Windfall of $5M, 28 years old, resigned last month to retire early. Need advice on portfolio allocation please!

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Tamalak

Re: Windfall of $5M, 28 years old, resigned last month to retire early. Need advice on portfolio allocation please!

Post by Tamalak »

mikejuss wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:29 am
Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:27 am
WhiteMaxima wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:02 am Depend on the inflation. of inflation is at 7%, you purchase power will be half in 7 years. 5 mil won't go too far if you invest can't beat that inflation. For 28 years old, you would still need to work, your work skill and experience will help you land a job if you need to. Healthcare and longer term care are very expensive and inflate at more than CPI. If I were you, even if I won a 1 billion lottery, I will still choose to work.
They don't need to work. Let's get this out of the way.

They can choose to work if they want. Some people work because they don't have anything else to do, and nothing wrong with that.
Sincere question: what are the chances of portfolio survival if the OP spends, say, $200,000 a year for 50 years?
As I recall playing with "rich, broke or dead", a 4% withdrawal rate has a 5 out of 6 chance of working indefinitely (after 50+ years, you're usually either broke or the portfolio value has risen so far past the withdrawal rate that it's practically impossible any future downturn will threaten it)
Last edited by Tamalak on Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikejuss

Re: Windfall of $5M, 28 years old, resigned last month to retire early. Need advice on portfolio allocation please!

Post by mikejuss »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:32 am
mikejuss wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:29 am Sincere question: what are the chances of portfolio survival if the OP spends, say, $200,000 a year for 50 years?
I think that depends on their AA. 0/100 probably won't last, 80/20 probably lasts fine.

That said, I'm not advocating 200K/year on 5M. I am advocating 100K~150K; a different ballgame.
Agreed--it all depends on what the OP wants and needs to spend each year.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

mikejuss wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:36 am Agreed--it all depends on what the OP wants and needs to spend each year.
Yes, but we can't base our conversations on the OP making reckless decisions because no amount is enough in that case.

Capping themselves at 100K~150K/year is not a demanding situation.
US & FM (5% seed) | 300K Cash
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:40 am
mikejuss wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:36 am Agreed--it all depends on what the OP wants and needs to spend each year.
Yes, but we can't base our conversations on the OP making reckless decisions because no amount is enough in that case.

I'm suggesting to you that $200,000 a year in a metropolitan area with kids and a partner is pretty easy to spend. And I don't relish this fact.
Tellurius

Post by Tellurius »

mikejuss wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:44 am

I'm suggesting to you that $200,000 a year in a metropolitan area with kids and a partner is pretty easy to spend. And I hardly relish this fact.
He’s not living in the USA. He can probably have an amazing lifestyle with kids and partners for €80.000 in many European major cities.
La nuit semblait profonde. L'hiver interminable.
HootingSloth

Post by HootingSloth »

I'm suggesting to you that $200,000 a year in a metropolitan area with kids and a partner is pretty easy to spend. And I don't relish this fact.
I live in one of the top 5 highest cost of living cities in America with a wife and a child. We make basically zero attempt to budget or restrict our spending (household income is in top 1%). We have never come anywhere even close to spending $200k in a year. Last year, we spent $84k. OP will be fine.
Global Market Portfolio + modest tilt towards volatility (80/20->60/40 as approach FI) + modest tilt away from exchange rate risk (80% global+20% U.S. stocks; currency-hedge bonds) + tax optimization
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

mikejuss wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:44 am I'm suggesting to you that $200,000 a year in a metropolitan area with kids and a partner is pretty easy to spend. And I don't relish this fact.
How is that relevant to the OP? They are asking if they can retire early on 5M, not if they can spend $200,000 a year in a metropolitan area with kids and a partner.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

HootingSloth wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:48 am

I live in one of the top 5 highest cost of living cities in America with a wife and a child. We make basically zero attempt to budget or restrict our spending (household income is in top 1%). We have never come anywhere even close to spending $200k in a year. Last year, we spent $84k. OP will be fine.
It sounds like you own your property outright. Congrats.
HootingSloth

Post by HootingSloth »

mikejuss wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:53 am

I do not.
Global Market Portfolio + modest tilt towards volatility (80/20->60/40 as approach FI) + modest tilt away from exchange rate risk (80% global+20% U.S. stocks; currency-hedge bonds) + tax optimization
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

HootingSloth wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:54 am
mikejuss wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:53 am

I do not.
I live in one of the top 5 highest cost of living cities in America with a wife and child and it would take extreme budgeting to only spend $84k per year.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

KyleAAA wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:56 am I live in one of the top 5 highest cost of living cities in America with a wife and child and it would take extreme budgeting to only spend $84k per year.
:beer
GP813

Post by GP813 »

Exactly. If you live in a good city in Europe, you don't even need a car, healthcare is extremely affordable, if you have kids in the future or change your career/life goals, you will have access to affordable higher education. I think a few people are being hysterical. The $5 million and home paid off figure already takes into account major expenses, people spend money working(transportation, food, clothes and laundry, skill building) and most people's major expense is housing. To have a home paid off and a $5 million portfolio to draw from, unless you spend money frivolously that math favors you tremendously.
Last edited by GP813 on Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

mikejuss wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:24 am
Keenobserver wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:19 am I am baffled by how some people argue that someone with $5 Million cash and a paid off house living in a lower COL is not set for life because of the infinite number of things that can happen.
If the OP never works another day in his life, then $5 million may not be sufficient to his needs, depending on the cost of housing, education, and health care, should he choose to have a family. That's why many are suggesting he should generate some income over the next 50 years. No one's saying $5 million isn't a lot of money.
House is paid off. OP lived in Europe so.no chance of bankruptcy due to medical bills. Same for college. Of course OP can choose to work or not. But saying that he cant retire at this point is beyonf me.
HootingSloth

Post by HootingSloth »

To the OP: if you want to ensure that you can live in some $x.yM mega mansion, even in the event that there is a bottom decile sequence of returns, then you probably will have to continue working. If not, enjoy the project you are working on now and whatever else you find in the years to come. You have a good plan from a financial perspective, and the most important part will be figuring out what else you want to do with the time you have.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Would you hire someone who have not worked for last 10 years and working skill out dated? Even in EU, there is still a work point based SS. OP won't have SS. Of course 5 mil is enough in today's standard. But who knows the future? After the Soviet Union, rubble lost it's value 1000x time and image a person never worked in his/her whole life and try to make a living. We live in a changing world. I see multi million a number, not purchase power. Do you know German mark in 1930s face value and purchase power and 1929 stock market collapse. The most value people could even own is skills not paper value.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

WhiteMaxima wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:16 pm Would you hire someone who have not worked for last 10 years and working skill out dated? Even in EU, there is still a work point based SS. OP won't have SS. Of course 5 mil is enough in today's standard. But who knows the future? After the Soviet Union, rubble lost it's value 1000x time and image a person never worked in his/her whole life and try to make a living. We live in a changing world. I see multi million a number, not purchase power. Do you know German mark in 1930s face value and purchase power and 1929 stock market collapse. The most value people could even own is skills not paper value.
Here we go with the dooms day scenarios and hyperboles. That $5 Million is going to be invested not just tucked under the mattress, and if modern civilization crashes and world goes into WW III then thats that. Nothing you can do about it. ano gurantee you even be alive to worry about it. So OP must continue to labor and toil out of a fear that he may one day be unhirable? So basically his situation is not different from someone who is living in abject poverty and must continue to work to survive? Whats the point of ever saving and investing money if you are going to be worried about civilization one day collasping and forever living like someone on the brink of starvation? Why bother? Also you refer to SS as if its a guranteed thing. No one knows where thats headed either. What about the rest of the majority of the world that has no SS? If OP loses everything and needs to work, Im sure he will find some way to make a living. you know like the other billions of people? He can a driver or a security guard or whatever the other billions have to do make a living. Or perhaps, maybe the OP finds his calling in these years and finds a passion that also happens to be lucrative? There are no gurantees of anything..No gurantee that if OP works until he is 70 he wont somehow go broke. So should he work until what 95? Whats the gurantee he wont go broke after that?
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

The most valuable asset people would have is working skill and experience. Out of work at 28 will lose the opportunity to accumulate of such asset.
audioengr

Post by audioengr »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:01 am Why do you think you will only live to age 78?

Check out the bogleheads wiki section on managing a windfall and Suze Orman’s list of what ifs on the podcast “Why I hate the FIRE movement,” which is specifically addressing young people with plans to retire early. You don’t have to like Orman or agree with her estimates of how much you need, but everyone can benefit from hearing her list of what ifs and planning for them.
Suze Orman's list on the "what ifs" is from "Why I Hate the FIRE Movement" on Paula Pant's Afford Anything Podcast.
Best case scenario, Suze was trying to earn media exposure. Worst case, she's so out of touch with reality, as to not earn a mention.

Suze's advice (such as it is) is to plan on needing $50 Million or more if you want to retire early. As long as the OP can avoid lifestyle creep and is properly insured, he should be fine based on the numbers he is giving us.

Insurance/Risk Mitigation is the thing Suze skipped. Insurance is a transfer of risk, all of the risk cases she espouses can be mitigated by insurance.

I agree with reviewing the Boglehead's Wiki Section on Managing a Windfall. And reading postings all throughout the Boglehead's site to find interesting/useful knowledge. Since you mentioned FIRE, the OPs situation closely matches that of few members of that community. OP might be well off to read some of their postings. Clearly, he has read some as he references Big ERN - Early Retirement Now.

But, I would advise skipping Suze.
audioengr

Post by audioengr »

WhiteMaxima wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:10 pm The most valuable asset people would have is working skill and experience. Out of work at 28 will lose the opportunity to accumulate of such asset.
You don't/can't know that. OP specifically mentioned looking at starting a side business. OP could easily maintain or surpass their current skill level based on that work. Speculating about what could/could not occur is not particularly useful. You/nor I know enough about their life (beyond what they have revealed) to make even educated guesses on their future.

The only thing we do know for certain is, OP has a significant sum of money to invest, a plan for making it last, and questions about strategy.
Oh, and it looks like OP will have a lot of control over their own time going forward.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

WhiteMaxima wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:10 pm The most valuable asset people would have is working skill and experience. Out of work at 28 will lose the opportunity to accumulate of such asset.
How do you know that if/ when world crashes, the type of skill OP would have will.be considered valauable? From what I understand, when world goes into chaos, its the basic blue collar skills/ physical labor that are most valuable, not tech or other such skills. No one will be looking for a marketing expert when people are slaughtering each other for food. So that argument doesnt really hold up. If world doesnt collapse, OP will.be fine. If it does. having some technical job skills are not going to save em from the blood in the streets. Besides no one is telling OP to NEVER work again in his life and stay away from acquiring any new knowlwdge or skills. We are saying that IF the OP so desires, he CAN retire financially speaking. Personally, I would need to work as I cant not have a target. I would probabaly just become much more selective.
audioengr

Post by audioengr »

Tamalak wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:16 am The perspective of this board is astonishing. Part of me simply cannot believe there is a debate as to whether someone with 5 million dollars is financially independent. I really need to keep this facet of bogleheads culture in mind when I consider its wisdom in other areas.
Amen..
A toast to you: :beer
GP813

Post by GP813 »

There's just as much chance that in the next 50 years, today's current work skills will be worthless as computers and AI automate more tasks that people currently perform. There is just as much chance of that happening than some doomsday scenario where OP is going to be skill-less and unemployable.
Last edited by GP813 on Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LFKB

Post by LFKB »

8foot7 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:51 am
mikejuss wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:50 am
8foot7 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:49 am
mikejuss wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:41 am I know that this might sounds nuts you--I agree that $5 million is a lot of money--but you may not have enough money to live on for another 50 years, especially if you decide to buy a house, have a family, etc. Have you considered your expenses should things like that arise? I bet you'd be fine if you made a least a little income, but straight-up retiring right now may not be smart. Which comes to my second question: what are you going to occupy your time with for, say, the next 5 years?

Life has a way of throwing us curve balls. Having a little bit of income and something or someone for which you're responsible on a daily basis will be good for you in the long run.
That's crazy. $5,000,000 at 3% inflation adjusted in a 60/40 with .2 in fees a year until the year 2080 has a 100% success rate.
There's zero chance this guy and any family he has can't figure out how to live on $150,000 a year adjusted for inflation.
Really? Many people spend more than $150,000 a year.
It's not against the law to spend less than $150k. If he inflates his lifestyle to 300k and then tries to cut it by 50%, sure, he's in for trouble. But living on 3% of his kitty which already puts him in the top 5% if not higher of portfolio sizes in the world, he'll practically never run out of money.
I think the issue (for me) is not the 3%. It’s that the OP assumes that he can live off the 3% going from single to having a family. That is the concern.

If I were OP I would probably be something like 70-80% stocks and 20-30% bonds. I’d also get a big chunk of that money in the market now given the recent pullback. It’s of course possible we go down more but I don’t think 10 years from now you’ll look at this as a bad entry point.
LaNada

Post by LaNada »

Tamalak wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:16 am The perspective of this board is astonishing. Part of me simply cannot believe there is a debate as to whether someone with 5 million dollars is financially independent. I really need to keep this facet of bogleheads culture in mind when I consider its wisdom in other areas.
I have learned so much in the past couple years from the wisdom of this community. But I've come to realize there are also massive amounts of irrational worry and anxiety here too. So you have to sift through that.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

LaNada wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:48 pm
I have learned so much in the past couple years from the wisdom of this community. But I've come to realize there are also massive amounts of irrational worry and anxiety here too. So you have to sift through that.
It’s largely a question of what you want to guard against and your ability to do so within your means.

We are resilient at home (wells, septic, solar, batteries, generator, geothermal, dual ISPs, etc). It was expensive, but probably less than a Bentley (and surely less than 2 Bentleys). Do I think that a multi-month power outage is likely? Not really, but I prefer being ready for it than having a ridiculous ICE vehicle.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

That's "the most valuable" assuming they need to earn a living. They are in a situation where they don't have to do so and can opt to travel around the world instead.
Tamalak

Post by Tamalak »

As someone with considerable working skill and experience, I assure you 5 million dollars would be a more valuable asset.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Tamalak wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:52 pm
As someone with considerable working skill and experience, I assure you 5 million dollars would be a more valuable asset.
Precisely. Many skilled, experienced people toil for four decades or more and never manage to accumulate anything close to five million dollars.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

8foot7 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:11 pm
Tamalak wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:52 pm
Precisely. Many skilled, experienced people toil for four decades or more and never manage to accumulate anything close to five million dollars.
Anyone want to trade my skills for $5 million..Im perfectly willing.
59Gibson

Post by 59Gibson »

Ha. You mean like the belt, suspenders, elastic drawstring, hiker, and a chip clip just in case type.
LaNada

Post by LaNada »

59Gibson wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:25 pm
Ha. You mean like the belt, suspenders, elastic drawstring, hiker, and a chip clip just in case type.
Haha, exactly ;)