[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
topper1296

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by topper1296 »

We just started on Amazon Prime's Reacher that came out Feb 22. It's a great thriller based on the book series and there will be a season 2. There were also two Reacher movies several years ago that started Tom Cruise but I haven't seen either one of those to see how it compares to the Prime series.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

topper1296 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:09 am We just started on Amazon Prime's Reacher that came out Feb 22. It's a great thriller based on the book series and there will be a season 2. There were also two Reacher movies several years ago that started Tom Cruise but I haven't seen either one of those to see how it compares to the Prime series.
Don't bother with the movies.

The books are the real thing. The TV series is next best. The movies don't even come close. They may be okay in their own right -- as average action flicks -- but they're not representative of the Reacher brand.

Disclosure: I only saw the first movie, but Reacher fans say the second one was even worse.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

roamingzebra wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:13 am
topper1296 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:09 am We just started on Amazon Prime's Reacher that came out Feb 22. It's a great thriller based on the book series and there will be a season 2. There were also two Reacher movies several years ago that started Tom Cruise but I haven't seen either one of those to see how it compares to the Prime series.
Don't bother with the movies.

The books are the real thing. The TV series is next best. The movies don't even come close. They may be okay in their own right -- as average action flicks -- but they're not representative of the Reacher brand.

Disclosure: I only saw the first movie, but Reacher fans say the second one was even worse.
Could not agree more (about this and Breaking Bad). We made it about 20 minutes into the 2nd Reacher movie; IMO, comically bad and I've managed to soldier through all the Fast and Furious movies. We liked the show OK (I personally thought it was overly predictable and cheesy, yet pretty entertaining), but the books are much better.
BigJohn

Post by BigJohn »

roamingzebra wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:55 pm As for Saul, this is the first time I've seen a corrupt lawyer on TV who I found not only likeable but amusing. He's no Walter or Jesse, but he's interesting enough to follow onto the new show.
Don't want to spoil anything so I'll just say.... you don't REALLY know Saul until you watch the prequel. It's a tough call for which is better between BB and BCS. Both are great so I wouldn't wait too long to start BCS.
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan" - Carl Von Clausewitz
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

Finished season 4 of Yellowstone and we are still enjoying (right word?) it. Looking forward to S5.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“American Greed”. Enjoy that show!

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Two HBO Max offerings:

Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty. Very entertaining, but before you believe everything you see, check out Jerry West's lawyers' demand letter that can be found here: https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/jerry- ... 235236494/

We Own This City. From the group that created "The Wire." More about crime in Baltimore, but based upon a true story of police over-reach. Just finished first episode, which was released today. Entertaining.
hfj

Post by hfj »

Generation 56K on Netflix. Italian rom-com that was light, funny, nostalgic. Went through it pretty quickly and really enjoyed it.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:04 pm “American Greed”. Enjoy that show!

Best.
Tony
If you are a fan of American Greed, and also a fan of Better Call Saul, make sure to watch the fake episode of American Greed on Saul Goodman.

It is hilarious. Stacey Keach narrates as usual in his inimitable style. They pull in the actual actors (prosecutors, "victims") of BCS for head shots. It is good stuff.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Cruise wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:08 am

Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty. Very entertaining, but before you believe everything you see, check out Jerry West's lawyers' demand letter that can be found here: https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/jerry- ... 235236494/
Haven't watched this yet, although I did grow up in LA during the height of "Showtime". I previously heard from several people that the portrayal of Jerry West was terrible and (as far as they know) completely unfounded. Not shocked at all to see this (for reasons I won't get into), but good to see so many of his former players and colleagues backing him up.
surfinagin

Post by surfinagin »

Conch55 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:58 pm Finished season 4 of Yellowstone and we are still enjoying (right word?) it. Looking forward to S5.
Also just finished Yellowstone S4-
Still entertaining, but thought compared to previous seasons that the octane went from Premium to Regular.

Earlier seasons bounced around rapidly between several wild, intriguing sub-plots -almost dizzying.
S4 seemed to slow down a bit, featuring more cutting horses and ranch/riding stuff along with the intrigue.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Watched the first episode of Netflix's Our Great National Parks documentary series narrated by Barack Obama. I would say very good with excellent views of animal and nature scenes. We have a 5+ year old TV, but even without 4K the photography is stunning.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81086133
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

S1 of "Call My Agent" on Netflix. OK to stop reading if "closed captions" are a deal breaker for you.
I passed on watching "Emily in Paris" based on the trailer where I figured I was too far out of the demographic to enjoy. However DW watched the whole series and enjoyed it. I saw CMA and wanted to try it out, but knowing that it has 5 seasons entirely CC, I figured it would have to be really good to watch that long of a time commitment without DW, who spends all day in front of her work screen and doesn't really care much for CC after her business day.
She was doing her nightly puzzles as I watched E2, and she spotted right away that one of the characters was also in EIP and she heard me laughing so much that she started watching it with me. We both found it to be "really good" and plan on knocking off a season a week for the next month.
Sort of an "Entourage" or "30 Rock" story line, except taking place in Paris. Every episode evolves around an actual French actor/ess. Writing is very witty, storylines and situations to laugh at and a bunch of quirky, flawed yet really likable agents lying to themselves and others to service their clients. Many very Gallic personal situations to laugh about.
I will caution that the CC does move about as quickly as I have ever seen in a series, but I found myself getting used to it, with the occasional jump back to either see the scene or the CC.
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

Slow Horses on Apple TV+. Spy thriller / comedy. Loved it.
Blues

Post by Blues »

GreendaleCC wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:32 pm Slow Horses on Apple TV+. Spy thriller / comedy. Loved it.
We enjoyed it as well. Big Gary Oldman fans...ever since "State of Grace" back in 1990. He's a true chameleon and one of the very best actors of his generation.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

Ozark season 4 part 2. Overall we enjoyed the series, great acting by many in the cast. Glad the Byrde's aren't my neighbor. :shock:
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Conch55 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:45 am Ozark season 4 part 2. Overall we enjoyed the series, great acting by many in the cast. Glad the Byrde's aren't my neighbor. :shock:
We're on the 3rd episode of part 2. Interested to see how it all wraps up.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

stoptothink wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:08 am
Conch55 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:45 am Ozark season 4 part 2. Overall we enjoyed the series, great acting by many in the cast. Glad the Byrde's aren't my neighbor. :shock:
We're on the 3rd episode of part 2. Interested to see how it all wraps up.
I’m waiting for the spin-off Better Call Ruth.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Better Call Saul Season 5, on Netflix. It's nearly as good as the first 4 seasons.

Ozark Season 4, part 2, will be next.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JPM

Post by JPM »

Another vote here for "Candice Renoir" a clever police procedural cum wry comedy in French with good idiomatic subtitles. You don't need French to get the jokes. The star is a terrific comic actress playing a lead police detective. The jokes are often on her. Set in a provincial coastal French town, the town is not particularly pretty as photographed in this series.

Murder in Provence is OK, it's in English and the stars are middle-aged British actors familiar to fans of PBS or Acorn watchers. Provence is a costar and photographs beautifully, worth watching just for that IMO. The interiors and some of the exteriors were done on a set in Britain, but they are beautiful too.

Paris Murders also in French with subtitles. Paris itself is the most beautiful costar here. It's OK, better than OK if you miss Paris.
peppers

Post by peppers »

Ozark

Binged second half of season 4 and ....... I will be kind and no spoilers.
I had a hunch on who was calling the "shots" and I was right.
Overall, I enjoyed it.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

The Staircase on HBO Max. Another version of the story that was a Netflix docuseries many years ago as well as a couple episodes of Dateline (NBC crime drama series) about a supposed murder in Durham NC. Colin Firth and Toni Collette in the leading rolls
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Death In Paradise season 11, on Netflix.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ruralavalon wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:47 pm Death In Paradise season 11, on Netflix.
I think it is only on BritBox.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Ozark” on Netflix. The final episodes.

Best.
Tony
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:36 am Better Call Saul Season 5, on Netflix. It's nearly as good as the first 4 seasons.

Ozark Season 4, part 2, will be next.
Both of these are excellent. :beer
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

Dexter: New Blood - Good overall but those season finales... :twisted:
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

roamingzebra wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:55 pm Only two more eps of "Breaking Bad". The last few eps have been inTENSE. I'm going to miss this show but will eventually segue into "Better Call Saul".

I remember thinking all the teenage-like enthusiasm I saw around the Net for BB meant it was a bunch of car chases and so on. Boy was I dead wrong. It's not hyperbole to say BB is probably the best TV series ever created.

As for Saul, this is the first time I've seen a corrupt lawyer on TV who I found not only likeable but amusing. He's no Walter or Jesse, but he's interesting enough to follow onto the new show.
BB is one of my favorite all-time shows (along with the Sopranos and The Wire). Better Call Saul is much mire of a slow build and I know a number of people who stopped watching early on. It really doesn't hit its stride in my opinion until a couple of seasons in. But the last few seasons have been really good (5&6).
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Blue Bloods season finale. Watching it for years.

Best.
Tony
Tundrama

Post by Tundrama »

dbCooperAir wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:32 pm [This thread has been updated to include TV shows from any streaming source - Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, DirecTV, etc. If it is considered a "show", meaning more than one episode, post it here.

Otherwise, movies from any source (DVD, streaming, seen in person, etc.) should be posted in What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Please mention how you saw the show (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc.).

To keep this on topic, please include whether you would recommend it in your replies - admin LadyGeek]

I see many Bogleheads have and use Netflix.

I have had Netflix for many years, at times I feel I'm not getting my money out it as its not being used, sometime months on end. Netflix has a ton of content, but for me finding the content sometimes is challenge. As an example I'm sure I'm missing old classic movies/shows just because I have no idea what they are.

To help all us fellow Bogleheads get the most bang for our dollars out of Netflix how about we start a Netflix show list.

I just ask that you give the title and genre + any other comments
‘Afterlife’…Because in the very end, so much of the crap we focus on and worry about will matter less than watching a humming bird drink the sucrose of a beautiful Spring flower.

Stars Ricky Gervais
Netflix
Wife passes from cancer. He battles everyday for an excuse not to end things. If you’ve been there, much to real!

I’ve watched the series twice and it still kicks my butt! If you have an aging parent, it will wake you up.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:45 pm I don't want to spoil anything for you, but Peter Gunn gets knocked in the head in practically every single episode. He must have had over a hundred concussions!
Still whittling my way through the Peter Gunn episodes. Just started on season 2. You are correct, he gets into a fistfight in every episode. But he never even has to unbutton his suit!! No rips, tears or anything! Kinda like how Matt Dillon's hat never came off his head, no matter how many licks were passed between him and the bad guys.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

Outer Range on Prime Video. Not sure what to say about this one.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

abuss368 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:39 pm Blue Bloods season finale. Watching it for years.

Best.
Tony
Thanks for mentioning that! I only very rarely watch any cop/detective shows on my own, too formulaic in my opinion. However, I'm going to have to watch this. My father passed away in 2020, and he loved all those shows all his life, from Banacek to Kojak to Hill Street Blues to NCIS to Blue Bloods, which I have probably seen about 30 episodes from several seasons just by visiting with him at Christmastime for many years. It's good and I would like to know how it ends!
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

tooluser wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:31 pm
abuss368 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:39 pm Blue Bloods season finale. Watching it for years.

Best.
Tony
Thanks for mentioning that! I only very rarely watch any cop/detective shows on my own, too formulaic in my opinion. However, I'm going to have to watch this. My father passed away in 2020, and he loved all those shows all his life, from Banacek to Kojak to Hill Street Blues to NCIS to Blue Bloods, which I have probably seen about 30 episodes from several seasons just by visiting with him at Christmastime for many years. It's good and I would like to know how it ends!
Always liked Tom Selleck. Donnie Wahlberg plays a good character too.

Best.
Tony
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

abuss368 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:27 pm Always liked Tom Selleck.
Always liked Tom Selleck's mustachioed upper lip. By far the most expressive part of the actor :D
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

"Bosch:Legacy" on Prime/Freevee
"We Own This City" on HBOMax
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Conch55 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:11 pm Outer Range on Prime Video. Not sure what to say about this one.
We've watched the first 2 episodes; exact same response.
Johndoefire65

Post by Johndoefire65 »

stoptothink wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:16 am
Conch55 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:11 pm Outer Range on Prime Video. Not sure what to say about this one.
We've watched the first 2 episodes; exact same response.
I love outer range. But I'm also a sci-fi/thriller type of person. I find normal tv shows boring... Maybe some people go into this with the mindset that it's just another fictional ranch show.

Anyone catch Super Mansion on Amazon prime? It's very funny.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Started Tehran Season 2. I liked the first season. It is about an Israeli hacker/spy trying to destroy an Iranian nuclear reactor. On Apple TV+.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Finished season 6 of The Expanse. Sad to have finished the series. I would have liked to have seen a few more seasons. They did leave some plot elements unfinished so here's hoping.

Started season 1 of Picard. Eh. Mediocre all around - the writing, acting, character development. We'll finish it out, not because I'm a hard-core Star Trek fan, but because it provides just enough entertainment value.
peppers

Post by peppers »

Outer Range

A sci fi neo western ? I don't know what else to say.
Overall we thought it was ok, but there are a few plot twists left unresolved.
Viewed on Amazon Prime.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
Blues

Post by Blues »

peppers wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:00 am Outer Range

A sci fi neo western ? I don't know what else to say.
Overall we thought it was ok, but there are a few plot twists left unresolved.
Viewed on Amazon Prime.
Agree with you.

We watched it. It had some moments, but on the whole, it was disjointed and not fully satisfactory. Too many gaping holes left unfilled.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

abuss368 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:27 pm
tooluser wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:31 pm

Best.
Tony
Always liked Tom Selleck. Donnie Wahlberg plays a good character too.

Best.
Tony
I havent watched it in many years but I used too. It is kind of interesting how it has a broad appeal, I can watch and so can my 85 year old mom. It does follow a general CBS writers formula of good eventually winning over evil ( Madam Secretary for instance) but has good acting, decent subplots and interesting characters.

Who knew a guy from new kids on the block would save NYC about 10 times a season. NYC has about 36,000 cops but somehow Donnie consistently gets a leg up on all of them.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I haven’t watched as much lately and am really struggling to find things I want to watch. I’d like to cancel Prime it has become so bad. Still occasionally find some content on Netflix. I never watch Hulu other than Handmaids tale. Apple TV (on a promo) has pretty much been a fail on anything I’ve tried. HBO is usually good for a series or two but nothing particularly of interest.

Watched the close out of Ozark. I thought it ended well and appropriately.

Watched a couple of episodes of Anatomy of a Scandal on Netflix. I probably won’t continue. Too slow and the plot is only moderately interesting.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We gave "Hacks" a try yesterday evening.

We recognize that we have in the past ditched a series too early, and thanks sometimes to comments here on BH, we've gone back and ended up enjoying a series 'til the end after all.

Because of the above, we did not stop at Episode 1. Or 2.
But after Episode 3, we were pretty annoyed that we had kept going even that far.

It seems I disliked it more than DH did. I especially did not like the younger of the two main female characters. I just couldn't stand her, and it got worse, not better, as it continued.
It was one of those "started to dislike the actor, not just the character", and that kept getting worse, too. We've only had that happen strongly a very few times before. (That may actually be a plus for the actor's acting abilities, perhaps, or... perhaps not!?)

We are eagerly awaiting the next season of Borgen in about 2 weeks!
That's been a remarkable series in so many ways. :happy
We certainly hope they are able to continue in kind.

A while ago, we went through some time enjoying opera, ballet, and classical music (orchestral, solos, chamber, etc.) videos, including full performances as well as spectacular snippets and biographical material.
We may be returning to more of those for a while.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:16 pm Started Tehran Season 2. I liked the first season. It is about an Israeli hacker/spy trying to destroy an Iranian nuclear reactor. On Apple TV+.
+100
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

JBTX wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:20 pmWatched the close out of Ozark. I thought it ended well and appropriately.
I thought it was a really solid ending, my wife HATED it.

We're currently watching "Candy" on Hulu. Ehhh, it's an interesting (based on a true) story, but the show is just OK.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

stoptothink wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:22 am
JBTX wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:20 pmWatched the close out of Ozark. I thought it ended well and appropriately.
I thought it was a really solid ending, my wife HATED it.

We're currently watching "Candy" on Hulu. Ehhh, it's an interesting (based on a true) story, but the show is just OK.
I agree it was a solid ending, but I can understand you wife’s reaction. No spoilers, but I was saddened by the inevitable.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Just finishing S1 of “El Presidente” on Amazon Prime. In Spanish with subtitles and voice over, it tells the story of FIFA gate and exposes the sleazy bribe driven world of South American Football, or soccer to us “gringo’s” a term used freely in the series.
Not for everyone, but I enjoyed it and surprisingly found some of the characters likable in a Sopranos kind of way. It’s not a documentary per sae, but it follows a real timeline for the World Cup goings on around 2015 when the scandal broke and how it broke.