutes of quality Youyube.

Keep ole Betsy running….She completes You!!!
Topic Author
z91
Posts: 729
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:19 pm

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by z91 »

OP here.

We paid for the repairs and after talking to the mechanic (who was actually the owner) he lowered the price by $500, which helped us out a lot.

Car runs beautifully again and we have no regrets. I think this was the right thing to do for us at this time. If we get another repair bill this large I'll have to give it some more thought, depending on what the issue is.
Chip
Posts: 3848
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:57 am

Re: Cars - Repair vs Replace in this environment?

Post by Chip »

z91 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:00 pm OP here.

We paid for the repairs and after talking to the mechanic (who was actually the owner) he lowered the price by $500, which helped us out a lot.

Car runs beautifully again and we have no regrets. I think this was the right thing to do for us at this time. If we get another repair bill this large I'll have to give it some more thought, depending on what the issue is.
Excellent news. Thanks for closing the loop on this.
Post Reply