Vanguard security codes via Google Voice

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
OuterBanks

Re: Vanguard security codes via Google Voice

Post by OuterBanks »

I just discovered that if you request the code via phone call instead of text it works again with Google Voice. Just make sure you have “Incoming Call Options” checked under your Google Voice settings so that you can receive the call.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

OuterBanks wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:58 am I just discovered that if you request the code via phone call instead of text it works again with Google Voice. Just make sure you have “Incoming Call Options” checked under your Google Voice settings so that you can receive the call.
Thanks. Tried it, doesn't work for me. Maybe I have your instructions wrong. Perhaps you would explain the steps in detail?

BTW, it continues to work fine for my BOA verification and other GV calls. All popup on my desktop. Not so Vanguard. I'm convinced its a Vanguard flub.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

TravelGeek wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:29 am
mtwhmemn wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:21 am Just curious why you use your GV number for 2fa? Security better than AT&T, Verizon, etc???
The basic idea is that Google Voice or other VOIP solutions are not susceptible to SIM swap attacks.
But VOIP moves the traffic over the internet via a TCP/IP connection and may be susceptible to other types of attacks.

Sprint offers account passwords for phone and in-person interactions and sends an SMS 2FA code to the phone before implementing a phone number port or sim swap. This won't protect against inside jobs where an employee is bribed to do the phone number port, which apparently has happened with some of these attacks. A VOIP solution would also be exposed to an inside job attack, though internal controls at Google may be more robust than at some telecom vendors.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

Northern Flicker wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:12 pm
mtwhmemn wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:21 am Just curious why you use your GV number for 2fa? Security better than AT&T, Verizon, etc???
The basic idea is that Google Voice or other VOIP solutions are not susceptible to SIM swap attacks.
But VOIP moves the traffic over the internet via a TCP/IP connection and may be susceptible to other types of attacks.

Sprint offers account passwords for phone and in-person interactions and sends an SMS 2FA code to the phone before implementing a phone number port or sim swap. This won't protect against inside jobs where an employee is bribed to do the phone number port, which apparently has happened with some of these attacks. A VOIP solution would also be exposed to an inside job attack, though internal controls at Google may be more robust than at some telecom vendors.
Inside jobs where an employee is bribed to do the phone number port or social engineering is exactly how the SIM swap attacks happen. T Mobile also offers account passwords but that does not protect against indeed jobs and social engineering.
absolute zero

Post by absolute zero »

Not to divert this discussion, but does anyone else here find the google voice app to be the clunkiest app on their phone? I have an iPhone, and maybe this is just the case with the iOS version but it’s super slow. It also looks as if they designed the app in 2014 and haven’t touched it or updated it since.
Northern Flicker

palanzo wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:41 pm

Inside jobs where an employee is bribed to do the phone number port or social engineering is exactly how the SIM swap attacks happen. T Mobile also offers account passwords but that does not protect against indeed jobs and social engineering.
Social engineering and inside jobs are two different things. Controls like phone-call passwords and sending an SMS code to the phone before implementing a phone number port or sim swap can protect against social engineering, but intentionally defeating internal controls during an inside job would only be prevented by more robust internal controls.
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

Northern Flicker wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:12 pm But VOIP moves the traffic over the internet via a TCP/IP connection and may be susceptible to other types of attacks.
The telephone networks are all packet switched now, and frequently run on the same trunks as your internet traffic. As far as I'm aware, there are no more circuit-switched backbone PTSN systems in use. This is one of the reasons I find the frequent lack of VOIP support in services so maddening.
Last edited by kevinf on Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

Northern Flicker wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:50 pm
palanzo wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:41 pm

Social engineering and inside jobs are two different things. Controls like phone-call passwords and sending an SMS code to the phone before implementing a phone number port or sim swap can protect against social engineering, but intentionally defeating internal controls during an inside job would only be prevented by more robust internal controls.
I'm well aware that they are are two different things.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

kevinf wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:42 pm
Northern Flicker wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:12 pm But VOIP moves the traffic over the internet via a TCP/IP connection and may be susceptible to other types of attacks.
The telephone networks are all packet switched now, and frequently run on the same trunks as your internet traffic. As far as I'm aware, there are no more circuit-switched backbone PTSN systems in use. This is one of the reasons I find the frequent lack of VOIP support in services so maddening.
Not backbone in US but the local loop (from your landline telephone to the exchange) is still usually circuit switched. 2G/3G Cellphones are also circuit switched. There are circuit-switched backbones outside the US.
Chan_va

Google voice number not working with Vanguard

Post by Chan_va »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Folks,

I have used a Google Voice number to send my one time passcode for logging into Vanguard for a couple of years now. Starting a few weeks ago, I no longer receive codes sent to my Google voice number. Did Vanguard recently make a change to stop supporting Google voice?

Thanks
fabdog

Re: Google voice number not working with Vanguard

Post by fabdog »

the search box is your friend... MANY posts on this...

viewtopic.php?t=336282&start=50

Mike
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I’ve had it work if you check automated call instead of text.
Chan_va

Post by Chan_va »

Weird, I just tried logging on, and text's are coming through now to my Google voice number. Didn't make any changes.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Chan_va wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:47 pm Weird, I just tried logging on, and text's are coming through now to my Google voice number. Didn't make any changes.
Wasn't working for me, 12:30p EST
Northern Flicker

kevinf wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:42 pm
SMS from cell phone to cell phone does not use internet protocol, although an SMS 2-factor code during login to a site over the internet likely would originate from the host and be carried as internet traffic for at least part of the transmission, quite possibly using email/SMTP to get it to an email gateway for a given carrier's SMS center.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Chan_va's thread into a similar discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
acljump

Post by acljump »

Seems to be working again at least for me. Anyone else getting login verification texts now?
boglesmind

Post by boglesmind »

acljump wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:49 pm Seems to be working again at least for me. Anyone else getting login verification texts now?
Started working for me for about a week now
Dakotah

Post by Dakotah »

I've been having several issues with receiving SMS messages via Google Voice the last couple of weeks...particularly when using it through Hangouts. I've found that texts are not reliably being forwarded from GV to Hangouts. If you think you are not receiving texts because it's not showing in Hangouts...you may want to go directly to your GV app. I had several texts in there that I didn't realize that I had received.

I thought I had the issue fixed...but then the issues returned after a phone reset. I suspect that some of the settings are returning to default after the reset, but haven't been able to isolate it just yet.
bandoba

Post by bandoba »

Same here, it seems to be working as expected since last couple of days.
JamalJones

Post by JamalJones »

bandoba wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:11 pm Same here, it seems to be working as expected since last couple of days.
Working again for me as well! I was pretty bummed out that my GV number stopped functioning as my 2FA number (as well as other texting apps), so I was forced to use my real cell number. But then a couple months ago just for s**** & g****** decided to try it again and boom! All of a sudden, back in action!
TSP + Vanguard + Fidelity CMA: 80% equities / 20% bonds | "I don't shine shoes, I don’t tape ankles, I don't cut checks - straight cash homie!!" --R. Moss | Winner 2021 Hedge Fund Contest
Topic Author
xenial

Post by xenial »

I'm resurrecting this thread from last year. Yesterday (5/17/22) and today I've failed to receive logon security codes via Google Voice. The problem coincides with a change in appearance of Vanguard's security code entry page, so I'm guessing the issue is with Vanguard rather than Google.

Anyone else notice this, or is it just me?
erictiger12

Post by erictiger12 »

I had the same issue yesterday but today was fine.
boglesmind

Post by boglesmind »

xenial wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:38 pm I'm resurrecting this thread from last year. Yesterday (5/17/22) and today I've failed to receive logon security codes via Google Voice. The problem coincides with a change in appearance of Vanguard's security code entry page, so I'm guessing the issue is with Vanguard rather than Google.

I think it may not be related to Vanguard. 2FA codes via Google Voice stopped working for access to a major money center bank since yesterday. Curiously 2FA codes via a phone call to Google Voice number (not forwarded to my cell) works. This has happened off and on and after some time (a few weeks) appears to be resolve itself without any action on my part.

Boglesmind
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

boglesmind wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:51 pm
xenial wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:38 pm I'm resurrecting this thread from last year. Yesterday (5/17/22) and today I've failed to receive logon security codes via Google Voice. The problem coincides with a change in appearance of Vanguard's security code entry page, so I'm guessing the issue is with Vanguard rather than Google.

I think it may not be related to Vanguard. 2FA codes via Google Voice stopped working for access to a major money center bank since yesterday. Curiously 2FA codes via a phone call to Google Voice number (not forwarded to my cell) works. This has happened off and on and after some time (a few weeks) appears to be resolve itself without any action on my part.

Boglesmind
Worked fine for me today.
WhatsAllThis

Post by WhatsAllThis »

I have the exact same problem, also starting on the same day. Very annoyed with Vanguard at the moment.
bandoba

Post by bandoba »

WhatsAllThis wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:34 am

I have the exact same problem, also starting on the same day. Very annoyed with Vanguard at the moment.
I experienced similar problem but then when I requested code 2nd time, it came through. This same behavior was seen with other sites which request code from text message and so I am wondering if this just turned out to be Vanguard + Google issues.
boglesmind

Post by boglesmind »

bandoba wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:06 am
WhatsAllThis wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:34 am

I experienced similar problem but then when I requested code 2nd time, it came through. This same behavior was seen with other sites which request code from text message and so I am wondering if this just turned out to be Vanguard + Google issues.
Not unique to Vanguard. It's may be Google's issue. See Messages to GV numbers stopped arriving and 2 factor authentication texts never come through

Boglesmind
OuterBanks

Post by OuterBanks »

Just a warning to anyone using Google Voice. My wife had her Google Voice number removed by Google. No warning from Google at all. In the past they used to send an email reminder to use the number within 30 days or lose it but this time she never got a reminder to use it and also no notification that the phone number was removed until time came to try to use it and it was gone, can’t get it back either.

I have since replaced all Google Voice phone numbers on our accounts with something else.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

I have an app set up to remind me to make a call using Google voice about once a month. Started doing that when I got an email reminder from Google a couple years ago after failing to make calls with it for several months.

Based on some of the stories I've heard, I wonder whether I should be using it for 2FA. Seems like it's also possible that a company requiring 2FA will suddenly stop 2FA codes from going to Google voice.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Deleted duplicate