Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sandtrap

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Post by Sandtrap »

TnGuy wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:27 am
Sandtrap wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:50 am You are "the""""" bird photographer"!!!

Do they sing?
I'm certainly not the photographer. I just search to find nice pics on the net.

Here is the song of the Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

David
Aloha
That is beautiful.
Quicker and more repetitive but sounds similar to the Arizona Meadowlark, slow and casual, but melodic in similar tones.

Huge thanks.
Birds are there to keep us company and over watch.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:44 am Beautiful song. Reminds me of the American Robin but I'm sure the ornithologists know the difference
Not as raspy as a Robin or Blue Grosbeak.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

jebmke wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:50 am
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:44 am Beautiful song. Reminds me of the American Robin but I'm sure the ornithologists know the difference
Not as raspy as a Robin or Blue Grosbeak.
Great ear! Birding is a life-long hobby so I have a lot to learn. :beer
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Recent addition is a nest just up the hill from our house of Barred Owls. The Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoooo Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoooooo is easy to identify and extremely loud. We've been seeing the 2 adults flying from the nest and perching nearby the house. Good to know mice and chipmunks are going to be going down in population.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:10 am Great ear! Birding is a life-long hobby so I have a lot to learn.
Learning the sounds was long process. When I was first starting out I would be out with real experienced birders and they would be walking along saying "there is an xyz" .... "that was an abc" etc. Around my area, in the spring, in some places, 75% of the identification is by sound. It can be frustrating. My wife is much better at it than I am but gradually I am getting better. Hampered by hearing impairment and tinnitus.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

TnGuy wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:56 pm Just had two of these fellows (Rose-breasted Grosbeak) at one of our feeders.
We're seeing those here in East Tennessee as well.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:03 pm
TnGuy wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:56 pm Just had two of these fellows (Rose-breasted Grosbeak) at one of our feeders.
We're seeing those here in East Tennessee as well.
They flood up through Va, WVa, and Pa so not surprised you see them too. In the mountains of Virginia in early May they (and Scarlet Tanagers) are practically dripping out of the trees -- they make the trees look like Christmas trees. It is magical up there in the first half of May with all the warblers and other migrants flooding through. We get a few over here near the coast but not nearly as many.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Last spring we had what seemed like a plague of rabbits. Not too many now, but red tailed hawks in abundance. That in turn has led to mobbing. It is interesting to watch a hawk being mobbed by a much smaller bird or a flock. The common mobbers are crows and gray catbirds.
“To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one’s Mother’s side, is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Country, and a Benediction from Above.”—Anonymous
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

jebmke wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:38 am
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:10 am Great ear! Birding is a life-long hobby so I have a lot to learn.
Learning the sounds was long process. When I was first starting out I would be out with real experienced birders and they would be walking along saying "there is an xyz" .... "that was an abc" etc. Around my area, in the spring, in some places, 75% of the identification is by sound. It can be frustrating. My wife is much better at it than I am but gradually I am getting better. Hampered by hearing impairment and tinnitus.
Yes, I just think it takes a lot of practice over time. It probably helps with one's hearing to work on bird sound ID IMO. Many high notes.

I know some birders don't like to "call" birds with recorded sounds but I did it as an experiment with Blue Jays recently and they quickly came to my deck when I played their song off Merlin. So interesting.
:happy
joe3411

Post by joe3411 »

I've been in my house in the New England suburbs for 10 years, but this is the time I have seen osprey and bald eagles in our neighborhood. Quite a sight to see a pair of eagles flying over the backyard. Red tailed hawks in abundance as well as cardinals, bluebirds, and the occasional goldfinch.
sevenseas

Post by sevenseas »

Broad-winged hawk; most often seen circling high overhead when I'm in my backyard and I'd previously made a tentative ID using the Merlin app (based on vocalizations). The other day, one came down and perched low enough in a tree that I could confirm visually as well. A real treat!

Also saw the first hummer at the feeder today, a sight which always gladdens my heart.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

sevenseas wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:32 pm Broad-winged hawk; most often seen circling high overhead when I'm in my backyard and I'd previously made a tentative ID using the Merlin app (based on vocalizations). The other day, one came down and perched low enough in a tree that I could confirm visually as well. A real treat!

Also saw the first hummer at the feeder today, a sight which always gladdens my heart.
Nice! I saw my 2nd hummer today. :beer
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

Any red headed woodpecker sightings? I've had a few visiting my bird feeder in years past, but nothing yet this year. It has grown to be my favorite bird and I'm a little pessimistic in regards to my chances of seeing "Red" again each summer morning while I have coffee.
pomomojo

Post by pomomojo »

I had the opportunity to spend a little time along the Central California coast. I went birding/photographing with my wife in the morning, and spent time with my elderly parents in the afternoon/evenings. Luckily, we stay in a wildlife rich area. Here are a few highlights:

The Snowy Plover is a near threatened shore bird that nests in the dunes along the California coast. They are pressured primarily due to a loss of habitat. I was able enjoy watching two pairs pick out nest spots.

Black Bellied Plover male in breeding plumage

The most iconic migration species along the Eastern seaboard, the West Coast is also home to a Red Knot subspecies. I rarely have the opportunity to photograph these birds in the wild. For those of you living in New Jersey and Delaware, the East Coast population usually peaks around Memorial Day.

Black necked stilts feeding in salt flats. I hoping to achieve the same shot with American Avocets. I'm still pretty happy with the stilts

Whimbrel feeding along the water

Anna's Hummingbird

Last edited by pomomojo on Wed May 04, 2022 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
agbp

Post by agbp »

What a treat to see your wonderful photos! Thank you for posting them.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

pomomojo: thanks for the great photos above. :beer
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

pomomojo wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:41 pm I had the opportunity to spend a little time along the Central California coast. I went birding/photographing with my wife in the morning, and spent time with my elderly parents in the afternoon/evenings. Luckily, we stay in a wildlife rich area. Here are a few highlights:

The Snowy Plover is a near threatened shore bird that nests in the dunes along the California coast. They are pressured primarily due to a loss of habitat. I was able enjoy watching two pairs pick out nest spots.

Black Bellied Plover male in breeding plumage

The most iconic migration species along the Eastern seaboard, the West Coast is also home to a Red Knot subspecies. I rarely have the opportunity to photograph these birds in the wild. For those of you living in New Jersey and Delaware, the East Coast population usually peaks around Memorial Day.

Black necked stilts feeding in salt flats. I hoping to achieve the same shot with American Avocets. I'm still pretty happy with the stilts

Whimbrel feeding along the water

Anna's Hummingbird

Very nice shots!
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Lots and lots of Robins
sevenseas

Post by sevenseas »

health teacher wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:22 pm Any red headed woodpecker sightings? I've had a few visiting my bird feeder in years past, but nothing yet this year. It has grown to be my favorite bird and I'm a little pessimistic in regards to my chances of seeing "Red" again each summer morning while I have coffee.
My backyard is full of woodpeckers but I've never seen this handsome bird and have always wondered why. In checking the maps, their range seems patchy in my area (SE NY state). I also read that, sadly, their population has been in decline due to habitat loss. I hope that you have plenty of sightings this year!
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

sevenseas wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:28 pm
health teacher wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:22 pm Any red headed woodpecker sightings? I've had a few visiting my bird feeder in years past, but nothing yet this year. It has grown to be my favorite bird and I'm a little pessimistic in regards to my chances of seeing "Red" again each summer morning while I have coffee.
My backyard is full of woodpeckers but I've never seen this handsome bird and have always wondered why. In checking the maps, their range seems patchy in my area (SE NY state). I also read that, sadly, their population has been in decline due to habitat loss. I hope that you have plenty of sightings this year!
I'm in NJ and we have a few pairs around - seem to like marshy areas. Very loud calls. I was at Lord Stirling Park in NJ along the Passaic River last spring and had 3 at same time flying and vocalizing along the river. There was another pair about 8 miles west of me here in Morris County.
Striking black and white wings in flight
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Gray Catbird was checking the shrubs in our yard today
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

I just saw this cool Kestrel cam in the Great Salt Lake area. Looks like around 4-5 chicks in the nest box. The smallest falcon in N. America.

Through the Nature Conservancy.

https://www.nature.org/en-us/about-us/w ... unv#link00
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

GG1273 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:11 pm
I'm in NJ and we have a few pairs around - seem to like marshy areas. Very loud calls. I was at Lord Stirling Park in NJ along the Passaic River last spring and had 3 at same time flying and vocalizing along the river. There was another pair about 8 miles west of me here in Morris County.
Happy to report "Red" returned to the bird feeder today. A very striking bird indeed.
sevenseas

Post by sevenseas »

health teacher wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:14 pm
GG1273 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:11 pm
Happy to report "Red" returned to the bird feeder today. A very striking bird indeed.
That's great news! :)
brandy

Post by brandy »

Indianapolis, Indiana. A Great Blue Heron has been wading in the retention pond behind the house over the last 2 weeks, robins, wrens, Northern Cardinals, and yesterday a Prothonotary Warbler spent a few minutes in our trees. A hawk flew over the pond, too. Haven't seen a hummingbird yet... :(
stickman731

Post by stickman731 »

brandy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:06 am Indianapolis, Indiana. A Great Blue Heron has been wading in the retention pond behind the house over the last 2 weeks, robins, wrens, Northern Cardinals, and yesterday a Prothonotary Warbler spent a few minutes in our trees. A hawk flew over the pond, too. Haven't seen a hummingbird yet... :(

I finally seen some hummingbirds on the feeders yesterday. I was surprised because Journey North had them spotted in my area for the last month. - https://journeynorth.org
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Warblers are active this week all up and down the peninsula

Blue-Wing
Golden-Wing (first for me)
Black-throated Green
Cape May
Prairie
Kentucky (nests in the area so easy to find)
Northern Waterthrush
Yellow

plus a lot of the usual ones spotted last month are still around (B&W, Worm-eating, Parula, Prothonotary, Louisiana Waterthrush, Yellow-throated).

Chats and fly-catchers (except GC) still not very active around here. Strong NE wind this weekend will probably slow things down.

Orioles and Tanagers are back in the area as are Vireos

Shorebirds are starting to filter in as well.
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

Heard the Wood Thrush singing for the first time this season in our backwoods. Its song is at the top of my birdsong list.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

TnGuy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:30 pm Heard the Wood Thrush singing for the first time this season in our backwoods. Its song is at the top of my birdsong list.
These guys are prevalent in late April and early May around here in the deep woods. Especially early in the season before the full "dawn chorus" is a daily event, it is neat to walk in the woods and hear them sing; a magical flutist drawing you deep into the woods.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

TnGuy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:30 pm Image

Heard the Wood Thrush singing for the first time this season in our backwoods. Its song is at the top of my birdsong list.

David
Yes, a beautiful song.
Chip

Post by Chip »

At a county park this week:

Prothonotary Warbler
Kentucky Warbler
Prairie Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Bay-breasted Warbler
Cape May Warbler
Cerulean Warbler
Blue-winged Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler
American Redstart
Yellow-breasted Chat

Wood Thrush
Swainson's Thrush

Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Baltimore Oriole
Orchard Oriole

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Red-eyed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
Blue-headed Vireo
White-eyed Vireo
Eastern Towhee
Indigo Bunting

I've been hearing Black-throated Green Warblers near my house but haven't put eyes on one yet.
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

Had a new bird checking out the feeder, a Brown Thrasher. Some accomplished songster was running through a mimicking repertoire outside my window this afternoon; I assumed it was a mockingbird, but on reading up, the brown thrasher mimicks too.

He was not much interested in the bird feeder but he did get a drink of water.

Now that I know he is around I'll see if I can't get some foods he might eat. Cornell says hulled sunflower seeds, cracked corn, and peanut hearts.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Baltimore Orioles. Two males have been hanging around the oak canopy for a few days singing. Came down to the crook holding the Hummer food a couple of times but doesn't seem interested in the fresh orange. I don't think they nest here so not sure why they stick around so long in the spring. Maybe check-in time for their summer stay isn't until later this month. Nice bird to have around the house though.
stilts1007

Post by stilts1007 »

This year I decided I would make a point to try and take pictures of as many species as I could while out hiking. I don't have a nice camera so it's strictly a smartphone-through-binoculars endeavor. As of today I'm up to 120 species photgraphed (out of 214 observed total on my life list). Obviously I'm not getting top-notch pictures with my setup, but it's been a fun challenge, and it's given me a newfound respect for photographers out there taking such great shots.

I was excited to finally get a picture of a Sora today; I stalked this guy for 20 minutes waiting for it to come out of the reeds.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

An unusual sighting today, one family of 12 Canadian Goslings, maybe 4 days old, seen on my morning walk at a lake park. Most common are 4-6, with an occasional an 8.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

stilts1007 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:32 pm This year I decided I would make a point to try and take pictures of as many species as I could while out hiking. I don't have a nice camera so it's strictly a smartphone-through-binoculars endeavor. As of today I'm up to 120 species photgraphed (out of 214 observed total on my life list). Obviously I'm not getting top-notch pictures with my setup, but it's been a fun challenge, and it's given me a newfound respect for photographers out there taking such great shots.

I was excited to finally get a picture of a Sora today; I stalked this guy for 20 minutes waiting for it to come out of the reeds.

Oh wow! Cool! This bird (SORA) comes to the marshes near my house every summer and I hear it all the time after dark and have still never seen it. I think it is a shy bird and I was listening to the call on the Cornell site recently.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Sora/sounds

CALLS
The most commonly heard call is a descending whinny that lasts 2–3 seconds. The loud and boisterous whinny echoes across wetlands from spring through summer. Males and females whinny to defend their territory and to keep in touch with each other. They also give a 2-noted ker-wee or sor-ah where the second note rises in pitch, either singly or before giving a descending whinny.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

RetiredAL wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:42 pm An unusual sighting today, one family of 12 Canadian Goslings, maybe 4 days old, seen on my morning walk at a lake park. Most common are 4-6, with an occasional an 8.
:beer
stilts1007

Post by stilts1007 »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:47 pm
Oh wow! Cool! This bird (SORA) comes to the marshes near my house every summer and I hear it all the time after dark and have still never seen it. I think it is a shy bird and I was listening to the call on the Cornell site recently.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Sora/sounds

CALLS
The most commonly heard call is a descending whinny that lasts 2–3 seconds. The loud and boisterous whinny echoes across wetlands from spring through summer. Males and females whinny to defend their territory and to keep in touch with each other. They also give a 2-noted ker-wee or sor-ah where the second note rises in pitch, either singly or before giving a descending whinny.
Yeah they are sneaky little guys. I heard a couple in a marshy area at the forest preserve near me but only caught a couple glimpses and I wasn't quick enough to line up a picture. Finally got this one just as I was about to give up and go home.

One of the strangest-looking birds I've ever seen, it's like a weird hyperactive green-legged swamp chicken.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TnGuy wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:27 am Here is the song of the Rose-breasted Grosbeak.
Their song is not only beautiful, but the spectrogram of its song is very interesting, many different "bird words" but they are used over again. Wonder what the bird saying? Nature is so incredible :happy
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Baltimore Oriole finally came down to the backyard feeder this morning. Two males in the tree canopy.

Up at Susquehanna SP yesterday there were at least a dozen and several Orchards.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

jebmke wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:24 am Baltimore Oriole finally came down to the backyard feeder this morning. Two males in the tree canopy.

Up at Susquehanna SP yesterday there were at least a dozen and several Orchards.
Beautiful!
cheezit

Post by cheezit »

At the house I'm moving out of, I spotted a northern flicker hopping around on the ground in the back yard yesterday. We only seem to get them for a brief window of time in the spring in my neck of the woods.

At the house I'm moving into, a red-bellied woodpecker keeps showing up in one of the trees. I hope he's a year-round resident - at the old place we got almost exclusively downies.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sflkAk1Vgk

whelp they've lost two of the chicks ;-(

Its been miserable here in Mid Atlantic, not sure if they were getting enough food???
Sagefemme

Post by Sagefemme »

I'm dying to see a Sora. The call is so distinctive you can't help but know they are about. But so secretive! There were two calling to each other the other day when I was out, they sounded very close but absolutely invisible.
pomomojo

Post by pomomojo »

I finally had time to search for Northeast migrants. I found mostly local birds who spend their spring and summers in NJ.

As mentioned above, the wood thrush is a favorite for their melodic tune. I heard at least three or four this morning.

I started birdwatching with my wife around 3-4 years ago. For most bird watchers, migratory warblers are like the playoffs in a major sports league--it's exciting, the entire affair lasts under a month, and you are bound to be disappointed ("just missed the perfect photo or species"). I began with common species--Yellowthroat, Yellow Warbler, and Yellow Rumped, and have gradually sought out targeted species. Kudos to NJ Audubon members who helped me learn specific habitats and even birds. Here are some of my recent finds:

Ovenbird

Worm Eating Warbler

Prairie Warbler

...and I had the pleasure of watching two pairs of Rose Breasted Grosbeaks

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

^pomomojo:

Thanks for posting the great photos! :beer
Caligal

Post by Caligal »

Today we saw a Black Headed Grosbeak - almost mistaken for a spotted towhee until we looked it up.

Red tail hawk next about 100 yards from home, fun to watch and listen (they are loud!) and lots of crows in the neighborhood unhappy!

California Quail love the seeds my DH throws out and right now they are paired up. Saw chicks a couple of weeks ago but none since.

House finches, Lesser finches, Chickadees galore with the feeders up. A pair of Anna's Hummingbirds and others that get chased away from the feeder and the salvia garden.

California Towhees with juveniles in tow - lots of screeching for now while they follow the adults around.

Endless mourning doves and turkeys.

Sad but "that's nature" was the Coopers Hawk that chased a dove into our window and took off with it after it fell stunned to the deck.

Thanks for the photos that have been posted! Beautiful birds and photography.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Caligal wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:54 pm Today we saw a Black Headed Grosbeak - almost mistaken for a spotted towhee until we looked it up.
This bird is very rare in my neck of the woods. We had one in an adjacent county in 2020. Nice bird to get.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Millington NWR - Kent Co this morning

10 Kentucky Warblers - the most we've heard here
3 Yellow-billed Cuckoos
Too many Acadian Flycatchers to count
2 Yellow-Breasted Chats.

a lot of the usual suspects as well