Do u always ask for and review receipts for credit card purchases?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
GerryL

Re: Do u always ask for and review receipts for credit card purchases?

Post by GerryL »

nordsteve wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:41 pm At restos...(some call them "restaurants"), we make a point of recording the tip and taking the receipt as a contemporaneous record. Dishonest servers are more likely to bump up the tip if you don't have a record.
Unless you go to a resto in France. There your card never leaves your sight. They bring the card reader to the table. The French would not put up with having a "bank card" taken away to be scanned where they can't see it.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

island wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:57 pm Server or seller standing there with the device in a resto or at farmers market, etc and feel pressure to complete the transaction quickly as possible. Do you always take your time reviewing, and ask for receipts, big or small?
When I am standing at the register to pay, I always have to pay first and then get the receipt. So it's not feasible to check all the transactions for accuracy before paying. I do have a general idea of the cost [say within $50]. If it's outside that, I ask for details why. Once at Staples, they charged me for the used toner that I was returning to recycle! That was a $200 difference!
island wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:57 pm What if it was a big restaurant charge with many diners and items on the bill that takes longer to review? How do you handle that particular situation? Does the server continue to stand there waiting?
At sit-down restaurants, the server always drops off the bill in a folder and then returns later. I do review the bill. On rare occasions, I find a mistake. When I add in the tip, I always make the total come out to an even number of dollars, e.g. $42.00.
Then when I review the monthly summary or email, I have a pretty good assurance that an even dollar amount is indeed my charge.

I do think it is important to review the monthly credit card bill.
Once a hotel restaurant charged more than what was on the receipt. Having the receipt meant there was no argument.
At a NYC hotel in 2019, someone signed for their restaurant charge with my room number. The hotel had to dig out their receipt.
About 15 years ago, someone in Bogota, Colombia tried to charge Lan Chile airline tickets to my credit card. Chase cancelled my card and issued a new one.
dbr

Post by dbr »

I set alerts for all cc transactions. Online transactions get emailed receipts 100%. Trivial purchases in shops no.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

I always check my receis at restos.
Being wrong compounds forever.
CenTexan

Post by CenTexan »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:39 am I always check my receis at restos.
geniu!
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

I feel it's much more authoritative to glance at the text message I receive after each credit card transaction, which includes the transaction amount. Once I pointed out an order-of-magnitude error on a restaurant receipt in a fraction of a second because I saw the error in the txt before the server handed me the receipt
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Marylander1 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:18 am I feel it's much more authoritative to glance at the text message I receive after each credit card transaction, which includes the transaction amount. Once I pointed out an order-of-magnitude error on a restaurant receipt in a fraction of a second because I saw the error in the txt before the server handed me the receipt
The paper receipt can be helpful for after the fact disputes (or returns!).
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

GerryL wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:56 pm
samsoes wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:35 pm
island wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:32 pm
simplextableau wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:02 pm I'd rather be overcharged than forced to use the term "resto" :twisted:
On topic, no one should ever feel bad for taking the time to review a receipt.
Haha don't worry, no one is forcing u. It's an abbrev, as is abbrev and you don't have to use that either. :-D
Thanks.
But what does "resto" mean? What's it an abbreviation for? A shop that sells a type of pesto? A convenience store at a rest area on a highway?
"Resto" is very French. They love shortening words like "restaurant." McDonald's is "McDo(e)." Aperitif is "apero." Adolescent is "ado(e)," which can sound like "adulte" when spoken quickly.
Yeah that's a real word but seems to originate in French. There's a Belgian restaurant in NY called Resto. The other thing it suggests though is restomod car (reproduction/restoration of an old car or model including modern tech) and apparently that is what 'resto' means in Australia.

In a table service 'resto' I don't see how you can avoid reviewing the CC receipt, to calculate and enter the tip, including seeing if they already put something in for gratuity. Sometimes it's on a device display now rather than paper. I don't need to take a piece of paper with me. There are personal variations how closely to review restaurant bills, my wife likes to do that more than I do. Otherwise I take a receipt with me after a purchase if there's a product warranty, I need it to put sub items into different categories in my spending tracking or a return is at all likely. Otherwise it's a waste and if asked whether I need one I'll say no.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

dollar_elbow wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:18 pm
island wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:10 pm
livesoft wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:59 pm I do not always get receipts. I do notice though if something is later amiss. It is easy for me because I can go days without buying anything, so even though I do not use cash I do not have many charges on a credit card statement. Furthermore, I use self-checkout for almost everything, so that another person rarely touches my card.
Thanks for your reply.
I can go days without buying anything too, but many places do no have self check out like at farmers market, food stalls at an outdoor art or music festival. How do you resolve later if no receipt?
I turn on alerts for all my credit cards so I get an email immediately on any purchase. I rarely look at receipts; I just glance at the alert to make sure it looks okay. This seems safer to me since it is my bank telling me what was charged (versus what the receipt claims).
This works well.
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

Pretty soon you're going to need a glossary to follow Bogleheads, like A Clockwork Orange.

Oh, wait, that's already true 😂😂
TeamArgo

Post by TeamArgo »

I ask for a receipt and review it for every transaction. They sit next to my "computer nest" until I see the receipt go live with the credit card company, and then it is filed if it might ever be returnable, or discarded in most instances.
I uncover a mistake about two times a year, usually in the form of a tip being left off when the charge is submitted to the card company. When that happens at a location where I know and remember the server, I will offer to cover it during my next visit. In the past seven years I have also seen two instances of a server padding the tip by a few to several dollars.
So, nothing too bad and nothing that would break me, but by checking on it I know where I stand.
“Love with your heart; Use your brain for everything else.” -Captain Disillusion
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Sometimes.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

Yes I always get the receipts.

I also manually enter the transaction in Quicken so if the numbers do not match the online balance I would pick up on it.

If for some reason I don’t get a receipt, I just check the cc app before leaving the store.
Mid-40’s
crinkles2

Post by crinkles2 »

For important stuff - yes, of course. Like fuel. In case the fuel is bad and damages my car. Or I get accused of not paying.

For a loaf of bread on Sunday morning from the corner bakery? No!
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Not usually with small purchases. Maybe if > $100 I would ask for a receipt. Then after quickly checking, I usually pitch the receipt.
Light weight baby!
557880yvi

Post by 557880yvi »

I am a CPA and will tell everyone, without hesitation, to ALWAYS ask for a paper receipt and verify before leaving (or email - but stand there and open in your email before leaving the point of sale to verify AND take a picture with your phone of either the device, including any taxes/tips or if a paper receipt, write in any tip and take a picture side-by-side of both. I also write in (like a check) the tip amount - "Fifteen Dollars and no cents". NEVER leave without a printed, dated, fully complete receipt with vendor name. ESPECIALLY a rental car receipt!

You would not believe how many times amounts are different (99.9% of the time higher) on personal purchases or business purchases. A little harder on a large receipt like a grocery bill but as I shop, I remember most of the prices and sale prices (I take a picture of the sign or barcode on shelf of sale prices to show at register). Quickly scan receipt before leaving checkout. I have been overcharged numerous times for duplicate items, wrong weights, wrong prices, wrong item. For me personally, verifying all charges has saved thousands of dollars in recent years.

AND - DON'T EVER EVER give your credit or debit card to anyone and let them walk away with it (frequent in restaurants, repair shops, gas stations). Just say "I don't let my card go and need to go with you and watch the transaction. Do not hand it to them to swipe (and do it yourself if possible) until the last second - a photo of the front and back of a credit card can be sold on the black market in seconds). And do not let them turn it over to see the CVV code on the back. If they say their insurance does not let anyone go to where the cc terminal is located, tell them that this is not true (I was a commercial underwriter at one of the largest insurers in the US and worked in insurance for many years, with restaurants, auto repair shops and gas stations galore - no commercial insurance policy prohibits patrons from any part of the business - there is not clause to this effect, it is a lie to keep you from observing transactions). SIMPLY - NEVER LET A CC OR Debit Card out of you hand/sight.

Another scam - a take on the skimmers at gas stations - is that most gas station CC transactions require the card to be held and pushed into the reader so that the front and back are left to right (as opposed to you pushing a card facing up into the chip reader or swiping face up). Extremely small, wireless blue-tooth cameras can be installed to the left and right of the pump and can take a photo of the front and back of your card, then used or sold. Always cover the back/front with your hand when you slide in.

I check my credit card transactions at least once a week (and daily if travelling) and reconcile the statement against the actual receipts. Instantly dispute any transaction that does not look right or legitimate. AND - most credit cards will let you set a notice up for any transaction over $X.XX amount - text or email notification. Mine is set at $1.00 - if you charge a lot that may be annoying to get notices but it's seconds to check on phone. It can take hours, days or months to get an incorrect charge fixed (if you ever do).
Last edited by 557880yvi on Sun May 29, 2022 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
557880yvi

Post by 557880yvi »

I am a CPA and will tell everyone, without hesitation, to ALWAYS ask for a paper receipt and verify before leaving (or email - but stand there and open in your email before leaving the point of sale to verify AND take a picture with your phone of either the device, including any taxes/tips or if a paper receipt, write in any tip and take a picture side-by-side of both. I also write in (like a check) the tip amount - "Fifteen Dollars and no cents". NEVER leave without a printed, dated, fully complete receipt with vendor name. ESPECIALLY a rental car receipt!

You would not believe how many times amounts are different (99.9% of the time higher) on personal purchases or business purchases. A little harder on a large receipt like a grocery bill but as I shop, I remember most of the prices and sale prices (I take a picture of the sign or barcode on shelf of sale prices to show at register). Quickly scan receipt before leaving checkout. I have been overcharged numerous times for duplicate items, wrong weights, wrong prices, wrong item. For me personally, verifying all charges has saved thousands of dollars in recent years.

AND - DON'T EVER EVER give your credit or debit card to anyone and let them walk away with it (frequent in restaurants, repair shops, gas stations). Just say "I don't let my card go and need to go with you and watch the transaction. Do not hand it to them to swipe (and do it yourself if possible) until the last second - a photo of the front and back of a credit card can be sold on the black market in seconds). And do not let them turn it over to see the CVV code on the back. If they say their insurance does not let anyone go to where the cc terminal is located, tell them that this is not true (I was a commercial underwriter at one of the largest insurers in the US and worked in insurance for many years, with restaurants, auto repair shops and gas stations galore - no commercial insurance policy prohibits patrons from any part of the business - there is not clause to this effect, it is a lie to keep you from observing transactions). SIMPLY - NEVER LET A CC OR Debit Card out of you hand/sight.

Another scam - a take on the skimmers at gas stations - is that most gas station CC transactions require the card to be held and pushed into the reader so that the front and back are left to right (as opposed to you pushing a card facing up into the chip reader or swiping face up). Extremely small, wireless blue-tooth cameras can be installed to the left and right of the pump and can take a photo of the front and back of your card, then used or sold. Always cover the back/front with your hand when you slide in.

I check my credit card transactions at least once a week (and daily if travelling) and reconcile the statement against the actual receipts. Instantly dispute any transaction that does not look right or legitimate. AND - most credit cards will let you set a notice up for any transaction over $X.XX amount - text or email notification. Mine is set at $1.00 - if you charge a lot that may be annoying to get notices but it's seconds to check on phone. It can take hours, days or months to get an incorrect charge fixed (if you ever do).

For those who plan to respond that these measures are overkill, it doesn't happen that often and it takes too much time.... I can assure you that both personally and professionally, the brief suggestions above over the course of 10 years will take less time than fixing mistakes/intentional overcharges. Just get in the habit, like brushing your teeth every day - you won't even notice the time it takes.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Wow!

My simple life is already far too complicated.
But different strokes for different folks.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

557880yvi wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:01 pm I am a CPA and will tell everyone, without hesitation, to ALWAYS ask for a paper receipt and verify before leaving (or email - but stand there and open in your email before leaving the point of sale to verify AND take a picture with your phone of either the device, including any taxes/tips or if a paper receipt, write in any tip and take a picture side-by-side of both. I also write in (like a check) the tip amount - "Fifteen Dollars and no cents". NEVER leave without a printed, dated, fully complete receipt with vendor name. ESPECIALLY a rental car receipt!

Nope. Way too lazy.

Where is your primary spend such that you can save thousands of dollars due to correcting incorrect bills?

Broken Man 1999

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Broken Man 1999

557880yvi wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:01 pm I am a CPA and will tell everyone, without hesitation, to ALWAYS ask for a paper receipt and verify before leaving (or email - but stand there and open in your email before leaving the point of sale to verify AND take a picture with your phone of either the device, including any taxes/tips or if a paper receipt, write in any tip and take a picture side-by-side of both. I also write in (like a check) the tip amount - "Fifteen Dollars and no cents". NEVER leave without a printed, dated, fully complete receipt with vendor name. ESPECIALLY a rental car receipt!

Nope. Way too lazy.

Where is your primary spend such that you can save thousands of dollars due to correcting incorrect bills?

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
557880yvi

Post by 557880yvi »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:15 pm
Nope. Way too lazy.

Broken Man 1999
We charge virtually every expense to our credit card - often $60-&75k/yr and sometimes more depending on travel (except when the fees exceed the unlimited cash back % on all transactions - no exclusions, grandfathered in to a good deal). Good examples in recent years were a car rental that was over $1k more than the contract (common issue at airports where it can be challenging to review the final bill before turning in the vehicle/keys but we won't do it until we get a final copy). Car dealer billed almost twice what estimate was for tires and never applied a coupon, that was more than $400. A restaurant added drinks and appetizers we never ordered nor received, constantly find items at grocery story double-scanned or price does not come up as sale price or even the price listed (in the good old days you would get the item free if that happened!) Got charged for expensive funeral flowers that were never delivered - it was by zoom and was able to prove from the saved video that the flowers were not there. Got duplicate charges a number of times for streaming services (2 charges in one month twice so 14 mos of charges when it should have been 12). Had medical bills charged twice, have had many instances of sales tax charged on non-taxable items, bought a case of coffee with 24 pound packages, the clerk could not do math and entered 36 1 lb packages and at nearly $10/1lb package that's not a small error (and if I got home and found the error say when the statement came in the next month, you really think the coffee shop is going to believe me?) the list goes on and on.

This really does not take much time at all - and think many would be quite surprised at how many errors there are. Might be interesting for folks to track things how i suggest for 3-6 mos and see if they do catch some errors!
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

I request and look at all receipts. The original purpose of the cash register was to make sure employees were honest and not just pocketing cash.

I had one receipt in 2019 where I was charged 18% service charge for a group of six people. I declined to tip more as the service was mediocre. I lined out the tip and paid it. However, the billed was 18% higher as someone added the tip in again.

Prior to the use of self checkouts, I would review grocery bills to find where I did not receive a digital coupon. I would find several errors a month. Nowadays, I catch that immediately and take care of it now.

I think that scanning my credit card statement takes about one minute a month and the follow up of any issues maybe five minutes.

==========================

Do realize that for US transactions on a CREDIT card, you can dispute any fraudulent charges and your exposure for fraudulent transactions is minimal if reported in 60 days or less.
smectym

Post by smectym »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:23 pm
MikeWillRetire wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:06 pm Only in restaurants.
Same here.

Used to review all credit card receipts. What a waste of my time.
My dad thought it was “bad form” to scrutinize a restaurant tab, call over the waiter, haggle about a discrepancy and so forth. “Just pay the bill. If you think they’re cheating you, don’t come back. If it was an honest mistake, you probably benefited from an honest mistake in the other direction the last time.” Debatable, but something to be said for that approach. In general, I tend to follow it, but if another member of the party at a restaurant is interested in reviewing the bill I have no objection—and I notice that, frequently, they DO spot something, and we get a revised and reduced bill.
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

557880yvi wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:44 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:15 pm
Nope. Way too lazy.

Broken Man 1999
We charge virtually every expense to our credit card - often $60-&75k/yr and sometimes more depending on travel (except when the fees exceed the unlimited cash back % on all transactions - no exclusions, grandfathered in to a good deal). Good examples in recent years were a car rental that was over $1k more than the contract (common issue at airports where it can be challenging to review the final bill before turning in the vehicle/keys but we won't do it until we get a final copy). Car dealer billed almost twice what estimate was for tires and never applied a coupon, that was more than $400. A restaurant added drinks and appetizers we never ordered nor received, constantly find items at grocery story double-scanned or price does not come up as sale price or even the price listed (in the good old days you would get the item free if that happened!) Got charged for expensive funeral flowers that were never delivered - it was by zoom and was able to prove from the saved video that the flowers were not there. Got duplicate charges a number of times for streaming services (2 charges in one month twice so 14 mos of charges when it should have been 12). Had medical bills charged twice, have had many instances of sales tax charged on non-taxable items, bought a case of coffee with 24 pound packages, the clerk could not do math and entered 36 1 lb packages and at nearly $10/1lb package that's not a small error (and if I got home and found the error say when the statement came in the next month, you really think the coffee shop is going to believe me?) the list goes on and on.

This really does not take much time at all - and think many would be quite surprised at how many errors there are. Might be interesting for folks to track things how i suggest for 3-6 mos and see if they do catch some errors!
Most of these examples have little to do with paying by credit card. What you are saying is that you were mischarged. The method of payment seems irrelevant since it would have been wrong if you used cash. What I hear you saying is to always check your receipt to ensure that it is correct--whether you pay by cash or card.
"People sometimes fail to live because they are always preparing to live." - Alan Watts
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Not for small amounts under $50. I’ll scan quickly over $50/$100.
I like the palindrome idea!
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Thanks all, I just got over a 3rd entree put on my bill from 8 months ago. Brand new restaurant, new waiter, asked me to substitute my order for another dish. You don't get a bill, just give the cashier your name. Out comes the Square reader, card scanned, would you like a receipt sent to your email, yea sure. Card company sends me an alert, but I am 50 miles away. Check my email, yikes got charged for the the dish that I made a substitution for. Luckily it was only a $8 mistake, and now I will remember it for a least another 8 months. :beer
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I do, but I think it's because I generally have very few transactions and I always buy from the same places. I've sort of given up on reviewing my husband's bills to the same degree that I do mine, so I just check his for large or potentially suspicious transactions.

The thing that I'm looking for (fraud) I don't really need receipts for, and the thing that I'm concerned about (the wrong amount on a bill compared to a receipt) has rarely happened.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

This might be a good philosophy question:

1. If there’s an error in a receipt but we don’t look at it, does it make a sound?

2. Which came first, the not looking or the errors?

3. If more people don’t look at receipts because they trust establishments to do the right thing, are they emboldening establishments to do the wrong thing?

4. Free rider problem? Are those of us who check making the world safer for those who don’t?

5. Is the message intended to be sent by the non-checker (I have faith in you, checking isn’t worth my attention) the same one received by the establishment? (They have so much money they don’t even care to check, or they are bad at math).
Broken Man 1999

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:23 pm This might be a good philosophy question:

1. If there’s an error in a receipt but we don’t look at it, does it make a sound?

2. Which came first, the not looking or the errors?

3. If more people don’t look at receipts because they trust establishments to do the right thing, are they emboldening establishments to do the wrong thing?

4. Free rider problem? Are those of us who check making the world safer for those who don’t?

5. Is the message intended to be sent by the non-checker (I have faith in you, checking isn’t worth my attention) the same one received by the establishment? (They have so much money they don’t even care to check, or they are bad at math).
I don't think anyone is advocating not looking at a receipt, it is just many people do not keep it after examination. Fortunately I am still able to remember things long enough to get home, look at an email and chuck the receipt, with a few exceptions.

Broken Man 1999
557880yvi

Post by 557880yvi »

Interesting to read the different points of view! It may be life experiences that inform our behaviors. I grew up the oldest in a large family, left at 16 and put myself through undergrad and later grad school. Every penny truly mattered, and this has stayed with me my entire life. Could afford to be overcharged but emotionally have to fix it! .
557880yvi

Post by 557880yvi »

Just an update to this thread.

On the way to our first concert since the pandemic started and me and my husband stopped for an early dinner at a restaurant (small chain, 4 New England locations). Along with the regular menu was a daily specials menu of food and drinks. Decent prices so we ordered off this menu. All the prices were even numbers - such as $10 for a drink, $20 or $30 for a dinner, etc. so easy to estimate total. Went to register with server to pay (remember, I never let my cc out of my hands!)

Bill came out significantly higher that anticipated even with tax figured in. Looked at receipt to see if this was wrong customer's bill or if items were on it we did not order. No, all the prices were higher than on the day's specialty menu and compounded by higher state and local meals taxes on the higher bill! I asked for the day's specialty menu - showed the server the menu, prices and the receipt. They said - as if this was normal - Oh yeah, those are our old prices - all of our prices now are higher than our menus because of the pandemic shortages. :annoyed :beer No notice, signage or explanation before ordering. I told that server than in our state, the published prices are the prices and the bill needed to be corrected. Said it could not be done. said oh yes it could and if they and/or the manager didn't fix it immediately, I was calling the Atty General's office and reporting them then writing a review on Trip Advisor. All of a sudden the server was able to fix the bill to the menu prices.

This is why I look at every receipt....
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

This morning, I took a look at my major credit card. I wanted to make sure that one of the hotels submitted the proper credits and that a theatre refunded my four tickets for shows that were canceled last week.

When I got to the website, I noticed a $77 charge for DSW. Neither my wife or I had been shoe shopping so we went ahead and disputed the charge. After that was done, I received yet another charge. By the time that I contacted the fraud department, there were a total of four $77 charges. We canceled the card immediately.

You have to watch your charges.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I always ask for and review the receipts for my credit card purchases. Too many things can go wrong.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

557880yvi wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:00 pm Just an update to this thread.

On the way to our first concert since the pandemic started and me and my husband stopped for an early dinner at a restaurant (small chain, 4 New England locations). Along with the regular menu was a daily specials menu of food and drinks. Decent prices so we ordered off this menu. All the prices were even numbers - such as $10 for a drink, $20 or $30 for a dinner, etc. so easy to estimate total. Went to register with server to pay (remember, I never let my cc out of my hands!)

Bill came out significantly higher that anticipated even with tax figured in. Looked at receipt to see if this was wrong customer's bill or if items were on it we did not order. No, all the prices were higher than on the day's specialty menu and compounded by higher state and local meals taxes on the higher bill! I asked for the day's specialty menu - showed the server the menu, prices and the receipt. They said - as if this was normal - Oh yeah, those are our old prices - all of our prices now are higher than our menus because of the pandemic shortages. :annoyed :beer No notice, signage or explanation before ordering. I told that server than in our state, the published prices are the prices and the bill needed to be corrected. Said it could not be done. said oh yes it could and if they and/or the manager didn't fix it immediately, I was calling the Atty General's office and reporting them then writing a review on Trip Advisor. All of a sudden the server was able to fix the bill to the menu prices.

I'm confused. You didn't look at your bill from the server until after it had been charged to your credit card?

If so, that doesn't seem like a credit card issue at all.
557880yvi

Post by 557880yvi »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:29 am

I'm confused. You didn't look at your bill from the server until after it had been charged to your credit card?

They print out the bill from the terminal and leave on your table- most people just hand them their CC to take away and process - then bring it back, you add tip and leave then they process again with tip. It IS a CC issue because if I had done that and not reviewed the bill before the CC was run (and before add in the tip) it would have been charged the wrong amount.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

mega317 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:54 pm
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:52 pm I don't tip at Home Depot.
That’s why it’s hard to end up with a palindrome.
Hah
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

557880yvi wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:31 am
Doom&Gloom wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:29 am

They print out the bill from the terminal and leave on your table- most people just hand them their CC to take away and process - then bring it back, you add tip and leave then they process again with tip. It IS a CC issue because if I had done that and not reviewed the bill before the CC was run (and before add in the tip) it would have been charged the wrong amount.
I'm not sure that is the case. DW is one of the least frugal people I know but the two things she scrutinizes like a CPA are gas prices and a restaurant check when it is placed on the table. I have never handed over my credit card with the check without at least giving it a cursory glance. We occasionally find errors which the servers, so far, are always happy to correct.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Yes, I do. And once every week or two I manually enter the purchases into my old, non internet connected version of Quicken.

I use a modification of the palindrome method - I make the tip so that the total after tip ends in either 00 cents or 50 cents. This serves two purposes:
1. It makes it easier to spot if an amount was entered incorrectly by making it obvious.
2. It makes it quicker for me to enter into Quicken

While I am likely to continue to manually enter my transactions into quicken, I would like to implement a reliable method of receiving, processing and storing receipts electronically. I have both an environmental and health concern about always taking a receipt. The poster above whose wife is concerned about the health impact of handling receipt may be concerned about the issue detailed in this article: https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/healt ... r-receipts

Currently, taking the paper receipt is a physical reminder /to do of which receipts I have entered and which I have not (once entered, it is put in an envelope per categories below), and it has interestingly prompted questions from younger people about why I always take a receipt, which leads to a discussion on budgeting, and that you can't budget if you don't know what you are spending your money on...

The method of receiving, processing and storing electronic receipts would need to
- ensure I electronically receive EVERY credit card receipt (can't get some electronically and some via paper)
- put all the received electronic receipts in one place (can I write a rule in google to do this?)
- let me easily identify those I have entered from those I have not yet entered (I suppose moving them from one folder or in google, one tag to another tag would be sufficient)
- then let me somehow separate those I have entered into categories of Disposable, and store the receipts locally for the following categories: Keep for HSA documentation, Keep for Warranty documentation, Keep for real estate basis calculation documentation. (downloading, naming and saving each electronic receipt in the proper category seems like alot more work than just stuffing it in the proper envelope, but I'm hoping I will learn something from the BHs)
Trism

Post by Trism »

island wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:57 pm
some family members tend to be lax at asking for a receipt (by print, text or email) if not automatically given one. And apparently don't always check the bill shown on the device before paying.
Assuming you are okay paying for every charge for everyone to whom you've given a credit card, have each family member "reimburse" you with the receipts.

For any transactions that are missing receipts, they reimburse you with their own money.

Introducing accountability solves a lot of problems.