Where to see SEC yield history for bond funds?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
strakert

Where to see SEC yield history for bond funds?

Post by strakert »

Is there a place online where I can see a graph of the 30-day SEC yield for different bond funds over time?
jeffyscott

Re: Where to see SEC yield history for bond funds?

Post by jeffyscott »

The only place I have ever seen any historical data is at Vanguard and only for their own funds, no graph but you could make your own from the data. It looks like you better hurry as they appear to have eliminated this in the, phone-centric, updated site :?: .

On the old "price and performance" tab, if you do a search for more historical price information, you will also get the historical SEC yield.

Here's the legacy page for VBTLX as a starting point:
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... cyFlag=LGF
The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions. ― John C. Bogle
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

jeffyscott wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:33 am The only place I have ever seen any historical data is at Vanguard and only for their own funds, no graph but you could make your own from the data. It looks like you better hurry as they appear to have eliminated this in the, phone-centric, updated site :?: .

On the old "price and performance" tab, if you do a search for more historical price information, you will also get the historical SEC yield.

Will be a bummer if they eliminate the old historical price and yield search. Some years ago I wrote a script to pull historical prices and yields from this web page, and still use it to this day to track Vanguard fund SEC yields. I just ran it now, and it still works, and pulled prices and yields for today.

Kevin
If I make a calculation error, #Cruncher probably will let me know.
Topic Author
strakert

Post by strakert »

jeffyscott wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:33 am The only place I have ever seen any historical data is at Vanguard and only for their own funds, no graph but you could make your own from the data. It looks like you better hurry as they appear to have eliminated this in the, phone-centric, updated site :?: .

Thank you!
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Kevin M wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:48 pm Will be a bummer if they eliminate the old historical price and yield search. Some years ago I wrote a script to pull historical prices and yields from this web page, and still use it to this day to track Vanguard fund SEC yields. I just ran it now, and it still works, and pulled prices and yields for today.

Kevin
The notification at the new page says:
The old version of this page will be phased out shortly, but rest assured the changes won't impact website functionality in any way.

But I sure could not find that functionality:
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... folio/0584

Historical prices there show only the price, no yield.
The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions. ― John C. Bogle
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

jeffyscott wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:10 pm
Kevin M wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:48 pm Will be a bummer if they eliminate the old historical price and yield search.
The old version of this page will be phased out shortly, but rest assured the changes won't impact website functionality in any way.

FWIW, the new page for VMFXX (and presumably other MM funds) has this language:
Historical prices

Price history does not apply to money market funds because they historically have maintained a stable price of $1 per share. However, you can conduct a Price History Search to review historical yield information, which may be useful when evaluating money market funds.
Embedded in that paragraph is a link to the old price history search page, where you can still get SEC yield history for the fund. And if you use it for Total Bond Admiral, you still get price & SEC yield history.
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

House Blend wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:41 am
jeffyscott wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:10 pm
Kevin M wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:48 pm Will be a bummer if they eliminate the old historical price and yield search.

FWIW, the new page for VMFXX (and presumably other MM funds) has this language:
Historical prices

Price history does not apply to money market funds because they historically have maintained a stable price of $1 per share. However, you can conduct a Price History Search to review historical yield information, which may be useful when evaluating money market funds.
Embedded in that paragraph is a link to the old price history search page, where you can still get SEC yield history for the fund. And if you use it for Total Bond Admiral, you still get price & SEC yield history.
Thanks for this! That means my script should continue to work.

This paragraph and link is not included in the new page for VBTLX--only the price info is there. However, once this takes you to the price/history search page, you can enter any fund you want, and it works.

Kevin
If I make a calculation error, #Cruncher probably will let me know.