Trouble getting Google Voice Number

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
K72

Trouble getting Google Voice Number

Post by K72 »

Whenever I try getting a Google Voice number by selecting a number from a list, I get an error message saying "Something went wrong. We had a problem with this. Please try again." No info at all as to what the actual problem is. I've tried searching that error message and get past responses from Google Support (all locked) saying things like, make sure your cell provider supports GV, use a different number, wait 24 hours because you've used too many attempts, etc.

I have a valid gmail account and can log in w/o problem and see my inbox. I use FireFox. My cell # is with T-Mobile. Anybody know if T-Mobile can't be used for GV? After waiting two days from the first failed attempts, I get the same error message. I only have one cell # so can't try a different one. Appreciate some suggestions for what to try. It seems to me this should be straightforward but is turning out to be far from it. I don't suppose there is a live person or chat I can use to get help?

The odd part is that when I first tried, it appeared to work in that after I selected the number I wanted, I did get sent a verification code to my cell phone that I entered in the boxes. All seemed to work, but the resulting screen said I didn't have a Google Voice number so can't make calls, etc. Something clearly got fouled up but I don't know how to un-foul it.
Last edited by K72 on Fri May 13, 2022 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
All we want are the facts...
bob60014

Re: Trouble getting Google Voice Number

Post by bob60014 »

Can't help with the number but I've been using T-Mobile and GVoice for years, no issues.
Topic Author
K72

Post by K72 »

For kicks just I logged into gmail, then went to another tab and searched for Google Voice. Clicked on the first search result and I get what appears to be the main GV page. In the middle it says Hi "my name", you're all caught up. When I click the gear button at the top to get the settings page, under Account I see 1 linked number with my cell # showing, but a box that says "You don't have a Google Voice number" and a button to Get a number. When I click it I can get a list of numbers that I can choose from and of course the error message when I choose one. Under Account, it says I have no devices.

What to try????
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Assuming you have a smartphone, install the Google Voice app and sign into your google account. See if there's a way to get a new GV number through the app. It's been a while but I remember trying to use the app (versus a browser) to get the GV number. Might work...
tidelandp

Post by tidelandp »

Trying using a different browser or clearing cache files & cookies from existing one.
Topic Author
K72

Post by K72 »

Thanks for the suggestions, but still a no go. I do have an iPhone. On the computer, I tried Chrome instead of FireFox and got the same result (error message). I also installed the phone app and tried from there. Using the phone app, if I start from the settings screen where it says get a voice number, I'm able to search and select a number, but then I get sent right back to the settings screen as if nothing happened.
tidelandp

Post by tidelandp »

If your problem is similar to the one posted here, https://support.google.com/voice/thread ... rong?hl=en, recommended solution is to use another phone.
Topic Author
K72

Post by K72 »

tidelandp wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:30 pm If your problem is similar to the one posted here, https://support.google.com/voice/thread ... rong?hl=en, recommended solution is to use another phone.
Thanks, that link explains alot. When I first selected a number for GV, I did get a code sent to my cell that I entered, but for some reason, I never ended up with a GV number. The link explains why I wasn't able to do it again. Must be my account got into some kind of limbo state. Trouble with the link is that it doesn't explain HOW to use a different phone number to validate the account. It's not like there is a button to click for using a different phone number. Doesn't matter anyway because I seem to have stumbled on a workaround. I created another gmail account and was able to obtain a GV number (using the same cell # which seems odd). I also saw a button that appears to allow me to transfer the GV number to another account. I may or may not try that. I'd hate to get things fouled up to the point where I no longer have a GV number at all. Fortunately both gmail accounts are brand new, so nothing lost really if I abandon one. Net is I now have an operational GV account that I've already used to redeem sports tickets. :D