Phone plans for international travel (Verizon)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
stanthecaddy

Phone plans for international travel (Verizon)

Post by stanthecaddy »

My Verizon plan charges $10/ day for international travel plans. For a 10 day trip, that’s $200 for two of our phones. Is there a better option here?
KlangFool

Re: Phone plans for international travel (Verizon)

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

Depending on where you are going, how long you are going to stay in a country, and whether you need to receive a call on your US phone #, a pre-paid sim card for your phone at where you are going to be might be a better deal.

Or, just a pre-paid phone.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

Where are you traveling to?
What model phone do you currently have?
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
PugetSoundguy

Post by PugetSoundguy »

We just got back from Europe and we held our noses and paid the $10 per day (for multiple phones!)

Yes, there are cheaper ways to do it, but all seem to involve varying degrees of hassle and only you can determine if it's worth it. We liked that we could use our phones just like we did at home. The kids could easily text photos to Granny and she could text back. They could easily call each other and stay in touch with their friends, which they found to be fun.

It was expensive, but for us it was worth it because it was so easy for everyone. I just included it in the trip budget and it didn't look so bad compared to some other expenses. Like I said, there are definitely cheaper ways to do it but this sure was easy.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Depending on your usage, wifi calling might be a solution. VZ has wifi calling -- I think it has to be activated while you are in the US but works outside the US (you'd want to confirm that). You would be limited to using it when connected to wifi, of course.

I use it at home because our cell coverage in the house is non-existent and I don't feel like walking out to the road to make a call.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

stanthecaddy wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:59 am My Verizon plan charges $10/ day for international travel plans. For a 10 day trip, that’s $200 for two of our phones. Is there a better option here?
Get it for one phone, and use the second phone only on Wi-Fi.
PugetSoundguy

Post by PugetSoundguy »

.Get it for one phone, and use the second phone only on Wi-Fi..
This is a great idea. You can set up the plan for both phones before you leave, and Verizon will only charge $10 per day per phone on the days you actually use it. So if the second phone on wifi turns out not to be working out, just go to using it regularly and pay the $10 per day. While traveling, you won't need to do anything special to set it up; you simply use it and Verizon will bill you. But if it does work out with one phone on wifi only, you save half what you would otherwise spend.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

If you have a phone supporting eSIM - that would be the iPhone XS/XR or later, and some newer Android phones - then the easiest way is probably to get an eSIM data app like Truphone. They have plans that cover countries and regions - for example, 10GB in most of Europe for $27, good for 30 days. Install the app and activate before you leave.

With the eSIM active, you should still be able to use your Verizon line on wi-fi for texting and calling (disable roaming).
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

02nz wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:12 am If you have a phone supporting eSIM - that would be the iPhone XS/XR or later, and some newer Android phones - then the easiest way is probably to get an eSIM data app like Truphone. They have plans that cover countries and regions - for example, 10GB in most of Europe for $27, good for 30 days. Install the app and activate before you leave.

With the eSIM active, you should still be able to use your Verizon line on wi-fi for texting and calling (disable roaming).
Thanks I did not know this existed, good information and it seems easy to swap the eSIM on the phone?
kramer

Post by kramer »

02nz wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:12 am If you have a phone supporting eSIM - that would be the iPhone XS/XR or later, and some newer Android phones - then the easiest way is probably to get an eSIM data app like Truphone. They have plans that cover countries and regions - for example, 10GB in most of Europe for $27, good for 30 days. Install the app and activate before you leave.

Yes, this is my future plan. I currently use Google Fi but they are messaging many people that they are spending too much time out of the US and cancelling their data (and I expect I will be told the same soon). So I plan to switch soon to using eSim for travel ... buy online before leaving and activate on day of departure, works as soon as you land.

I am just reiterating your post so that other posters are aware and might look for an eSim feature in their next phone. I have a Samsung S21 Ultra which now supports eSim, but it wasn't supported in software by Samsung on this phone until Android 12 was pushed out in November, 2021.

There are several sites like this one that list eSim offerings by region: https://esimdb.com , https://www.airalo.com/
Many of the offerings work over a whole region and not just one country (Europe, for instance)

Now that eSim offerings are much broader than even a couple of years ago, it's really a killer feature to have on your phone. You can download and store multiple eSims at once but only one can be active at any one time.

https://www.airalo.com/blog/how-esim-works
02nz

Post by 02nz »

quietseas wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:18 am

Thanks I did not know this existed, good information and it seems easy to swap the eSIM on the phone?
The whole point of the eSIM is that you don't have to swap anything physically. The app (e.g., Truphone) installs the eSIM electronically. I think if you have multiple eSIM apps you can easily swap among them.
diy60

Post by diy60 »

Spouse and I took a couple of ex-US trips last year. We left one phone on the Verizon travel pass ($10/24hr) and purchased a 30day 5gib data esim for the other phone. On the esim phone we deactivated travel pass. The reason we deactivated is because whenever you receive an SMS message your travel pass period (and $10/24hr charge) will be triggered. This includes any of those pesky spam or blocked calls that result in a SMS message. Took a couple of days before we figured out what was triggering the travel pass charge. If you get an esim you will need to set up wifi calling and disable roaming before you leave the US. Best of luck.

Edited to add: I forget which company I purchased my travel esim from but it was based in Israel. While using the esim, my Google searches always came up in Hebrew initially, and then I had to click on the English button each time. Pretty annoying, but it did save a considerable amount of money.
Last edited by diy60 on Sun May 08, 2022 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

kramer wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:29 am

Yes, this is my future plan. I currently use Google Fi but they are messaging many people that they are spending too much time out of the US and cancelling their data (and I expect I will be told the same soon). So I plan to switch soon to using eSim for travel ... buy online before leaving and activate on day of departure, works as soon as you land.

I am just reiterating your post so that other posters are aware and might look for an eSim feature in their next phone. I have a Samsung S21 Ultra which now supports eSim, but it wasn't supported in software by Samsung on this phone until Android 12 was pushed out in November, 2021.

There are several sites like this one that list eSim offerings by region: https://esimdb.com , https://www.airalo.com/
Many of the offerings work over a whole region and not just one country (Europe, for instance)

Now that eSim offerings are much broader than even a couple of years ago, it's really a killer feature to have on your phone. You can download and store multiple eSims at once but only one can be active at any one time.

https://www.airalo.com/blog/how-esim-works
I'll just note that my experience with Airalo (tested last summer in the U.S.) was not good - it was very slow because all the data went through Poland I think (all the ads shown to me switched to Polish). I believe in Europe this would not be a problem, but based on this I would not recommend Airalo outside of Europe.
informal guide

Post by informal guide »

I believe those using AT&T get a slightly better deal. For access from international locations, they charge $10 per day for the 1st phone and $5 for each additional phone on the same plan. But turning off all but one phone is an easier, cheaper solution.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

If you want to keep your phone number, paying the $10 is the best option.

If you just want access to lots of data you can get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Orange-Holiday-E ... YH2NW?th=1

Used to be much cheaper on Amazon, seems like they’ve ratcheted it up. Probably can find cheaper ones elsewhere.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Pre-Covid we traveled to Europe 1-2 time each year. We were previously using ATT and switched to Xfinity 4-5 years ago, and never bought into a travel plan. With free Wi-Fi access at a minimum of 12 hrs a day, we just didn’t see where constant phone and data service was necessary or even desirable unless you plan to conduct business while traveling.

With the time change, do you really want to be receiving spam calls in the middle of the night? Just sent your numbers to VM and check your messages via Wi-Fi once a day. Give your family a Google phone number to reach you if it’s urgent; free Wi-Fi is very easy to find while walking around in small and large cities (there’s an app that will connect to your phone’s gps to locate Wi-Fi.

We typically leave our cell service switched off all the time, but during our last preCovid trip to UK and France, we did run into delays and had to switch my phone on to make several unexpected calls and texts. The total charge from Xfinity was under $10.

I do use the phone extensively for driving & walking directions, but the app uses stored maps so doesn’t require data.
is50xenough

Post by is50xenough »

Just got back from 3 weeks in Europe. Have Verizon. One phone had monthly plan for $100. The other used wifi. Verizon team didn’t seem very knowledgeable or helpful btw
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

I'm looking at moving to Visible Wireless.

- Runs on Verizon towers.
- Unlimited talk/text
- eSIM technology
- Hotspot included

$40 month as-is, drops to $25/month with party play.

Since it has the eSIM tech, should make international trips with phones easy, and cheaper than $10 per day add-on.
chance

Post by chance »

Verizon is the biggest ripoff for international travel. Had a Verizon plan many years ago and would NEVER get one again.

For international travel I've previously used T-Mobile which was okay. No additional expense but slow data. If you read the fine print they are basically throttling the data speed to 256Kbps which is around 2G speeds. So they can give you "unlimited"
data because you won't be able to use much data even if you really tried because of how slow it is.

For the past few years I've used the Google Fi Flexible plan. We pay a nominal fee for calls/text per phone and $10 per GB of data used. For my wife and I our total monthly bill has hovered around $50. Our son will be going overseas this summer so we just added him to the plan so he can take advantage of the international data. I'm giving him a 2GB per month allotment, which sure beats the heck out of Verizon's criminal $10 per day. :shock:
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Just turn off roaming and use WiFi only.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

T-Mobile. No hassles, texts and incoming calls are free, outgoing calls 25 cents per minute. We originally went with T-Mobile because they were the only ones to give us a cellspot for voice calls in the dark hole where our house is located. But then we realized how wonderful the international coverage is, for up to 60 days abroad.

While we have seen the throttling in some countries, in others it does not happen. I was able to post photos live from Mt. Olympus last summer.

The other tool that I have just for phone calls is Google Voice. That can go to any phone in the world. Our family also uses Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp for making voice calls and video chat between countries, free with some kind of cell or wifi signal.
cockersx3

Post by cockersx3 »

KlangFool wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:05 am OP,

Depending on where you are going, how long you are going to stay in a country, and whether you need to receive a call on your US phone #, a pre-paid sim card for your phone at where you are going to be might be a better deal.

Or, just a pre-paid phone.

KlangFool
+1. It all depends on the factors Klang indicates. Examples:
  • I travelled to Europe on business for several months (pre-COVID). I moved my US phone number to Google Voice (one-time cost of $25), and purchased a pre-paid SIM card in the European airport where I landed (believe I paid like $30 per month). For that I got more 4G data than I could ever possibly use anywhere in Western Europe (ie not limited to country where I bought the card), and was able to make free calls to / from the US over 4G or WiFi using my Google Voice number.
  • I travelled to the Caribbean on a cruise. Pre-paid SIM cards at each island were expensive, and none of the islands have a common carrier. There I just hopped on WiFi at each of the islands and used my Google Voice to call / text back home. No need to use the Verizon $10 a day option.
If you can identify specifically which countries (or even regions) you're going to and how long you'll be there, we can provide better guidance.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Like others upthread, we set up one phone to allow international roaming at $10/day and turn other phones onto airplane mode and just use them as Wi-Fi permits.
Bogle7

T-Mobile

Post by Bogle7 »

T-Mobile
Free to low cost in Europe.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

informal guide wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:35 pm I believe those using AT&T get a slightly better deal. For access from international locations, they charge $10 per day for the 1st phone and $5 for each additional phone on the same plan. But turning off all but one phone is an easier, cheaper solution.
and I think it charges for a max of 12 days, so if you go on a longer trip it's free after that. Don't know for how many days though :?:
Nksumner

Post by Nksumner »

diy60 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:44 am Spouse and I took a couple of ex-US trips last year. We left one phone on the Verizon travel pass ($10/24hr) and purchased a 30day 5gib data esim for the other phone. On the esim phone we deactivated travel pass. The reason we deactivated is because whenever you receive an SMS message your travel pass period (and $10/24hr charge) will be triggered. This includes any of those pesky spam or blocked calls that result in a SMS message. Took a couple of days before we figured out what was triggering the travel pass charge. If you get an esim you will need to set up wifi calling and disable roaming before you leave the US. Best of luck.

Edited to add: I forget which company I purchased my travel esim from but it was based in Israel. While using the esim, my Google searches always came up in Hebrew initially, and then I had to click on the English button each time. Pretty annoying, but it did save a considerable amount of money.
This is helpful! I am currently in Europe and have a 30day 3gib data esim through Airalo. It has been working perfectly for 2 weeks- but I have had 24 hour travel passes activates twice from Verizon just because I have received a couple of SMS’s (that I didn’t even respond to). On a chat with Verizon support it sounds like there is no way to keep this from happening (I have data roaming off for my Verizon line but apparently that does not prevent you from receiving an SMS).

They said I could turn off my travel pass to prevent it from activating but then if I receive an SMS I would be charged $50 for a roaming fee plus $.50 for each SMS I received, which seems absolutely crazy. Then they said I could suspend service on my line for 90 days at a charge of $10 a month. They assured me I would still be able to use my phone number for iMessage and WhatsApp, not sure if this is true but I’m going to give it a try. Wondering if just deactivating travelpass worked for others or if you were hit with the $50 roaming fee from something as small as receiving one SMS. Frustrating that Verizon doesn’t make this easier when it’s so cheap to get esim data packages now!