Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MadHungarian
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:53 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by MadHungarian »

On the plus side, the Fe$tool TS 75 Tracksaw is finally available again!
Of course it's not like i can afford any lumber, to cut with my new tracksaw. Or the gas to pick up that lumber. But who worries about little details like that...
User avatar
tooluser
Posts: 1189
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by tooluser »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:55 pm Frozen Brussels sprouts.
Such a shame. I grew up on those. I had never seen a fresh Brussels sprout until I left home and moved 2000 miles away. I have always liked them, but fresh are better and more versatile. A 2-pound bag is regularly available at Costco!

Around me there has been a shortage of pre-prepared frozen breakfast items for the past year or so. They are never completely out of all of them, but the shelves are always only half full. I don't buy many of these, but it's jarring to walk down a fully stocked freezer aisle that is always half empty in that one spot.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
MrWasabi65
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:42 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by MrWasabi65 »

magnesium glycerophosphate - as far as I can tell, only manufactured by one company located in France. Before 2021, was stocked at many grocery and drugstore chains - now, not to be found
Mudpuppy
Posts: 6871
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:26 am
Location: Sunny California

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Mudpuppy »

tooluser wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:17 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:55 pm Frozen Brussels sprouts.
Such a shame. I grew up on those. I had never seen a fresh Brussels sprout until I left home and moved 2000 miles away. I have always liked them, but fresh are better and more versatile. A 2-pound bag is regularly available at Costco!

Around me there has been a shortage of pre-prepared frozen breakfast items for the past year or so. They are never completely out of all of them, but the shelves are always only half full. I don't buy many of these, but it's jarring to walk down a fully stocked freezer aisle that is always half empty in that one spot.
On the Brussels sprouts, fresh on the stalk supposedly tastes even better and lasts a bit longer, but I rarely see that option in the store except during the holidays at Trader Joe's, which coincides with the prime harvesting season. Of course, they take up more space when on the stalk, so that's probably why they sell the sprouts without the stalks most of the time. Still, it would be nice to see, as it's supposed to have far more benefits. I also think kids would find Brussels sprouts a lot more fun and interesting if they saw them on the stalk prior to being cooked.

On the frozen breakfast items, I hear you. It took ages for my local stores to get the regular sized Eggo frozen pancakes back in stock. The other brand of frozen pancakes was very dry and the Eggo mini pancakes are just more annoying to me than "fun sized". I finally found the regular size the other week and had to restrain myself to buy a single box, so I didn't take up all the freezer space with Eggo boxes.
coalcracker
Posts: 897
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by coalcracker »

Iodinated contrast agents (used for CT scans and cardiac caths) have been affected by production shutdowns in China. My hospital system is, quite literally, rationing our remaining supply. I've been getting daily calls asking if it's OK to skip contrast injection on a CT in which it would normally be used. We are doing emergency CT scans without contrast whenever possible.

Supposedly production will resume sometime in June, but at least our healthcare system will be very low or out of contrast before then. I'm not holding my breath. This will have a negative impact on patient care, if it hasn't already.
homebuyer6426
Posts: 409
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:08 am

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Still can't find the cheaper and more delicious white grapefruit juice at my grocery store. Used to drink that by the gallon, but the red stuff doesn't taste good to me.

But, the inflatable pool I've bought several times is finally down from it's ridiculous 4x price rise. Ordering one today while I still can. Much cheaper than air conditioning, and more relaxing!
Atgard
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:02 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Atgard »

homebuyer6426 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:41 am Still can't find the cheaper and more delicious white grapefruit juice at my grocery store. Used to drink that by the gallon, but the red stuff doesn't taste good to me.

But, the inflatable pool I've bought several times is finally down from it's ridiculous 4x price rise. Ordering one today while I still can. Much cheaper than air conditioning, and more relaxing!
I noticed anything relating to above-ground pools (including vacuums, leaf skimmers, etc.) was marked up to, as you say, 4x normal price for a while in Summer 2020. Not sure if it had anything to do with a shortage, or just legalized price gouging.
jadedfalcons
Posts: 239
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:55 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by jadedfalcons »

Atgard wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:05 am
homebuyer6426 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:41 am Still can't find the cheaper and more delicious white grapefruit juice at my grocery store. Used to drink that by the gallon, but the red stuff doesn't taste good to me.

But, the inflatable pool I've bought several times is finally down from it's ridiculous 4x price rise. Ordering one today while I still can. Much cheaper than air conditioning, and more relaxing!
I noticed anything relating to above-ground pools (including vacuums, leaf skimmers, etc.) was marked up to, as you say, 4x normal price for a while in Summer 2020. Not sure if it had anything to do with a shortage, or just legalized price gouging.
It was price gouging. I'm far from an authority figure on pool stuff, but I do have a 10' section of pool supplies at the end of one of my lawn & garden aisles. Supplies are still really short, but cost hasn't really gone up all that much in the last three years.

A fantastic example is a Royal Canin Bulldog food I sell for $81.99 a bag. I'm out of stock (pork shortage.) Chewy has it for $93.99 a bag. Out of stock as well. There's a third party seller on Amazon selling it. $158.23. In stock. Guess you can get what you want if somebody wants it bad enough and you're the only one who has it...
Mudpuppy
Posts: 6871
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:26 am
Location: Sunny California

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Mudpuppy »

jadedfalcons wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:22 am A fantastic example is a Royal Canin Bulldog food I sell for $81.99 a bag. I'm out of stock (pork shortage.) Chewy has it for $93.99 a bag. Out of stock as well. There's a third party seller on Amazon selling it. $158.23. In stock. Guess you can get what you want if somebody wants it bad enough and you're the only one who has it...
In this particular situation, I'd be concerned about not just price gouging, but selling expired, near-expired, damaged, or counterfeit goods. But then I'm very reluctant to buy anything consumption-related (food, supplements, etc.) from Amazon unless it ships directly from the manufacturer. The storage conditions alone are variable enough to make me reluctant (I've received hair conditioner where the oils had gone rancid from Amazon repeatedly in the past), much less the counterfeit concerns.
DVMResident
Posts: 1693
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by DVMResident »

coalcracker wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:00 am Iodinated contrast agents (used for CT scans and cardiac caths) have been affected by production shutdowns in China. My hospital system is, quite literally, rationing our remaining supply. I've been getting daily calls asking if it's OK to skip contrast injection on a CT in which it would normally be used. We are doing emergency CT scans without contrast whenever possible.

Supposedly production will resume sometime in June, but at least our healthcare system will be very low or out of contrast before then. I'm not holding my breath. This will have a negative impact on patient care, if it hasn't already.
CT contrast agent shortage is hitting our group as well. Really painful.

It’s reminds me of the saline shortage a few years back. I was just in shock and thinking “how did we run out of salt water?” Signs of saline shortage are coming back. Our supply chains depend on such few and specialized suppliers in ways I can’t comprehend.
likegarden
Posts: 3143
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by likegarden »

I always go shopping at Walmart for our family of 4 adults and notice a shortage of facial tissue boxes. Last time I saw several large size ones on metal shelf 4 and climbed up there in spite of my arthritis. It seems that labor can not be found easily, causing shipping problems. One day there was only a single employee here at one McDonalds.
Sagefemme
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:31 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Sagefemme »

Infant formula! I read that parents are diluting the powdered formula to make it go further, and driving hours to try to get formula. This is truly alarming.
stoptothink
Posts: 11507
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by stoptothink »

Sagefemme wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:16 pm Infant formula! I read that parents are diluting the powdered formula to make it go further, and driving hours to try to get formula. This is truly alarming.
I've heard some horror stories. Apparently stores are beginning to put baby formula behind locked counters because theft is getting out of control.
Sagefemme
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:31 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Sagefemme »

stoptothink wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:18 am
Sagefemme wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:16 pm Infant formula! I read that parents are diluting the powdered formula to make it go further, and driving hours to try to get formula. This is truly alarming.
I've heard some horror stories. Apparently stores are beginning to put baby formula behind locked counters because theft is getting out of control.
And I think some legislation is being pushed through to stop price gouging. There are those who would seek to profit from this awful situation, of course.
homebuyer6426
Posts: 409
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:08 am

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Sagefemme wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:38 am
stoptothink wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:18 am
Sagefemme wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:16 pm Infant formula! I read that parents are diluting the powdered formula to make it go further, and driving hours to try to get formula. This is truly alarming.
I've heard some horror stories. Apparently stores are beginning to put baby formula behind locked counters because theft is getting out of control.
And I think some legislation is being pushed through to stop price gouging. There are those who would seek to profit from this awful situation, of course.
It is often not easy to distinguish price gouging from normal market forces of supply and demand. Especially in a time of supply shortages. The definition leaves a lot of room for interpretation.
stoptothink
Posts: 11507
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by stoptothink »

homebuyer6426 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:54 am
Sagefemme wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:38 am
stoptothink wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:18 am
Sagefemme wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:16 pm Infant formula! I read that parents are diluting the powdered formula to make it go further, and driving hours to try to get formula. This is truly alarming.
I've heard some horror stories. Apparently stores are beginning to put baby formula behind locked counters because theft is getting out of control.
And I think some legislation is being pushed through to stop price gouging. There are those who would seek to profit from this awful situation, of course.
It is often not easy to distinguish price gouging from normal market forces of supply and demand. Especially in a time of supply shortages. The definition leaves a lot of room for interpretation.
We are seeing countless examples of this right now; "price gouging" clearly is not as simple as some want us to believe.
ScubaHogg
Posts: 1243
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:02 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by ScubaHogg »

Sagefemme wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:16 pm Infant formula! I read that parents are diluting the powdered formula to make it go further, and driving hours to try to get formula. This is truly alarming.
We are insanely thankful ours just graduated from formula.
“Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon.” - Milton Friedman
jebmke
Posts: 15940
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm
Location: Delmarva Peninsula

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by jebmke »

This is an odd one. I live in farm country. I've heard a couple of farm types say that there is a shortage of composted cow manure which they use to increase organic matter in the local clay soil.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
homebuyer6426
Posts: 409
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:08 am

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by homebuyer6426 »

jebmke wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:32 am This is an odd one. I live in farm country. I've heard a couple of farm types say that there is a shortage of composted cow manure which they use to increase organic matter in the local clay soil.
I have heard fertilizer is having a shortage (12% of US imported fertilizer comes from Russia), maybe manure is being used as an alternative as it provides some nutrients too.
jebmke
Posts: 15940
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm
Location: Delmarva Peninsula

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by jebmke »

homebuyer6426 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:24 am
jebmke wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:32 am This is an odd one. I live in farm country. I've heard a couple of farm types say that there is a shortage of composted cow manure which they use to increase organic matter in the local clay soil.
I have heard fertilizer is having a shortage (12% of US imported fertilizer comes from Russia), maybe manure is being used as an alternative as it provides some nutrients too.
Could be; they also use a lot of chicken litter (this is "Big Chicken" country). Don't know how the culls due to avian flu are affecting the chicken population. Obviously if that is dramatically down, the quantity of litter would be down too.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
tim1999
Posts: 4142
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:16 am

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by tim1999 »

tim1999 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:06 am Golf push carts.
Update on this one. The shortage is over. I think the manufacturers over-rebounded a bit from the shortage and the brick and mortar as well as online stores seem to be completely stocked with some sale prices available. I think everyone who never had a push cart and wanted one since the start of the pandemic probably now has one already, so sales are basically to people upgrading or to replace old broken ones. I've also noticed a ton of dirt cheap (<$70) junky Chinese push carts have come on the market in the last year or so.
quantAndHold
Posts: 7340
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by quantAndHold »

Shredded carrots. For weeks now. We have had to grate our own carrots.

The horror!
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
User avatar
firebirdparts
Posts: 3369
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:21 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by firebirdparts »

homebuyer6426 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:24 am
jebmke wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:32 am This is an odd one. I live in farm country. I've heard a couple of farm types say that there is a shortage of composted cow manure which they use to increase organic matter in the local clay soil.
I have heard fertilizer is having a shortage (12% of US imported fertilizer comes from Russia), maybe manure is being used as an alternative as it provides some nutrients too.
I bet so.

Fertilizer will be short world-wide for some time, as long as everybody is mad at Russia. Basic chemicals in Europe depend highly on russia, and they're going to buy ammonia from everywhere else. It's a global commodity and it'll be short everywhere. One good news item there is that all these solar/wind-powered electrolysis green ammonia plants being built will actually be profitable if they can get online while the price is still sky high.

It just makes you realize there sure are a lot of things that have to go right to avoid starving. A bunch of them.
A fool and your money are soon partners
Post Reply