Monthly or Quarterly statements at TreasuryDirect?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
frugalor

Monthly or Quarterly statements at TreasuryDirect?

Post by frugalor »

I have some money in i-bonds. I went through TreasuryDirect site but couldn't find any statements. Are there any monthly or quarterly statements at TreasuryDirect?
Mel Lindauer

Re: Monthly or Quarterly statements at TreasuryDirect?

Post by Mel Lindauer »

frugalor wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:11 pm I have some money in i-bonds. I went through TreasuryDirect site but couldn't find any statements. Are there any monthly or quarterly statements at TreasuryDirect?
TD doesn't provide paper statements. You have to go online to see your holdings and values. And when it comes time to report your taxable interest, TD doesn't send out the annual 1099-INT like nearly every other financial institution does. Rather, you have to remember to go online and download it yourself.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

From the TreasuryDirect site: https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/he ... -Intro.htm
"TreasuryDirect does not provide paper savings bonds or paper account statements. If you want a paper copy of your account information, you should use the browser's toolbar to print the relevant pages in your account that show your holdings."
"People sometimes fail to live because they are always preparing to live." - Alan Watts
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:27 pm
frugalor wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:11 pm I have some money in i-bonds. I went through TreasuryDirect site but couldn't find any statements. Are there any monthly or quarterly statements at TreasuryDirect?
TD doesn't provide paper statements. You have to go online to see your holdings and values. And when it comes time to report your taxable interest, TD doesn't send out the annual 1099-INT like nearly every other financial institution does. Rather, you have to remember to go online and download it yourself.
The irony of it all. By the people and for the people?

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Random Musings wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:52 pm

RM
I'm sure there are folks who sell their Savings Bonds early in the year and then forget all about reporting it at tax time 14 or 15 months later. They then end up getting in trouble with the IRS as a result of not getting a mailed 1099-INT from TD and failing to report it on their tax return..
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:57 pm

RM
I'm sure there are folks who sell their Savings Bonds early in the year and then forget all about reporting it at tax time 14 or 15 months later. They then end up getting in trouble with the IRS as a result of not getting a mailed 1099-INT from TD and failing to report it on their tax return..
Of course, in certain cases like when children hold I-Bonds it may be advantageous to report the interest every year to minimize the tax bite. But how hard would it be to at least send out a generic email to those who sell any I-Bonds during the year a reminder that interest must be reported?

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Random Musings wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:09 pm

RM
Of course, in certain cases like when children hold I-Bonds it may be advantageous to report the interest every year to minimize the tax bite. But how hard would it be to at least send out a generic email to those who sell any I-Bonds during the year a reminder that interest must be reported?

RM
Exactly. AFAIK, no other banking or financial organization who issues 1099-INTs fails to do so in January via US mail. Definitely not a desirable distinction, IMO.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:41 pm

RM

RM
Exactly. AFAIK, no other banking or financial organization who issues 1099-INTs fails to do so in January via US mail. Definitely not a desirable distinction, IMO.
Desireable distinction to me.
I have gone paperless everywhere and can't seem to stop banks from sending 1099-INTs. My mail is unreliable and sometimes lands in my neighbor's mailbox (and last I checked an not so insignificant amount of US mail is lost) - wish banks wouldn't keep sending paper to folks with paperless preferences set. Also - mailing paper is wasted money and resources. Kudos to TD for doing this.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

I've come around to going paperless so I don't mind the lack of paper from TD. It would be nice to have a statement, but I can deal with what they give.

Where I get perplexed and disappointed is in the format of the actual 1099. TD's 1099 has to be the worst formatted 1099 in the history of 1099s. They also don't have any way to throw off a PDF or any decent rendering, so you are basically stuck with web browser printing.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

SmileyFace wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:03 am
Mel Lindauer wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:41 pm

RM

RM
Desireable distinction to me.
I have gone paperless everywhere and can't seem to stop banks from sending 1099-INTs. My mail is unreliable and sometimes lands in my neighbor's mailbox (and last I checked an not so insignificant amount of US mail is lost) - wish banks wouldn't keep sending paper to folks with paperless preferences set. Also - mailing paper is wasted money and resources. Kudos to TD for doing this.
I am setting my life up for no mail. It may be the biggest security risk I have. The post office at our second home places a house vacant sign in our mail box ( to make sure substitute carrier knows not to put mail in our box) which makes me mad the boogie man will know we have a mail hold on for 5 months. The post office doesn’t understand why I don’t like it. Treasury direct is so far behind the game they are ahead. Mail service will end and we will laugh they used to go to our house everyday. As we get old we have to remember who owes us tax forms . Aye caruumba.
ThreeDB

Post by ThreeDB »

I receive an email from TreasuryDirect in the last week of January that reminds me to check my tax information.

"Dear Account Owner:
Please check the Investor InBox section of your TreasuryDirect account and all linked accounts, if applicable, for important tax information.
For an instructional video on how to access your 1099 from your TreasuryDirect account, please click on the link below:

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/tools/1099.htm

Thank you for using TreasuryDirect."

And I can't agree with user Tubes more - the format of TD's 1099 is terrible.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Since I-bonds interest is posted once a month, all you have to do is sign in, bring up your holdings, and print it. You can print the info anytime you desire. I print it once a month after the interest has been posted.

For those with paper I-bonds, there is a program named Savings Bond Calculator that allows you to build an inventory of all your paper bonds one time, then you can update the new value of your bonds at anytime. All you have to do to update is change the "value as of" date and everything updates. You can then save or print your report. I print once a month just like my report for my bonds held at TD.

In times when the market isn't so hot, it is nice to see at least some part of your investment portfolio is always growing, always positive. :D

Mention is made on later posts about 1099s. TD will not mail a 1099 to you. Instead you will receive an email advising you to sign in and retrieve it.

It is imperative one keeps their email address current.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:44 am
Since I-bonds interest is posted once a month, all you have to do is sign in, bring up your holdings, and print it. You can print the info anytime you desire. I print it once a month after the interest has been posted.

For those with paper I-bonds, there is a program named Savings Bond Calculator that allows you to build an inventory of all your paper bonds one time, then you can update the new value of your bonds at anytime. All you have to do to update is change the "value as of" date and everything updates. You can then save or print your report. I print once a month just like my report for my bonds held at TD.

In times when the market isn't so hot, it is nice to see at least some part of your investment portfolio is always growing, always positive. :D

Mention is made on later posts about 1099s. TD will not mail a 1099 to you. Instead you will receive an email advising you to sign in and retrieve it.

Broken Man 1999
Yes, keep the email address current.

One other point about paper bonds. Should you convert them to a linked conversion account, you essentially have two TD accounts with two 1099s. Don't forget the converted account 1099.

I know someone here posted instructions on combining them. The reality is many of us have that linked account and don't want to combine them, or don't have the patience to go through the steps, so be aware. The second email you get from TD is not a duplicate.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Broken Man 1999
There's a major problem with TD when it comes to saving one's I Bond holdings. The TD site doesn't allow saving your inventory if you use Google Chrome as your browser. Chrome is one of the most used browsers (if not the most used) and TD still doesn't allow Savings Bond owners to save their inventory if they use the Chrome browser. That's absolutely ridiculous IMO. That means I Bond owners who use Chrome have to retype their inventory each and every time they log on to update their holdings' values. And for those of us with a large inventory, that's a lot of totally unnecessary work and wasted time.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Mel, when I log onto TD, it is like 1999. No party, just the hangover. Chrome wasn't around back then, so not surprised it is broken.

There are rumors that a comprehensive remake is in progress. I'll believe it when I see it
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Tubes wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:03 pm Mel, when I log onto TD, it is like 1999. No party, just the hangover. Chrome wasn't around back then, so not surprised it is broken.

There are rumors that a comprehensive remake is in progress. I'll believe it when I see it
You may have solved the Chrome mystery, Tubes. And yes, there is an update in progress. Let's hope that it's an improvement. Hard to not be when the bar is set so low.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:34 pm There's a major problem with TD when it comes to saving one's I Bond holdings. The TD site doesn't allow saving your inventory if you use Google Chrome as your browser. Chrome is one of the most used browsers (if not the most used) and TD still doesn't allow Savings Bond owners to save their inventory if they use the Chrome browser. That's absolutely ridiculous IMO. That means I Bond owners who use Chrome have to retype their inventory each and every time they log on to update their holdings' values. And for those of us with a large inventory, that's a lot of totally unnecessary work and wasted time.
To be fair, it's common for Google to announce that long-established web standards/conventions are now "deprecated" and will be removed from Chrome in the next six months, so there is a good chance that it's not TD ignoring Chrome so much as Chrome pulling the rug out from underneath it.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Makefile wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:37 pm
Mel Lindauer wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:34 pm There's a major problem with TD when it comes to saving one's I Bond holdings. The TD site doesn't allow saving your inventory if you use Google Chrome as your browser. Chrome is one of the most used browsers (if not the most used) and TD still doesn't allow Savings Bond owners to save their inventory if they use the Chrome browser. That's absolutely ridiculous IMO. That means I Bond owners who use Chrome have to retype their inventory each and every time they log on to update their holdings' values. And for those of us with a large inventory, that's a lot of totally unnecessary work and wasted time.
To be fair, it's common for Google to announce that long-established web standards/conventions are now "deprecated" and will be removed from Chrome in the next six months, so there is a good chance that it's not TD ignoring Chrome so much as Chrome pulling the rug out from underneath it.
What's happening with Chrome in the future doesn't come into play here since TD has never allowed one to save their inventory if they used Chrome as far back as I can remember.

I think Tubes explanation (see above) is more likely the correct answer.
nps

Post by nps »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:34 pm

Broken Man 1999
There's a major problem with TD when it comes to saving one's I Bond holdings. The TD site doesn't allow saving your inventory if you use Google Chrome as your browser. Chrome is one of the most used browsers (if not the most used) and TD still doesn't allow Savings Bond owners to save their inventory if they use the Chrome browser. That's absolutely ridiculous IMO. That means I Bond owners who use Chrome have to retype their inventory each and every time they log on to update their holdings' values. And for those of us with a large inventory, that's a lot of totally unnecessary work and wasted time.
Despite what Treasury Direct's website states, I don't see a problem with using Chrome.

Ctrl + S, then Save as type Webpage, Complete.
Broken Man 1999

Broken Man 1999
Truthfully if I had read the clearly stated info on the TD site I would have only had to build my inventory in Savings Bond Calculator once. That error was on me, duh! :oops:

So, if Chrome and Microsoft Edge didn't allow one to save the file, what browser did? Internet Explorer.

I just changed my browser to Internet Explorer, rebuilt my inventory, and saved my inventory of 92 bonds. I used to change the browser everytime I updated so I could save the file. But, since the Savings Bond Calculator "as of date" can be in the past, I saw no need to download a copy each month, as I could use any applicable date in the past to see historical growth or whatever. If you want to save as a file, you will have to use Internet Explorer (so far as MY experience, perhaps other browsers except Chrome and Microsoft Edge could work) as there are many browsers available today.

For the last several months I have use a downloaded copy I saved on 10/21 (my last saved file using Internet Explorer) to access the Savings Bond Calculator and change the "as of date" to update the value, print and I'm done. You don't have to use Internet Explorer to update your inventory, and print, only if you save. I only use Microsoft Edge, no issues with printing.

Wonky, sure, a bit. But now I can launch a session at TD (no sign-on required) by clicking on Return to Savings Bond Calculator heading on my saved copy, change the "as of date" and print off my report. A couple of minutes, done.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Broken Man 1999

nps wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:37 am

Broken Man 1999
Despite what Treasury Direct's website states, I don't see a problem with using Chrome.

Ha! I don't have Chrome but I saved the file with Microsoft Edge! Who knew...

I saved the file, then returned to TD and changed the "as of date" to 11/2000, and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for the tip! I still have no interest in saving the report and cluttering up my PC, but it is nice to know I can easily save a file if I want to do so!

Broken Man 1999
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Broken Man 1999

I'll give your suggestion a try next time I go through the process of typing in my long list and hope it works. Not sure why TD says it won't, but it's worth a try.
Broken Man 1999

Mel Lindauer wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:51 pm

Broken Man 1999

I'll give your suggestion a try next time I go through the process of typing in my long list and hope it works. Not sure why TD says it won't, but it's worth a try.
As one who has rebuilt my 92 bond inventory, just start with 4-5 bonds to test with. That way if you don't get it right the first time, you haven't spent a lot of time adding your larger inventory and seeing failure.

I came to that sensible conclusion later than I wished. :oops:

Broken Man 1999
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

+1. I also recommend* the Savings Bond Calculator to track the values of your savings bonds. Why? It's fast (<30 seconds, after you get it set up), because it don't need to login to your TD account to get your updated values.

Personal copy of SBC data. When I did savings bonds, it was easy to save a copy of my data onto my PC as an *.HTML file (an option).

Monthly update. Then each month I'd click on my saved *.HTML data file (opens in default browser), clicked the internal link to "get updated values" (whatever the wording), and my bond values would be updated. It was then quick to copy/paste my bonds data (from browser window) into my offline tracking spreadsheet. Easy peasy.

There was no need to save the updated *.HTML file as my monthly update had been saved in my spreadsheet.

New *.HTML required. The only reason I needed to save an updated *.HTML file was when I added new bonds (annual purchase, winning tax refund game).

So getting updated monthly values is relatively simple using the SBC.

On the other hand, getting the 1099INT when you sell bonds... that's a memory item, and uncle sugar says "I'm wrong if I forget". (I'd leave myself a reminder with my other tax stuff collected during the year, so I wouldn't forget. Just one of the reasons I decided my life would be better without savings bonds.)

* Forgot. Now recall the SBC was for paper savings bonds only. I still needed to login to TD to get my monthly updated values for electronic bonds. (Another reason I decided I could do better without savings bonds.)
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
nps

Post by nps »

dratkinson wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:59 pm * Forgot. Now recall the SBC was for paper savings bonds only. I still needed to login to TD to get my monthly updated values for electronic bonds. (Another reason I decided I could do better without savings bonds.)
It states that, but it works fine for electronic bonds too as long as you can construct them from paper equivalents. For example, you can enter a $10,000 electronic bond purchase as two $5,000 paper bond purchases.