"Open Social Security" calculator: feature requests, bug reports, etc

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Agent 99

Re: "Open Social Security" calculator: feature requests, bug reports, etc

Post by Agent 99 »

ObliviousInvestor wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:49 am
Agent 99 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:42 am This radio button won’t respond to my input. I want to change it to no. It’s stuck on yes. Working on an IPAD air. I can try my phone later....

Had your spouse already filed for retirement benefits before his/her date of death?YesNo

Also, for my PIA - I took my social security early. Is that the amount I enter for my PIA? I can’t find my FRA amount in my online social security account.

Thanks...
Can you provide the link with the inputs used? The browser probably doesn't matter in this case. It is set, for example, to force a "yes" answer to whether a person has already filed if they are still alive and over age 70. But there may be some bug in that logic that is forcing a "yes" answer in some other circumstances where it should not.

For the PIA input, you must enter specifically your PIA rather than some other amount. For example if you filed for retirement benefits 36 months prior to your FRA, your monthly retirement benefit is 80% of your PIA.
By the way thanks for covering my question yesterday. I just listened to the entire program. Sticking with my plan.

This is the link https://opensocialsecurity.com/. I’m not sure if this is what you want. Regarding the inputs I’ld rather not publish them here particularly my info.
Topic Author
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

Agent 99 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:43 pm
ObliviousInvestor wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:49 am
Agent 99 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:42 am This radio button won’t respond to my input. I want to change it to no. It’s stuck on yes. Working on an IPAD air. I can try my phone later....

Had your spouse already filed for retirement benefits before his/her date of death?YesNo

Also, for my PIA - I took my social security early. Is that the amount I enter for my PIA? I can’t find my FRA amount in my online social security account.

Thanks...
Can you provide the link with the inputs used? The browser probably doesn't matter in this case. It is set, for example, to force a "yes" answer to whether a person has already filed if they are still alive and over age 70. But there may be some bug in that logic that is forcing a "yes" answer in some other circumstances where it should not.

For the PIA input, you must enter specifically your PIA rather than some other amount. For example if you filed for retirement benefits 36 months prior to your FRA, your monthly retirement benefit is 80% of your PIA.
By the way thanks for covering my question yesterday. I just listened to the entire program. Sticking with my plan.

This is the link https://opensocialsecurity.com/. I’m not sure if this is what you want. Regarding the inputs I’ld rather not publish them here particularly my info.
By the link, I meant the link from the bottom of the page that includes the inputs. (See the paragraph under the "submit" button before the calculator is run.)

If you'd prefer not to publish it here, you could email it to me at mike@obliviousinvestor.com. Or, barring that, perhaps you could modestly change some of the inputs in a way that still results in the behavior you're seeing?
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

Agent 99 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:43 pm

That is simply the URL for his website. He was asking for the link that would include your input where your issue occurred. There is no personally identifiable info used on the page. Just change your birthday slightly if you feel the need but that data point is useless absent much more data.

Look for this after you run the analysis.

“If you want to save your inputs, you can right-click this link and choose "copy link" (in Firefox/Safari) or "copy link address" (in Chrome). If you paste that URL into your browser later, your inputs will be pre-filled.”

Cheers
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

To explain, that link does nothing more than put the input data in the link. Here's an example of a working link:

Code: Select all

https://opensocialsecurity.com/?additionalInput=false&disabilityShow=false&workingShow=false&pensionShow=false&mortalityShow=false&childrenShow=false&discountShow=false&cutShow=false&marital=single&discount=0.52&cutAssumption=false&cutYear=2034&cutPercent=23&aGender=male&aDOBm=1&aDOBd=15&aDOBy=1960&aDisability=false&aPIA=1000&aFixedRBm=5&aFixedRBy=2022&aWorking=false&aQuitm=&aQuity=&aEarnings=0&aFiled=true&aFiledSurvivor=false&aFixedSurvBm=&aFixedSurvBy=&aFiledMotherFather=false&aFixedMFBm=&aFixedMFBy=&aEligiblePension=false&aPensionm=1&aPensiony=2020&aGovPension=0&aPIA2=1000&aMortality=SSA2019&aDeathAge=100&bGender=female&bDOBm=4&bDOBd=15&bDOBy=1960&bDODm=4&bDODy=2020&bDisability=false&bPIA=1000&bFixedRBm=&bFixedRBy=&bWorking=false&bQuitm=&bQuity=&bEarnings=0&bFiled=false&bEligiblePension=false&bPensionm=1&bPensiony=2020&bGovPension=0&bPIA2=1000&bMortality=SSA2019&bDeathAge=100&children=false&numberOfChildren=0
The tool configures your situation by using the parameters in that link. You can change your situation by modifying the parameters in that link - if one was inclined to do so.

Nothing is stored on the website.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Agent 99

Post by Agent 99 »

I didn’t think the URL was what you wanted me to send but I didn’t bother to hit submit because the radio button didn’t change to no. That’s where my confusion came from.

I’ve played around a bit with it and this is what I’ve discovered. DOB spouse 4/15/1946, Date of death 1/2016. Changing the DOB from 1947 through 1952 the radio button doesn’t budge off yes. At 1953 it permits yes and no choice. Dates prior to 1946 also caused the button to stay on yes. It didn’t matter if I said yes or no to taking my social security.

I took screen pix if you want me to email them to you.
ColoRetiredGirl

Re: When to take Social Security change

Post by ColoRetiredGirl »

Ben Mathew wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:04 pm
ColoRetiredGirl wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:18 pm I just finished reading the blurb, considered all the moving parts, and re-looked at my difference of negative $596 (-.01%) if taken at 70.
When the difference in net present value is small, you'll probably want to favor delaying SS and taking the larger payout because it's an annuity which reduces longevity risk. It's the only inflation adjusted annuity you can get right now.

Opensocialsecurity talks about this in the about section:
... delaying benefits reduces longevity risk and therefore may be preferable even in some cases in which it is not the strategy that maximizes expected total spending
Thank you! I came to the same conclusion. The difference is small but waiting until 70 gives me a bigger annual paycheck. Also, not knowing if I invest the funds would be a benefit in the current and projected volatile market environment. I am hoping for large colas in 2022 and 2023 on top of the 8%.
Topic Author
ObliviousInvestor

Agent 99 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:37 pm I’ve played around a bit with it and this is what I’ve discovered. DOB spouse 4/15/1946, Date of death 1/2016. Changing the DOB from 1947 through 1952 the radio button doesn’t budge off yes. At 1953 it permits yes and no choice. Dates prior to 1946 also caused the button to stay on yes. It didn’t matter if I said yes or no to taking my social security.
Thank you. This is exactly what I needed. I'll look into it.
Topic Author
ObliviousInvestor

Agent 99 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:37 pm I’ve played around a bit with it and this is what I’ve discovered. DOB spouse 4/15/1946, Date of death 1/2016. Changing the DOB from 1947 through 1952 the radio button doesn’t budge off yes. At 1953 it permits yes and no choice. Dates prior to 1946 also caused the button to stay on yes. It didn’t matter if I said yes or no to taking my social security.
It should be fixed now. (You'll have to "shift + refresh" in order to force your browser to use the latest version of the code.)

Thank you again for this bug report.

For anybody curious, the field in question ("personB.hasFiled") refers to whether personB has filed as of today in married/divorced cases, but when the calculator is being used in a survivor scenario, it refers to whether personB had filed as of the date of death.

The code had been set to not allow a "no" answer if personB would be over age 70 today. And that makes sense in a married/divorced scenario. But in a survivor scenario, perhaps they would be age 70 today if they were still alive, but no they had not filed by their date of death. So now in a survivor scenario it checks whether the person was already age 70 as of the date of death, rather than their would-be age today. And if they were over age 70 on the date of death, it does not allow for a "no" answer.