U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
strummer6969

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by strummer6969 »

newyorker wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:42 pm We still have 20min to market closing. Cant relax yet.
I think we're safe. We can relax until next week. Let's hope no bad news over the 3 day weekend!
Third Son

Post by Third Son »

Crushing it.... 8-)
"A part of all you earn is yours to keep" | | -The Richest Man in Babylon
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

Third Son wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:04 pm Crushing it.... 8-)
I think I'm going to get my second comma back in net worth! (Still tentative, though, until I'm at 1.25M! And technically 25% higher than that to account for the future taxes on the 401k.)
Grogs

Post by Grogs »

exodusNH wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:39 pm
Grogs wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:28 pm
H-Town wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:11 pm
drk wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:00 pm
Triple digit golfer wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:46 am It's funny. S&P at 4,100 today and people are optimistic. S&P at 4,100 a month and people were panicking.
I'm annoyed because I was a week away from being able to TLH back into VTI. Does that help?
I'm 1 day away from being able to do a round-trip back to VTI.... but I'm not complaining.
Yeah, really a bummer. I mean, I'm happy to see markets go up, but I wish they could have waited. Today is the first day I can complete my VTSAX to VLCAX to VTSAX round trip. Last Friday, I had over $3500 in additional losses. Today it's down to under $500 and may even end the day with a gain. Do I even put in an order and risk a gain, or hold and risk being stuck in VLCAX forever?

This is also pay day, so I'll be buying one way or the other, I just wish it wasn't on a big up day at the end of a really big up week.
Since VLCAX has the VV ETF equivalent, you could monitor that and make the call at 3:58. While the price per share is different, the relative movement should basically be the same.
Yep, that's what I did, although at around 3:50. I don't trust VG servers not to crash in the last 5 minutes. It looks like I'll realize a small loss, but only about $350, or about 10% of what I had last Friday. I can always make another go if we drop again next week I guess.
bagastuff

Post by bagastuff »

We're pretty much exactly where we were at the end of the week of the last fomc mtg, where we had a big jump Wednesday and a huge slide into the end of the week, yet somehow it feels much better now. It's too bad payday was this week instead of the last, then again if paydays were shifted back by a week the difference would only be 2% over the last month.
drk

Post by drk »

Grogs wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:28 pm risk being stuck in VLCAX forever
I really don't think this is an issue. They've been basically the same fund.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
aragorn1

Post by aragorn1 »

Dr. Michael Burry:
US Personal Savings fell to 2013 levels, the savings rate to 2008 levels- while revolving credit card debt grew at a record-setting pace back to the pre-COVID peak despite all those $trillions of cash dropped in their laps. Looming: a consumer recession and more earnings trouble.
https://twitter.com/michaeljburry/statu ... SNz7wqAAAA

Will the positive momentum not last ? :confused
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

aragorn1 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:44 am Dr. Michael Burry:
US Personal Savings fell to 2013 levels, the savings rate to 2008 levels- while revolving credit card debt grew at a record-setting pace back to the pre-COVID peak despite all those $trillions of cash dropped in their laps. Looming: a consumer recession and more earnings trouble.

OMG, we are carrying <1% of our net worth on a 0% cc offer and we crashed the whole economy?!?
Grogs

Post by Grogs »

drk wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:04 pm
Grogs wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:28 pm risk being stuck in VLCAX forever
I really don't think this is an issue. They've been basically the same fund.
Fair enough, and that's why it's my TLH partner for VTSAX. I'll admit that it's mostly an OCD desire to keep a streamlined taxable account with only 1 fund.

Interestingly, I did get ~0.5 shares less VTSAX on the round trip, so it looks like I had about $50 in real losses or around 0.1%. I guess small-mid caps did slightly better during the 31 days I was in VLCAX.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

It does feel good to see the markets rally here and to see hints that perhaps inflation has peaked. Still, I don't want to get too excited as I have repeatedly see markets rally only to see them fall again. But at least we are out of bear market territory. I will take it.
A fool and his money are good for business.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

So I am up 6.4% from 1 year mark. HLAL Whats all the noise?
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

AA was 1% in favor of stocks; rebalancing not triggered. See you again in six months.
bagastuff

Post by bagastuff »

Keenobserver wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:25 am So I am up 6.4% from 1 year mark. HLAL Whats all the noise?
Your savings rate must be large in comparison to the size of your portfolio.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

bagastuff wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:45 pm
Keenobserver wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:25 am So I am up 6.4% from 1 year mark. HLAL Whats all the noise?
Your savings rate must be large in comparison to the size of your portfolio.
He said 1 year returns, not year-to-date. That's probably why.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

Yes sir 1 year returns specificaly. Down for YTD but who cares about such short term stats? I have not added since a few months because was saving cash for investment property. My point was, despite all the hoo ha and "the sky is falling" sentiment, I am actually up 6+ % for 1 year returns. Another 10% drop from here would put me at minus 4% for 1 year. Nothing to lose sleep over. 1 year is also short term so thats not saying much I suppose.
bagastuff

Post by bagastuff »

Isn't that still beating the market (VTI/bnd) by a healthy margin?
freyj6

Post by freyj6 »

Keenobserver wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:53 pm Yes sir 1 year returns specificaly. Down for YTD but who cares about such short term stats? I have not added since a few months because was saving cash for investment property. My point was, despite all the hoo ha and "the sky is falling" sentiment, I am actually up 6+ % for 1 year returns. Another 10% drop from here would put me at minus 4% for 1 year. Nothing to lose sleep over. 1 year is also short term so thats not saying much I suppose.
While I agree there’s been an overreaction, many people are heavily in assets that have lost *a lot* of value.

A lot of my friends are heavily into tech/growth stocks. A lot of that stuff is down 30-80%.

My ex started at Zillow when the stock was at 200. Now it’s at 40 or so.

[Cryptocurrency comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
ClassII

Post by ClassII »

freyj6 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:11 pm
Keenobserver wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:53 pm Yes sir 1 year returns specificaly. Down for YTD but who cares about such short term stats? I have not added since a few months because was saving cash for investment property. My point was, despite all the hoo ha and "the sky is falling" sentiment, I am actually up 6+ % for 1 year returns. Another 10% drop from here would put me at minus 4% for 1 year. Nothing to lose sleep over. 1 year is also short term so thats not saying much I suppose.
While I agree there’s been an overreaction, many people are heavily in assets that have lost *a lot* of value.

A lot of my friends are heavily into tech/growth stocks. A lot of that stuff is down 30-80%.

My ex started at Zillow when the stock was at 200. Now it’s at 40 or so.

Some other friends are in crypto. Bitcoin down 2/3 right now. Alt coins down way more.
I put a lot more faith in VOO or VGT bouncing back in a few years over Zillow or crypto.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

bagastuff wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:46 pm Isn't that still beating the market (VTI/bnd) by a healthy margin?
Yeah. They either have an allocation to energy or commodities in their portfolio, most likely.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

Beensabu wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:21 pm
bagastuff wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:46 pm Isn't that still beating the market (VTI/bnd) by a healthy margin?
Yeah. They either have an allocation to energy or commodities in their portfolio, most likely.
Yes and no Banks or other companies that are highly leveraged.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Keenobserver wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:52 pm
Good for you. Stick to the highly leveraged oil companies (and the commodities funds that are apparently the Fed's sole area of current consternation). My 20% allocation to VGENX has me way less in the red than I would be otherwise YTD -- if I'd gone full energy instead of hybrid, it would be green. And they thought I was crazy! 😜 They were probably right.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

Beensabu wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:04 pm
Good for you. Stick to the highly leveraged oil companies (and the commodities funds that are apparently the Fed's sole area of current consternation). My 20% allocation to VGENX has me way less in the red than I would be otherwise YTD -- if I'd gone full energy instead of hybrid, it would be green. And they thought I was crazy! 😜 They were probably right.
Here is the exact allocation
Technology
35.63%
Health Care
24.45%
Consumer Cyclical
9.40%
Energy
9.28%
Industrials
7.21%
Basic Material
5.54%
Consumer Defensive
5.19%
Real Estate
1.81%
Utilities
0.77%
Communication
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Keenobserver wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:40 pm
Beensabu wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:04 pm
Here is the exact allocation
Technology
35.63%
Health Care
24.45%
Consumer Cyclical
9.40%
Energy
9.28%
Industrials
7.21%
Basic Material
5.54%
Consumer Defensive
5.19%
Real Estate
1.81%
Utilities
0.77%
Communication
Tech and consumer cyclical are (or were, because who knows) your current pain points, and energy will be at some unknown point in the future (which is why I went with a hybrid fund for my "this is not approved" sector allocation). Healthcare is at a "plateau for now" for who knows how long. It's pretty maxed out though. Pain management is not a thing anymore, which does affect profits in that sector, because more customers choose to go bye-bye vs ineffectually attempting to pursue treatment.

Looks reasonable to me. A little surprised you're so low on utilities, but to each their own.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Please stay on-topic, which is the US market (increasing).

Individual portfolio allocations should be discussed in a new thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed some off-topic comments and a post discussing cryptocurrency as an investment. As a reminder, cryptocurrency as an investment is off-topic. See: Greater Fool Investing Strategies
Eventually, one runs out of greater fools. - Burton Malkiel

Discussions of investment strategies based on securities or physical assets that have no underlying value or negative expected long term returns are prohibited. Examples include: cryptocurrencies; lottery tickets; tulip bulbs; Ponzi, pyramid, and multi-level marketing schemes; affinity frauds; and market manipulation schemes.
And this post by the site owner: New Forum Policy Prohibiting Discussions of Cryptocurrency, Market Manipulation Schemes, etc as Investing Strategies
Note - This policy is limited to discussions of investing strategies. Discussions of cryptocurrencies in other contexts is still acceptable, for example for money transfers or microtransactions or the current thread on crypto trades and tax loss harvesting.

10/19/21 Edit: What about BITO, the new futures ETF?

This still falls under our prohibition. Our ban on crypto discussions is ultimately based on cryptocurrencies' lack of intrinsic value. While the ETF structure greatly reduces non-market risks, purchasing it is still a purely speculative gamble, not an investment.
Members may have crypto in their portfolio. The discussion may proceed as long as the strategy for managing crypto aligns with "Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle". For example, selling crypto to purchase stocks or bonds.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bagastuff

Post by bagastuff »

Bears out grabbing lunch...?
GP813

Post by GP813 »

sailaway wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:52 am
aragorn1 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:44 am Dr. Michael Burry:

OMG, we are carrying <1% of our net worth on a 0% cc offer and we crashed the whole economy?!?
Yeah my household keeps getting 0% APR offers that give us bonuses on top of that to makeup for any transfer fees. I pay everything I can on the credit card to get rewards points or cashback. I always wondered if these revolving credit stats account for 0% introductory offers.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Looking like a soaring morning so far. :mrgreen:
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

I just hope the tech route is over. The individual tech names I do own are all best in class and I hate seeing them down 20-25% this year and getting dragged down with unprofitable companies.
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

Oh well, new month but appears to be more of the same
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

It doesn't seem right to start my morning without a chorus of "Our portfolios are crashing and we are all going to die". Some how I always found that comforting because it seems unlikely the end will be that obvious.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
elderwise

Post by elderwise »

To the bear moon 8-) :twisted:

Whelp the pump barely lasted 10 minutes
drk

Post by drk »

TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:21 am It doesn't seem right to start my morning without a chorus of "Our portfolios are crashing and we are all going to die". Some how I always found that comforting because it seems unlikely the end will be that obvious.
Help! Our portfolios are crashing, and we are all going to die!

HTH
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
bagastuff

Post by bagastuff »

VTI currently soaring like a falcon that just scooped up a salmon off the top of a lake
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

elderwise wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:27 am To the bear moon 8-) :twisted:

Whelp the pump barely lasted 10 minutes
methinks thou dost protest too much
This time is the same
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

drk wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:19 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:21 am It doesn't seem right to start my morning without a chorus of "Our portfolios are crashing and we are all going to die". Some how I always found that comforting because it seems unlikely the end will be that obvious.
Help! Our portfolios are crashing, and we are all going to die!

HTH
Now things feel normal.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

So far not the best day for bargain hunting.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:15 am So far not the best day for bargain hunting.
nor for those who bought triple inverse qqq :wink:
Time is the ultimate currency.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:15 am So far not the best day for bargain hunting.
Didn't I mention? DH is making his last MBR contribution tomorrow. I consider it highly likely that we will soar this week.
RXfiles

Post by RXfiles »

Big green day before my 401k deposits every time.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

RXfiles wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:54 am Big green day before my 401k deposits every time.
Check to see if your employer will make daily deposits into your 401k.

That will guarantee that the market will go up every day. :twisted:
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
elderwise

Post by elderwise »

H-Town wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:25 am
I play both sides. Larger holding is 3x faang+ FNGu

Minor holding is FNGd 3x Bear ETN for faang+

You never know which side wins 🏆 till you cash out the gains tax free .
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

elderwise wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:53 am

Can you share the math how it works out? In my mind, for every dollar gain in a long fund, you will have a dollar loss in short position.
Time is the ultimate currency.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

H-Town wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:55 am

Can you share the math how it works out? In my mind, for every dollar gain in a long fund, you will have a dollar loss in short position.
This doesn't make sense to me, either. When you factor in volatility decay and expenses, I don't see how this can be a bet positive.
elderwise

Post by elderwise »

H-Town wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:55 am

I am no expert neither do I claim to be one

Lately swing trades have been treating good its good till it don't work no more.

On consecutive solid 3% green nasdaq days you buy FNGD which is 3x bear etn ok? I risk small $ ...5 10 20 30 shares as its inverse ..flip on those days you have RBDs back to back..since mid March we have been seeing those a lot lately. FnGD has gone ATH to 98 if you got at 50 60 sold at 90+ or even 80 its good profit tax free as Its ETN

Ofcourse long term stocks go up so FNGU so I keep a bigger holding ..and will also flip that at decent gains though I am not worried to exit that position..as it's net long.

ER is high but who cares? I am not talking about risking 500K or 1mm in these swing trades..smaller chunk smaller risk

Shorting without actually shorting.
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

What triggered today's soaring? The bad jobs report? Dead cat bounce?
elderwise

Post by elderwise »

atdharris wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:10 pm What triggered today's soaring? The bad jobs report? Dead cat bounce?
Your getting a chance to buy inverse nasdaq funds like sqqq and fngd at a discount what more can I say :twisted: :moneybag

I actually have 10 sh limit for 55 54 for fngd.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

atdharris wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:10 pm What triggered today's soaring? The bad jobs report? Dead cat bounce?
The Factory Orders MoM APR report was bad. The Fed might not hike as much.
elderwise

Post by elderwise »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:17 pm
The Factory Orders MoM APR report was bad. The Fed might not hike as much.
To counter that read this.

Fed’s Brainard says she doesn’t support a ‘pause’ in interest-rate hikes in September

How do they match up 🤔
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

elderwise wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:19 pm To counter that read this.

Fed’s Brainard says she doesn’t support a ‘pause’ in interest-rate hikes in September

How do they match up 🤔
They don't match up because I was joking :D