403b rule of 55 - previous employers

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
dred pirate

403b rule of 55 - previous employers

Post by dred pirate »

I have a question about the rule off 55 in your 403b account from previous employers.
Example. I have a 403b and change companies at the age of 52. I roll over my previous 403b into a new employer's 403b. I stay with that company until 56. Can I withdraw only the contributions made while employed with company b, or can I withdraw the entire amount? (whether or not this is a smart thing is a whole other debate- but trying to figure out if I will mess up plans to retire early if I change jobs later in my career.

Thanks

DP
OhBoyUhoh

Re: 403b rule of 55 - previous employers

Post by OhBoyUhoh »

Pretty sure it is all available to you after post 55 separation. Once you rolled it in from the previous employer it's now a part of the newest 403b. All of it , no caveats.

Edit: you are then subject to the new 403b's rules. For ex my rules state one time distribution only.
I had money, and I had none. I had money, and I had none. But I never been so broke that I couldn't leave town. (Jim, Ray, Robby, John)