Will Palantir ever be profitable?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
drumboy256

Re: Will Palantir ever be profitable?

Post by drumboy256 »

no, they won't. Why? You have to look at how they view "profit". Alex Karp pull money to invest in other areas that drive revenue generation for the company but not out-n-out profitability. There are many reasons he does this but the main one is to avoid being "highly" visible (ironic, since they're highly visible since they DON'T turn a profit) but the point being is they don't want to be viewed a profit generator for large companies to buy stock in and advocate for change.

I bought PLTR at $8.75 and turned it at $42 back when they DPO'ed and I haven't looked at them again. I like the company for what they do (no one else touches them) but investing in them is a complete fools errand.
Promise is one thing. Fulfilling that promise is quite another. - Sir Alex Ferguson | // Merri-Bogle WW SCV + Chill
james22

Post by james22 »

We’re in this for the long haul. If you are speculating or you’re thinking about this short-term, there are plenty of other things to invest in,” he said. “If you want something else, it’s a huge world. Buy some other stock. You don’t have to buy Palantir. No one is forcing you. Karp
When people say things are different, 20 percent of the time they are right. John Templeton
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

TheoLeo wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:25 pm
unclescrooge wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:54 pm I don't know if we are in a bubble yet, but if you look at the P/E ratios for VUG (Vanguard growth ETF) is 34 and VTV (Vanguard value ETF) it's 17.
One part of the market is either very expensive, or another part is very cheap. 🤔
My hunch would be that both parts are historically expensive if you consider expected earnings growth (or loss) and risk of bankruptcies.
And FNDF (international developed fundamental index i.e. value) is 11.2
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

typical.investor wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:00 pm
TheoLeo wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:25 pm
unclescrooge wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:54 pm I don't know if we are in a bubble yet, but if you look at the P/E ratios for VUG (Vanguard growth ETF) is 34 and VTV (Vanguard value ETF) it's 17.
One part of the market is either very expensive, or another part is very cheap. 🤔
My hunch would be that both parts are historically expensive if you consider expected earnings growth (or loss) and risk of bankruptcies.
And FNDF (international developed fundamental index i.e. value) is 11.2
And what are these historical values for all 3? If for a made up example the numbers were 30, 10, 5 would it change your opinion on which ones were overvalued? Granted historical has the issue that how it is calculated changes constantly...