~2050 mile road trip, St L to San Fran? (via Salt Lake and Reno/Tahoe, maybe)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
CardinalRule
Posts: 857
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 am
Location: United States

Re: ~2050 mile road trip, St L to San Fran? (via Salt Lake and Reno/Tahoe, maybe)

Post by CardinalRule »

I love road trips. But they sure have gotten less attractive at $6.00 a gallon. :(
MarkRoulo
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:25 am

Re: ~2050 mile road trip, St L to San Fran? (via Salt Lake and Reno/Tahoe, maybe)

Post by MarkRoulo »

CardinalRule wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:23 pm I love road trips. But they sure have gotten less attractive at $6.00 a gallon. :(
Our hero is driving a Honda Civic hatchback, so probably close to 40 MPG with lots of highway driving.

2,000 miles @ 40 MPG is 50 gallons, so $300 at $6/gallon and $200 at $4/gallon.

$100 isn't "nothing" but the hotels/motels as well as restaurant food and the single flight home ticket will dominate the finances for this trip.

'Twould be better if $100 cheaper, but not much as a percentage ...
minerlax4
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:07 am

Re: ~2050 mile road trip, St L to San Fran? (via Salt Lake and Reno/Tahoe, maybe)

Post by minerlax4 »

My wife and I are originally from St. Louis. We've been to Tahoe 3 times, all in July. We've traveled a lot and still say Lake Tahoe is the most beautiful place we've ever been. If you go there, be sure to go to fire lookout. Also book a morning north lake tahoe kayak or paddleboard tour. It's the most incredible water I've ever seen. Also, I really don't enjoy driving at all, but when we drive from San Fran or Sacramento to Lake Tahoe, I really enjoyed the drive when we took the North route on I-80 through Truckee. The California State Railroad Museum was interesting too.
Topic Author
psteinx
Posts: 4595
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:24 pm

Re: ~2050 mile road trip, St L to San Fran? (via Salt Lake and Reno/Tahoe, maybe)

Post by psteinx »

Yes, in a Civic Hatchback. Mileage should be good.

FWIW, I did a different road trip with younger daughter (seeing different colleges) over spring break, of similar length, and even though I did ~90% of the driving, it didn't really bother me (except pre-dawn driving on back roads). So, the length of this trip doesn't intimidate me much, and I think older daughter will do close to half of the driving. I'm a little more worried about how much hiking my D will subject me to. :)
User avatar
CardinalRule
Posts: 857
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 am
Location: United States

Re: ~2050 mile road trip, St L to San Fran? (via Salt Lake and Reno/Tahoe, maybe)

Post by CardinalRule »

MarkRoulo wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:48 pm
CardinalRule wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:23 pm I love road trips. But they sure have gotten less attractive at $6.00 a gallon. :(
Our hero is driving a Honda Civic hatchback, so probably close to 40 MPG with lots of highway driving.

2,000 miles @ 40 MPG is 50 gallons, so $300 at $6/gallon and $200 at $4/gallon.

$100 isn't "nothing" but the hotels/motels as well as restaurant food and the single flight home ticket will dominate the finances for this trip.

'Twould be better if $100 cheaper, but not much as a percentage ...
Makes sense. :thumbsup
tenkuky
Posts: 2074
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: Road trip, St L to Bay Area

Post by tenkuky »

MarkRoulo wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:26 pm
psteinx wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:17 pm Updated route/plan.

Still planning to drive, with daughter, but in July, not August. New plan is a bit more southerly, to pick up Bryce and Zion in Southern Utah (that D really wants to see/hike, and Vegas, because it's on the way, and I like it, and D has not seen it. D is over 21).

Plan:

Day 1 : Stl->Denver area (longest driving day of the trip)
Day 2: Denver area -> Bryce
Day 3: Some Bryce hiking in the AM, then drive->Zion
Day 4: Zion hiking
Day 5: Maybe a bit more AM Zion hiking, then drive->Las Vegas
Day 6: Vegas hangout
Day 7: Drive to Bay Area on the interior route through California. We'll probably terminate in South Bay Area somewhere, rather than San Francisco proper.

Basically, all interstate. Very long drive on day 1, long-ish drive on day 7, but most of the other driving days are shorter. Need to nail down the exact plan - probably book the hotels at Bryce, Zion, Vegas ahead of time...
Las Vegas is only about 45 minutes drive from Hoover Dam. Don’t skip seeing it by accident.
+1
Vegas is trash IMHO.
Do Hoover and Lake Mead instead.
InMyDreams
Posts: 1286
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:35 am

Re: Road trip, St L to Bay Area

Post by InMyDreams »

psteinx wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:17 pm Updated route/plan.

Still planning to drive, with daughter, but in July, not August. New plan is a bit more southerly, to pick up Bryce and Zion in Southern Utah (that D really wants to see/hike, and Vegas, because it's on the way, and I like it, and D has not seen it. D is over 21).

Plan:

Day 1 : Stl->Denver area (longest driving day of the trip)
Day 2: Denver area -> Bryce
Day 3: Some Bryce hiking in the AM, then drive->Zion
Day 4: Zion hiking
Day 5: Maybe a bit more AM Zion hiking, then drive->Las Vegas
Day 6: Vegas hangout
Day 7: Drive to Bay Area on the interior route through California. We'll probably terminate in South Bay Area somewhere, rather than San Francisco proper.

Basically, all interstate. Very long drive on day 1, long-ish drive on day 7, but most of the other driving days are shorter. Need to nail down the exact plan - probably book the hotels at Bryce, Zion, Vegas ahead of time...
OMG - HOT! Bryce will be much cooler - it's 8000-10000 feet high. Also, investigate closely the access to all NPs - I think Zion may have gone to a reservation system, and it's definitely using a bus access system.

Hope your Honda has a good A/C system.
Topic Author
psteinx
Posts: 4595
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:24 pm

Re: ~2050 mile road trip, St L to San Fran? (via Salt Lake and Reno/Tahoe, maybe)

Post by psteinx »

Hopefully we'll do the hiking mostly in the mornings, and elevation may help.

In Vegas, hope to get a hotel with a nice pool. Will show daughter some of the sights (and yeah, some walking outdoors, but maybe not so much if it's blazing), plus the pool, plus maybe nice/interesting dinner(s) and show(s). Probably little gambling.

I'm hoping that just some of the driving over the mountains of the Rockies will be pretty interesting all on its own...
Marseille07
Posts: 10103
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:41 pm

Re: ~2050 mile road trip, St L to San Fran? (via Salt Lake and Reno/Tahoe, maybe)

Post by Marseille07 »

Tbh they should take the Salt Lake / Tahoe route and don't bother with the Vegas route in August. Driving through the Mojave, the Hoover Dam would be nice but scorching hot.
US & FM (5% seed) | 300K Cash
Californiastate
Posts: 1101
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:52 am

Re: ~2050 mile road trip, St L to San Fran? (via Salt Lake and Reno/Tahoe, maybe)

Post by Californiastate »

You're so close to Death Valley. The heat doesn't seem to be an issue why don't you double down and go for the ring. Death Valley in July will make Zion feel like Pacific Grove. Be prepared.
InMyDreams
Posts: 1286
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:35 am

Re: ~2050 mile road trip, St L to San Fran? (via Salt Lake and Reno/Tahoe, maybe)

Post by InMyDreams »

psteinx wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:56 am Hopefully we'll do the hiking mostly in the mornings, and elevation may help.
So, you're coming from StL, so presumably you're accustomed to heat with humidity. Good news - this should be dry heat. But in the most touristed area of Zion, there isn't much elevation, nor shade, and it will be hot. Bring plenty of water.
psteinx wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:56 am In Vegas, hope to get a hotel with a nice pool. Will show daughter some of the sights (and yeah, some walking outdoors, but maybe not so much if it's blazing), plus the pool, plus maybe nice/interesting dinner(s) and show(s). Probably little gambling.
Not my thing, but I've been told that by others - just do indoor things except early morning/late night.
psteinx wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:56 am I'm hoping that just some of the driving over the mountains of the Rockies will be pretty interesting all on its own...
You'll be near Cedar Breaks/Bryan Head - they are very high and cool (in comparison). Cedar City is home of the Shakespeare Festival (www.bard.org) and have very good theater - Shakespeare and others. It's also very pretty country.

And...keep an eye out for wildfires. I think there's an app for that.
123
Posts: 8690
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: Road trip, St L to Bay Area

Post by 123 »

psteinx wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:17 pm ...
Day 5: Maybe a bit more AM Zion hiking, then drive->Las Vegas
Day 6: Vegas hangout
...
Hotel rates in Las Vegas are greatly impacted by the arrival of weekend visitor from the Los Angeles area (and everywhere else). Hotel rates are often highest for Friday and Saturday nights and often much lower (could be 50% or more at some hotels) for Sunday through Thursday nights. During the summer there generally won't be any slow days for activities.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
jlawrence01
Posts: 1759
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:34 am
Location: Southern AZ

Re: ~2050 mile road trip, St L to San Fran? (via Salt Lake and Reno/Tahoe, maybe)

Post by jlawrence01 »

InMyDreams wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:13 pm
psteinx wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:56 am Hopefully we'll do the hiking mostly in the mornings, and elevation may help.
So, you're coming from StL, so presumably you're accustomed to heat with humidity. Good news - this should be dry heat. But in the most touristed area of Zion, there isn't much elevation, nor shade, and it will be hot. Bring plenty of water.
psteinx wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:56 am In Vegas, hope to get a hotel with a nice pool. Will show daughter some of the sights (and yeah, some walking outdoors, but maybe not so much if it's blazing), plus the pool, plus maybe nice/interesting dinner(s) and show(s). Probably little gambling.
Not my thing, but I've been told that by others - just do indoor things except early morning/late night.
psteinx wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:56 am I'm hoping that just some of the driving over the mountains of the Rockies will be pretty interesting all on its own...
You'll be near Cedar Breaks/Bryan Head - they are very high and cool (in comparison). Cedar City is home of the Shakespeare Festival (www.bard.org) and have very good theater - Shakespeare and others. It's also very pretty country.

And...keep an eye out for wildfires. I think there's an app for that.

The Utah Shakespeare Festival has been shut down all week due to COVID among the performers. I will be getting a refund for the rickets.
RetiredArtist
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:38 pm

Re: ~2050 mile road trip, St L to San Fran? (via Salt Lake and Reno/Tahoe, maybe)

Post by RetiredArtist »

psteinx wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:31 pm A bit of luggage in the back of Honda Civic

When we get to San Fran, we'll likely be apartment hunting for her. Easy/safe to street park a car around San Fran, or better to leave it in a hotel garage/lot and use other transport options?

It's best not to leave anything in your car in San Francisco, especially a car with out of state plates. Not even in a hotel garage.
InMyDreams
Posts: 1286
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:35 am

Re: ~2050 mile road trip, St L to San Fran? (via Salt Lake and Reno/Tahoe, maybe)

Post by InMyDreams »

jlawrence01 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:25 am
psteinx wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:56 am I'm hoping that just some of the driving over the mountains of the Rockies will be pretty interesting all on its own...
You'll be near Cedar Breaks/Bryan Head - they are very high and cool (in comparison). Cedar City is home of the Shakespeare Festival (www.bard.org) and have very good theater - Shakespeare and others. It's also very pretty country.

And...keep an eye out for wildfires. I think there's an app for that.

The Utah Shakespeare Festival has been shut down all week due to COVID among the performers. I will be getting a refund for the rickets.
[/quote]

Oh, wow, didn't know about that! Southern Utah's COVID status moved to yellow a week or two ago.
OP - the fires around Bryce:


A wildfire burning through the mountains outside of Bryce Canyon National Park grew to an estimated 2,600 acres on Monday.

The Left Fork Fire, as state wildfire managers called it, was first reported Saturday afternoon in the mountainous Dixie National Forest about 10 miles southwest of Bryce Canyon City. Driven by high winds, it burned through the mixed conifer trees and dry vegetation into the Kanab Creek drainage area.... but the fire was just 5% contained and was expected to continue expanding to the northeast until the winds died down

https://news.yahoo.com/southern-utah-wi ... 44025.html

to get updates
https://utahfireinfo.gov/

Another idea would be to drive thru Valley of Fire State Park (Nevada) on your way to LV. If you do, don't miss the spur that leads out from the visitor center - it's the best part of the park.
Post Reply