Sit stand desk autonomous AI etc

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
elderwise

Sit stand desk autonomous AI etc

Post by elderwise »

You know when inflation is getting beyond control when these 200 250 sit stand desks are retailing for 800 to 1000$. What must be the profit margin on these am sure the don't cost more than 100$

Any recommendations? I thought March 2020 covid hit prices for WFH stuff ..and it's due to demand and supply chain issues..

2 years down but now it seems their prices have sky rocketed like tesla to the moon!!! :confused
runninginvestor

Re: Sit stand desk autonomous AI etc

Post by runninginvestor »

elderwise wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:06 pm You know when inflation is getting beyond control when these 200 250 sit stand desks are retailing for 800 to 1000$. What must be the profit margin on these am sure the don't cost more than 100$

Any recommendations? I thought March 2020 covid hit prices for WFH stuff ..and it's due to demand and supply chain issues..

2 years down but now it seems their prices have sky rocketed like tesla to the moon!!! :confused
I moved and had to change the layout of my desk. I had an electric base, so bought a smaller tabletop for it.

I got this top:
$102 / free shipping / 2'x4' / Other colors run a little cheaper, bigger sizes a little more expensive
https://www.officesupply.com/office-fur ... q=tabletop

You could get a base, for ex:
$260 / free shipping
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C2LC3H2?re ... MQHZD0W1M0

I have had no problems with the tabletop in 2 years. Nice and sturdy yet easy to drill holes for the base and base controller.

Edit: That site also has the full desk for ~$400.
https://www.officesupply.com/office-fur ... yId=320026
Afty

Post by Afty »

It's been a year but I bought a 72" motorized sit/stand desk at a used office supply store for $450. It's good as new and presumably higher quality than consumer desks.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

I bought a Flexispot 48x30 motorized sit stand desk last year for $239. So far so good.

It's now $249 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H2W9Y3W. And there's a $15 coupon available as well.

Autonomous AI not included :P
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PH ... UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I got. I decided to get a simpler crank handle rather than a motor. I rarely raise the desk, but it's nice to have the option, without the complexity of a motor system that might have issues later.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

I’m disappointed this post wasn’t about autonomous AI in sit stand desks. What happened??
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

GreendaleCC wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:12 pm I’m disappointed this post wasn’t about autonomous AI in sit stand desks. What happened??
I know right? I was waiting for the Gran Torino quotes to hit. Very disappointing.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
StealthWealth

Post by StealthWealth »

I went with a DeskHaus Apex Pro with a top from Home Depot. It wasn't the lowest cost option but I have been thrilled with it. I have seen too many desks that have slight movement when raised up and that is noticeable when on video calls and whatnot. I think I could Sparta kick this thing and it would barely wiggle. They are very active on Reddit and have a bit of a cult following of happy customers.

https://desk.haus/products/apex-pro-2?v ... 6448366741
loghound

Post by loghound »

I purchased a 'base' (basically the amazon link on the second post) and attached it to an existing work surface I had -- I've been using it for about 5 years with no problems....
I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time. | - Blaise Pascal
VeryBlessedCali

Post by VeryBlessedCali »

Check out Costco for this
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

Look into Husky adjustable height work benches at Home Depot. Very sturdy.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-52-in ... /311742118
Topic Author
elderwise

Post by elderwise »

I don't work for autonomous but does nobody like them at all?no one here has autonomous ai desk?

I did some research and FB and reddit has good reviews on them..

Compared to Jarvis, and others its cheaper or was cheaper 2020 ish..

Need to do more research.
Oakdale19

Post by Oakdale19 »

I’ve had one for just about 6 years. It’s still going strong.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

elderwise wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:52 am I don't work for autonomous but does nobody like them at all?
I don't get your comment. Just because I didn't buy an Autonomous AI brand desk doesn't mean I don't like them. I merely chose to buy something less expensive but with the necessary function I care about. Kind of like buying an index fund over an actively managed fund :)

Anyway, they have a Memorial Day sale going on. Their SmartDesk Connect (53x29) normally $699 is going for $539. I don't want to control my desk using a smartphone app but some people are willing to pay for that.
Topic Author
elderwise

Post by elderwise »

sycamore wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:59 am
elderwise wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:52 am I don't work for autonomous but does nobody like them at all?
I don't get your comment. Just because I didn't buy an Autonomous AI brand desk doesn't mean I don't like them. I merely chose to buy something less expensive but with the necessary function I care about. Kind of like buying an index fund over an actively managed fund :)

Anyway, they have a Memorial Day sale going on. Their SmartDesk Connect (53x29) normally $699 is going for $539. I don't want to control my desk using a smartphone app but some people are willing to pay for that.
No no.. I mean not a single person commented about their experience with an AI desk.

I thought lot more folks use autonomous than what I saw in this thread..

I meant I'm not trying to shill, but I've read it's decent/ good desk..that's all..
tedgeorge

Post by tedgeorge »

I've got an Autonomous desk and it's fine. Smooth up and down when I remember to actually use it. It has multiple height adjustments but I only use two (my standing and sitting heights). I don't think there is a lot of difference in any of the motorized desks these days. Find something you like and go for it.

The real deals are on Facebook and craigslist too as people are finally going back to the office or making big moves and they cannot take them with them. Especially the college kids! Great time of year to get that spare fridge to fit under said desk if you need it!
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

elderwise wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:26 pm

No no.. I mean not a single person commented about their experience with an AI desk.

I meant I'm not trying to shill, but I've read it's decent/ good desk..that's all..
Sounds good :sharebeer

I suspect there are a lot of "good enough" desks. One I used at work could memorize 5 positions. The one I bought at home has no memory but it's easy enough to raise/lower to just the right spot.
avidracer

Post by avidracer »

elderwise wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:52 am I don't work for autonomous but does nobody like them at all?no one here has autonomous ai desk?

I did some research and FB and reddit has good reviews on them..

Compared to Jarvis, and others its cheaper or was cheaper 2020 ish..

Need to do more research.
I have one that I have been using for well over an year. No issues or complaints from my end. Then again nothing fancy: just one small desktop computer, a 27" monitor, and laptop goes on the top. Its does not wobble or shake - at both sitting and standing heights. The current price seems to be a tad higher than what I paid for. The opt is laminate (I was not particular on wood) - but was not sure if I am 'handy' enough to buy a top separately and drill pilot holes without breaking/punching holes that shows from the top on the laminate.
gpburdell

Post by gpburdell »

I built my home office back in 2019. The first step was buying a standing desk which after doing alot research, I decided on the Uplift V2C standing desk. Since it comes with a 15 year warranty, I decided I would splurge and get a really nice tabletop for it (2in Acacia solid wood) @ 72"x30". This added several hundred to the cost but I love it.
onourway

Post by onourway »

The cheaper way is to simply set up a desk at standing height, and then use a stool or raised chair. When you want to sit you sit, stand you stand. Nothing to adjust. Been doing it this way for near a decade.
yakk0

Post by yakk0 »

We have an Autonomous L-shaped desk. It was one of the few such desks that was the right dimensions for our space and not overly expensive. We are happy with it.

The only other L-shaped motorized desk I’m familiar with are the commercial ones at my office which were much much more expensive. The Autonomous is less smooth (tends to have a significant lurch right at the start of movement) and louder. But not a big deal, as we don’t change heights very often. After a year of use, the table surface is showing a bit of wear at the edges of the laminate. I wish the L desk had the bamboo option like the smaller desks do.
cmr79

Post by cmr79 »

We got an autonomous AI desk at the start of the pandemic, so about 2 years now. Having four preset heights is useful for us; both my wife and I have different presets for sitting and standing (our heights are quite different). No issues or complaints.
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

Your OP didn’t solicit comments on others’ experience with an AI desk. You focused on cost and inflation.

Respondents replied with lower cost alternatives.
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu