Golf Launch Monitor

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NewInvestor328

Golf Launch Monitor

Post by NewInvestor328 »

Hi All,

I searched the site but did not see a topic on this. Does anyone use a personal launch monitor for their golf game? I am thinking the portable ones you can bring to the range or on the course with you rather than the larger at home trackman systems (think under $600). I've seen good reviews for the Garmin R10 and Swing Caddie, but have never used one. Does anyone have any personal experience with a portable launch monitor that they would recommend? Thank you all.
rosalee

Re: Golf Launch Monitor

Post by rosalee »

I don't have one. But if i were shopping i would first consider PRGR monitor. Cost, size and results all seem 'best'.
Check Amazon, some golf forum websites, etc. for opinions.
Svensk Anga

Post by Svensk Anga »

I've had a Mevo (basic one, not the plus) for a couple months. It seems to work well enough, but I have not compared it to a high end monitor to be sure. It does need your phone or a tablet to display results. A unit with built in display might be a bit more convenient at the range, but maybe harder to analyze results later. It works with my Android phone and with my Ipad.

My yardages seemed low. I found a tip online that this is a common complaint and the fix is to fudge the elevation setting until distances look right. My range is at 150' or so above sea level, but I have the Mevo set for 2000'. It measures the initial ball speed, spin and launch angle and estimates distance from that. The calculation looks about right if I fudge the air density to that of 2000' up.

You might check reviews and comments on Mygolfspy.com. https://mygolfspy.com/best-personal-lau ... itor-2021/
J295

Post by J295 »

Search or post at golfwrx
spy587

Post by spy587 »

I've been itching to pull the trigger on this.

Garmin R10 seems like the best tech at the ~$500 price point (and that price point seems like the sweet spot for quality / value). That's what I'll buy if I pull the trigger.
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

I have had a Skytrak for several years, which I use indoors almost daily. It reportedly does not always work well outdoors, as lighting conditions are said to affect it.

You might consider perusal of this forum, which addresses most simulator brands and models: https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum/go ... -and-types
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

I have the PRGR, and I've also owned the Rapsodo, which I sold because I like the PRGR better. It gives very accurate club and ball speeds and is the easiest thing ever to use (distance is an estimate, not a reading). There are slightly more expensive devices out there, but I don't think you'll get accurate ball speed/launch/spin/carry until you spend more in the $2k range. The Rapsodo is pretty good with launch angle but it's more annoying to use and would often overheat for me in the sun, so I've enjoyed the PRGR the best. There is a new and old version of the PRGR and the new version is better at reading wedge shots.
rosalee

Post by rosalee »

If i were shopping, would also consider RYPSTICK devices and training videos. Suggest google that and view the training video.