televisions?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gips

televisions?

Post by gips »

We recently moved into a new apt and have decided to purchase two new televisions, 65 inches and 32 inches. We don't watch an awful lot but are both movie buffs and do appreciate a great picture. But, I'm also a boglehead struggling on quality vs value. Using wirecutter's recommendations.

65 inch:
- lg c1/OLED- $1500
- Hisense U7G/4k LCD/LEC - $800
- tcl 5 - $430

32 inch:
TCL 32S334 Android TV - $160

Interestingly, each quality level is double the cost of the previous tier. The 65 inch tv will be mounted in our living room next to the fireplace, the 32 inch in the kitchen on a column. The previous owner had his architect design the rooms for this placement and they'll fit perfectly. I suppose a cheap looking tv won't look great in our living room next to the fireplace...

thinking I should look at these models at bestbuy, probably purchase at costco if possible. An intriguing option from a thread on slickdeals:
65" LG OLED65A1PUA OLED 4K - $1000, open box excellent, $800

Amazon Prime days are mid-july, not sure it makes sense to wait, I'd guess inflation is coming to TVs sooner rather than later...

Any and all recommendations welcome!

best,

-
Jack FFR1846

Re: televisions?

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

TCL has replaced Insignia as Best Buy's house brand. We have gone through probably 5 TVs over the last 15 years. Most have been LG or Samsung with the odd Insignia and a Roku TCL. Of all the TVs, they all have died except 2. A 40" or so Insignia and a ginormous (my son bought it, I don't know the size) TCL.

I know this is from a sample of one.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
gips

Post by gips »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:19 pm TCL has replaced Insignia as Best Buy's house brand. We have gone through probably 5 TVs over the last 15 years. Most have been LG or Samsung with the odd Insignia and a Roku TCL. Of all the TVs, they all have died except 2. A 40" or so Insignia and a ginormous (my son bought it, I don't know the size) TCL.

wow! we had a 55 inch samsung we gave away after 15 years and a 48 inch hisense which has lasted seven, the frame is starting to pull away from display but probably has to do with the way we moved the tv around. there's no way I'm going to pay up for quality if it's not going to last >5 years...thanks!

Post by 123 »

Just a note on TV placement. On most TVs the built-in speakers placement tend to favor being placed against a wall. If your kitchen TV is on a column is some distance from a wall you could be disappointed with the sound. When we placed a large-screen set in a open area we had to use bluetooth speakers to get decent sound directed toward our seating area.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"lg c1/OLED"

We bought a 65" the beginning of last November and love it. I thought at first we liked it because we were using my wife's old 40" Bravia lcd from the dark ages and anything would look better. We still love it and our friends with larger tvs by other makers love it.

It was well worth the $1700 or $1800 we paid at Costco. That was the going price then, but we got the extra 2 years of warranty and delivery.
I had planned on getting a sound bar, but we found - at our advanced age - that the down facing speakers reflect nicely off the wide curved stand. Pretty slick design. Fwiw, we watch from an eyeball distance of 7.5'.
Topic Author
gips

Post by gips »

123 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:41 pm Just a note on TV placement. On most TVs the built-in speakers placement tend to favor being placed against a wall. If your kitchen TV is on a column is some distance from a wall you could be disappointed with the sound. When we placed a large-screen set in a open area we had to use bluetooth speakers to get decent sound directed toward our seating area.
thanks, yes, the previous owners had a sound bar under the tv and now I understand why!
joechristmas

Post by joechristmas »

I recently replaced an 11 year old television. I went to Best Buy and just bought one that was $500. It seems very nice. I was actually shocked by what you can get for $500.
As you say you don't watch a lot and want something good, I'd stick to the lower price points on the size that you want.
For me, I can tell the difference between my budget model $500 TV and the 15 year old LCD that we still have. I cannot tell the difference between my budget model $500 TV and the "OLED" Cadillac models that they have on the market.
As a parting thought, I haven't heard too much of people reselling their TVs for more than they spent on them either. From what I can tell, most TVs end up getting tossed at those annual recycling events at work or put on by the neighborhood/city.
Last edited by joechristmas on Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
gips

Post by gips »

andypanda wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:50 pm "lg c1/OLED"

We bought a 65" the beginning of last November and love it. I thought at first we liked it because we were using my wife's old 40" Bravia lcd from the dark ages and anything would look better. We still love it and our friends with larger tvs by other makers love it.

It was well worth the $1700 or $1800 we paid at Costco. That was the going price then, but we got the extra 2 years of warranty and delivery.
I had planned on getting a sound bar, but we found - at our advanced age - that the down facing speakers reflect nicely off the wide curved stand. Pretty slick design. Fwiw, we watch from an eyeball distance of 7.5'.
thanks, I'm really interested to see the tv at bestbuy. seems like everyone loves it. I also note it can be used for gaming (though rn we don't play games), which must be awesome.
Topic Author
gips

Post by gips »

joechristmas wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:01 pm I recently replaced an 11 year old television. I went to Best Buy and just bought one that was $500. It seems very nice. I was actually shocked by what you can get for $500.
As you say you don't watch a lot and want something good, I'd stick to the lower price points on the size that you want.
For me, I can tell the difference between my budget model $500 TV and the 15 year old LCD that we still have. I cannot tell the difference between my budget model $500 TV and the "OLED" Cadillac models that they have on the market.
As a parting thought, I haven't heard too much of people reselling their TVs for more than they spent on them either. From what I can tell, most TVs end up getting tossed at those annual recycling events at work or put on by the neighborhood/city.
yes, I think the proof will be in the pudding when we see them side by side. we were shocked seven years ago with the amazing quality of the picture on the hisense vs our 8 year old (at that time) samsung.

reselling tv? are you suggesting I look on craigslist?
joechristmas

Post by joechristmas »

gips wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:03 pm reselling tv? are you suggesting I look on craigslist?
I was simply making the point that TVs are more often recycled than they are resold. Since they generally have no resale value, that's another reason you might want to spend less.
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

Go to RTINGS.com and you can find good information on the best TV's, depending on what you are looking for price-wise, size-wise, etc. Unless things have changed recently, OLED TVs are best in darker rooms, while TVs like the QLED's from Samsung provide a better picture in rooms with a lot of light. We have two LG QLED's (55" and 65") and could not be happier with the picture. Also, go to a store like Best Buy and check to make sure that the viewing angle(s) that you will need is supported by the TV's you consider.

One last issue: Make sure that any apps that you may want to access on your TV are supported by the TVs you consider. I can't remember off hand which apps were not supported by the LG, but there were a couple of them at the time.

RTINGS: https://www.rtings.com/tv
scorcher31

Post by scorcher31 »

I just got the hisence 65 u8g from Amazon for 850 a couple weeks ago and thinks its great so far. It had excellent rtings reviews. I'm still waiting to pick up ps5 to go with it. I can't spend twice the price on the oled. I also find oleds aren't bright enough rooms with a lot of sun/light.
Last edited by scorcher31 on Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

65-inch
LG OLED
Don't even consider anything else—unless, of course, it is a larger size. LG has announced a 97-inch one.

32-inch
whatever
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Im a stickler for consumer tech, and big into audio, visual (digital photography, calibrated displays, fine art printing, etc)…

…but paradoxically my opinion is that TVs nowadays dont matter much. After the big transitional wave from plasma to LCD, the bottom level of standard got really high. And the exact selection of TV doesnt matter because:

* people dont change the display settings anyway, much less calibrate with colorimeter device
* people view in imperfect environment / lighting / placement
* video source not up to snuff
etc

Things to focus on are software - if you rely on the builtin apps e.g. for streaming, the OS performance and experience very different on the market. If you connect many devices to TV as a hub (with HDMI ARC out for audio) then port selection is important.

Unless you compare 2 sets side by side, the perceptible visual differences arent immediate and long lasting
corn18

Post by corn18 »

An OLED set up correctly is dramatically better than any other TV technology on the market. Especially at 65"+ and 4k UHD. But I can tell you that if you tweak a few things the wrong way, that OLED will look worse than a cheap LED/LCD TV.

My den TV is OLED. My basement TV will be OLED whenever I find a good reason to upgrade the basement TV. All other TV's are whatever is on sale. RV, bedrooms, workout room all get less quality because I don't care.
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
twh

Post by twh »

LG OLED from Costco.
illumination

Post by illumination »

After owning OLED, I don't think I can ever go back to LCD. But some people just don't really care, no one else in my family really paid much attention to the switch. But I thought it was dramatic. I was always a fan of plasma tvs over LCD and this was the first TV I thought finally exceeded plasma.

I would suggest just finding one that's been discounted like "last years" model as I don't think having the latest and greatest is that important anymore as long as its OLED. Costco can be a great place to buy one.

I would suggest not buying an entry level TV, I've done it over the years for say a bedroom TV and have regretted it. I would at least go mid-tier or higher.
Chardo

Post by Chardo »

32? That's cute.

Can't go wrong with Samsung.
cashmoney

Post by cashmoney »

gips wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:14 pm We recently moved into a new apt and have decided to purchase two new televisions, 65 inches and 32 inches. We don't watch an awful lot but are both movie buffs and do appreciate a great picture. But, I'm also a boglehead struggling on quality vs value. Using wirecutter's recommendations.

65 inch:
- lg c1/OLED- $1500
- Hisense U7G/4k LCD/LEC - $800
- tcl 5 - $430

32 inch:
TCL 32S334 Android TV - $160

Interestingly, each quality level is double the cost of the previous tier. The 65 inch tv will be mounted in our living room next to the fireplace, the 32 inch in the kitchen on a column. The previous owner had his architect design the rooms for this placement and they'll fit perfectly. I suppose a cheap looking tv won't look great in our living room next to the fireplace...

thinking I should look at these models at bestbuy, probably purchase at costco if possible. An intriguing option from a thread on slickdeals:
65" LG OLED65A1PUA OLED 4K - $1000, open box excellent, $800

Amazon Prime days are mid-july, not sure it makes sense to wait, I'd guess inflation is coming to TVs sooner rather than later...

Any and all recommendations welcome!

best,

For 65 go with OLED I prefer Sony for better upscaling of SD content due to better processor over LG.For 32 I would consider a Roku Tv to cut down on clutter.If you rent a cable box many cable companies such as Xfinity have apps you can download to eliminate need for cable box.I have an older TCL Roku TV and was surprised that built in menu system to browse Xfinity channels works well.

-
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

Our first flat screen was a 32 inch, that was a long time ago.

After a while the mrs said she wanted a bigger TV so I moved her chair closer.

We did update to a 42 inch Vizio which is now in the bedroom as we got a 55 inch Samsung to replace it.
The Samsung has good picture quality imo. I’ve been tempted by the 65 inch models as they are so inexpensive but I think it might be too big for our living room.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

MGBMartin wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:29 pm I’ve been tempted by the 65 inch models as they are so inexpensive but I think it might be too big for our living room.
There's no such thing as too big. I thought the 77" OLED LG might be too big for our living room - but I was wrong. It's a great immersive experience. I may never go out to the movies again.

P.S. buy a good sound bar and sub woofer to complete the experience.
Kristopher

Post by Kristopher »

Just my personal preference but I will put more money and more shopping time into the audio than the TV. It is not too hard to outperform speakers that are built into a TV, so imagine what $1000 will get for a nice stereo. The TVs get obsolete faster than the audio equipment too.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

I bought the LG C1 65” in April 2022

My old hdmi cables didn’t play well with the tv when I connected to the cable box through my receiver.

Luckily the installer had an extra hdmi cable. This one had built in Ethernet which was new to me.

It seems to open up new capabilities with my receiver using the ARC ports.
Mid-40’s
bmr12

Post by bmr12 »

Stood in the Costco,looking at TVs for my kid’s graduation present. The TCL and ahi sense looked mediocre. The OLED by LG was absolutely stunning. I keep peeking at the prices of the larger ones—well worth the upcharge.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Be sure to budget and plan how to install at least a basic sound system with the TV's. I am very far from an audiophile but the tiny built in speakers that come with TV's are next to worthless and not good for much other than being able to test to see if the TV sound is working.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Get an OLED at Costco. The best time to do this is within a week or two of Black Friday. You'll pay more now, but given inflation, I wouldn't be surprised to see future deals when inventory doesn't sell as fast. I saw far less inventory in general and a lot of missing items on my Costco trip this past weekend.
Chuckles960

Post by Chuckles960 »

TVs are not just for watching cable TV. The OP might want to use streaming services and/or browse the web. If so, it is important to check how well the 'smart' features are implemented, for example does the web browser have HTML5 video?
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

MGBMartin wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:29 pm After a while the mrs said she wanted a bigger TV so I moved her chair closer.
Thank you for my morning laugh. 😁
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

We bought an LG 65 CX two years ago. Even my wife who doesnt really care about picture quality says its the best thing she has ever watched. Like having a movie theater at home.

Note that to appreciate it, you need to have a big space and a fairly dark room. OLEDs are kind of dark in bright sunny rooms.
hand

Post by hand »

OLED is a premium purchase, but despite it's high price, it is also very high quality and value, especially for movies.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"There's no such thing as too big. I thought the 77" OLED LG might be too big for our living room - but I was wrong."

Me too, but my wife said the LG C1 had to fit between the two floor to ceiling windows in the den without rearranging the furniture or overlapping the curtains. Fwiw, the windows face NW and there are French doors behind the sofa. And that's how we got a 65" tv. But the sofa was 7' from the old 40" Sony and it's still there, so that worked out. (She kept saying a 55" will be huge, but after two weeks of watching the old Bravia with a black line down the center of the screen she said, "Get something.")

Thinking back to the Sony OLED vs LG OLED research last year, the review sites did recommend Sony for their processors if you watched a lot of old movies. Trouble was I didn't see $800 or $900 worth of picture improvement and that's what the review sites were comparing to the LG C1.
hand

Post by hand »

andypanda wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:09 am Thinking back to the Sony OLED vs LG OLED research last year, the review sites did recommend Sony for their processors if you watched a lot of old movies. Trouble was I didn't see $800 or $900 worth of picture improvement and that's what the review sites were comparing to the LG C1.
I bought Sony - review sites identified a big price differential, but when I shopped, prices were basically the same for Sony vs. LG.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

If you’re coming from older TVs (I recently upgraded my 2007 Panasonic Plasma), practically anything will look better. There are two things I would consider:

1) if you are unlikely to upgrade your TV for 10+ years, get the more expensive one
2) if you are likely to upgrade your TV frequently, get the cheaper one since the high end features will eventually trickle down to the cheaper models
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:19 pm TCL has replaced Insignia as Best Buy's house brand. We have gone through probably 5 TVs over the last 15 years. Most have been LG or Samsung with the odd Insignia and a Roku TCL. Of all the TVs, they all have died except 2. A 40" or so Insignia and a ginormous (my son bought it, I don't know the size) TCL.

We have a 6.5yr old TCL 55", zero issues and could not be more satisfied - no reason to upgrade until it dies. My parents and my brothers keep upgrading (they've both had 3 TVs in the same time period and now both have massive OLEDs); quite honestly, we can barely tell the difference. We can recognize a minute difference, but it doesn't really change the experience for us and therefore just not worth it to pay 2.5x-3x the price to go from the TCL to similar sized OLED.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Just a reminder that a sound bar is a must have for the or tv, so count that into the price, you can get cheap ones, but some recommend 25% of the cost of the tv go into the sound.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

mhalley wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:56 am Just a reminder that a sound bar is a must have for the or tv, so count that into the price, you can get cheap ones, but some recommend 25% of the cost of the tv go into the sound.
Better yet, if you're a movie buff, consider investing in a full surround sound setup with multi-channel receiver and left/right/center/surround speakers, plus a subwoofer (or two). You'll appreciate the full immersive sound experience. If that's not feasible, at least get a Dolby Atmos soundbar + subwoofer.
Retired 2018 | currently ~56/41/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

gips wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:14 pm
Just received an email from Amazon about Prime Days, with a link to "shop early Prime Day deals". Some very nice markdowns on Smart TVs.
Topic Author
gips

Post by gips »

thanks for all the thoughtful replies!

I stopped by bestbuy today, they didn't have many of the televisions I wanted to see but I was able to see the 65 inch LG C1 vs a number of lcd/led tvs and there was a noticeably difference. otoh, I didn't get to see it vs the exact models of interest, on thursday heading to the suburbs where hopefully there will be more stock.

to answer some of the questions posed, I'm 65 and tend to keep tvs until they break, so perhaps this will be my last or next to last television. if the tv lasts ten years, not too concerned with a $75 to $100/year price difference for better quality. otoh, if it last five years, I won't be too happy with the spend.

we are having a contractor over this week to finish painting and install the tv, so waiting for prime for day is not possible. hmmm, otoh, maybe I can just have him install the mount and wait a bit...not sure my wife would love that idea. So if he installs the mount and we have him mount an old, smaller tv, which I can get from a friend, will the mount have to be moved for a bigger tv? I'd think not, as long as it was centered properly...does seem a little risky.

best,
jcchen

Post by jcchen »

A few months ago, I bought an OLED to replace an old plasma. Like you, I watch movies and care about value. OLED have the best contrast ratio and picture quality which imho is great for movies.

I choose a Sony OLED A80J over the LG A1/C1 because its color accuracy is better out of box and its over-the-air tuner supports 4k. I paid $1300 for a 65 inch refurb.

Sony A80J is comparable to LG C1. Both are regularly about $1600 new for 65 inch and on sale go as low as $1300. Compared to LG C1, LG A1 is the step down model with slightly worse processor and slower update rate. Update rate is important for gaming but not for movie watching. LG introduced newer models C2 and A2 so the A1 and C1 are discounted. See rtings.com for detailed reviews.

If I were to buy a TV today, I would go for the LG A1 since it is currently on sale. It is only $1000 on costco.com, which is a good deal. $800 open box is very tempting. Costco sells LG C1 for $1450, but dont think it is worth $450 over A1.
jcchen

Post by jcchen »

If you just want the best and dont mind paying.....

Samsung just introduced a QD OLED which is supposed to combine the brightness of LED TVs with contrasts of OLED. This new technological innovation is expensive though. About $2800 for 65 inch.
https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions- ... s95bafxza/

Samsung sells the panels to Sony. See Sony A95k which is also $2800
Topic Author
gips

Post by gips »

jcchen wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:19 pm If you just want the best and dont mind paying.....

Samsung just introduced a QD OLED which is supposed to combine the brightness of LED TVs with contrasts of OLED. This new technological innovation is expensive though. About $2800 for 65 inch.
https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions- ... s95bafxza/

Samsung sells the panels to Sony. See Sony A95k which is also $2800
i’m a boglehead, i want the best and mind paying :happy
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

gips wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:19 pm So if he installs the mount and we have him mount an old, smaller tv, which I can get from a friend, will the mount have to be moved for a bigger tv? I'd think not, as long as it was centered properly...does seem a little risky.
The mount won't have to be moved. The only question is if the VESA dimensions are the same on the old smaller TV as the new one - or the mount provides for multiple VESA dimensions including both you have. If so, you can simply switch it.
hand

Post by hand »

mary1492 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:00 am
gips wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:19 pm So if he installs the mount and we have him mount an old, smaller tv, which I can get from a friend, will the mount have to be moved for a bigger tv? I'd think not, as long as it was centered properly...does seem a little risky.
The mount won't have to be moved. The only question is if the VESA dimensions are the same on the old smaller TV as the new one - or the mount provides for multiple VESA dimensions including both you have. If so, you can simply switch it.
Not my experience moving from a smaller to a larger TV - mount point vs. centerpoint of the TVs were different and height of the new TV conflicted with the ceiling. I wouldn't just assume this will work.
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

hand wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:25 am
mary1492 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:00 am
Not my experience moving from a smaller to a larger TV - mount point vs. centerpoint of the TVs were different and height of the new TV conflicted with the ceiling. I wouldn't just assume this will work.
True to a certain extent. Assuming OP knows roughly what size the new TV will be, the mount can be put up for those dimensions and not the older/smaller TV.
Afty

Post by Afty »

There are great deals right now on last year’s LG OLED models. The $1k 65” A1 posted above is a steal IMO.
money2churn

Post by money2churn »

"I suppose a cheap looking tv won't look great in our living room next to the fireplace..."

I found a great place for mine, in front of the fireplace (sealed up the ineffecient,polluting thing). Looks great and is a vastly better use of the space. If I want the "ambience" of a fireplace, I put on a firelog video off youtube.
Topic Author
gips

Post by gips »

looks like july 4th deals are starting to appear, mulling over Sony Bravia XR65X90CJ with a 5 year warranty for $900...