Car repair costs (torque converter) for 9 year old car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
finite_difference

Re: Car repair costs (torque converter) for 9 year old car

Post by finite_difference »

climber2020 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:59 am
finite_difference wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:38 am Yes, you have to follow the maintenance schedule. But there’s no falling apart at the seams. I think you’ve been driving too many poorly engineered cars.
One complaint I have with Toyota is that the owner's manual says nothing about when to actually change the transmission fluid. For someone who knows relatively little about cars, it's not obvious that this is something that should be done at regular intervals.

The manual recommends a transmission fluid inspection every 30,000 miles, which I did on schedule, but my transmission fluid was fine until all of a sudden it wasn't. I really think they should advise a change at specified mileage milestones like they do with oil changes.
I wonder what they mean by transmission fluid inspection. But I agree, it would be simpler to list an interval. From what I’ve read, ATF should be done every 45k or 60k miles.

For fluids, I follow this maintenance schedule:

-Transmission service: drain and fill with correct Toyota/Honda transmission fluid every 45k-60k miles.
-Replace brake fluid every 3-4 years.
-Replace power steering fluid every 3-4 years.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
Topic Author
climber2020

Re: Car repair costs (torque converter) for 9 year old car

Post by climber2020 »

Update on my car. It's been almost 3 months since the fluid flush. The shudder has resolved and so far no recurrence. Hopefully this thread will be helpful to others who have this issue. I'll update again if the transmission develops any new problems.