Experian Login Failure

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Horsefly

Experian Login Failure

Post by Horsefly »

I was applying for a new credit card this morning, but before I did I knew I needed to unfreeze (temporarily) the three credit bureaus. Transunion and Equifax worked fine, but my login failed on Experian. I save username / passwords both in BitWarden and Google Chrome, and I double checked that they were the same. I know I logged in earlier this year just fine, so I wasn't sure what it could be.

I decided the obvious next step was to do the "forgot password" on the site. It asked me for my email address (which hasn't changed in 20 years), but then it came back saying that there was no account with that email address. Ok, so at this point I'm starting to get a little worried. Did I somehow use something other than my email address but not save it in BitWarden?

The next step was to try the "forgot username". This takes you to a page where you have to enter your birthday and SSN. I did so, and Experian came back and said those don't match. What!!!! Obviously I know my birthday and SSN, so what does this mean?

I'm pretty scared now that someone has hacked my account on Experian, and somehow has my SSN linked to a different birthday, and is now out wrecking my credit standing.

I'll try and call Experian this week, but I've heard that is really frustrating and hard to get to a human. I have no idea what else to do.

Anyone else seen something like this?
runninginvestor

Re: Experian Login Failure

Post by runninginvestor »

Which site specifically? I know at times I've accidentally gone to the Experian Identity Works or similar site. OR, alternatively I tried using an Identity Works password to login to regular Experian and it failed.

Here is where I just logged in to re-freeze Experian credit files (unfroze last week for an application, was going to re-freeze tomorrow but thought I'd check since your post popped up).

Login worked for me through that Experian site:
https://www.experian.com/freeze/center.html
Topic Author
Horsefly

Post by Horsefly »

Yep, that's the site I went to, and for which my saved username and password are for. I don't think I've ever heard of Experian Identity Works, so I have no saved passwords for that site.
runninginvestor

Horsefly wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:18 am Yep, that's the site I went to, and for which my saved username and password are for. I don't think I've ever heard of Experian Identity Works, so I have no saved passwords for that site.
Shoot, hopefully it resolves w/ no issues. In the meantime, have you tried just:
1. Creating a new account? Maybe that'll shed light if it says another account exists or if you're able to make a new one then maybe they purged accounts at some point/updated their systems.
2. Check Transunion/Equifax to ensure there's nothing fishy.
meadowrue

Post by meadowrue »

This exact same thing happened to me last week so I think it must be a technical glitch on their end. I haven’t called them yet but would love to know what you find out.
Topic Author
Horsefly

Post by Horsefly »

runninginvestor wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:22 am
Horsefly wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:18 am Yep, that's the site I went to, and for which my saved username and password are for. I don't think I've ever heard of Experian Identity Works, so I have no saved passwords for that site.
Shoot, hopefully it resolves w/ no issues. In the meantime, have you tried just:
1. Creating a new account? Maybe that'll shed light if it says another account exists or if you're able to make a new one then maybe they purged accounts at some point/updated their systems.
2. Check Transunion/Equifax to ensure there's nothing fishy.
I guess I could try to create a new account, but since Experian doesn't think my birth date goes with my SSN, I think I won't get very far.

I did check the Transunion and Equifax data reported to Credit Karma (hard inquiries, number of accounts, etc.) and it seemed fine. Both were frozen until I did a temporary thaw this morning.
Topic Author
Horsefly

Post by Horsefly »

meadowrue wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:28 am This exact same thing happened to me last week so I think it must be a technical glitch on their end. I haven’t called them yet but would love to know what you find out.
I'm not sure that it makes me feel better that someone else had the same problem, but maybe it does a little. Misery loves company... :)

I'll post back here if I get some info from Experian.
yules

Post by yules »

Horsefly wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:53 am I was applying for a new credit card this morning, but before I did I knew I needed to unfreeze (temporarily) the three credit bureaus. Transunion and Equifax worked fine, but my login failed on Experian. I save username / passwords both in BitWarden and Google Chrome, and I double checked that they were the same. I know I logged in earlier this year just fine, so I wasn't sure what it could be.

I decided the obvious next step was to do the "forgot password" on the site. It asked me for my email address (which hasn't changed in 20 years), but then it came back saying that there was no account with that email address. Ok, so at this point I'm starting to get a little worried. Did I somehow use something other than my email address but not save it in BitWarden?

The next step was to try the "forgot username". This takes you to a page where you have to enter your birthday and SSN. I did so, and Experian came back and said those don't match. What!!!! Obviously I know my birthday and SSN, so what does this mean?

I'm pretty scared now that someone has hacked my account on Experian, and somehow has my SSN linked to a different birthday, and is now out wrecking my credit standing.

I'll try and call Experian this week, but I've heard that is really frustrating and hard to get to a human. I have no idea what else to do.

Not exactly the same issue, but For the past few years I have been unable to get my free annual credit report from Experian. I log in, they ask questions that I answer correctly, and then they say it can’t be processed online. This happens with one of the other credit bureaus also, I forget which. They’re pretty bad.

Yules
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

yules wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:32 pm
Not exactly the same issue, but For the past few years I have been unable to get my free annual credit report from Experian. I log in, they ask questions that I answer correctly, and then they say it can’t be processed online. This happens with one of the other credit bureaus also, I forget which. They’re pretty bad.

Yules
I have the same problem. With some research, I have concluded that the questions that credit companies ask are not from your credit report with that company, but from a third-party verifier. In my case, the third party verifier has my info data merged with another person with the same first and last name in my zipcode. Through contact with his creditors that hound me, I know that if his ex-wife's name appears as a choice for people that I lived with and I say no, I know that I am going to fail the verification.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

chemocean wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:44 pm
yules wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:32 pm

Yules
I have the same problem. With some research, I have concluded that the questions that credit companies ask are not from your credit report with that company, but from a third-party verifier. In my case, the third party verifier has my info data merged with another person with the same first and last name in my zipcode. Through contact with his creditors that hound me, I know that if his ex-wife's name appears as a choice for people that I lived with and I say no, I know that I am going to fail the verification.
I have a similar problem with Experian's validation, but not with the other bureaus. My Dad is very elderly and I am the Trustee of his Rev. Trust. Dad has his home and a vacation home, both titled to the Trust. I live in my own home in a different city that my Dad. I am Joint on my Dad's Banking and Credit Card accounts, as I 100% handle all of his finances. Seems that Experian can't figure out where I live and they've crossed details between me and him. For example, the validations questions always ask me about loan $ amount to the address of my Dad's home. Their original loan amount is never one of the answers offered. When I select 'none of the above', I get bounced. Mom and Dad bought their house 50 years ago and they had a loan. It was paid off years before my Dad made me the Trustee and I was never a party to that loan. Why they even ask about a loan that was paid off 25 years ago bewilders me.

TransUnion and Equifax have no problem validating me, so those are the ones I check. I refuse to send Experian my personal identification records. To date, I had no ramifications from their poor record keeping affecting to my credit or credit score.
Topic Author
Horsefly

Post by Horsefly »

Well, I called Experian today. I can't figure out how to get past the automated system, so I worked with it. It gave me two options: (1) Use the web page to try and reauthorized myself, or (2) Send via snail mail a letter with photocopies of several things. I already know that the web page says my birthdate doesn't match with my SSN, so that is a no-go. So I guess I'll do the snail mail. Ugh. :oops:
runninginvestor

Horsefly wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:46 pm Well, I called Experian today. I can't figure out how to get past the automated system, so I worked with it. It gave me two options: (1) Use the web page to try and reauthorized myself, or (2) Send via snail mail a letter with photocopies of several things. I already know that the web page says my birthdate doesn't match with my SSN, so that is a no-go. So I guess I'll do the snail mail. Ugh. :oops:
One other thing to try: Look at your other credit reports and see if they list any other reported birthdays. Maybe some system is combining you w/ someone else and you'll traces in the other files.
Topic Author
Horsefly

Post by Horsefly »

runninginvestor wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:50 pm
Horsefly wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:46 pm Well, I called Experian today. I can't figure out how to get past the automated system, so I worked with it. It gave me two options: (1) Use the web page to try and reauthorized myself, or (2) Send via snail mail a letter with photocopies of several things. I already know that the web page says my birthdate doesn't match with my SSN, so that is a no-go. So I guess I'll do the snail mail. Ugh. :oops:
One other thing to try: Look at your other credit reports and see if they list any other reported birthdays. Maybe some system is combining you w/ someone else and you'll traces in the other files.
Yep, did that. Both Transunion and Equifax seem to have everything right about me.
meadowrue

Post by meadowrue »

Thanks for the update. Sounds like I’ll have to go the snail mail route too!
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

I shut down access to my credit report with all 3 bureaus several if not 10 years ago. At the time, I believe the term credit freeze was not the same thing as a credit lock and I think the lock was a tighter locking of the credit report where a freeze was good for some timeframe like maybe 2 years. Now I can't remember which I did but I chose the one that was the most restrictive. Only once did I need to unlock it with one bureau about 2+ years ago and it went OK. Maybe now they are pretty much the same though there does seem to be a difference as Experian discusses each in that a lock is something you pay for. I didn't pay when I did it and I'm pretty sure there was no charge to do either back then.

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-expe ... edit-lock/
Topic Author
Horsefly

Post by Horsefly »

zaplunken wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:36 pm I shut down access to my credit report with all 3 bureaus several if not 10 years ago. At the time, I believe the term credit freeze was not the same thing as a credit lock and I think the lock was a tighter locking of the credit report where a freeze was good for some timeframe like maybe 2 years. Now I can't remember which I did but I chose the one that was the most restrictive. Only once did I need to unlock it with one bureau about 2+ years ago and it went OK. Maybe now they are pretty much the same though there does seem to be a difference as Experian discusses each in that a lock is something you pay for. I didn't pay when I did it and I'm pretty sure there was no charge to do either back then.

I believe that I have heard the Credit Bureaus created "lock" to counter the increasing number of people that are freezing their files, and that credit lock only prevents hard pulls for credit applications, while credit freeze also doesn't allow your data to be given out for marketing purposes. I may be wrong on that though. Either way, I'm pretty sure the freeze is more restrictive, and that's why the Bureaus don't like it.
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

Horsefly wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:42 pm
zaplunken wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:36 pm I shut down access to my credit report with all 3 bureaus several if not 10 years ago. At the time, I believe the term credit freeze was not the same thing as a credit lock and I think the lock was a tighter locking of the credit report where a freeze was good for some timeframe like maybe 2 years. Now I can't remember which I did but I chose the one that was the most restrictive. Only once did I need to unlock it with one bureau about 2+ years ago and it went OK. Maybe now they are pretty much the same though there does seem to be a difference as Experian discusses each in that a lock is something you pay for. I didn't pay when I did it and I'm pretty sure there was no charge to do either back then.

I believe that I have heard the Credit Bureaus created "lock" to counter the increasing number of people that are freezing their files, and that credit lock only prevents hard pulls for credit applications, while credit freeze also doesn't allow your data to be given out for marketing purposes. I may be wrong on that though. Either way, I'm pretty sure the freeze is more restrictive, and that's why the Bureaus don't like it.

Thanks.

Again I did this several to 10 years ago, maybe the terminology changed since then but again I forget which I did. I read either at a blog or the newspaper or maybe here, that one was more restrictive than the other. Over the years, despite getting notices from businesses that my personal information was access/exposed and using their free credit monitoring in addition to requesting a free credit report every 4 months so as to rotate through all 3 bureaus, I never have had any issues.
Topic Author
Horsefly

Post by Horsefly »

So here's an interesting - and relieving - update.

Although I can't access my account on Experian and can't lift the freeze on my file, I decided to try and get my credit report via AnnualCreditReport.com. I was pretty certain it wouldn't let me see it, since Experian seems to think my SSN and birthday don't go together. But, to my surprise, I got the report! Perhaps more importantly, the report has nothing out of line and it all looks good.

So this is clearly an IT SNAFU by Experian. I'm still mailing in the stuff to get access to my freeze.
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

Horsefly wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:52 am So here's an interesting - and relieving - update.

Although I can't access my account on Experian and can't lift the freeze on my file, I decided to try and get my credit report via AnnualCreditReport.com. I was pretty certain it wouldn't let me see it, since Experian seems to think my SSN and birthday don't go together. But, to my surprise, I got the report! Perhaps more importantly, the report has nothing out of line and it all looks good.

So this is clearly an IT SNAFU by Experian. I'm still mailing in the stuff to get access to my freeze.
At least your credit report doesn't show any problems, that's a relief. This whole story is very disturbing. These 3 agencies have all our important information and IMO are not careful with it whether it is breeches or screw ups like the OP's issue.
Topic Author
Horsefly

Post by Horsefly »

zaplunken wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:06 pm
Horsefly wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:52 am So here's an interesting - and relieving - update.

At least your credit report doesn't show any problems, that's a relief. This whole story is very disturbing. These 3 agencies have all our important information and IMO are not careful with it whether it is breeches or screw ups like the OP's issue.
I absolutely agree! In addition, they have a vice-grip on our private parts when it comes to us needing to buy a house, get insurance, or get a cell phone contract.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Had a similar thing happen a couple of weeks ago when buying a new car. My wife was never able to unfreeze her account, I was able to online so we just unfroze mine. Major pain in the butt, especially trying to talk with a live rep.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 11 years 😀
Gadget

Post by Gadget »

I don't know how recently, but Experian used to freeze/unfreeze with a pin you received in snail mail. That's how I used to do it.

Sometime semi recently though (past year or 2?), they created an online account. Since I didn't have it saved in 1password, I knew I had never made one. I was able to create a new account online at Experian where I can now freeze/unfreeze without the old pin.

Are you sure you had an Experian username/password from before and didn't do it with the name/pin form like I used to?
Topic Author
Horsefly

Post by Horsefly »

Gadget wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:52 pm I don't know how recently, but Experian used to freeze/unfreeze with a pin you received in snail mail. That's how I used to do it.

Sometime semi recently though (past year or 2?), they created an online account. Since I didn't have it saved in 1password, I knew I had never made one. I was able to create a new account online at Experian where I can now freeze/unfreeze without the old pin.

Are you sure you had an Experian username/password from before and didn't do it with the name/pin form like I used to?
Yeah, I remember when they used a PIN. All of them did that. Then after the Equifax debacle they all switched to a username/password account thing. I know my username and password worked in March of this year, as I unfroze temporarily to get a new Hyatt card. So this is a different problem, because I was already using the username and password (several times). Good suggestion though.
Brewman

Post by Brewman »

Horsefly wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:53 am I was applying for a new credit card this morning, but before I did I knew I needed to unfreeze (temporarily) the three credit bureaus. Transunion and Equifax worked fine, but my login failed on Experian. I save username / passwords both in BitWarden and Google Chrome, and I double checked that they were the same. I know I logged in earlier this year just fine, so I wasn't sure what it could be.

After reading this I decided to check to see if I could unfreeze all my accounts (I recently froze them about 6 months ago) I figured better to check now than when I actually need to do it. I had the same exact problem as OP! I was able to able to get into Trans union, Equifax, Innovis and chex all with no problem? Only Experian gave me the same problem as op, I ended up creating a new "service Account"and after verifying all my information was able to get the spot where I could unfreeze. Had to do the exact same thing for my wife also
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

Brewman wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:00 pm

After reading this I decided to check to see if I could unfreeze all my accounts (I recently froze them about 6 months ago) I figured better to check now than when I actually need to do it. I had the same exact problem as OP! I was able to able to get into Trans union, Equifax, Innovis and chex all with no problem? Only Experian gave me the same problem as op, I ended up creating a new "service Account"and after verifying all my information was able to get the spot where I could unfreeze. Had to do the exact same thing for my wife also
How did you verify all your information? Was it online or did they require you to mail or upload documents?
Brewman

Post by Brewman »

zaplunken wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:28 pm How did you verify all your information? Was it online or did they require you to mail or upload documents?
It was all online. Had to add my SS and birthday to create the account as well as a phone#, then before it finished creating it had a series of about 6 questions to verify my identity - all multiple choice questions.....which of these companies do you or did you work for, which of these is a license plate of a car titled in your name, loan payment amount etc. Once I got past that it showed my account was frozen and a toggle to un freeze it ....same for my wife with obviously different security questions
Topic Author
Horsefly

Post by Horsefly »

Brewman wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:00 pm ....
I ended up creating a new "service Account" and after verifying all my information was able to get the spot where I could unfreeze. Had to do the exact same thing for my wife also
Ok, so you win the prize. It would not have occurred to me to try and create a new account. It let me, so now I'm in! I haven't tried yet, but all indications are it will let me temporarily lift the freeze.

Sadly, the letter to Experian with all my proof of who I am just went out in the mail. Things being the way they are, I bet everything will be messed up again once Experian processes my letter.

For everyone else who is having the same trouble, it sounds like @Brewman has the solution. Just go in and create a new account like you never had one before.
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

Brewman wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:19 pm
zaplunken wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:28 pm How did you verify all your information? Was it online or did they require you to mail or upload documents?
It was all online. Had to add my SS and birthday to create the account as well as a phone#, then before it finished creating it had a series of about 6 questions to verify my identity - all multiple choice questions.....which of these companies do you or did you work for, which of these is a license plate of a car titled in your name, loan payment amount etc. Once I got past that it showed my account was frozen and a toggle to un freeze it ....same for my wife with obviously different security questions
Thanks, that's good to know. It is easier to answer questions vs mailing in photocopies or uploading documents.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Up until recently, I think months ago, to unfreeze credit at experian you would/could go on and fill out your personal information on an online form and initiate the freeze/unfreeze/lift. It was not a login, unlike the other 2 agencies. I think experian had some other consumer services that may require login but I don’t think that was where you do the freeze.

Within the last couple of months that seems to have gone away and I had to creat an ID and PW for experian and do the freeze from there. What is tricky is if you login using the login link at top right, you don’t get freeze and unfreeze options. Only “lock” and “unlock” options. I had to google experian freeze, then on that page use the login link in the middle if you already have the account, and then you can see the freeze unfreeze option, right below the lock option.

What is also annoying unlike other 2 agencies if you do a lift, it starts the next day. Otherwise if you want to do it now you have to click on the unfreeze toggle button and remember to log back in to freeze again. If I were cynical all of those annoying characteristics above are designed to make you less likely to use a freeze and if you have one to keep a freeze.
runninginvestor

JBTX wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:04 pm Up until recently, I think months ago, to unfreeze credit at experian you would/could go on and fill out your personal information on an online form and initiate the freeze/unfreeze/lift. It was not a login, unlike the other 2 agencies. I think experian had some other consumer services that may require login but I don’t think that was where you do the freeze.

Within the last couple of months that seems to have gone away and I had to creat an ID and PW for experian and do the freeze from there. What is tricky is if you login using the login link at top right, you don’t get freeze and unfreeze options. Only “lock” and “unlock” options. I had to google experian freeze, then on that page use the login link in the middle if you already have the account, and then you can see the freeze unfreeze option, right below the lock option.

What is also annoying unlike other 2 agencies if you do a lift, it starts the next day. Otherwise if you want to do it now you have to click on the unfreeze toggle button and remember to log back in to freeze again. If I were cynical all of those annoying characteristics above are designed to make you less likely to use a freeze and if you have one to keep a freeze.
If you click on the "lock/unlock" link when logged in, there's a link somewhere in there to freeze/unfreeze. Kind of shady imo that they took away the no login way to freeze/unfreeze to now hiding it in a paid for lock/unlock page.
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

Brewman wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:00 pm
Only Experian gave me the same problem as op, I ended up creating a new "service Account"and after verifying all my information was able to get the spot where I could unfreeze. Had to do the exact same thing for my wife also
Just went through this to unlock my Experian credit report that was frozen in 2018. Went through the process of registering online. Then, tried to unfreeze my credit report. Got a message " Oops, no can do. Call 866 617 1894"

Called the number, entered SSN, street address and PIN created by Experian in 2018 (send to email, but not from an Experian account?). I Asked to temporary unfreeze credit report and gave dates. My application then when through. Week later got confirmation by snail mail that the freeze was lifted (confirmation #, date of transaction, but not unfreeze dates).

Based on this post, I called the number above without logging into my new account. Same process as above and unfroze my credit report for a day. Will see if I get an snail mail confirmation with the confirmation number with today's date.

For me, it seems I only need to call the number above and provide the information including original PIN.