Which is the best (most secure) home internet router for the money?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
xerxes101

Which is the best (most secure) home internet router for the money?

Post by xerxes101 »

Hello,

I am in the market for a new router for my home internet network. My ISP is currently FiOS. I am updating my old one because I want better security/encryption and I do not intend to rent one from FiOS. I understand the new generation of routers are more secure...just want to have the peace of mind as far as internet security for my banking and financial transactions.

Please recommend one that you think offers high security at a reasonable cost. Thanks
Point

Re: Which is the best (most secure) home internet router for the money?

Post by Point »

Topic Author
xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 »

Thank you for the recommendation.
After some research, thinking about going with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079JD7F7G?ps ... ct_details

It is reasonably priced and the best selling router at Amazon.

Any drawbacks?
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

xerxes101 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:36 am Thank you for the recommendation.

Any drawbacks?
At $53, its going to be older run-of-mill router and this might be a close-out price. IMO, that does not match your opening post.

That said, if my router died, this would be a candidate for me -- all I is desire is a basic router-wireless.
Topic Author
xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 »

RetiredAL wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:00 pm

At $53, its going to be older run-of-mill router and this might be a close-out price. IMO, that does not match your opening post.

That said, if my router died, this would be a candidate for me -- all I is desire is a basic router-wireless.
So do you think the security is not going to be good because of being older?...or do you anticipate poor signal in areas far away from the router?
beardsicles

Post by beardsicles »

A router is not a place to cheap out. Especially if you work from home. I spent a small fortune on our router setup and I’d do it again in a heartbeat.
Ryzen

Post by Ryzen »

The real answer here for a secure and affordable router is separate router that is set up using the rules listed at: https://routersecurity.org/#StartHere and a separate wifi access point (such as a Ubiquiti Edgerouter X for routing - very affordable - and an access point that does no routing). This may be more work than most people are willing to put into their home internet, but I think it is well worth it especially for working from home. Most off the shelf routers (Asus, Linksys, TP LINK etc.) are junk.

If you have even one "smart device" such as a Nest or camera connected to your wifi network that you use for your computers, assume you are compromised.
j9j

Post by j9j »

I would recommend the asus line of routers. I find there bios and featureset top notch without being overly complicated. My current wireless AC one has been running for years without hiccup.

That being said any recent router will provide a similar set of security as long as you step through the configuration properly. Ie don’t leave admin account default, follow good password practices, and periodically install the security updates.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

There are many ways to skin the internet security cat, and its not as simple as new hardware vs old hardware.

First is to have good user practice in password management, 2fa, browser config, etc.

Then theres the setup of your network and keeping various devices and networks shielded from eachother.

Then the hardware if you *might* want to scrutinize buying from american manufacturer instead of chinese, and ones frequent with software updates (which most of the time are security patches).

All said, while security is very important, the likelihood of your financial transactions getting sniffed is low and the likelihood of it due to having bought the ‘wrong’ router is wayyy lower. It’s like…how likely your bike is to getting stolen has very little to do with the actual lock.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

xerxes101 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:59 am Hello,

I am in the market for a new router for my home internet network. My ISP is currently FiOS. I am updating my old one because I want better security/encryption and I do not intend to rent one from FiOS. I understand the new generation of routers are more secure...just want to have the peace of mind as far as internet security for my banking and financial transactions.

Please recommend one that you think offers high security at a reasonable cost. Thanks
xerxes101,

I am a network engineer. I prefer to rent my router from Verizon Fios. I know that it is tested , maintained, and backed by Verizon. It is more likely to be safer than any other consumer router. As far as encryption, I am not sure why would you rely on the router. It is highly dependent on your computer.

KlangFool
40% VWENX | 12.5% VFWAX/VTIAX | 11.5% VTSAX | 16% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 40% Wellington 40% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
richard.h.gao

Post by richard.h.gao »

Any drawbacks?
Get the newer model that supports wifi 6.
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

The "most secure" router is going to be one that is currently supported and automatically updates firmware. My Google Nest/Wifi mesh routers do this, as do others I'm sure. A router that requires manual firmware updates or has not had a firmware update in many years is probably less secure.
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

I run OPNsense, an open source router platform, which I believe distribute weekly security updates.
It does cost you a bit more to set it up though.
My signature has been deleted.
kabob

Post by kabob »

Any drawbacks?
TP-Link makes reliable well valued products - I & alotta my friends like & use TP-Link stuff.
That AC1750 your thinkin bout IS a totally acceptable reliable Router/WiFi for most residential/homeoffice use - it Is a Best seller an has a good rep...
Disadvantage -isn't the LatestGreatestt/BleedingEdge(WIFI 6) - but does preform well for most existing devices.
Do ya plan on getting any New WIFI 6 stuff?
Here's a list of other related Tp-Link routers...
Take your pick...
That AX1800 would probably an equal performer to the AC1750 with the new WIFI 6 features
The AX3000 would probably a sig stepup in speed & range preformance...
The AX5400 should be TelePathic and HaveItReady just by ThinkinBoutIt...
squirrel1963

Post by squirrel1963 »

indexfundfan wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:51 pm I run OPNsense, an open source router platform, which I believe distribute weekly security updates.
It does cost you a bit more to set it up though.
I second this. I'm a os/system engineer and I also run my own router using a small embedded hardware box with PfSense installed. This (or OPNSENSE or other reputable firewall/routing software) will give you the best possible security because the software itself is open source and inspected by thousands of engineers.
That said it will be daunting if you don't have technical knowledge.
You could also get a Ubiquiti firewall/router and wifi access points. This will also require quite a bit of technical knowledge to setup, and none of these solutions are cheap.

For ease of installation and use I would say probably Netgear or TP-Links. They never disappointed me in the past.
hnd

Post by hnd »

I ran mikrotik routers and did all my own security on it for probably a decade. I've since moved onto the Eero system through amazon and quite frankly couldn't be happier.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

xerxes101 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:59 am Hello,

What are you securing it from? You can literally pick any from the store it would be secure as long as you configure it properly (eg change the default accounts/pwd, string pwds etc).
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

One that you can update.

I like this site for reviewing routers:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

CAT6 wire your house.
kabob

Post by kabob »

+1 - https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/
+1 - CAT6 wire your house.
Both are Great solutions...
To OP, that TP-LINK AX1800 Wi-Fi 6 Router mentioned previously Is on the SmallNetBuilders Top 10 list.
Actually it's #10, not the top of the list, but #10 is on the list... and reviews quite well.
Last edited by kabob on Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

I run OPNsense and Unifi AP Lites at my house, but when my parents needed new wifi I bought them a tri-band (dedicated backhaul radio) Orbi kit because it does everything they need and is simple to operate. Speeds are fast all over their house after some planning on satellite placement.

The TP Link above is a single router/ap and not a mesh setup like orbi. Originally you needed mesh for coverage in large (3000 - 5000 square foot) homes, but as internet speeds have gone up you many times need wired backhaul or dedicated backhaul radio satellites do deliver full speed across even a modest sized 2000 square foot house.
Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 »

j9j wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:02 pm I would recommend the asus line of routers. I find there bios and featureset top notch without being overly complicated. My current wireless AC one has been running for years without hiccup.

That being said any recent router will provide a similar set of security as long as you step through the configuration properly. Ie don’t leave admin account default, follow good password practices, and periodically install the security updates.
Agree on Asus routers. Reliable, relatively easy to manage, good features, good value. Netgear products are my second choice.

I've been on the vendor side selling networking equipment to carriers and cable companies. Their priorities for customer premises equipment (consumer) are cost, remote management and cost. Not to say their routers are bad, but you can do better.
Cicero123

Post by Cicero123 »

Whatever router you get, read the fine print. I bought an Asus RT AC 1200 because it advertised Wi-Fi speeds of up to 867 megabits per second, and I have 200/200 fiber service. But I could never get anything to connect at faster than 100. After researching, I found that the WAN hard wire port was limited to 100. Several reviewers have taken Asus to task, shaming them for featuring the 867 speed of the wireless, when the hardwire limits it.
money2churn

Post by money2churn »

If you're at all tech savvy, just buy a cheap TP-Link box and put openwrt on it. Probably as secure as anything you're going to find in consumer-grade hardware.