ITunes Won’t Close on IPhone

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leesbro63

ITunes Won’t Close on IPhone

Post by Leesbro63 »

How do I get iTunes to quit automatically opening on my iPhone? Of perhaps it’s never really “closed”? When I plug the phone into Apple Car Play it also starts the most recent song. Help is appreciated.
quantAndHold

Re: ITunes Won’t Close on IPhone

Post by quantAndHold »

That’s one of my pet peeves. The second my phone connects to the Bluetooth in my car, it picks a random song out of my library and starts playing it. But only in the car, not to my headphones or smart speaker or anywhere else. Drives me crazy. I don’t even have CarPlay.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I deleted the Music app from my iPhone due to how annoying that was. That seems to have done the trick. I use Spotify now.
student

Post by student »

Here is a conjecture as I have this issue sometimes. When you finish listening on itunes on your phone, press stop on the song.
fposte

Post by fposte »

That's a pretty standard thing. There is somebody who has created a silent track so you can add that to your iPhone and avoid the music blast.
Afty

Post by Afty »

Jags4186 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:10 am I deleted the Music app from my iPhone due to how annoying that was. That seems to have done the trick. I use Spotify now.
Same here
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Jags4186 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:10 am I deleted the Music app from my iPhone due to how annoying that was. That seems to have done the trick. I use Spotify now.
But I use the music app.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:47 am
But I use the music app.
My suggestion is to switch :happy

If you have a big music library that is downloaded onto the phone, you can switch to something like YouTube Music which will let you upload all of your music to your Google account. Then you can either download it back to the YouTube Music app onto your phone or stream it. And your phone won’t blast you.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:03 am How do I get iTunes to quit automatically opening on my iPhone?
When does it automatically open, besides with CarPlay which you specifically mentioned? I've never had that happen to me, but I don't use CarPlay. I always close the Music app when I'm done with it, by "flicking" it out of the "deck of cards" type display of currently open apps.

(My wife has never mastered the "flick to close" trick, so whenever I look at her phone, she has a dozen apps open in the background...)

[added...] Maybe this will do it?

How to Stop Apple Music from Automatically Playing (from Digital Music News)

(found with a Google search for "apple music app automatically opens")
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Jags4186 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:04 am
But I use the music app.

If you have a big music library that is downloaded onto the phone, you can switch to something like YouTube Music which will let you upload all of your music to your Google account. Then you can either download it back to the YouTube Music app onto your phone or stream it. And your phone won’t blast you.
Switching, with over 1000 songs, is like the trying to patch a hole in the wall by removing the drywall and studs. I'm absolutely not going to do what you suggested, but thanks. iTunes works great for me...it's just an annoyance that I can't make it go away except for when I want it to not go away.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

22twain wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:21 am
Leesbro63 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:03 am How do I get iTunes to quit automatically opening on my iPhone?
When does it automatically open, besides with CarPlay which you specifically mentioned? I've never had that happen to me, but I don't use CarPlay. I always close the Music app when I'm done with it, by "flicking" it out of the "deck of cards" type display of currently open apps.

(My wife has never mastered the "flick to close" trick, so whenever I look at her phone, she has a dozen apps open in the background...)

[added...] Maybe this will do it?

How to Stop Apple Music from Automatically Playing (from Digital Music News)

(found with a Google search for "apple music app automatically opens")
Nope. This refers to an "infinite loop” that I can't find on my phone.
lillycat

Post by lillycat »

YIKES! Me too. I hate when this happens. Maybe it’s worth a call to Apple support?
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:21 pm
But I use the music app.

Switching, with over 1000 songs, is like the trying to patch a hole in the wall by removing the drywall and studs. I'm absolutely not going to do what you suggested, but thanks. iTunes works great for me...it's just an annoyance that I can't make it go away except for when I want it to not go away.
Yea…but…the Music App is like the Hi-C guy

gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

Now, if someone can just tell me how to get rid of that U2 album that I didn't want.....
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

gwe67 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:56 am Now, if someone can just tell me how to get rid of that U2 album that I didn't want.....
Lol. No kidding.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Jags4186 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:41 am
But I use the music app.

You got me. What does that mean?
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:47 am

But I use the music app.

Hi-C guy = Music App auto playing music

Hi-C guy is known to jump through your wall creating a gigantic hole

You can't fix that hole with spackle
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Reply to just above: OK 🧐
We're wolves

Post by We're wolves »

Jags4186 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:00 am

Hi-C guy? huh? That is the Kool-Aid man...
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

We're wolves wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:10 am
Jags4186 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:00 am

Hi-C guy? huh? That is the Kool-Aid man...
Okay you got me!
Fremdon Ferndock

Post by Fremdon Ferndock »

Thanks for the post. This happens with bluetooth hearing aids also, and has been driving me nuts. Unexpectedly I get a blast of U-2 through my Phonak hearing aids. I really didn't know which app was doing it since I have Pandora and Amazon loaded also. Seems to me, however, that when I deleted itunes previously I got it back maybe from an auto update or something. Apple keeps jamming itself down your throat.
"Risk is what’s left over when you think you’ve thought of everything." ~ Morgan Housel
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Brianmcg321 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:08 am
gwe67 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:56 am Now, if someone can just tell me how to get rid of that U2 album that I didn't want.....
Lol. No kidding.
Bono actually issued an apology for this.

Apple has not issued an apology for not including a way to turn off auto play with the car connection. Unless there is a recent workaround, all the solutions also result in the inability to use the music app with the car.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Katietsu wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:33 am
Brianmcg321 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:08 am
Lol. No kidding.
Bono actually issued an apology for this.

Apple has not issued an apology for not including a way to turn off auto play with the car connection. Unless there is a recent workaround, all the solutions also result in the inability to use the music app with the car.
Hard to imagine that I'm the first one around here complaining about that. I guess I'll just hafta live with it!
22twain

Post by 22twain »

Fremdon Ferndock wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:17 am This happens with bluetooth hearing aids also, and has been driving me nuts.
It doesn't happen with my ReSound aids. I'm puzzled by what everybody else is reporting here. I normally play a lot of music from my iPhone through my aids. I've never had it start up unbidden, even when I've left it open, paused in the middle of a track.

[added]

Aha, I think I may have found out why I'm not experiencing this issue. I came across an Apple support article which shows the Autoplay "infinity" icon, which I don't see on my iPhone.

Underneath the first image on that page is the note "Autoplay is available only if you subscribe to Apple Music." I don't subscribe to Apple Music. All my music is from my CD collection, ripped to the music library in my iMac and sync'd to my iPhone.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
Fremdon Ferndock

Post by Fremdon Ferndock »

22twain wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:18 pm
Fremdon Ferndock wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:17 am This happens with bluetooth hearing aids also, and has been driving me nuts.
It doesn't happen with my ReSound aids. I'm puzzled by what everybody else is reporting here. I normally play a lot of music from my iPhone through my aids. I've never had it start up unbidden, even when I've left it open, paused in the middle of a track.

[added]

Aha, I think I may have found out why I'm not experiencing this issue. I came across an Apple support article which shows the Autoplay "infinity" icon, which I don't see on my iPhone.

Underneath the first image on that page is the note "Autoplay is available only if you subscribe to Apple Music." I don't subscribe to Apple Music. All my music is from my CD collection, ripped to the music library in my iMac and sync'd to my iPhone.
I don't subscribe to Apple Music either, but that doesn't stop Apple from driving me nuts shoving stuff down my throat that I didn't ask for with no user option. There are some things about Apple that are like that.
"Risk is what’s left over when you think you’ve thought of everything." ~ Morgan Housel
fposte

Post by fposte »

In my car, it stops when it reaches the end of the chosen playlist. You could try buying the silent track, creating a playlist for it, and leaving that as your default playlist.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

fposte wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:26 pm In my car, it stops when it reaches the end of the chosen playlist. You could try buying the silent track, creating a playlist for it, and leaving that as your default playlist.
That suggests something that probably makes me different from most everybody else: I don't use playlists. My music is all classical. I organize it so each work is a single "album", whether it's a multiple-movement/track symphony etc. or a single-movement tone poem, or a collection of short pieces/tracks by various composers in a recital.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

fposte wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:26 pm In my car, it stops when it reaches the end of the chosen playlist. You could try buying the silent track, creating a playlist for it, and leaving that as your default playlist.
This might be the best solution.